Thank You

Yellow Bicycle
“That's it, I’ve made up my mind. I will learn how to ride a bicycle,” I say with burning spirit.
“Eyy, are you sure? If you’re still scared you don't have to push yourself,” he remarks as he tries to cool down my fire.
 
“Are you kidding me? I’m not gonna let that Jung YuRi teases me any longer for not knowing how to ride a bicycle.”
He sighs.
“You don’t have to listen to her, and I can always let you ride with me on my bike."
“No. You have to teach me tomorrow, okay?” I’ve made up my mind, and nobody can change it.
“Okay, fine. But, can you wake up early tomorrow?”
How dare he ask me such question. Of course I can.
 
“Nam WooHyun, just see. I’ll wake up earlier than you and I’m gonna go to your house to wake your up.”
“I get it, you better sleep now then. Good night.”
“Good night.”
 

 

As I flicker my eyes open, the sunlight immediately enters and I shut my eyes again immediately. I wriggle around the bed for awhile, then sit up on my bed with my eyes closed. I reach out my hand to the night stand beside my bed and fumble for my phone. I thought that I wake up before my alarm rang but surprisingly, not so, it's 9 a.m.
 
“It’s 9 already?!”
I know I’m not good at waking up early but how it the world I actually missed my alarm which I’ve set up 2 hours ago with the loudest volume and the most annoying sound ever, I have no idea.
I don’t even think about getting into the shower anymore, I’m sure I’ll be sweaty by the time I get home anyways. I just wash my face and brush my teeth hurriedly. I’m late, which means I must run.
 
“Sorry,” I say as I catch my breath. I put my hands on WooHyun’s shoulder to help me stand on my feet. He's laughing uncontrollably at me.
“Hey!”
I hit his shoulder. With my hair just tied up in a messy ponytail while wearing a shirt with training pants, I look messy, no scratch that, hideous.
 
“I should’ve bet with you last night. Told you, you won’t be able to wake up at 7,” he says with his annoying smile while wiping my forehead with the hem of his sleeve. 
“Oh, just forget about this. We need to focus on helping me master this bike by today.”
I huff while looking at the yellow bicycle.
 
“I hope so.”
 

 

“Nam WooHyun, I’m gonna chop your head off if you let me go, okay."
Nervously, I hop on the bike.
“I’m not gonna let you go. Just look forward and pedal,” he instructs. He holds both sides of the bike to keep me stable.
 
“Okay, I got it.” I pedal and the yellow bicycle plunge forward and in a second, it tilts to the right and collapse.
"Kim SunHwa are you okay?” WooHyun rushes to my side and lifted the bike that's pressing me down to the ground.
 
My legs are full of scratches and my knees are bleeding. I try to stand up but it hurts too much. WooHyun helps me up and assists me to walk to a nearby bench. I sit with the pain and my eyes are getting teary.
 
“You said you wouldn’t let go, why did you?” I say half-crying.
“I’m sorry SunHwa,” he apologizes as he pulls out my favorite chocolate candy from his pocket and hands it to me. As I pops the candy into my mouth, he pulls out a bag filled with alcohol, cottons and band-aids to clean my wound.
 
“You promise not to give up. Learning to cycle is hard, but you need to fall first before you can ride this properly.” He rubs a cotton drenched in alcohol to my wound and clean it, I wince at the pain.
 
“I fell multiple times and wounded my kneea and legs before. But now? I was able to ride a bike. Professionally.” He blows my wound and the pain slowly subsided.
“Do you know Judo?” He asks. I watch him closely, taking care of my wounds slowly and puts a band-aid at my knee.
“In Judo," he continues. He grabbed both my hands and looks at me softly. “You have to learn to fall properly first.”
He then sticks the pink band-aid on my lower right arm.
“So, take this fall as a sign that you’ll soon be successful in riding a bike on your own.” He ruffled with my hair.
“Now, stop sulking and we’ll start all over again, okay?”
 
He tugs the sides of my mouth and forms a smile.
 
“All this talk cheered me but if I fall once again, then I’ll give up," I say in definitive.
“And you’re going to let Jung YuRi tease you again?”
“Nam WooHyun!” I yell, annoyed.
“I understand, princess.” He teases me and he gives a salute.
I feel better and laugh, WooHyun helps me stand up from the bench and walk towards the yellow bicycle.
“Are you ready?” He asks with a big smile.
I nod.