Pressure

Pressure

Pressure

 

Her eyes fluttered open, slowly adjusting to the brightness of the sun's rays shining through the white translucent curtains and into the modest bedroom. Once her vision regained, she realized that this was not her own bedroom. And this bed she was resting on wasn't her own too. Strange... This room seemed familiar though. Lying down on her side, she tried to move but something was holding her from behind. Or someone? An arm was wrapped around her mid-section, not so tight yet still secured. Turning her head slightly to the right, she saw the identity of the one who was holding her back. Or more like hugging her back.

 

A woman. Brunette. Taller and bigger than herself. Spooning her. Her head tucked snugly on the crook of her own neck. She could smell the fragrant of the other person's shampoo. Vanilla, with a hint of strawberry mixed in. The warm and comforting embrace relaxed the shorter one's being. She gently placed her hand onto the other wrapped around her waist.  Rubbing her thumb on the edges of her knuckles, the short-haired blonde reshaped the jumbled-up fragments of memories in her head.

 

Oh right...

 

She agreed to come over to her friend's apartment. To comfort her. She had arrived on her doorstep late into the night because of her own hectic schedules, but was gladly welcomed with open arms nonetheless. Her brunette friend needed her.

 

Hyomin needed her.

 

The croaked whimper in her voice and those pitiful sobbing as she asked through the phone uncertainly, "I know that you're busy, but... something happened and... it'd be great if I had a shoulder to cry on right about now." It was more than enough for Sunny to make a break for it after she was finally done for the day.

 

"I'll be late, but just wait for me okay? I'll be there soon."

 

It ended up being a half hour journey from her company's building to her friend's apartment. After thanking her manager for the ride and assured him that she will return on time for her schedules the next day, Sunny rushed up to the building with haste. The moment she rang the bell, the door swung open and she was engulfed by a pair of arms and into the warm, slender figure of the woman before her. Wet tears soaked her right shoulder as Hyomin cried her heart out. And the only logical thing Sunny could do was to comfort her friend in silence.

 

Sunny reluctantly released the embrace for a while so that she could lead the grief-stricken brunette towards the living room couch. Once they sat down and gotten comfortable, both of them returned to what they were doing before.

 

"What happened?" Sunny worriedly asked as she softly rubbed Hyomin's back. "It's alright. I'm here now."

 

It took a couple of moments before her friend was able to calm herself down. Sunny pulled on a few pieces of tissues from the box on the coffee table, dabbing on her tears-soaked cheeks once the sobbing died down. “Sorry, I’m such a mess right now.”

 

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.” The shorter of the two assured her.

 

“But I made you come here…you should at least know what I’m crying about.”

 

“Work?”

 

“Yeah…There was an argument…and it just went out of proportions.”

 

“It’ll be okay. Everything will work out.”

 

“No, it’s not gonna be okay, Soonkyu.” Hyomin bitterly said. “Everything is a mess, and I think it’ll cost my whole career and reputation.” was heavy and all her emotions began to spill out again, covering her face in shame with her hands.

 

The blonde dropped the wet tissue on the table, seeing that it was a lost cause for her to use it on her dear friend anymore. Instead, she went and gathered Hyomin into her arms and pulled her in for a hug. At least this way, she was able to share the sorrow with her. Hyomin didn’t deserve to be stricken to tears like this. It just broke Sunny’s heart into pieces. Clinging on to her like a child, Hyomin wrapped her arms around the blonde’s neck and continued on with her misery. Silence and Sunny’s companionship were the only things that could comfort the girl. Though she was still uncertain about what actually happened, there was always time for that later.

 

Minutes passed and the brunette calmed down again. Worn out too. Sunny looked at the clock and it was already thirty minutes past midnight. “You should go to sleep. Do you have any schedules later?” she asked while gently pushing Hyomin off of her to get a better look.

 

Hyomin shook her head. “I should be the one asking you that. You should go back home. I know how busy you are so…” She tried to put on a reassuring smile but her eyes say otherwise.

 

“And leave you here all alone like this?” Sunny pulled out her phone from her pocket and went to speed-dial. “C’mon Hyomin, you know I can’t do that.”

 

Hyomin stared at the short blonde as she called up her manager and told him that she was gonna stay over. Touched would be the perfect word to describe her feelings now. And to think that this friendship they have was born through her desperation to get more screen-time, well, Hyomin wasn’t proud of that but at least it bloomed into something more meaningful. Something about Sunny always made her heart flutter and it warmed her seeing Sunny trying to negotiate with her manager to stay the night.

 

Sunny cared for her. And that fact alone made Hyomin loved her even more.

 

“Alright, alright, oppa. I promise I’ll be there early. Bye!” The frustrated blonde hung up the call. “Geez, that took way too long. Normally he’s lenient, but since our comeback is nearing, he’s been extra grouchy about us not coming back before curfew.” Sunny placed her phone on the table and looked back up at her friend. She had a strange expression on her face. “Hyomin?”

 

The brunette blinked and blushed slightly. “Oh sorry, I was just thinking about something.”

 

“Don’t think too much about it,” Sunny rustled Hyomin’s hair. “I have to leave early later in the morning so we should get some sleep. You sure you don’t want to talk about it now?”

 

Hyomin contemplated for a good minute before making her decision. “For now, I just need your company. If I let out everything now while my mind is all jumbled up, it will sound confusing. I’m sorry…”

 

“Don’t be. You can tell me once your mind is cleared up, but don’t take too long alright? I need to be in on the loop too.”

 

“I will, Sunny. I will.” Hyomin nodded and then held her friend’s hand.

 

And that was how Sunny got there in the first place. On the bed in her friend’s bedroom, being cuddled up from behind by that same friend.

 

She craned her neck to where the wall clock was. Nearly going to be at the break of dawn. She had to attend a recording at 8am and promised her manager that she would get there in time. She let out a groan but it came out too loud in the quiet room. Sunny stiffened when the girl behind her stirred and showing signs of waking up. Her first thought was to pretend to be sleeping but what was the point of doing that? Ridiculous. Instead, she turned her head towards the almost awakened girl still resting her head on the crook of her neck. Hyomin released a yawn, resulting in Sunny to shiver from the hot breath invading the outlines of her exposed ear. The arms embracing her small stature tightened and Sunny felt like she was being snuggled to death. It wasn’t such a terrible way to die but there were still things she needed to do before going to the afterlife.

 

“H-Hyomin, you’re squeezing me too much,” the poor blonde managed to wince out while tapping on her friend’s forearms.

 

The brunette stirred, though slowly and still adjusting to the sudden wake-up call. Using her squinted eyes to scan around, she then looked downwards and found Sunny in her arms. Seeing the blonde in such close proximity startled her and she loosened her grip on the poor girl, but still stayed in their current position. “Sorry! Was I holding you too hard?” Hyomin rose from the bed, concerned over the other occupant’s wellbeing.

 

“You could have killed me in my sleep,” Sunny turned over to face the brunette who was now having an apologetic look on her face. “Yah, don’t give me that face. I was just kidding.”

 

“I don’t know what I’d do if you’re suddenly gone from this world,” Hyomin plopped back onto her pillow, facing the other girl too.

 

Sunny furrowed her brows. “Hey, this isn’t like you at all. Where’s the cheerful and dorky folding screen I know?”

 

Silence was her answer. Instead, the brunette scooted closer to the blonde, covering the gap between them. “Do you honestly feel okay being friends with someone like me?”

 

Sunny widened her eyes, confused at the girl’s change in behavior. “You’re a great person all around. Why wouldn’t I be friends with you?”

 

“Even if I did something bad?”

 

“Okay, this is worrying me. What happened?”

 

“I’m going to have a solo soon. Jiyeon too. Possibly on the second half of this year.”

 

“That’s great!” Sunny exclaimed, but it didn’t seem to cheer up the brooding brunette though. “You don’t look so happy about this opportunity.”

 

“Actually, I am grateful to be getting something as special as this but...the concept bothers me.” She paused for a moment, trying to think of how to properly describe it to her bewildered friend. “The title of the song is called ‘Nice Body’ and as you can tell, it’s a y concept which needs me to showcase my body. But I have to go on a lemon detox diet so that my body is suitable enough to pull it off.” Sunny couldn’t help but to  glance down at Hyomin’s body out of curiosity. Her slender curves were displayed quite nicely despite the fact that she was only wearing a tank top and a pair of pyjama pants. Her wandering eyes trailed down for much too long until Hyomin snapped her out of her reverie by shaking her arm. “Yah, you , you’re making me more self-conscious than when I go out walking around in public.”

 

The shorty sheepishly grinned, and made a daring move by wrapping her arm around Hyomin’s lower back and shamelessly copping a feel on her . “Well, when there are pretty girls like you around, you can’t help but to stare.” A furious blush spread throughout Hyomin’s complexion, her own hand playfully swatting away the curious fingers from her bum. That backed Sunny’s hand off, as she placed it on the bed sheets. “Sorry, got a little carried away there. But honestly, why does your management wants you to lose even more weight? You’re already fine like this.”

 

Hyomin sulked. “Guess they thought my body in its current state wasn’t good enough for them,” she said as she rubbed her abdomen. “I’ll have to start the diet next week. I thought it was way too soon to do it, plus the fact that I’m not satisfied with the concept made me...lose my cool. I argued with my boss, it got heated, and I just stormed out of his office. Left the building too because I wasn’t in the mood to deal with anybody there. My members are worried about me when they heard about the commotion so they called me a number of times. I told them I was fine and that I needed to be alone for a while.” Hyomin glanced at Sunny for a second before continuing on. “I guess being alone to sort out my problems isn’t my forte.”

 

“And that’s when you called me.”

 

The brunette nodded slowly. “I love my members but I feel that calling you would be better. You always give out the greatest advices.”

 

“That’s a bit of an overstatement though,” Sunny smiled slightly before turning serious again. “Arguing with your boss is never a good thing, Hyomin. I understand your concern and worry about the concept, but losing your temper in a situation like that will always make you the loser. It doesn’t matter if you’re right or not. The one who blows up first will always get the short end of the stick. There’s a difference between voicing out your concerns and letting your emotions take its toll on you.” Sunny paused, reaching out to hold one of Hyomin’s hands.”We’re idols. Our job is to entertain the public’s eye. Whatever concepts our management flings at us, we’re supposed to put up with it with a smile and make the audience happy. But, that doesn’t mean we always have to be a pushover. There are times where we have to voice out our complaints if they bother us, but we should do it in a calm manner and logical manner. You should do that after you apologize to your boss. Don’t want this cold war to go on for too long, right?”

 

Hyomin pondered, her eyes lost in thought, battling over what to do for the rest of the day. She was afraid. Being the one who created the storm first , of course, the guilt was all on her. Negative whispers in her head started to plague her mind. What if her boss took it to heart and won’t forgive her? What if she really screwed everything up? What if…?

 

“Hyomin, don’t think. Just do it.”

 

“You sound like a sports commercial.”

 

“Your jinx can help land me in one of those commercials.”

 

“My jinx isn’t working properly right now…”

 

A pair of warm, soft hands cupped Hyomin’s face gently, bringing her sullen eyes to finally look up at the bright yet serious orbs of her dear friend. “Hyomin, don’t think of yourself as a bad person, but as a good person who desires to be better. I can clearly see that in you, but can you see it in yourself too?”

 

Time stood still in the almost quiet bedroom, with only the sounds of their breathing and the hands of the clock tick-tocking unceasingly. The warmth which radiated from the blonde’s small palms was comforting, almost as if it was a magical soothing aura channeling from Sunny to help lift Hyomin’s sullen spirit. It felt surprisingly wonderful.

 

“Maybe…” Hyomin uttered, placing her own hands onto the ones holding her cheeks. “Maybe I should apologize.”

 

A wide and pleased beam curved its way on Sunny’s complexion. “That’s my girl.”

 

Hyomin brightened up too, seeing that that statement managed to bring some clarity into what she should do next in this slump of hers. Besides, seeing the blonde being proud of her decision was so much better than making her disappointed.

 

The blonde took a glance at the wall clock. She had to rush for her schedules. Sighing, Sunny grudgingly rose from the comfy bed. “Do you mind if I use your shower for a while?” she asked,after releasing a huge yawn.

 

“Go ahead. There’s some extra towels you can use in there.”

 

“Thanks,” she said, not without giving a pat on Hyomin’s bum once again as she trotted her way into the adjoining bathroom.

 

Alone in the bed, the troubled brunette took this time to rest up for the day ahead until her friend finished her shower. It wasn’t long before she woke up from her few minutes long nap. Roused by a gentle shaking on her arm, Hyomin fluttered open her drowsy eyes to see Sunny fresh out from the shower. Wearing back her original clothes, drops of water dripping off from her damp hair as she tried to dry it with the towel hung around her neck.

 

“That was quick.”

 

“I’m the fastest one in the group”, Sunny nonchalantly pointed out.

 

“Did you even wash?”

 

Hyomin felt herself being yanked up from her resting position, resulting in her releasing a surprised yelp at the sudden force.

 

“Yes I did, and you should get up now or else I’m gonna leave without saying goodbye to you.”

 

Sunny went to gather up her remaining belongings in the living room with Hyomin in tow. “You sure you don’t want any breakfast? I can prepare something quick if you want.”

 

The blonde gave a sweet smile in return. “The only thing you need to prepare is that apology. I’m sure you can do it.”

 

“You put so much high hopes on me,” Hyomin muttered.

 

“That’s because I know you will make the right decision.”

 

When she checked that she had brought along all of her stuff, they both went towards the front door of the apartment. Sunny sat down on the small porch to put on her sneakers, while Hyomin patiently watched her from behind. Hyomin drifted off with her thoughts as she observed her short friend meticulously tying up her shoelaces. If her gratitude for all the kind things that the blonde did for her was manifested, it’d be one of the most heart-felt things she’d want Sunny to know about. How many times had this girl came to her aid? Hyomin lost count, but she knew that Sunny was very dear to her. All of the things that Hyomin could do to return her gratitude and love for her wouldn’t be enough. Sunny deserved so much more.

 

“Alright.” Sunny stood up and turned around to face the brunette after her shoelaces were done. “I’ll be going off now.”

 

Hyomin stared gratefully at the blonde. “Okay.” In a heartbeat, Hyomin brought her arms around Sunny’s neck, pulling her in for a tight embrace. “Be safe.”

 

Returning the affectionate gesture too, Sunny noticed that there was something different to this hug. She wasn’t quite sure of what it was, but pondered little of it as she continued to enjoy the feeling they’re sharing through this closeness they have. “I know you can do it, Hyomin. Just believe in yourself. Everything will be alright.”

 

They released each other after a moment with neither of them wanting to leave the other’s presence. The brunette spoke up again, wanting to make it last a little longer. “I’ll tell you afterwards what happened when I’m done. Wait for my call, okay?”

 

Giving her a thumbs-up and a wink, Sunny exclaimed, “Roger that.” The blonde backed away towards the front door, then turned around and set off on her way.

 

Hyomin stayed at her position for a while, breathing in deeply and exhaling until she finally made do with her decision.

 

‘Better get going before it’s too late.’

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

A fews months later…

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

“Yuri unnie, when is Sunny unnie going to come?”

 

“Probably a little late since she’s coming here straight after her musical is done.”

 

“I hope she won’t be too tired when she gets here.”

 

“Don’t worry, Sunhwa. She’s a trooper.”

 

The party had gotten off to a good start despite the absence of a few of their core members in the group. Shinyoung, Hyuna, Taewoo, and the Chief could not make it, much to the others’ disappointment but they promised that they will have a complete reunion next time when the chance is there. Other than the event being a reunion for the Invincible Youth cast, it was also as support for Hyomin’s first ever solo. Holding the event at Hyomin’s apartment, the rest of the G7 members who could attend were busy setting up the party.

 

Yuri and Sunhwa were chatting while placing all the delicious food and drinks on the dining table. Narsha and Hara tended to all the decorations, while Hyomin talked and catched up with the show’s producer and writers who were also there to attend the event. But at the back of her mind, Hyomin was excited about something else. Or more specifically, someone else. Donning a new and fresh short blonde hairstyle, she was at her wit’s end to meet the one who helped get her courage and confidence back when she was at her down-low.

 

Without her, the party wouldn’t be fun. And so, everyone decided that they would wait for her to arrive.

 

It wasn’t long before the doorbell rang, and before anyone else volunteered, Hyomin made a dash towards the front door and swung it opened.

 

The girl at the entrance was slightly startled by the force and speed at which the door opened, almost backing away from the perpetrator who caused it all. The newcomer, brunette and had her hair tied into a hastily tied-up bun, gave a sheepish grin. “Am I too late?”

 

Hyomin brightened up and smiled widely. “You’re just in time.”

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

It had been a great day filled with laughter, catching-up, food, drinks, and whatever that happens at a party. Conversations still felt close and comfortable even after the void of not being able to see each other personally for a number of months. There might be plans of all of them meeting again in the near future, much to the farming ladies’ excitement. Hyomin couldn’t have been happier regarding all the news. And with all the strong support she got from her dear friends regarding her solo, it made her ponder over all the disagreements about it in the past. Was it all a waste of energy to even have that conflict in the first place? There were some amendments and negotiations to make her solo more satisfactory for herself, but alas, it all went better than expected.

 

The party ended in the wee hours of the morning before 1AM. Morning schedules awaited the G7 crew. If there were none, they would have definitely stayed the night. “Goodbye”, “See you next time”,“We’ll keep in touch”, and hugs were shared amongst the group as they left Hyomin’s apartment with confidence that they will meet again.

 

“Sunny, you’re not going back to the dorm?” Yuri asked as she was about to leave the house.

 

“I’ll stay here for a while and help Hyomin to clean everything up,” Sunny said, casually standing at the porch with Hyomin.

 

Yuri nodded, and looked over to Hyomin. “We’ll do more farming and get-togethers next time, kay’? I’ll see you around, Hyomin!”

 

“Will do!”

 

With that, the other member of SNSD waved energetically to the both of them and off she went.

 

“Shall we clean up?” Sunny suggested the obvious.

 

“Who said anything about a ‘we’ in cleaning up?”

 

“What, I’m your maid now?”

 

“I could always use a personal servant,” Hyomin smirked, then trotted off before the shorter of two could think up of a witty comeback.

 

Sunny chuckled, giving up on the wasted opportunity of apprehending Hyomin before she got away. “I’ll go wash the dishes then.”

 

They both did their tasks; Sunny washing the number of dirty dishes and glasses in the kitchen, while Hyomin cleaned up the joined living room. The blonde finished up her job quickly. It wasn’t all that messy, just sweeping up and taking out the trash from their party earlier. She left all the decorations in their place though. She wanted the memories and remnants of their reunion to last a little longer. Happy memories should be treasured, she thought. Her eyes glanced over to the short girl diligently scrubbing the soapy dishes with a sponge.

 

If happy memories were embodied into a single person, then she was looking right at her.

 

Hyomin slowly went over to the dish-washer, not making a sound to alert her. Sunny was completely oblivious to the person behind her, mundanely going through the piles of glasswares before she finally finished the task. Hyomin cheekily smiled. Whilst Sunny dried her hands with the cloth nearby, the blonde took this chance to surprise the shorty by wrapping her arms around the other’s neck.

 

Sunny, slightly taken aback by the sudden warmth and weight on her, turned her head. “Are you trying to be a folding screen again?”

 

“No, I’m just attaching myself to you like glue,” the taller one snuggled in shamelessly. “I just...wanted you to know that what you did when I was in that slump helped me a lot. You already know that, right?”

 

Sunny relaxed into the back-hug. “It isn’t hard to tell with the way you blatantly sneaked up and pounced on me when my guards are down.”

 

“Stop making it sound like I’m some kind of stalker, Soonkyu,” she giggled at her friend’s snide.

 

They stayed that way for a while. Even in the past, they always liked it when they shared moments like these, quietly enjoying the company and not questioning if they were holding each other for too long. It didn’t feel awkward at all.

 

It always felt so natural.

 

“I like your song by the way,” Sunny broke the silence.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah. You worked really hard for it. I’m proud of you, Hyomin.”

 

“Couldn’t have done it without you, though.”

 

“You’re giving me way too much credit. But there is something I really didn’t like about your solo.”

 

Hyomin widened her eyes, concerned. “What didn’t you like?”

 

Sunny broke the embrace, and turned around to face her with a serious expression. “This.” And without a second thought, Hyomin now found herself being lifted up from the ground.”I can’t approve of you being this light. What happened to all your meat!?” The short brunette angrily exclaimed to the heavens as she carried Hyomin by her slender legs.

 

“Yah! I couldn’t get away from the lemon-detox diet no matter how hard I try!” Hyomin yelled, towering over the shorty who didn’t break a sweat lifting her for almost a minute.

 

“I can’t even feel anything when I tap your !”

 

“That’s all you care about!?”

 

They childishly bickered over the malnourishment of Hyomin’s bottom till they ran out of energy, leading to a sputter of laughter right after.

 

“Please tell me you’ll eat more once your promotions are done.”

 

“You’ll have to speak to my boss regarding that matter.”

 

“Tell your boss that it’s a crime to alter a nice such as yours.”

 

“You don’t even care about my nice body, do you?”

 

“I never said that. Your body is nice. Very, very nice.”

 

Hyomin placed her forehead onto Sunny’s own.“You’re a , you know that?”

 

“At least I’m not lying when I say you have a nice body.”




 

END