One of One.

When the Tree met the Fox.

 

The crowds were pulsing along to the beat of the music. Her hear was pounding in her chest, she had her hands above her head and her eyes closed as she swayed from side to side. She didn't want to stop. But when she opened her eyes, in that short second when she did, she forgot all about the music. All she could hear was her pounding heart. All she could see was him. And all he could see was her. 

He pushed through the crowds at the same time she did, he stood where he had clearly seen her stand, but she was no where in sight. He looked around trying to find her sparkle in amongst the dancing bodies, while she looked for him. She spun around in a slow circle, thinking to herself, maybe he was a mirage; a hallucination; a dream. With a sigh that couldn't be heard, she finally gave up. She stepped backwards towards the wall when she felt someone grab her hand. Her head snapped round to she the person she had been looking for, he smiled at her and she smiled back. He led her to the stairs of the club and they left the noise of music behind for the noise of the streets. 

They walked in silence for a good few blocks, until she looked down at their hands, still clasped. She laughed a little and the boy looked down at her quizically. "Do you normally grab strangers out of a bar?" she asked. He felt his heart pound against his chest, the sound of her voice was more beautiful that he'd expected. He wondered if she'd think the same thing. 

"Only the really pretty ones," he answered slyly. She laughed again, he bit his lower lip to keep him from smiling like a fool. He wondered if this was what love felt like. Love at first sight; he liked the sound of that. She stopped walking abruptly, he followed her action. She swerved round to face him, swapping the hand that held his as she did so. 

She stared up at him smiling. God, her eyes were beautiful, and that smile. He didn't know if he could control himself if she kept looking at him like that. "Jenny Fox," she whispered as she shook his hand. "Nice to meet you." 

Jenny Fox. Jenny Fox. That name felt familiar to him, like his mouth had always wanted to say it but had never known it. "Nam WooHyun," he replied. She tilted her head in thought for a while then nodded. 

"Nam WooHyun," she muttered smiling. "Tree," she chuckled. He pouted a little, like a child, and she smirked. She stepped on her tip toes so that was barely a centimetre from his ear. "I like trees." He felt a blush reach his cheeks, which was unusual for him, but not unappreciated. She took his hand back in her other hand and started walking again. The walk soon turned into a jog then a run. Although she was wearing heels, it was him who struggled to keep up with her. Not that he minded, really, he felt happy whatever he did with her. 

When she finally stopped running, he saw that they were in a dark, empty kid's park, surrounded by trees. He was looking around distracted when he felt something hit his chest. He grabbed onto whatever it was, only seeing that they were her shoes after she'd heaved herself up onto the lowest branch, that was still a good height above his head. She laughed at his shocked expression and dangled upside-down infront of him, only holding onto the branch with her legs wrapped around. He took in a shaky breath when he saw her face. She was even beautiful upside-down. "Are you coming up or are you just going to stare?" she asked with a sly smile. 

He pursed his lips, then tightened his jaw, he set her heels down at the trunk of the tree then stood up straight. He jumped up to grab onto a branch and did so, swinging his legs around, but he couldn't keep his grip and he fell to the ground. She chuckled from where she was lounging on a thick branch high in the tree. "Come on, Nam WooHyun. You're a tree, aren't you? Be one with the trees," she sang jokingly. Though it made him more determined, determined enough that within 5 seconds he was next to her on the branch, leaning over her tauntingly. 

Her heart was pounding and she blushed slightly wondering if he could hear it. "Well done, tree," she whispered, staring into his brown eyes. She looked away, scared of what might happen if she didn't, then she moved along the branch, making space for him. She leaned against the trunk as her legs dangled down beneath her. They were silent for a long moment as she tried to control her heart rate, and he wondered why he felt this strongly about someone he'd only just met. 

"You're a fox, aren't you?" he broke the silence. He shook his head. "I mean, I know it's your surname, but I mean. You're a fox.. you know? I mean, what else can explain what your making me feel right now?" 

She blinked at him, looking at him sideways as he leaned against the trunk next to her. She smiled warmly before setting her head gently on his shoulder. "The fox and the tree," she chuckled. "I like that."

"Except, foxes can't climb trees," he muttered.

"And trees don't bow to foxes, they only move for the wind," she sighed dramatically. "So, Mr Tree. How do you suppose we make this work?" He couldn't surpress his grin at her words. It meant she was feeling the same, didn't it? He reached down for her hand and intertwined his fingers with her soft digits. 

"I suggest a date first. Maybe that'll do the trick," he whispered. 

She looked up at his handsome face and smiled. "I think it will."

Jennifer
September 21st 2011 | 04:16
Glasgow, Scotland.