Chapter 1

Perfect Imperfection

Epilogue

“ Aishh. What with all these street boy nowadays.” One head slightly twisted left and right in disapproval towards that one spot where the young boys hanging out carelessly.

He trailed his eyes to the same direction with his partner beside him. Lips curled into a thin line. “You”

The partner looked at him.

“ I was a street boy.”

Silent.

They looked at each other, two pairs of eyes conversed in silent.

Laugh exploded.

“ Me too.”

“You are so decent.” Laughed again.

“Mocking me.” Eyes rolled upward.

 

*

 

Outside the window, sky already pitched black. The unseen cloud started to drop its massive droplets of rain. Yoo Changhyun tidied the scattered papers on the desk. His head banging slowly followed the voice of Jason Derulo singing .

His eyes darted to the clock on the side wall in his bedroom: 11.45. Hmm..still early. But eyelids already felt like been hanged with a refrigerator full of foods. Eyes rolling circle upfront with thousands of words in the desktop.

He put the paperwork ‘U into Us’ in the purple file. Done, the paperwork 159 pages typed in A4 paper. He breath, relieved. Finally this bizarre project reached its end! Project for homeless people that been sponsored by his college that finished last week. Classified as one of the mega project of the years.

His role as the Secretary of the project make him out of breath. Running to everywhere like a retarded horse. Chasing all those company to gain sponsorship, the upper persons of the college, the NGOs  even including the Project Director that always missing in action. Even chasing a dog not as tired as this. And, in the end the one who will get the spotlight is Project Director. Changhyun sighed. If he ever had a power, he will turn that moron into a sewing machine let him moving in just the same place.

He then dragged his himself from study table to his sparkling bed. He grabbed his Smartphone on the side table. Fingers dancing on the flat screen, sending a message. Done that, he jumped on the bed. Exhausted.

Pulled down the wireless headphone on his neck, he off the MP3 and put them on beside the table lamp. Eyes trailed to big posters of Slam Dunk, Jordan, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant. The wall next to it full with Tony Hawk, Mike McGill, Jerry Hsu and Jamie Thomas. Filled the wall from ceiling to the floor.

Eyes already formed a thin line. He yawned. He grabbed his phone and dialed a certain number.

“Changhyunnie…” Voice at the other line whined. “ Acts like my room is far like California to make a call. Just a next room right..”

“Hyung.. I am tired like hell right now..” Changhyun rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. “ What are you doing, hyung?”

“ Assignment.” Yoo Youngjin knocked the pen in his fingers on the thick psychology book on the table. “ Why?”

“ Tomorrow, please wake me up. I wants to off my phone after this..."

“ I know I know..If you didn’t wake up tomorrow, hyung know what to do. Just sleep. Next time don’t sleep for the entire week. What with if you black out.”

“Hyung, stop your blabbering.” Changhyun smile. My dear brother..start already….”Thanks.”

“Unn..Night.”

“Night.”

 

*

 

“ Morning Mr. Kim.” Changhyun greeted once he got into the room of the social work supervisor.

Mr. Kim get up from his chair. Smiling. “ Ah, Changhyun. Please, be seated.” He invited while get back down on his place. “Hope that I’m not causing inconvenience taking your time like this?”

Changhyun smiled.  “ No Sir.” He paused a moment. “Anything wrong with U into Us, sir?” He worried a little.

“No. No. “ Mr. kim wailed his hand. “ It was a blast. Even the principal was really pleased. You guys are great.” He stared at Changhyun with a look with meaning and a sincere smile tugged at his old lips. “You are the greatest.”

“No Sir. You’re the greatest.”

“Okay, back to business. I need you to do me a favour.”

Changhyun ‘s eyebrow cocked upward. Eyes full of questions.

“ You know Choi Jonghyun?”

Changhyun’s forehead wrinkled. Who is that? I already have problem recognizing people. This college has thousands of students.  Aishh..”Course?”

“ Business Management also. My student.”

“ I don’t know, sir. What’s with him?”

Mr. Kim pulled out one file in front of him. “ Could you be his mentor and partner, for a mini project? For the planning and the tedious paperwork part only.”

“Haa?” Chaghyun jaw dropped. Hanging open. “ Meaning , sir?”

“This guy’s social work service hours is not enough. He needs all the help that he can get.” Mr. Kim give him a pleading look. “ Changhyun, you can help me right? Also help him at the same time.”

Changhyun stared at nothing for a moment. ” Sir, I don’t know this guy.”

Mr. Kim smile. “ We will fix that. Tomorrow at twelve forty five?

 

*

 

Just another problem. Have to mentor some stranger…Changhyun sighed. With his own works piled big as mountain and add this one. Crap..

Its already late. He will reach home likely at six. The social class end really late. His sight thrown away forward while his legs pace from subway station direct to his home.

The noise coming from the nearby park didn’t get his attention. Numb by Linkin Park blazing from headphone hanging by his neck likely doesn’t get into his ears. He steps slowly as his mind rolling blankly.

Luckily that one mega project already finished! His heart mumbled. At least, he doesn’t have works with Mr. Project Director. But if the mentee guy just same as annoying Director, it just another disaster. Look like I am an unlucky magnet.

Bukkk!

Changhyun swore he saw stars. He blinked his eyes numerous times. His left hand trailed to back of his head, rubbing the spot that slowly getting numb. Eyes darted to basketball’s ball rolling at his legs. He heard crooked laughs and sneakers coming from to him.

“Err..you okay?”

Changhyun left the question without answer. Head still spinning. He then get down and picked the Spalding ball with one hand.

“You okay or not?” The concern voice with anxious echoed again.

Changhyun eyes boring hole towards the guy in front of him. “Okay.” Expressionless. He put the ball in the guy’s hand.

“Uhh..Sorry.”Grinning, the guy scratch his not so itchy head.

Changhyun just stood still. Tiresome really make people lost their feeling. “Its okay. Happens all the time.” Eyes roaming toward the basketball court near the park. All the players raised their hand to him. Apologizing gesture. He seriously don’t know who is who. He felt like he saw Sungjae from one of them.Hmmm..right. Its Sungjae, his friend Chaejin's boyfriend. Sungjae always plays at the court.

He then raised back his hand before continue his pace. What an unlucky magnet.