Love; Just Ahead

Love; Just Ahead

Minho doesn’t know if he has made the right decision to take on the job as a sales promoter at the supermarket on a weekend. When he first heard about the job, he thought it would be an easy way to earn some extra cash. Well, in actual fact, it is. All Minho has to do is stand at the counter and promote the product by giving out free samples. This weekend, he is promoting a sports drink so it really is a simple task to pour the drink into sample cups and hand it out to customers. Minho doesn’t like to brag but when you’re as good-looking as him, it becomes even easier to draw customers to his counter. The job is simple and the money is good but Minho just can’t imagine how he’s going to get through the 8-hour shift on a Sunday.

To be standing at a counter that is situated at the front of an aisle and giving out free samples for 8 continuous hours is no joke. It doesn’t help that the supermarket is exceptionally busy on a Sunday. Minho constantly has to be on his best behaviour since there is a steady stream of customers that come from every direction just to try the sports drink. Minho not only has to be friendly to them but he also has to keep that charming smile on his face. Only three hours has passed and Minho is already tired from engaging in all that small talk with customers who are obviously interested in him more than the sports drink he’s trying to promote. Don’t get him wrong, Minho loves the satisfaction he gets when he’s able to sell the drink to customers who are genuinely there to make a purchase but his tolerance level for customers who hit on him is very low.

It’s after the sixth customer who tries to get his number that Minho decides to give himself a break. With his back turned away from the crowd, he pretends to be occupied with checking stock and restocking the shelves with the sports drink. It’s his attempt to avoid dealing with customers and at the same time, make time move faster. He’s doing a pretty good job at it until someone taps him on his shoulder.

“Excuse me…”

Minho turns around and is pleasantly surprised to find a young man, who he thinks should be described as nothing less than beautiful, looking at him. Minho is a little in awe so he forgets to speak; but it doesn’t matter anyway since the young man continues talking now that he has Minho’s attention.

“Are you promoting this?” The young man points at the counter where the different flavours of the sports drink are displayed, “Can I try the lemon lime flavour?”

In a split second, Minho is back on his best behaviour as he nods and smiles, “Of course.”

This time though, he is more than happy to serve the customer before him. It’s one of the rare times he is genuinely willing to attend to a customer regardless of where their interest lies. It’s only been less than a minute but he actually hopes this customer is more interested in him.

“Here you go.” As he passes the sample cup filled with the lemon lime sports drink to the young man, Minho continues to promote the drink, “We’re actually having a promotion right now. Buy two, get one free. You can choose any flavour you like.”

The customer nods as he finishes the drink.

“How is it?” Minho asks as he offers to take the empty cup from the man to throw it away, “Tastes good, doesn’t it?”

The young man nods once more, agreeing with Minho as he passes the cup back and looks at the bottles on the counter, “What other flavours do you recommend?”

“I personally like the original flavour… and lemon lime. Orange isn’t too bad either.”

“Alright, I’ll take those three flavours then.”

Minho grins, “Sure… can you hold three bottles though? Would you like to go get a basket or a trolley first?”

The young man realises his situation, almost blushing as he rubs his neck, embarrassed, “Right… I’ll go get a basket.”

Before Minho can react, his customer hurries off. It all looks too adorable in Minho’s eyes. He is already looking forward to the return of this cute customer.

With his attention back on promoting the sports drink, customers naturally come towards him to try out the free samples and soon enough, Minho gets busy all over again.

In the midst of pouring what seems like his hundredth cup of the drink, Minho finds himself distracted when he spots the beautiful young man walking towards him. It’s with a little regret that he has to continue attending to the current customer and so he smiles apologetically to the young man. The young man returns a smile and decides it’s best not to wait as he steps forward and grabs the bottles off the shelf himself.

Seeing that the current customer is trying the drink, Minho turns his attention away and goes ahead to help the young man.

“Here, let me-”

Minho gets interrupted when the current customer suddenly requests to try another flavour.

“Sorry.”

He gives the young man a helpless expression and quickly turns back to attend to the customer.

“It’s ok.” The young man mumbles with a small smile on his face before he walks away, dragging his feet down the aisle. Minho doesn’t see any of this though because he’s too busy dealing with the current customer.

When the customer eventually walks away (at least she bought six bottles), Minho finally gets to take a breather. It’s then he has the time to think about the young man. He looks around, scanning the surroundings for him, the only customer who left a lasting impression, but it’s all too late. The young man has probably left and Minho has to live with the regret of not being able to get to know him.

He doesn’t get to dwell on it though because more customers walk by and show interest in his product. Putting on a smile, Minho gets back to work and loses track of time. About an hour later, he’s cleaning the counter and praying that no more customers will approach him so he can give himself a proper break; maybe walk around the supermarket or go for a toilet break. But of course, his prayer isn’t heard as Minho feels someone approaching him. He sighs to himself before quickly rearranging his expression to something friendly enough to welcome the customer.

When he looks up and meets a pair of familiar eyes, Minho ends up pleasantly surprised again.

“You…” The smile on Minho’s face grows wider.

It’s the young man blinking so adorably at him and Minho is secretly celebrating that he’s back, standing in front of him… giving him a second chance.

A blush spread across the young man’s cheeks as he clears his throat, “Uh… I think I’m lost.”

“Are you?” Minho asks, amused.

Knowing that Minho doesn’t believe him, the young man nods furiously and explains himself, “I want to get some chips but I can’t seem to find the section… the supermarket is too big.”

“The supermarket is big.” Minho agrees but then adds teasingly, “But it seems easy for you to find your way to me.”

Of course, that only makes the young man more flustered than he already is. Minho can’t resist a laugh as he offers his hand to the young man.

“I’m Minho.”

The young man takes his hand and shakes it, “Taemin.”

When a stranger gives his name this easily, Minho knows it’s half the battle won and his confidence soars.

Obviously, Minho can’t help but grin as he says, “Well, hi Taemin, I’ll help you… but on one condition.”

Taemin tilts his head to one side in question.

“Can I have your number?”

When Taemin allows him to lead the way to the chips section, Minho decides it’s worth working in the supermarket on a weekend. This is definitely one of the better decisions he has made in life.