Chapter 2/3

Growing Up With Two Dads

 

“Kibum, are you coming?” Onew called from the front door.

“Yeah just give me a second,” his son replied and joined him and his dad at the door a few moments later.

“I haven’t seen halmoni in like forever,” he said as he buckled his seatbelt inside of his dad’s car.

“We have been there for her birthday the last time,” Minho said and started the engine of his car.

“Oh right, I totally forgot about that…” Kibum admitted sheepishly. “I’ll get chocolate again,” he said and rubbed his hands together in anticipation until Onew sent him a scolding look.

“We’re not visiting our grandma so you get your chocolate,” he said and Kibum cleared his throat.

“Of course no,” he exclaimed. “We’re going there because…what was it again?” he asked with a grin.

“Young man,” Minho said from the driver’s seat and Kibum laughed in the back.

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop.”

They arrived at their destination 15 minutes later and Kibum quickly jumped out of the car and hugged his halmoni as soon as she opened the door.

“There is my lovely grandson,” she said happily. “You have grown so much again, just look at that young man.”

“Halmoni,” Kibum said with a small grin. “I didn’t grow since last time.”

“You only say that because you didn’t notice it.”

The teen laughed. “Sure, halmoni, sure.”

They entered and heard a loud meow from the living room. “Lilly missed you quite a lot,” the elderly woman said. “She only wants to be pet by you.”

“Where is my favorite kitty cat?” Kibum called and crouched down as the cat came running from the living room lazily. She was already quite old but still very active for her age.

She nudged her nose against Kibum’s hand and started purring contently as soon as he began her soft fur.

“Did you miss me?” he asked and the cat meow once again as if to say she indeed had missed him.

They moved over to the living room, Lilly in Kibum’s lap and his hand running through her fur the whole time while they talked. He also got his favorite chocolate from his grandma once again because she always said he was way too skinny and needed to eat more.

 

 

 

“Okay, tomorrow we’re having our family day so gather every one of your family who wants to come and bring something to eats as well. I’m sure we’ll have a great time,” the teacher said.

“Yeah and she’ll be the only one who’s all alone,” Mir said and Kibum and Taemin snickered behind their hands.

“She’ll be like: Henry, darling, why didn’t you come with me I was all alone there,” Kibum said in a badly imitated female voice.

“And Henry turns out to be her old, fat cat,” Taemin added and the three guys laughed loudly, the whole class probably only rolling their eyes at them because they already knew those random outburst of laugher. The teacher sent them a short glare but the bell rang a second later so she couldn’t say anything.

The three friends were known for being mischievous and they hardly could be found separately. They always walked around together, ate lunch together and sat together in class so it wasn’t difficult to figure they were best friends.

Of course they had a few other friends as well but I was always the three of them and some others.

“My mom is like freaking out about this whole thing,” Mir said as they walked home, his arms crossed behind his head and staring up at the blue sky.

“She has been searching for the perfect salad for days until she found it and already practiced it like 6 times. I can’t see this damn salad anymore!” Mir exclaimed loudly his friends laughing at him.

“Be glad my daddy doesn’t make a salad today,” Kibum said with a wide grin and Mir groaned.

“I think I would have murdered him if he did.”

“I think you would get problems with Minho if you really did that,” Taemin said scolding. “Think before you act, violence is not always the answer,” he said loudly, raising his finger and some people looking at the three boys rather oddly, making them laugh once again.

They were still laughing as they entered Kibum’s home and Onew blinked dumbfounded as the three sat down at the already sat table.

“Did I miss something?” he asked, looking at Taemin worriedly who was wiping his teary eyes.

“No, no, nothing,” Kibum sing sang. “You didn’t made salad, did you?”

Onew blinked once again. “No…should I have made some?”

The boys started laughing again as Mir refused furiously, shaking his head and waving his hands around, saying he didn’t have to.

“Daddy, what are we going to make for tomorrow?” Kibum asked while they ate the pasta on their plates.

“Well your dad begged me to make some vegetable bread so I guess I’ll do that…”

“Oh your vegetable bread is soo delicious,” Mir said and Onew smiled. “I’ll save some for you.”

“Yay, thank you~”

 

The next morning Minho who had taken the day off, Onew and Kibum went to school together.

The family day took place every year and was basically just a gathering of every class with parents and/or other relatives that wanted to come. There was lots of food and everyone talked. The parents had a chance to see each other and the teens just talked like on every normal day, eating more than they could or should.

The tables in the classroom had been arranged so it looked like one big table where everyone could sit down.

Some people were already there and placed their food down onto some separated tables, making it look like a big buffet.

The room filled rather quickly and soon everyone was there, chattering could be heard and most people had a plate with different dishes in front of them. Paper cups with water soon all over the place and the whole constellation looked completely out of place at school.

“Key, tell Onew that this bread is delicious,” Mir moaned as he gulped down the third piece of bread in just two minutes.

“I think you’ve told him that often enough already,” Kibum said with a grin and Taemin agreed.

“Watch out or that’ll be your birthday gift for next year,” he said and Mir added that he would have a problem with such a present at all.

“Is that him?” Kibum heard someone whisper behind him and he could see two women from the corner of his eye.

“Yes, that’s the kid with a gay couple as parents. I think his name was Kibum,” the other woman said.

“Really?”

“Yes, they adopted him as far as I heard.”

“Are gay couples even allowed to adopt?”

“I have no idea but they say he’s a bit of a diva.”

“No surprise with such parents.

“Poor child never had a mom who taught him everything.”

“That is pretty sad, something like that should be forbidden.”

Kibum’s hands balled into fists and he took a quiet but deep breath so he wouldn’t disturb Taemin’s and Mir’s argument about bread.

He couldn’t stand it when people pitied him because he was adopted or when they said something about his dads. They had no right to judge them and they were the most perfect parents he could have ever wished for.

Even Mir and Taemin were often jealous of him.

Some people just talked without knowing the truth, gossiping about everything they heard and spreading rumors.

What these women had said was true. He was adopted, yes and he had two dads, yes but he was happy. He was as happy as he could be and wasn’t that the most important thing?

He loved both of his dads and he didn’t need a mom.

“That poo boy will never have a happy life.”

“True, true, he’ll never find the right way with such people as parents.”

That was it for Kibum and he turned around swiftly.

“Yes, I have two dads, problem?” he hissed, glaring at the two women who looked taking aback.

“I love both of them, there is nothing wrong with me, I’m not disadvantaged because I’m adopted, I don’t have to be pitied and I’m happy so where is your problem?” he snapped.

“We…just…” one woman started but Kibum didn’t want to hear any of it.

“Shut it,” he said and shook his head, turning around again and grumbling some curses under his breath.

Mir and Taemin had finished their argument about bread and glared at the two woman as well, making them uncomfortable until they moved away from their seat to the opposite side of the room where they thought they were save.

“I hate those people,” Kibum said, glaring at the table. “They always pity me just because I’m adopted but there is nothing wrong with that.”

“They just don’t have anything better to do,” Taemin said and shook his head.

“Yeah they should mind their own business,” Mir added, making Kibum sigh.

“Let’s just forget about them.”

It was what he did and started talking with his friends once again, sneakily stealing snacks from a girls plate who yelled at them once she noticed who had taken her food.

Kibum looked up and spotted his dads who were talking to Mir’s and Taemin’s parents.

Sure, he was adopted but that didn’t mean he wasn’t loved by his parents. Sure, they were gay but that didn’t mean they weren’t loved by Kibum as well.

 

 

 

“Morning,” 14 years old Kibum mumbled as he sat down at the table for breakfast and started nibbling on a toast. He wasn’t feeling that well and he hadn’t slept much either. At least he didn’t have PE or any important subjects today.

“Are you okay?” Onew asked worriedly because it wasn’t often that he saw his son this pale.

“Hmm, it’s okay,” Kibum said with a weak smile. “Just didn’t sleep much.”

Onew nodded and continued to eat just like Minho who soon left for work, promising to get home soon and telling Kibum to rest a bit after school.

The teen left as well a bit later and dragged himself to school where he sat in his classes and wasn’t really there. Well his body was but his mind was shut down and didn’t listen to anything the teachers sad.

The day was a blur for him and before he knew it he was already home, telling his daddy he would rest in his room for a bit.

He collapsed onto his bed after changing his clothes and closed his eyes, trying to sleep a bit but he only fell in a light slumber and woke up to every noise.

At six his father arrived home, kissed his husband’s cheek and called his son for dinner.

“He didn’t eat lunch today,” Onew said. “I’m a bit worried…”

“I’m sure it’ll go away soon,” Minho reassured him while Kibum dragged himself towards the kitchen with slow steps.

He felt so incredibly hot and his head was pounding like crazy. His mind was fuzzy like there was a fog inside of his head which clouded his eyes as well. He wondered why he was feeling like this since he wasn’t hungry and he had slept a bit as well.

“Hey dad,” he said quietly once he saw Minho and the latter turned around.

“Hey…oh my, you really don’t look good,” he said worriedly and Kibum nodded.

“I don’t feel good either.”

“Maybe it helps to eat a bit,” Onew suggested. “And you won’t go to school tomorrow.”

Kibum only nodded slightly, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes for a moment because his headaches started to get worse.

“I’m not hungry,” he mumbled, trying to keep his eyes from closing again. Why was he so tired?

“I’ll…just…go…to bed…again,” he whispered slowly, his eyes closing and his body falling forward as darkness wrapped around him.

“Kibum!” both of his parents almost screamed at the same time and Minho was quick to jump forward and catch his falling son before his body met the ground in an unpleasant manner.

“Kibum!” he called and shook the boy in his arms but didn’t get a reply. All he felt was the boy’s hot and slightly labored breath fanning against his chest.

“!” he cures and picked his son up bridal style and carried him over to the living room where he laid him down on the couch carefully.

Onew came running after he had turned off the stove and kneelt down next to the unconscious boy, laying a hand on his forehead to feel his temperature.

“He’s burning up,” he said worriedly and ran back to the kitchen to get a bowl with cold water and a cloth. He returned to the living room and laid the damp cloth down on his son’s forehead, looking at him in concern.

“Do you think we should go to the hospital?” Onew asked his husband who was biting his lip.

“Let’s wait and if he doesn’t wake up soon we’ll go.”

The older nodded, turning his eyes back to his son whose breath was still labored.

They waited for about 45 minutes, making sure to keep the boy’s body cool before Kibum stirred slightly and blinked his eyes open, looking around drowsily.

“Kibum!” Onew called relieved and immediately wrapped his arms around the sick boy and started his hair.

“Daddy?” Kibum asked weakly, too tired to move or do something.

“Don’t scare us like that ever again,” Minho scolded and Kibum looked up at him.

“W-what happened?” the boy asked since he couldn’t remember it.

“You fainted,” Onew said and leaned back, looking into his son’s eyes.

“Oh…” the youngest mumbled quietly.

“Come on, we’ll bring you to bed so you can rest,” Minho said and picked his son up who didn’t complain which he would normally do but he was too worn out to protest in any kind of way.

He was already asleep as they arrived at his room and his parents just tugged him into bed, both of them kissing his forehead and leaving the door a bit ajar so they could hear when there was something wrong.

Onew took the next day off and pampered his poor baby, cooking a special get-well-soon soup for him and always checking on him, making sure he wouldn’t faint again.

The fever slowly went down after a day and after three days it was gone completely and Kibum was back to his old self.

 

 

 

“Daddy?” the by now (since 1 month) 15 year old Kibum asked and flopped down next to Onew who was reading a book on the couch in the living room.

“Yeah?”

“I have a question.”

“Which is?” Onew asked and closed his book after remembering the page number.

Kibum started fiddling with his fingers, something he did whenever he was nervous. “I…I was just thinking and…….well…”

Oh, that had to be something big. Onew mentally prepared himself for anything that could possibly come, telling himself he wouldn’t shout at his son under no circumstances and he would also not throw things around. They would talk about it like grown up men and-

“Can I dye my hair?”

Wait….what?

“Can you…..what?” he asked and Kibum looked down.

“Can I dye my hair?” he repeated a bit quieter this time.

Onew looked at his son with big eyes and swallowed. “What color?” he dared to ask.

“Blond?” Kibum almost whispered and Onew breathed out slowly.

“Talk about that with your dad,” he finally said.

“But daddy,” Kibum whined. “You know dad would never allow me to dye my hair.”

“So that’s why you came to me?” Onew asked and Kibum looked at him almost apologetically, not knowing what to say because yes, that was his reason.

The man sighed and massaged his temples. Puberty had probably hit their son. 15 was a difficult age…at least he had read that somewhere.

“We’ll talk about this later,” he finally said.

“But daddy-”

“No Kibum, not now. I’ll think about it and we can talk with your dad later on, okay?”

Kibum hung his head, muttered a quiet ‘okay’ and stood up from the couch to go back to his room. He had hoped his daddy would agree but sadly that hadn’t been the case.

 At dinner he looked at Onew expectantly the whole time until the latter sighed.

“Minho,” he said and his husband looked up from his plate. “Our son wants to ask you something.”

“What is it?” the younger adult asked and Kibum started fiddling with his fingers again. He had hoped his daddy would do the talking but he should have known he wouldn’t do that.

“I…I wanted to ask if I can dye my hair blond…” he said quietly and peeked at his dad who stared at him for a few seconds.

“No,” he then said.

“But dad-”

“Do you even know how many chemicals you’ll put into your hair when you dye it? And it’ll get damaged and it needs to grow out again and that takes forever. Your roots will be showing after a while anyway so you would have to dye it again. You have pretty hair, you don’t have to dye it,” his father said but Kibum wouldn’t give up that easily.

“But I don’t like my hair how it is now,” the teen complained. “And it’s my hair so you don’t have anything to do with it. I can even pay for it myself,” he said and Minho shook his head.

“This is not about the money but your health.”

“But so many people dye their hair,” Kibum said almost whiningly. He just knew his dad wouldn’t let him do it.

“That doesn’t mean you have to be like them,” Minho said and went back to eating.

“I’m not like them,” Kibum protested, slowly getting really upset because his dad almost never allowed him to do something. Maybe it was puberty but he felt like he was about to cry soon over something as silly as this but he really wanted to do it. He had been thinking about it for weeks, always thinking about what his parents might say.

“That’s not the point here. You won’t dye your hair. End of the discussion,” Minho said determinate.

“But-”

“I said end of the discussion,” Minho said, raising his voice slightly and glaring at his son slightly who glared back with teary, hurt eyes.

He sat there for some seconds before he stood up and bolted out of the kitchen towards his room, slamming to door shut and collapsing on his bed where he curled up in the sheets and started to cry, big tears running down his soft cheeks and dripping down onto the sheets. Small sobs bubbled up inside of his him and ragged through his slender body.

He had already fought with his dad like for a few times this and he didn’t like it at all. Why couldn’t he try to understand him?

 

Minho on the other hand sighed and buried his face in his hands. “I did the exact wrong thing, right?” he asked and Onew agreed quietly.

“But his hair is so pretty. Why would he want to dye it?” he asked his husband who shrugged.

“I don’t know but it’s his decision. We shouldn’t forbid him everything he wants to try out. He knows what he’s doing, he’s not stupid,” Onew said softly and laid a hand on his lover’s shoulder who sighed once again.

“If it was only a bit lighter or some small highlights okay but…blond?” he said and shook his head, not understanding why his son liked the idea so much. “I just don’t get it.”

Onew sighed quietly, not liking to see the two persons he loved the most like this. “But he is right,” he said softly. “It is his hair so when it’s damaged he has to deal with it. You know how much he cares about his appearance.”

Minho chuckled and nodded. “Yeah…probably more than some other boys his age.” He leaned back in his chair and looked at his lover.

“Should we let him try it out?” he asked and Onew smiled softly, nodding.

“And now go speak to him. I don’t like it when you two are like this.”

Minho kissed his husband’s cheek. “Me neither.” With that he stood up and went towards his son’s room, straining his ears only to hear some small sobs coming from the other side of the door.

He sighed quietly and knocked, not waiting for a reply before he entered. Kibum was curled up on his bed, the sheets around him in a messy pile and he glance at the door, turning his back towards his father who had just entered his room.

“Leave me alone,” he said, his voice weak and wavering from his crying.

“You and I both know that I won’t do that,” Minho said but didn’t get a response. It broke his heart to hear his loved son cry like this because of him. He went over to the bed and sat down on the edge, watching how Kibum turned his back towards him.

“So you’re really serious about dying your hair?” the adult asked.

“Yes.”

“You really want to do it?”

“Yes,” Kibum said and glared at his dad, his cheeks wet from his tears and his eyes slightly red.

Minho sighed and nodded. “Okay then but don’t come running to me when you don’t like it.”

Kibum turned around to him with big eyes. “Really?” he asked. “You…you’ll let me do it?”

His dad nodded and a second later the teen flung himself around the man’s neck, hugging the living daylights out of him.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” he squealed and bounced with every word, making Minho smile at his behavior.

A small kiss was planted onto his cheek and after that his son jumped down from his bed and ran into the kitchen.

“Daddy! Dad allowed me to dye my hair,” he said exited, jumping up and down and Onew smiled.

“That’s good, I’m happy for you.”

Kibum rushed back and jumped at his dad as he saw him coming out of his room, clinging to him like a koala baby and planting another kiss onto his cheek.

“Thank you,” he said one more time before he skipped back to his room to write Taemin the great news.

 

A week later he and Onew were at the hair salon, the teen excited as hell as he was led to a chair he could sit on while his father just stat at the front and read a magazine.

Kibum chose the shade of blond he liked the most and the hairdresser started applying the mixture to his still dark brown hair.

It took about an hour until everything was ready and Kibum saw his new hair for the first time, smiling like a fool because he liked it so much.

The hairdresser blow dried his hair and styled it a bit before he was released to see his dad who was still sitting in his chair clueless since he was readying and interesting article about chicken.

“Daddy?”

Onew looked up. “Wow,” he said and stared at his son who was smiling happily.

“How does it look?” the teen asked with hopeful eyes and his father stood up, taking a closer look at his now perfectly dyed, blond hair.

“Good, good…just…let me get used to it,” he said and Kibum grinned.

“I wonder what dad is going to say.”

 

“Dad, dad! Look, look my hair!” Kibum called as soon as Minho had entered the apartment and ran to the front door, leaving Onew to chuckle at his excited son who seemed to have turned a few years younger once again.

“Oh…wow,” Minho said and inspected his son’s new look. “I have to admit…it actually looks really good just a bit…unfamiliar,” he said with a smile, running his fingers through the blond hair.

“Yeah but you’ll get used to it and I really like it and it’s not even that damaged,” Kibum said happily.

“I can’t wait to show this Taemin tomorrow,” he said and ran back to the kitchen to help Onew prepare dinner.

“Hey honey,” Onew said and leaned back on Minho as he hugged his husband, both of them watching their son whirl around the kitchen with his new hairstyle.  

“He has grown up so fast,” Minho mumbled and the older agreed quietly.

“He’s a fine young man.”

“I wonder when we start having to deal with girls,” Minho said and chuckled.

“I don’t know,” Onew mumbled. “Until now there hasn’t been that much besides his friends but he doesn’t seem to have any love interests in them.”

Minho hummed in agreement. “Well, it’ll come soon enough.” He leaned down and connected their lips in a sweet kiss, both of them too caught up in their little moment of love to notice Kibum glancing at them and shaking his head with a smile. He didn’t want to interrupt them for now but it was as he heard some small noise which could only come from his daddy that he perked up and decided to interrupt.

He cleared his throat, turning to his dads and pushing out one side of his hip with his hand on it, giving his dads a scolding look as they parted and looked at him.

“I really have nothing against you two showing your affection but please don’t jump each other in the kitchen as long as I’m in here. Go do that in your bedroom and don’t let your innocent son see such scenes,” he said scolding at his parents who looked at him dumbfounded before both of them grinned.

“Are you jealous?” Minho asked teasingly and Kibum made a face.

“Eww no, you two share each other but let me have my peace.”

“Aww our poor baby boy needs some attention too,” Onew said and he and Minho quickly walked over to the teen who had a horrified look on his face.

“No, no, no stay where you are,” he said and tried to flee because he knew what would happen next. He soon found himself in between his parents, both of them hugging him to their chest a planting big, wet kiss on his cheek.

“Ew, ew, ew,” Kibum whined and struggled to get away, rubbing his cheeks furiously once he succeeded. He pouted at his dads who both laughed at him.

“You really liked that when you were younger,” Onew said and Kibum rolled his eyes.

“Yeah back then I was still clueless.”

His parents laughed again and Minho petted his son’s head.

 

 

 

“Kibum?” Minho asked and knocked on his son’s door. There was no reply so he entered and looked around. The room was almost spotless like always since Kibum really liked to keep his stuff organized and tidy. He always nagged at Minho when he wouldn’t put his shoes in the shoe shelf next to the door.

Yeah, their son was a little diva sometimes.

Minho scratched the back of his head, wondering where his son might be before he spotted a box he had never seen before on the desk and several things lying all over the place. He frowned and walked closer to take a look at the small mess, frowning even more as he saw what it was.

BB Cream, foundation, powder, eyeshadow, lash curler, lip balm, eyeliner…

Wait, all of this was makeup and no one in the house possessed things like these so Kibum must have bought them for himself.

Did this mean he wore make up?

“Dad? What are you doing?” Kibum asked as he came into his room and grabbed a jacket, not really looking at his father who still had an unreadable expression on his face.

“Kibum,” he said. “I think we need to talk.”

“But not now,” his son replied. “I have to go to Taemin’s birthday party or I’ll be late. See you tomorrow,” he said and waved at his dad who wanted to say something but the blonde was already out of the door and on his way to his best friend’s house.

 

The next morning Minho didn’t get the chance to talk to his son since he immediately went to take a shower after he had come back from Taemin’s. After that he was busy in his room and went out a little while later, once again cutting off his dad because he was in a hurry.

Onew didn’t know what was wrong with his husband because he kept on looking at their son oddly but he shrugged it off for now, not thinking it was something big.

Kibum came home at around 9 in the evening, closing the door behind himself and walking towards the kitchen once he had taken of his jacket and shoes.

“I’m home,” he said and walking into the living room where he found his parents on the couch.

Minho stood up immediately and towered over his son who looked at him bewildered.

“What’s wrong?”

Onew was looked at his lover questioning as well.

The younger adult narrowed his eyes as he saw what he was searching for. “What is that on your face?” he asked with crooked eyebrow and Kibum’s hand came up to touch his cheek, avoiding eye contact with his dad.

“Wae? Is there something on my face?” he asked, trying to act like everything was normal while he was freaking out inwardly.

“Don’t play dumb with, Kibum. What is on your face?” Minho asked again.

“I don’t what you’re talking about,” Kibum mumbled, hoping his dad would let it slide but he knew that would never be the case.

“Kibum, I know what I’m seeing and I can clearly see that you’re wearing makeup.”

The blonde lowered his head, biting his lip while Onew blinked dumbfounded. Makeup?

“What’s wrong with that?” their son asked quietly, not looking at his parents.

Minho looked at him like he couldn’t believe it. “What’s wrong with that?! You’re not a girl for gods shake and even if you were you’re way too young to use stuff like that.”

Kibum glared at his father with hurt eyes. “So only girls are allowed to wear makeup or what?” he asked angrily.

“Don’t speak in that voice to me, Kibum,” his dad warned.

“You’re getting off the topic,” his son snapped.

“Yes, Kibum, in my opinion makeup is something for girls or women and not something a 15 year old boy should play around with.”

“I’m not playing with it!” the blonde said, feeling insulted and stomped his foot.

“Why would you even want to use it? You’re just covering up who you really are,” Minho reasoned, not understanding his son one bit.

“I’m not covering myself up and his is who I am!”

“Stop fooling yourself, this is not who you are and shouldn’t want to be like this either.”

“Why shouldn’t I?!”

“Stop snapping at me like that!”

“You always forbid me to do something just because it’s not what other boys do!”

“And I can do that, I’m your father.”

“A bad one!”

“GUYS!” Onew yelled, fed up with the two squabblers. Minho and Kibum were both very stubborn and often had different opinions on things so they almost always started bickering and sometimes they both overstepped the boundaries.

“I think it looks good,” Onew said with a soft smile and he saw Kibum relaxing visibly.

Minho turned around to him with wide eyes. “Excuse me?” he asked and his husband sighed.

“It looks good and he enjoys it so why shouldn’t he wear makeup?”

His younger lover gaped at him, opening his mouth to say something but Onew just lifted his hand. “Shut it. Kibum, honey, you look good, don’t let dad tell you otherwise okay?” he said with a sweet smile.

The blonde smiled softly and mouthed a small ‘thank you’ before he turned around and went to his room, letting of some steam his father had caused.

 

The next morning Minho looked up as his son came into the kitchen for breakfast, immediately noticing the black eyeliner and he opened his mouth to scold the blonde but a kick against his shin together with a glare from Onew let him shut his mouth again.

“Morning,” Kibum said and flopped down on a chair.

“Morning honey, do you have late classes today?” Onew asked and Kibum nodded.

“Until 5.”

“Okay then I’ll give you some money for lunch.”

“Thanks daddy,” Kibum said and pecked his father’s cheek who only nodded.

Minho still hadn’t accepted the fact that his son wore makeup but didn’t say anything about it anymore. He didn’t think his opinion would change sometime soon but a week later Nicole, one of Kibum’s friends, came over one evening surprisingly while he was sitting in the living room.

“Aah Key, you have to help me!” she squeaked as soon as she saw the boy and ran past Onew who only chuckled.

She threw herself at the poor teen who had trouble catching all of her weight.

“Urgh, what’s wrong?” he asked once he had survived the force of the hug.

“I’m going to this party later on and I have just nooooo idea what to do with my makeup! I’m hopeless! I just don’t get it right,” the girl said hopelessly and Kibum sighed.

“You never get it right,” he muttered.

“Exactly! Come on, you have to fix me.”

With that she dragged the blonde towards his room and kicked the door shut once both of them were inside.

Minho only blinked dumbly at the scene. What had just happened? Had a girl seriously asked his son for advice regarding makeup? A girl had asked a guy???

“See?” Onew asked as he sat down next to his shocked husband. “The girls all love him for this.”

Minho turned his head towards his lover who grinned at him.

“He told me that every day he gets asked how he gets the eyeliner to look so god and what products he uses.” The older laughed and shook his head.

“I think he’s really expressing who he is like this. He was never one to be interested in car races, soccer or working out like most of the guys. He’s just different”

“What do you mean exactly?” Minho asked curiously and his husband smiled at him.

“I think he takes after us.”

 

Half an hour later Nicole and Kibum came out of his room again, the girl looking completely different from before. She looked a lot more mature and her hair was styled up to perfection.

“Oh god, you save me,” Nicole said and laughed.

“I love you for doing this,” she said and planted a small kiss on Kibum’s cheek.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said and waved his hand. “And now go or you’ll be too late.”

“Oh it’s so late already? I really forgot the time,” the girl said. “See you and thanks again,” she said and waved before she quickly walked away in her high heels.

Kibum sighed as he closed the door and shook his head. Only then he noticed his dad standing at the other end of the hallway.

“What?” he asked, still a bit angry at his dad because of the fight they had a few days ago.

“Kibum, I…” Minho started but didn’t know how to phrase it correctly. He scratched the back of his neck.

“You?” the blonde asked?

“I just…I’m sorry, okay? For what I said.” Minho said and Kibum stayed silently, watching his father warily.

“I’m just worried you’ll get the wrong path because teens at your age often do stuff the regret later on and I don’t want you to experience that. I’m just worried, you know? I’m not the best at showing that and I’m probably doing always the wrong thing but I really try hard,” Minho said and sighed.

“I try to understand you but somehow I can’t. It’s probably because we’re both so different and I don’t want you to make some mistakes I did when I was your age. I just want the best for you and watch out so you won’t be dragged down from all that around you. I don’t want society to pressure you into doing things you don’t want. I want you to be yourself and I guess makeup is a part of you now.”

Minho massaged his temple with his fingertips.

“I’ll try to understand, I really will. I’ll try my best and I hope you can forgive me for being not so open minded and laid back like your daddy most of the times. Maybe we can just leave this behind and start again?” he asked and looked up, only to notice that his son was already standing in front of him with a small smile.

“You’re adorable when you ramble like this,” the blonde said and stepped closer to hug his surprised dad, snuggling into his chest.

“And you know I can’t stay mad at you for too long.”

Minho smiled softly and wrapped his arms around his son’s slender frame. “I’m sorry,” he said and kissed the teen’s crown while Kibum just shook his head.

“It’s okay, that’s just the I-am-an-overprotective-parent-sickness, nothing to worry about,” he said with a small grin and his dad ruffled his hair.

“Yeah and you have the princess-sickness.”

Kibum nodded. “Probably.”

Onew smiled as he saw the two making up again and shook his head with a sigh. “Always the same.”

 

 

 

It was around 4 months later that Kibum came out to his parents. The teen had noticed he didn’t think about girls like other guys did. He saw them as great friends but nothing more. His eyes were always drawn towards handsome men.

He hadn’t talked about this with anyone except for Taemin and the younger supported him what the blonde was quite thankful for.

Now it was time to tell his dads and he didn’t know why he was so nervous since the two were openly gay themselves but he couldn’t help it but feel slightly afraid of their reactions.

He had heard the worst things about teens that came out to their parents and he wanted none of that to happen. He loved his dads and he couldn’t be more thankful to them for adopting him and bearing with his sometimes twisted personality.

They had always supported him and he knew he could talk about everything with them.

So that is why he decided his parents had the right to know about his…preference of gender. He had waited until his dad came home from work and they ate dinner together.

The teen was in the middle of doing the dishes for his daddy while the two love birds talked a bit.

It was now or never.

“Dads?” Kibum asked without turning around. He didn’t want to look at them, he couldn’t. He was already far too nervous for his own good so he didn’t want to see their reactions once he told them.

“Yeah?” both of them replied and turned around to their son who was biting his lower lip.

“I…wanted to tell you something.”

“Sure,” Minho said, always happy to listen what his son had to tell since he wasn’t home as much as Onew was. The older worked as well but only part time so he was almost always home when Kibum came back from school.

“Go for it.”

Kibum took a shaky breath, his hands trembling a bit in the hot water in the sink and wave hotness washed over him only to turn in an icy cold feeling. He always had this when he was afraid of talking, something that happened him in front of the class when he didn’t know an answer sometimes.

“I….,” he grabbed onto the cloth he used for cleaning the dishes and started folding and squeezing it so he had something to do.

“You won’t hate me, right?” he asked shakily and his parents looked at each other surprised with a bit of worry in their eyes.

“Of course not, honey,” Onew said softly, trying to figure out what was wrong. “We would never hate you. We both love you quite a lot.”

Kibum smiled weakly and nodded, chewing on his lower lip again. His heart was thumping in his chest and voice was probably a wreck but he spoke up nevertheless.

“I…..I think I’m gay,” he finally said quietly, hanging his head and fighting the tears that were pooling in his eyes.

He always started to cry when he thought about this topic and he was just stressed out right now. His emotions were all over the place and he actually just wanted to run and hide under his covers in his room and never come out again but he stood his ground.

“You think or you know?” Minho asked softly.

“I think I know I’m gay,” was Kibum’s weak reply and silence was what followed.

“I don’t know long I’ve been like this but I guess it was always the case,” Kibum said, trying to keep his voice steady while his eyes started burning slightly.

“I mean I was never interested in girls in that way and I’ve never looked at them like that. Lately I’ve been just starting to look at guys instead of girls and I just…I have the feeling that I like them more. I don’t know how to describe it but it’s just…”

Kibum took a deep breath, the first tears spilling over and rolling down his cheeks.

“I’m sorry if I disappoint you when I am like this b-but it’s just what I f-feel and I don’t think I change it. I wanted to tell you and please d-don’t be mad at me. I-I really tried to ignore it and I thought maybe it would g-go away but it didn’t.”

The blonde sniffled and gasped as he was turned around swiftly and pressed against his dad’s firm chest, muscular arms hugging him close.

“I-I’m s-sorry,” he sobbed and Minho grabbed onto his son’s shoulder, pulling away and looking into his eyes.

“What are you sorry for?” he asked and Kibum looked down.

“For d-disappointing you. You probably wanted grandchildren a-and-”

“Oh god, Kibum, no,” Minho said and pressed his son against his chest again. “Of course we’re not disappointed in you,” he reassured and the blonde’s hair in a calming manner while the teens just grabbed onto the back of his shirt.

“Y-you’re not?” Kibum asked and his dad shook his head.

“Why would be disappointed? You can love who you want and you’ll still be our loved son.”

Kibum whimpered quietly and sobbed into his dad’s shirt like a 5 year old. He didn’t care for now, he just wanted someone he could hold onto and he felt save in his father embrace. It calmed him down slowly until he was only sniffling quietly.

Only then his father pulled back and Onew came to hug his little baby boy.

“Why didn’t you tell us sooner?” he asked because he had noticed Kibum had been a bit down during the last few weeks and they could have helped him.

“I was scared,” the teen admitted quietly.

“Oh honey, you can always come to us and tell us everything. There is nothing that could make us hate you. This is who you are and you shouldn’t be ashamed of afraid of it, okay?”

Kibum nodded in his daddy’s shoulder and leaned back to wipe his tears. He smiled softly at his parents who both ruffled his hair.

“Sooo,” Onew said and grinned. “Is there already a prince charming that has caught your eye?”

Kibum turned his head away and blushed a bit, something that had never happened before.

“Aigo,” Minho said. “He’s blushing already so there has to be someone.”

The blonde just shook his head, avoiding eye contact.

“Aww, come on, you can tell daddy,” Onew said and leaned in more. “Please~”

“W-Woohyun,” Kibum stuttered. “That’s his name.”

“Aha, so there is one,” Minho said and grinned as his son shrunk down even more.

“But he’s like the prince of the school so I can basically just forget him,” the teen said and sighed sadly.

“Nonsense,” his dad said and waved his hand. “You’ll catch his eye in no time.”

“You think so?” Kibum asked quietly and looked up with hopeful eyes.

“Of course,” his father encouraged. “You are beautiful, polite, nice, lovable, why shouldn’t be notice you?”

Kibum smiled softly.

“Do you think he would like me?” he asked unsurely.

“Sure! Who doesn’t like you?” Minho said enthusiastically and Kibum had to bite his lip to prevent a wide smile from sneaking onto his face.

His dads were simply the best.

 

 

 

“Daddy!” Kibum called as soon as he was inside the apartment and Onew almost dropped his coffee.

“Oh geez,” he said and sat the cup down on the table so it would be in danger anymore.

“Daddy, daddy, daddy!” Kibum repeated wildly and came running into the kitchen, almost tackling his father to the ground with his hug.

“Guess what happened, guess what happen,” the teen squealed and jumped up and down.

“Uhh…” Onew scratched the back of his head. “You got an A in math?” he tried.

“No.”

“…in art?”

“Uhrg no, daddy, don’t be so slow,” Kibum said impatiently and waited for his daddy to get the right answer.

“Uhh…there is a big summer sale?” Onew tried again but Kibum shook his head.

“No, no, no, no, no…..it’s something else.”

Onew thought for one more time. What else could there be than good marks and a summer sale? “Your dance class won a competition?”

“What?” Kibum asked and shook his head. “No, we don’t have any competitions. But daddy,” he whined frustrated.

“I’m sorry honey, I have no idea,” Onew finally gave up and Kibum sighed but grinned again a second later.  

“Woohyun asked me out,” he squealed and was jumping up and down again.

Woohyun…Woohyun. Who was that again? Onew was sure he had heard that name before. “Ah, is that your crush? The school’s prince?” he asked with big eyes and his son nodded excitedly.

“Aw I’m so happy for you, honey,” Onew said and hugged the blonde who was a little bundle of energy at the moment.

“He really asked you out on a date?” the adult asked.

“Yes! He said he’d pick me up tomorrow at 5 and we’ll go to the cinema,” Kibum squealed. “We have to go shopping!”

Onew’s face fell. “But…we were just shopping last week,” he whined since his son loved shopping and dragged him from store to store for hours straight.

“Yeah but you have to pay for me,” Kibum said and took his daddy’s hand. “Come on, we have to go.”

And with that Onew was dragged out of the house, pouting because he had to leave his delicious coffee behind and had to run around and carry bags of clothes instead.

 

The next day at around half past 4pm Kibum was already ready for his date and came into the living room.

“How do I look?” he asked his dads who were watching TV at the moment. They turned around and saw their son in skinny jeans, a red Hollister shirt and a pair of grey sneakers on his feet. His blonde hair was styled and a bit curly on top of his head, falling into his face just above his eyes.

“Good, I’m sure Woohyun will like it,” Onew said with a smile.

“I just hope I’m not like…really awkward and mess up,” Kibum said quietly and bit his lip in worry.

“Of course not, you’ll two get along just fine,” his dad said encouragingly as his son flopped down on the couch next to them.

“I’m just really nervous,” Kibum admitted with a shy smile and his daddy patted his thigh because he knew he wasn’t allowed to mess up his hair.

“Everyone is nervous on the first date, that’s normal,” he reassured. “You don’t even want to know how nervous I was on the first date with your dad,” he said and laughed.

“Yeah, he tripped about 5 times, dropped his drink and almost lost his wallet,” Minho said with a grin.

“Really?” Kibum asked and laughed.  

“I was a bit clumsy back then,” his daddy said.

“We called it the ‘Onew Condition’,” Minho said and their son laughed even harder.

“Onew Condition,” he repeated quietly and shook his head.

“I hope I didn’t inherit it.”

“Maybe you did,” his daddy teased. “We’ll name it the ‘Kibum Condition – Generation 2’.”

“Don’t you dare,” the blonde said.

“But it seems like it was appealing or we wouldn’t have ended up like this,” Onew said and smiled at his husband.

“Of course it was appealing. You were just too cute how you always tripped over air or your own feet and I always had to catch you,” Minho said and chuckled at those old memories.

“Do you still remember that one time at the park?” Onew asked and Minho started laughing loudly.

“Of course, how could I forget something like that?”

“And at the café…”

“Yeah…good old times…”

The two adults sighed, lost in their thoughts and Kibum rolled his eyes with a smile. “Can you wait with ‘going back to your old times where you were still young and fresh’ until I’m away?” he asked and his parents both looked at him.

“Young man,” Minho started playfully but then the doorbell rang and Kibum stood up hastily.

“I’ll be going then,” he said.

“Have fun, honey,” Onew called.

“Don’t come home too late, don’t take anything from stranger, call me if he tries something stupid, don’t go with people you don’t know and don’t do something you don’t feel comfortable with! Call me if there is something wrong and I’ll be there in a second.”

“Dad,” Kibum said. “I’ll be fine. I’m 15, not 5.” He picked up his keys. “See you later,” he said and waved his parents before he opened the door.

“Hey Woohyun.”

“Hi Key, you look good.”

“Thank you,” Kibum replied shyly and that was the last thing the two males inside heard before the door fell shut and the two ran towards the window, watching how the teens left.

“I don’t know what I should think of him,” Minho said and mustered this so called Woohyun. “He looks like a player…I don’t like him.”

Onew slapped his arm. “Don’t judge before you met him,” he scolded. “I think he looks nice.”

“But what if he tries something stupid?” Minho asked worriedly.

“Relax Minho, I’m sure everything will be fine.”

“You are too relaxed about this,” his husband muttered sulkily.

“You are just too worried.”

“Of course I’m worried. Our son just went on his first date with his first boyfriend,” he said.

“I know, I know but still, we should let him go and not keep him hidden somewhere. He has to learn as well.”

“But what if he’s heartbroken later on?” Minho asked worried.

“Then it’s our job to make sure he’ll get over him,” Onew replied with a smile and the younger sighed.

“If you think so.”

Onew leaned over and kissed his lover’s cheek. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Here is the next chapter and I hope you liked it as much as the first one. The response was great so thank you, thank you, thank you. Hopefully you'll like this and the following chapter as well.

*gasp!* Kibum's first boyfriend was not Jonghyun! Omo, omo, omo. What will happen?

Well, only I know *evil laugher*

Anyway I was sooo happy about the many comments last chapter so please write as much as you want, I won't stop you~

There is still one chapter to go and don't worry, it's already written down and I'll upload it next Saturday.

Stay tuned everyone, bye bye~ <3

 

Around 8,600 words