The First Time I Heard from Him

Days Go By....

Sarang's POV

Imagine potty training without your dad. He's gone on Fathers Day as well. Not to mention when you learned how to ride a bike. The worst is when he isn't there on the first day of kindergarten. Can you even imagine ALL of these joyous moments without your dad?

Most people at least talk to their dad on the phone. I never spoke to my dad after he left. It's not that I hate him or anything. He just never calls us.

Yup, us. Just me, Mommy, and occasionally my aunt, Aunt Sunny.

Well, back to the Dad talk. What would you do when he suddenly calls on the first day of Second Grade? Would you pour out all your anger, or cry heaps of tears, begging him to come back? Maybe you'd act as if it was your first time meeting him, and start with the basic "Hi, my name is Sarang and I am 7 years old."

So, what am I supposed to do when suddenly my Dad calls me after five years and tell me he loves me?

Well, all I said was, "Good to know. Now I have to go to school."

Lame, right? My Dad tells me how much he loves me, and I say good to know?

Anyway, I had a normal day at school. Since I was still in 2nd grade, it wasn't that boring. We colored big, bubble-number addition problems for math, went on a "nature hike" for science, read a picture book for reading, and during my favorite subject (writing) we got to write in our "school journals." Lunch was awesome, because my mommy made me American food, and I got to brag to my friends about my American food, while they just ate kimchi.

When I got home-That's when the drama started. The sky was my favorite shade of blue and the clouds were fluffy and white. The sun was shining with a pre-September shine, and they were a few birds here and there.

However, my Mommy was NOT that happy today. I got home and attempted to go upstairs, but my Mommy called me back downstairs with a stern voice. Normally, I'm not that scared, but my Mommy has never talked to me like this.

I hesitantly walked towards her.

"Yes, Mommy?" I answered.

"Did you talk to anybody on the phone this morning?" She asked.

"Yes, Mommy."

"Who did you talk to?"

"Daddy. He called me and told me he loved me."

I'm not speaking like a seven-year-old am I? To clarify that, I speak more mature than others my age.

"What kept you from telling me?" Mommy demanded.

"I-I...." I stared at the ground, looking for a response.

"Perhaps you'd like to tell him yourself?" She spun around the laptop to reveal my Dad looking at me on some kind of Video Chat.

"A-Appa-" I started.

"Shhh.." He shushed me, "May I ask you, Sarang, will you let me live with you and your mother?"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, this chapter had a lot of Sarang, but I promise that later chapters will have A TON of SooKey!