Cramp

Slipping Into the Pool

I didn’t even know you were back!” Jihyun and Namjoo heard the girl squeal as they were approaching. Namjoo groaned and rolled her eyes, making her friend laugh.

“Yah! Namji, don’t laugh!” Namjoo smacked Jihyun’s arm. Namji was Namjoo’s nickname for Jihyun - a mix between Nam, Jihyun’s family name, and Ji, the first syllable of her name. “Hurry up.” she pulled her friend by her hand.

“I missed you! This wasn’t the same without you.” the loud girl batted her eyelashes and smiled widely at Jaehwan.

“Hyeri has crazy eyes, have you noticed it?” Namjoo whispered at Jihyun, just as they were approaching the others. “And she has the worst pronunciation ever.”

Lee Hyeri was a beautiful girl with light brown short wavy hair and bangs and big eyes and a nice frame. Her reddish lips were usually in a pout, making her look both cute and annoying. She was part of the synchronized swimming team and was famous for being loud and a boy stalker. Every now and then Hyeri would have a new love interest at the club.

“Those crazy eyes scary me.” a gruff voice muttered, startling the two friends.

“Oppa, don’t do that, you scared us.” Jihyun scolded in an undertone while trying not to laugh. Next to her stood Kim Wonsik, a tall and bulky man with black hair. He had a sly grin in his face.

Before Hyeri could continue speaking, a girl around Hyeri’s height approached and tapped her shoulder.

“What?” Hyeri looked at the girl annoyed. Jaehwan, who was next to her, looked at Wonsik, who was standing in front of him, with pleading eyes. Wonsik laughed.

“Coach Soojin is calling.” the girl said. Kwon Sohyun was her name. She was Lee Hyeri’s second in command, always behind her and doing what Hyeri told her to.

“I’m coming.” Hyeri puffed her cheeks and then turned to Jaehwan. “See you at lunch?” she smiled at the boy.

“Actually, he’s having lunch with his friends.” Hakyeon, a tall and tanned boy said with a fake smile, putting his arm around Jaehwan’s shoulder. Hakyeon was the oldest of the bunch and sometimes acted like a diva, which was entertaining to watch.

“Am I also not his friend?” Hyeri spat at the older boy.

“Just go away.” Taekwoon said, annoyed. The boy had never liked Hyeri’s presence near him - she was too loud, too annoying and too… exhaustible for him.

“If Jaehwan oppa wants me gone, he can tell me himself!” Hyeri gave Taekwoon a dirty look. If he didn’t like Hyeri because she was too loud, the girl seriously disliked Taekwoon for his cold demeanor.

“Maybe you should go, you don’t want coach Soojin to get mad.”, Jaehwan stated with an uncertainty in his voice that gave away his nervousness - he didn’t want Hyeri there, yet he didn’t know how to get rid of her without being rude.

“You’re always worried! You’re the best oppa ever!” she squealed with a smile and then waved at Jaehwan - and only Jaehwan - before leaving.

“What a pain.” Namjoo puffed her cheeks and Hongbin laughed. Lee Hongbin was perhaps the most handsome of the bunch, with his sharp features, big brown eyes and brown hair. When he smiled, dimples that made every girl swoon would appear in his cheeks.

“You’re the best oppa ever!” Wonsik attempted to imitate Hyeri’s voice, making the group laugh at his squeaky weird voice.

“I guess she’s not over you hyung.” Hyuk shrugged. “If I wasn’t taken, though, you can be sure she would be all over this gorgeous face.” he said smugly, poking the side of his girlfriend’s stomach.

“As if.” Naeun scoffed. With her black long hair and fair skin, Naeun was a beautiful girl that many boys would love to have as their girlfriend. Not only was she gorgeous, she was also sweet and comprehensive, even if a little shy.

“Noona, don’t be mean!” Hyuk pouted and grabbed her hands.

“You guys are gross, go away.” Hakyeon rolled his eyes. “Jaehwan, you haven’t talked to Jihyun and Namjoo yet. I didn’t raise you to be like that.” Hakyeon slapped Jaehwan’s shoulder. Besides the resident diva, Hakyeon also acted as the mother of the group. And he enjoyed every minute of it.

Jihyun’s stomach turned and she felt her face heating. It was no secret - although she hadn’t verbally confirmed it - that Jihyun had somewhat of a crush for Jaehwan. They had been friends for a long time and the fact that Jaehwan had lived close to the girl before moving only made them get closer.

“You didn’t even tell me you were coming back, you traitor!” she laughed, trying to play it cool.

“I… I wanted to make you guys a surprise.” Jaehwan laughed, a little embarrassed. “It was a last minute thing, so I thought it would be cool to just appear.” he smiled, his eyes growing into crescent moons.

“Always cool hyung!” Hongbin nodded with his eyes closed and crossed arms.

“Did you miss us?” Namjoo asked. Jihyun looked at her friend and she could see the mischievousness in Namjoo’s eyes.

“Of course! Who do you think I am?” he laughed. “Busan was cool, but there’s no place like home right?” he smiled.

“Did you meet any cute girl?” Wonsik wiggled his eyebrows and grinned.

“Not as cute as the girls from here.” Jaehwan said with a cheeky smile. The other groaned and mocked Jaehwan.

“Always cheesy hyung!” Hyuk rolled his eyes and muttered something along the lined of “how embarrassing” while shaking his head.

The group spent a little more time there, mostly asking Jaehwan some questions. The conversation was stopped when a long whistle was heard.

“Gather around!” Jihoon called everyone and everyone quickly approached the coach, who was accompanied by Mingyu and Dongwook.

“I just wanted to tell you guys that we’ll have a reunion after practice, so don’t leave. We have some matters to discuss and everyone has to be there. If you leave, I’ll make sure you’ll be… rewarded.” the main coach informed. “Now, time for some laps!” he blew his whistle and everyone scattered.

“I didn’t get to eat because of you!” Jihyun whined and smacked Namjoo’s shoulder. The girl just shrugged.

“Gather here girls!” Dongwook called and the two friends hurried to where the coach was.

“This won’t be a long practice. 10x100 for every plus 10x200 for your style.”

Most of the girls rolled their eyes or groaned. Could the practice be more boring?

“Oh, I’m sorry if it’s a basic practice girls.” Dongwook said annoyed. “Don’t worry, afternoon practice will be better. I can guarantee that.” he practically growled. “Go on.”

“We’re going to die.” Namjoo said before stripping her shirt.

 

Jihyun was swimming her last 100 meters when an aching pain on her calf made her whimper, but she didn’t stop swimming. She was just about to finish her set and if she stopped Dongwook would probably scold her.

Just as she was about to hit the wall and enter the last 50 meters, the pain in her calf became unbearable. She hit the wall and stopped, moving to the side as to not stand in the way of the others.

“Cramp!” she called, raising her arm. It was a fairly common thing to hap-pen and everyone knew what to do: stop, yell cramp and raise their arm. In any way should they continue swimming, as it could be dangerous.

A strong hand grabbed Jihyun’s wrist and lifted her. She helped by sup-porting her weight with her free hand.

“Where?” a quiet voice asked.

“Right leg.”, she whimpered as the pain got worse. The boy took her leg in his hands and helped Jihyun stretch her leg, while massaging her clearly contracted calf.

“Hey! What happened?” Jaehwan approached the two. His hair was still dripping.

“Cramp.”, Taekwoon informed, still helping Jihyun stretching her leg. A sudden pain made the girl tense up. A grimace appeared on her face. Just as suddenly, the pain disappeared and Jihyun relaxed immediately.

“It’s gone.” she breathed. “Thank you.” she smiled at Taekwoon, who stopped massaging her leg.

“Eat a banana and don’t put too much effort on that leg now.” he said as he got up. The two boys then helped Jihyun getting up as her leg was still slightly sore and numb.

“Is it better?” Dongwook approached the three of them.

“Yes.”, Jihyun nodded. “It was just as I was about to end my set.” she added. Dongwook nodded.

“Go rest that leg for a little bit then. The practice is over anyways.” he in-formed and left.

“Do you need help?” Jaehwan asked, looking at the girl.

“No, thanks.” Jihyun laughed. “It’s nothing, really.” she shrugged. She, as everyone there, had had her fair share of cramps and while it was painful while it lasted, she was already used to the lingering after pain. Now she only needed to rest her leg and massage it for awhile and it would be okay.

“Should we go eat then?” Jaehwan smiled at her and she nodded.

“Are you…” Jihyun was about to ask Taekwoon something, but as she turned, she realized he was already gone. “Typical.”, Jihyun and Jaehwan laughed.

“Is it better?” Namjoo appeared out of nowhere.

“It is.”, the taller girl nodded. “Come on, I’m starving. I told you I should’ve eaten.” she laughed.

“See you at the bar then.” Jaehwan waved and left.

“Oooh, Jaewhannie came to your rescue.” Namjoo mocked her friend.

“Don’t be silly and let’s go.” Jihyun said and the two headed towards the women’s lockers to get changed.

 

The nine friends were gathered at a table, enjoying their brake while eating and talking.

“Jaehwan, you’re back!” Howon called from outside the bar. The water polo team had finished their practice and were now gathering at the bar as well.

“Hey guys!” Jaehwan got up and hugged some of the boys. While they were talking, Woohyun approached Jihyun.

“Do you have a ride home?” he asked.

“No!” she puffed her cheeks. She had asked Wonsik and Chorong already - two friends she knew that had a driver’s license - but none could give her a ride home. “And we’re having a reunions after practice, so I’ll be here until later.” she whined, hoping her brother would pity her.

“The subway isn’t that bad.” the boy patted her head and left.

“Stupid.” she muttered and took another bite of her food.

“I can take you home.” Jaehwan blurted. Jihyun looked at him, in a mixture of gratitude and meekness. She didn’t know if she had forgot Jaehwan had a driver’s license or if she had blocked that fact.

“Really? I don’t want to trouble you.” she said apprehensively.

“It’s no trouble.” he laughed. “I’m going there anyways.” he shrugged and Jihyun gave him an inquiring look. “We returned to our old apartment.” he explained and Jihyun let out a quiet “oh”.

“Really? That’s cool.” Hongbin noted while stuffing his mouth with rice.

“Yeah, it was still vacant, so my parents talked to the landlord and that was it.”, he shrugged. “That way you don’t have to ride the subway.” Jaehwan smiled and Jihyun.

“That’s great! Thank you.” she bowed her head with a smile and soon after felt a foot kicking her left leg repeatedly. Looking at her left, Jihyun saw Namjoo smiling slyly.

 


 

A/N: I've updated the description with pictures of the most important characters along with their real and stage names :)

I apologize for the slow pace of the story as of now... It will speed up after 4th chapter - and the real story will begin, so look forward to it!