Blaming it on the rain

Rain Oxide


Destiny and perfect timing. 

As cliché as it may sound, Jinki had always believed in those. Finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with strongly depended on these two. Although most of the time, he busied himself with school and studies (especially now that he’s on his final semester in college), the idea of encountering his destined someone never went forgotten inside his head. He likes to picture sweet meetings like accidentally bumping a person on a bus ride or running at the sidewalk in the middle of a heavy rain and then someone will offer him an umbrella. That’s why upon hearing a stupid dare his housemate-slash-best-friend brought up, Jinki despised the challenge.

“If you see someone you like, kiss him… on the lips,” the words left Kibum’s mouth casually as his lips curved into a knowing smirk.

Jinki choked while taking a sip of his drink, coughing several times before he decided that he’s already calm enough to speak, “Are you nuts?! Why on earth would I do that?!” He asked looking scandalized.

“That’s why you’ve always been single since forever. Try to be more daring and let loose.” Kibum said resting his chin on top of his palm.

“I’m sorry for being an introvert and for focusing on my studies rather than those.” he replied sarcasm coating his voice. It’s not like he was hoping the other would understand him.  Someone like Kim Kibum never had any difficulties in finding a partner. Kibum’s outgoing, fun, fashionable, and most importantly, pretty… too pretty for a boy. Unfortunately, for him, he happened to be the complete opposite. He would often describe himself as someone who’s plain, boring, nerdy, and well, ordinary.

Kibum sighed, “That’s not the issue here.”

“What’s so wrong about believing in destiny and all?”, Jinki asked innocently, his eyes slightly growing in size as they stare at his raven-haired best friend and watching him throw his arms in the air, feline eyes rolling in the process.

“I think it’s about time you get rid of those romantic novels you’ve been reading. They’re getting into you and it’s not healthy,” Kibum demanded, “if you’ll just sit here doing nothing and just waiting for ‘the one’, I’m telling you, you’ll be alone for the rest of your life.”

“And kissing a stranger is the only solution?”

Kibum, yet again, let out another distressed sigh. He isn’t really sure how to deal with his hyung anymore, “Come on, Jinks. It’s not just a stranger. That person should be someone you like. Someone you’re attracted to. Someone you would want to spend the rest of eternity with.” He argued trying hard to defend his idea.

“I don’t think those are things you can't decide upon seeing a person for the first time. Getting to know each other is a basic step that shouldn’t be skipped.”Jinki opened the chips right beside him before grabbing a handful and shoving it straight to his mouth. He could feel Kibum watching him with a displeased look.

“Jinki, this is the 21st century. Things have changed you know? The bolder you are, the more advantages you have. Besides, there’s nothing wrong with skipping a couple of steps as long as the desired result is achieved. And you’re gross, by the way.” Kibum mouthed as the other continued to munch in the chips, some bits scattering on his shirt and on the floor in the process.

“Being after advantages most of the time results to trouble. Right now, that’s the last thing I want.”

Feeling that this conversation would only end up going nowhere, Kibum got to his feet admitting defeat. Talking to Jinki about stuff like these never went well. It’s either Jinki would swiftly change the topic or he would throw wise arguments about life like what he’s doing now and Kibum’s definitely not up for that. His mind was already bombarded from the lengthy lectures his professor on a major subject threw at him. Too much mental stress is bad for his skin.

“I’m going to wash up first, okay?” Kibum asked, looking over his shoulder and Jinki hummed in agreement not bothering to face him.

As soon as Jinki heard the door of their bathroom close, he sank back on their cushion, relieved that his best friend finally decided to drop the topic. Why does Kibum always have to be so into the idea of him getting a girlfriend or boyfriend when he’s perfectly fine with being single and free? It’s not that he doesn’t want to go out with someone. Of course, nobody wants to be alone for the rest of their lives. He might always be spending time locking himself in the library and going through his notes, but that doesn’t equate to him prohibiting himself to experience love. However, he had always believed that there’s a right time for everything and falling in love isn’t number one in his priorities as of the moment. For now, all he could do is pray that Kibum won’t bring up that topic again tomorrow or anytime soon in the future.

-----------------------------------------------

There were many instances Jinki scolded himself for being such a scattered-brain. It was mentioned a couple of times in the news that heavy rains will pour any time during the evening so keeping an umbrella with him is definitely a must. Not to mention, Kibum reminded him repeatedly that morning to bring one before he was out of their apartment. Yet, here he is, stuck under a waiting shed of a bus stop near their apartment, waiting for this downpour to cease, or at least, calm down. Jinki could opt to run back to their apartment from here; after all, it’s just a couple of blocks away. However, he’s carrying important paper works and borrowed books from the library. Obviously, he can’t allow those to be soaked wet.

In the end, Jinki was left with no choice but to sit there with slumped shoulders and submit his self to the agony of waiting. He carefully moved the strands of his honey brown hair sticking on his forehead because of slightly getting wet on his way running here. He then resorted to fixing his hoodie and jeans in an attempt to make them look decent. For how long does he have to stay in here? Kibum’s still on his part-time job and his shift doesn’t end until an hour so he can’t pick Jinki up. While being so focused into his thoughts, Jinki saw through the corner of his eye a tall figure that was standing with his back facing at him. Jinki couldn’t help but notice how long the stranger’s legs are.

To his surprise, the stranger took a few steps back and sat less than a meter away from him. Jinki knew it’s rude to stare at someone, but at that moment, he can’t help doing so. However, their sitting arrangement only allowed Jinki to make up the man’s side profile. And he had to admit, it was the first time he’d seen someone so… perfect: pointed nose, small lips, and an unbelievably small face. He had wavy black hair, a bit tousled but relatively dry compared to Jinki’s damp locks. His backpack was still hanging on his left shoulder while his dripping umbrella was resting on his left side.

Apparently, the described man seemed to have felt that Jinki’s eyes were fixed on him and glanced at his direction. Jinki panicked and quickly felt his face heating up. He was even more surprised (if that was right word for someone who was gasping for air to get in his lungs and brain) when the stranger’s big hazel brown eyes slightly squinted and his lips curved into a small smile. Jinki felt like he’s about to have a heart attack as he gaped at the man.

Still not able to digest what he had just witnessed, Jinki remained frozen on his seat. Fortunately, he did remember to look away after a second or two and focus his eyes instead on his wet green chucks. He must have looked dumb, he was sure of that.

“It’s pouring hard, isn’t it?” The gorgeous stranger spoke. Jinki swears he felt goose bumps all over his body as the low baritone voice invaded his ear. “Are you also waiting for the bus?” the voice added.

Jinki could not recall being unable to speak and to answer back when someone asked him a question. But he doesn’t really know why he’s acting like one as of the moment. He opened his mouth in an attempt to allow words to escape from it, but it didn’t so he closed it again. The process repeated which made him look like a fish out of water. Still, he knew he had to answer. 

“I-I-um…yes! I mean, no. I live a couple of blocks from here but this heavy rain is stopping me from getting home since I’m carrying a few important stuff with me. I obviously can’t let them get soaked because I spend days and a couple of all-nighters to finish these papers and I really don’t know how would I explain to the librarian why the books I borrowed are wet by the time I return them. Haha. So yeah... I’m stuck here.”

It was then that Jinki vowed to himself that he would try his best to get rid of his stupid habit of blabbering non-sense. Unexpectedly, he heard the “beautiful” stranger chuckle and Jinki wished he had a recorder or something so that he could keep this sound and set it his alarm tone every morning (wait, does that sound creepy?).

Seven seconds have passed (not that Jinki’s counting, he’s definitely not) and nothing was heard except the raindrops hitting the waiting shed’s roof and falling on the ground when finally, the voice spoke once more. “Here,” the stranger stretched an arm, holding out his umbrella, “You can have this.” He offered with that angelic smile still plastered on his face.

Jinki is sure he doesn’t have any difficulties with his breathing since childhood until now. He immediately raised his hands and waved them in disagreement, “You don’t have to! It’s okay! I’m okay! It’s yours and you might need it.”

Upon hearing Jinki’s rejection, the stranger scooted closer, reached for his hand, and handed the umbrella. Jinki could feel the butterflies (since when did they even get in there, seriously?!) inside his stomach throwing a party of the century upon the contact with such warmth.

“I can just run as soon as I get off the bus. Besides, I’m not the one who needs to protect such important stuff completed after a hard work. So take it with you.” The man explained before letting go of Jinki’s hand, much to the latter’s dismay.

Jinki was about to open his mouth once again to protest but the man’s big doe eyes narrowed at him and it spoke that he wouldn’t take no for an answer. With that, Jinki mouthed a weak “thanks” and resumed staring at a particular spot on wet concrete. Silence once again surrounded them but this time, Jinki noticed that the rain seemed to have weakened enough for him to walk back home.

“I-I think I should get going. Uhm… thanks for this.” Jinki slowly stood up, picking up his things while trying hard to steady his shaky legs. He noted that it must be from the cold wind brought about by the rain and not because he’s still in a daze after well… everything.

The man also got up in the process and smiled once more. As soon as he got up, Jinki noticed the slight difference between their heights. This guy sure is tall (and perfect… wait, what?).

“Yeah, sure.”  The man replied.

Steadying the strap of his bag on his shoulder, Jinki bowed in front of the stranger and hesitantly sent a smile. He slowly stepped out of the waiting shed, carefully striding away. He was not really sure what has gotten into him but Kibum’s voice kept on echoing inside his brain as he walked away, the red umbrella now shielding him from the rain.

“If you see someone you like, kiss him… on the lips.”

When he was a few meters away from the bus stop, Jinki stopped. He took a few deep breaths while his hand tightened on the umbrella’s handle. He knows he’ll regret whatever he’s about to do. It might even hunt him until his last breath. But who the hell cares? There’s still this insane thumping inside his chest that won’t go away no matter what and something in him is telling him that he has to do it… now.

Jinki turned around facing the direction he passed a couple of minutes ago and walked back towards the waiting shed of the bus stop. Upon laying eyes on the man who is still sitting and waiting patiently for the bus to arrive, Jinki’s mind went blank and the next thing he knew was he was right in front of the stranger for the second time.

The stranger, surprised that he suddenly returned, blinked at him a couple of times before standing up, “You’re here again. Did you happen to forget something or-”

The question was never finished as Jinki stepped closer, cupped the man’s face, and crashed his lips on the other’s, followed by the sound of the umbrella hitting the ground. At that moment, time seemed to stop, as if it’s only him and the stranger who existed on the entire planet. Soon enough, Jinki could feel the man kissing him back and he felt hands resting on both sides of his waist. The kiss was sweet, gentle and innocent. Just like in the movies, the moment was simply magical. Yes, it is. Otherwise, Jinki doesn’t know how else to describe it.

He pulled away first but still close enough to keep their foreheads touching. Both of their breathing were uneven due to lack of oxygen from the recent happening. When he was calm enough, Jinki looked up and he was met with the man’s hazel brown eyes that seemed to be him in. He swallowed and took a step away from the man, completely breaking any physical contact between them.  

“I…uhm… I have to go,” he briefly said before fleeing away. It was still raining and Jinki could feel his hoodie starting to get soaked as well as the bag resting on his back, only then remembering that he left the umbrella back at the waiting shed (crap! the papers and the books inside it. He’ll worry about them later). But he’s too lost right now to mind.

Meanwhile, the stranger just stared on the empty space where Jinki stood just a few seconds ago as he tried to steady his breathing. Everything happened in a split second that he barely had the time to react or say something. It was all too fast for him to comprehend. He noticed his umbrella left forsaken on the cold floor. It was still raining, after all. The man was distracted in the middle of his thoughts when the sound of a vehicle stopping in front of him came. The bus is finally here.

-------------------------------------

“I’m home!” Kibum announced as he kicked off his sneakers and slid into his pink indoor slippers. He walked straight to their living room and he was surprised when he found no one. He proceeded to check the kitchen but still, no sign of his hyung. Now that’s weird. It’s five minutes before 8:00 PM and Jinki always calls him if he’ll come in late.

Kibum shrugged and decided to get changed and prepare dinner. Work was just too tiring for him today and he still had a project to finish tonight. He made a beeline towards the door of his room when he noticed the door to Jinki’s room right across to his, was slightly open. Kibum peaked in and saw that lights were off. Perhaps Jinki is still out. He was about to turn on his heels and leave when he heard a shifting sound coming from the general direction of the bed inside. Without a word, Kibum entered the room and switched on the lights.

True enough, there was a figure lying down on the mattress of the bed covered by the sheets. “Yah, old man. Why are you curled up in there?” As far as Kibum could remember, Jinki rarely sleeps this early. It’s either he’s doing a couple of school works or reading a book before going to bed. When his best friend didn’t respond, Kibum forcibly pulled the sheets covering the other. Jinki quickly buried his face on his pillow.

“I’m asking you a question, Jinks.” Kibum said crossing his arms. Still no answer. Feeling the fine thread of his patience snap, Kibum pulled the pillow away violently from Jinki and the action earned him a groan from the older.

“Are you sick or something… and yah! You are soaking wet! What happened?!“

Jinki slowly sat up and eyed at his best friend, “Kibum-ah, you’re my best friend, right? You love me no matter what, don’t you?” He could notice the older slightly tearing up.

Kibum rolled his eyes and sighed, “What’s with the sudden drama? What did you do?”

Jinki grabbed his wrist, “You won’t judge me, right? You know me, I don’t do reckless things.”

Kibum was starting to get nervous. What could this old man possibly have done? “Did you do something illegal or against the law? Did you rob a bank? Stole a bucket of chicken or... worse...” Kibum paused and gasped, “Did you murder someone?!”

Jinki's features were immediately replaced by a frown as he freed the younger’s wrist, “You’re exaggerating.”

“Then what the hell is it?!”

Jinki once again shut his mouth. He’s not even sure where and how to start. He played with his fingers for a while and stared at it before deciding to lock gaze at his raven-haired best friend, “Believe me, I didn’t know what has gotten into me that I ended up doing it. It was probably because of the rain or the academic stress I’ve been under recently. But you know me, I never-”

Kibum raised a hand to stop him from spouting words that didn’t really answer his question. “Jinks, you sounded someone from outer space. Speak human language and get straight to the point.”

Swallowing a huge lump that Jinki didn’t remember forming in his throat and tried to calm his nerve, “Remember the conversation we had the other day? The dare you gave me?”

“What about it?” Kibum asked back raising an eyebrow.

“I…” Jinki was trying hard to rake every corner of his brain to form proper sentences, “I did it…” he finished, the last part almost coming out as a whisper.

Kibum was still frowning in confusion looking lost. He took a seat at the edge of the elder’s bed, “Okay. I need a moment to understand. Can we be more specific here?”

Jinki looked at Kibum trying hard to get the message across the younger. He had no strength left to explain to the younger what he did.

Fortunately, the younger seem to have received the message and upon realization, his feline eyes doubled their size, “Wait… You… you don’t mean to say… Oh my god.”

Jinki slightly nodded confirming whatever scenarios Kibum had already formed inside his head. The younger placed a hand on his shoulder, “Oh no, Lee Jinki. You didn’t. You didn’t actually kiss a total stranger.”

 

“You are the one who told me that that stranger was supposed to be the person I like!” Jinki justified, obviously flushed.

“I know, I know. I just… couldn’t believe you actually did it. That’s just woah!” Kibum was pure ecstatic, Jinki could clearly see it.

“Kibum-ah, we got a serious problem here,” he deadpanned. He clearly didn’t  understand why his best friend is suddenly bouncing in excitement.

“I don’t see why that is a problem.”

“Kibum!!!” Jinki raised his voiced getting off from his bed, “I kissed someone I don’t even know! That’s totally crazy!”

“And you regret it?” Kibum threw at him.

Jinki didn’t respond. Because well, as shameless as it may sound, he didn’t regret it. Not at all. The feeling of the man’s lips on his was just pure… bliss. And it’s not like the guy pushed him away or showed him a disgusted face after the kiss.

Kibum stood up and walked towards him, “Things can’t be undone. You know that. And it’s not like you’re going to see each other again. If you happen to cross paths with him again, greet him with a smile and keep your cool. Did you even ask for his name?”

Oh. Jinki totally forgot that one tini-tiny important detail. Well, he guessed, it’s for the better. No information meant no connections at all. That way, the chances of bumping shoulders with the man will be slimmer. “I… didn’t. It slipped out of my mind.”

Kibum let out a laugh, “Is he really that gorgeous that your brain froze and forgot to ask his name?”

“Y-yah!” The older’s cheeks heated up, images of the man’s perfect features flashing back in front of him.

“So…” Kibum leaned in from behind, whispering something in his ear, “Was he a good kisser?”

“KIM KIBUUUUM!!!!!”

-------------------------------------------------

Two weeks have passed since that “fateful” meeting and Jinki was still trying with all his might to get over it. It was a Saturday when Kibum asked him to meet his current boyfriend. The guy goes by the name of Kim Jonghyun, a med student Kibum met on a café nearby a month ago. Jinki wasn’t surprised that things between him and Kibum were finally official (they’ve been spending a lot of time together anyway). Of  course, as the latter’s best friend, Jinki was happy for him. And since he has nothing to do that day (and still trying hard to get rid of any thoughts related to what he had done two weeks ago), Jinki agreed to meet this Jonghyun guy.

They arrived at the café he and Kibum frequents ten minutes before the agreed time. They were greeted by the smiling brunette at the cashier.

“Jinki-hyung! Key-hyung! It’s been a while since you last dropped by.” Taemin greeted brightly.

Both of them smiled at the young man, “Sorry, Minnie. Been a bit busy lately. How’s my favorite dongsaeng?” Kibum replied ruffling the younger’s soft brown strands.

Taemin chuckled upon the show of affection. When the older removed his hands, he quickly fixed his hair placing the strands on their proper place, “Perfect as always. Are you going to order now?”

Jinki shook his head in reply, “Maybe later. We’re still waiting for Kibum’s boyfriend.”

The younger brunette gasped the moment he heard the news, “Key-hyung has a new boyfriend?!”

“Yah, you make it sound as if I change boyfriends as often as I change my underwear.” Kibum defended, hitting Taemin shoulder.

Meanwhile, the oldest of the three watch the scene in amusement. It amazes Jinki how Kibum and Taemin has always somewhat maintained this Kibum-is-Taemin’s-mom-but-turns-into-a-sibling-during-play-fights. Oh well, it’s always nice to see your friends get along.

“Now, now. I think we should take a seat,” Jinki suggested taking Kibum away from the poor kid.

 

 

At sharp twelve, the bell at the door of the coffee shop rang and Kibum’s eyes twinkled in excitement. Jinki who was currently indulging himself with a news article on the local newspaper looked up to see the reason of the raven’s sudden enthusiasm.

A guy wearing specs dressed in black sweater and skinny jeans entered the shop. After looking at their direction, the guy’s lips formed a grin and hightailed at their direction. Kibum waved his hands and the guy took the seat across his best friend.

“I’m sorry I took a while, did you wait long?” The guy, which obviously is no other than Kim Jonghyun, asked.

Jinki could see Kibum’s cheekbones were about to ascend to heaven and, what the heck? Is he blushing?! His best friend had gone out with several hot guys out there (all of them are, he realized), but this is new. Kibum blushing like a school girl in front of her long time crush rarely happens so it was totally a scene to watch.

Feline eyes still squinted from smiling, Kibum shook his head. “It’s okay, you came exactly on time.”

Jonghyun’s grin grew wider and Jinki had to admit, this guy is stylish and stunning. He’s hundred and one percent sure that this person is Kibum’s ideal type. Except well, for his height (he totally observed it as the guy stood and walked over them).

“Ah! By the way, this is Jinki. The one I’ve been telling you about.” Kibum introduced touching Jinki’s shoulder, “Jinks, this is Kim Jonghyun. My… uhm… boyfriend. He’s a year younger than you.”

Oh no. Now, Kibum’s even shy?! Jinki felt like the person seating beside him was an entirely different person.

“Hi, hyung. It’s nice to finally meet you. I’ve heard so much about you from Kibum,” Jonghyun greeted pulling Jinki from his thoughts. He reached out the younger’s hand and shook it.

“Nice to meet you, too. I’m… uhm. Yeah. Kibum’s best friend.”

Jonghyun noticed that was still no coffee on their table, “You guys haven’t placed your orders? Should I do it for you?”

“Aaaw~ you’re such a gentleman,” Kibum shamelessly complimented and Jinki is starting to get goose bumps.

 A couple of minutes later, Taemin walked to their table and served them their respective orders. The three of them talked about anything under the sun, but mainly on how Jonghyun was head over heels for Kibum when they first met, to which the other strongly denied, telling Jinki it was the total opposite.

“Oh, by the way, guys. I hope you don’t mind. A friend of mine from the same university is coming. I just thought another company wouldn’t hurt.” Jonghyun said, taking a sip of his choco chip frappe.

“Of course we don’t! The more the merrier.”  Kibum gladly accepted, “And besides, this guy right here badly needs to meet someone.” He added, which earned him a kick on his shin from Jinki.

“Ouch!”

Jinki just smiled at Jonghyun as if nothing happened.

 

Soon enough, while they were busy discussing Kibum’s peculiar shopping habits, the bell of the café door rang as it opened. And the moment he took a glimpse of the person entering, Jinki’s stomach dropped a few meters below the ground.

It was him. Jinki’s “beautiful stranger”. Why the heck is he here of all places and cafés in Seoul!?

 

As the man was busy looking around, Jinki pushed his chair a couple of centimeters back attempting hide behind Kibum’s shoulder which of course, earned him a questioning glance from the other two.

“I... uhm. It’s a bit cold in here, don’t you think? Ha ha.” Jinki attempted to convince them but obviously failed.

“Jinks, air conditioner are there to make a place cold, not fiery hot.” Kibum stated as a matter-of-factly.

Still, Jinki wished there was a hole hidden somewhere for him to crawl in or the guy would just simply go away. Nevertheless, Jinki, peeping from Kibum’s shoulder, observed the man (damn, he still look as gorgeous as ever).

“Minho-ah, over here!” He heard Jonghyun call and Jinki has never been that horrified in his whole life.

As much as Jinki didn’t want to believe it, the guy strutted towards their table and in a matter of seconds, he was sitting in front of Jinki. Of course, he was still hiding behind Kibum’s shoulder, his only shield and protection (perhaps he should have opted to hide under the table since that’s more effective).

“This dude’s Choi Minho. We’re from the same degree program. He’s a year younger, though.”

Kibum took a sip of his drink before his lips formed an ’o’, “So you’re also a med student? And we’re of the same age! Hello. My name’s Kim Kibum. You can call me, Key.” he introduced.

Minho smiled and bowed in recognition and introduced himself in return, “Pleased to meet you, Key-ssi.”

As much as he wanted to listen to whatever conversation the rest was having, Jinki was too busy thinking of ways how to hide his face and save his life from any mortification (but he had heard loud and clear that the stranger’s name was Choi Minho and he mentally noted it). He must’ve done something terribly evil in his past life to be punished like this. However, suspicions were starting to be felt all around the place and he’s sure that the Minho guy was wondering if there was a psycho sitting with them.

Luckily, Kibum seemed to break all of those, “Ah, this guy is named Lee Jinki. He’s my best friend.” Kibum looked over his shoulder to whisper (and scold him) something to him “Yah. What the heck are you doing hiding like a criminal?”

Jonghyun and Minho both raised an eyebrow.

Kibum tried faking a laugh to break the awkwardness, “Sorry, he’s a bit… allergic to strangers sometimes.”

“Lee Jinki, will you just stop doing that?!” Kibum scolded him once more, but still in a toned down voice.

That moment, Minho decided to take the initiative, “Uhm… Hi. I’m Minho.”

Jinki bit his lip and closed his eyes. Okay. It’s now or never. Man up and be brave. He slowly lifted his face from his protective and only shield aka Kibum’s back and tried his best to smile. Smile makes things less awkward, right? Geez, hope it does works.

An awkward laugh was the first thing he did. his life, Jinki thought. “Yeah. Well… hi, Minho! Nice to meet you, too. Lee Jinki. But Jinki’s okay.” He introduced himself in a much more awkward manner.

It was obvious that Minho was surprised. Or shocked maybe? Whatever. But Jinki’s suspicions are affirmed by the other’s expression. Obviously, this Choi Minho was totally not expecting to meet the psycho who kissed him out of a whim again. Minho stared at him for a while before slightly bowing and smiling. My god, that damn smile still has that lethal effect on Jinki’s heart. Could it be possible that Minho has forgotten everything that had happened? Or maybe he’s an entirely different person who looks exactly like that “beautiful stranger” in Jinki’s bus stop romance flick?

“I see. So you’re name’s Jinki.” Minho slowly repeated while nodding to himself. With that low baritone voice repeating his name, Jinki just wanted to melt somewhere.

“I’m surprised that you agreed to come considering that you’re somewhat… out of it the past two weeks.” Jonghyun said as he was biting his straw.

Minho leaned back on his seat and let out a chuckle that sounded too sweet in Jinki’s opinion, “I’m glad I did, though. The answer to the reason why I’m spacing out lately is right here.” Minho said throwing a side glance and a smirk at Jinki’s direction. Kibum and Jonghyun stared at him then at Jinki then back at Minho, clearly sensing something fishy.

Jinki tried his best to pretend that he wasn’t hearing anything. However, he failed the moment Minho sent him that smirk, thus he choked on his coffee and coughed like there’s no tomorrow.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Jonghyun inquired handing out a tissue.

Jinki raised a hand as he was calming himself, “I’m okay.”

“I’ll just order something.” Minho stood up.

“You’re acting weird. What’s wrong?” Kibum asked as soon as Minho got up and headed at the counter. “You are creeping me out.”

Jinki shook his head to deny the fact that he’s indeed acting a bit creepy and smiled, “I’m good. No worries.”

“Minho said he had a unique”, Jonghyun gestured an invisible quotation to emphasize the last word, “encounter two weeks ago at a bus stop. But he won’t tell me no matter what. He seemed to always be in deep thoughts and whenever I ask him what’s up, he’ll just smile and drop the topic.”

Another coughing fit courtesy of Jinki.

“Aish! Seriously!” Kibum exploded.

Minho returned to his seat carrying a cup of Americano just in time to see the last of Kibum’s outburst while Jinki still tried to calm his coughing. They went back into an easy conversation which eventually lead to how tough med school was and Kibum asking curiously how they could stand being in front of a cadaver. The topic somewhat took a sharp turn and ended up on Kibum proposing that the four of them go out to shopping after their midterms.

“That would be fun. I’m in!” Jonghyun agreed, flashing his pearly whites at his boyfriend. Kibum then turned to Minho, “You’re coming right?” he asked.

Minho seemed to contemplate for a moment before answering, “I would love to if…”

Kibum raised an eyebrow waiting for him to finish the condition he has in mind. Then Minho glanced at Jinki who was being silent all the while and has done nothing but listen and laugh along during the entire conversation.

“If…” Minho paused for the second time, “Jinki-hyung will tag along” He turned to Kibum answering with a small smile.

Jinki instantly turned as red as tomatoes and turned his head down.

“Do you guys happen to know each other?” Jonghyun asked suspiciously resting his elbows on top of the table and Kibum nodded wanting to know the answer as well.

“Maybe?” Minho answered leaning forward lips curving into a knowing smile and Jinki felt like shrinking somewhere under the table.

This is bad. Jinki needed to come up with an excuse and get his out of here.

“Oh, right! I forgot I still need to finish something important. I’ll go first! It was nice meeting you, Jonghyun-ssi and well, you too… Minho-ssi. Bye! Have fun.” Jinki abruptly got up from his seat.

Kibum eyed him suspiciously. “But you said, you have nothing left to do all day.”

Jinki’s only reply was a fake grin and bowed a couple of times before rushing out of the shop. As soon as he was out of the shop, Minho also got up and patted Jonghyun’s shoulder, “I should go, too. Call you later, hyung.” Then just like that, the two of them were out of the café.

Kibum and Jonghyun were left staring at each other unable to understand what just happened.

 

A murderer. Jinki was sure he was one during his past life otherwise, fate wouldn’t be this harsh and punish him like this. He doesn’t care where his quick footsteps are taking him. He just had to get away from that… stranger - wait, he’s finally got a name now - from that Choi Minho and save himself from any further embarrassment.

Unfortunately, Jinki had always been a bad sprinter since middle school. Puberty didn’t seem to do him good in this part as he was caught by a hand on his shoulder halting him in his attempt to runaway.

“Hey there, wait.”

There he was, in his gorgeous almighty glory, Choi Minho.

“I just wanted to talk to you,” Minho added stepping in front of him and blocking his way.

Jinki stared at him for a moment searching for the right words. But he just doesn’t know how to start a conversation with this guy, “Hi there, Choi Minho-ssi. It was totally nice to see you again. Well then, if you’ll excuse me.” Jinki tried to walk away but with Minho’s persistence, the med student went to stop him again.

“Hey!,” the  taller man was blocking his way again, “Could we at least go somewhere and talk about, you know, things?” Minho asked with a somewhat pleading stare but Jinki told himself he must learn to resist temptations.

“I can’t. I’m busy.” He rejected attempting to walk away once more. Of course, like in any other movie, he wasn’t fast enough so he’ll get stopped once more.

“Whoa! You don’t need to run away. I meant no harm, really.” He heard Minho explain.

Jinki turned his head to the side. “Promise, I won’t take much of your time,” Minho pleaded once more.

Jinki glared at him, “Look, I’m sorry. Okay? I really am. I don’t know what evil spirit possessed me to kiss you during that time but it was totally my mistake for being rude and violating your personal space. I’m reflecting as of the moment. So could we just forget about it and peacefully separate our ways?” He smiled so as not to appear rude then walked past the guy.

But Minho was being stubborn and kept on blocking his way. This time, Jinki’s tolerant side ran out of batteries and glared at the taller man, “What now?”

It took a while before the other responded. Minho bit his lower lip and Jinki found the action adorable but didn’t show it.

“You see… it doesn’t have to do with what happened two weeks ago. I just,” Minho paused glancing at him massaging the back of his own neck, “I just want to get to know you. I admit I surprised when I saw you earlier but a greater part of me was relieved that I did because I’ve been constantly hoping to see you again.”

There was sincerity in his words. Jinki felt it. And for the first time in his life, he understood why people feel like they’re in cloud nine when face at such heart-fluttering situations. But still, a part of him tells him not to get too carried away.

“Please?” Minho pleaded and those eyes... Groaning mentally, Jinki swears he hates it when he looks at them like that. It’s like saying no would mean a major sin to the entire human race.

Lee Jinki. Get a hold of yourself.

Jinki closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “I’m sorry. I really need to go.” he declined but he knows the tone of his voice totally states that it’s the opposite of what he wanted to say. With that, he turned and walked past Minho who, to his relief, didn’t put up a fight stepping aside and didn’t go after him. Jinki knew regret will come to haunt and eat him alive but damage had been done. He can’t take it back now.

On the other side, Minho watched Jinki’s retreating figure and sighed in defeat. Placing his hand on either side of his hips, he closed his eyes lifting his head up. He himself doesn’t understand what on earth is going on with him but he can’t help feeling a strong sense of attraction towards Jinki. The sudden kiss might be one contributing factor but Minho’s more than sure that there’s something so much more. He won’t be able to figure that out if he’d stop here just because he was rejected this time. After all, “give up” never really existed in his vocabulary.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jinki spent the following nights moping in bed. During the same day of his fateful encounter with Choi Minho, Kibum stormed inside his room and demanded for an explanation on what the hell happened in the café. Jinki explain everything to him not leaving a single detail from how Minho was actually the guy he kissed on that rainy day to how he rejected Minho’s offer when he asked him out earlier.

Kibum, as expected, had an outburst and he received a good hour of lectures and “Why didn’t you go?!” and “What were you thinking rejecting a guy like that?” questions. Well, Jinki’s been lamenting on it – big time. But he himself doesn’t even understand why he did it. Maybe a part of him is afraid of further humiliation? Afraid that after a cup of coffee or two with him, Minho might lose interest the moment he opens his mouth? Or he’s really not yet ready for anything when it comes to love? But no matter how many bloody tears he cries, nothing’s going to change.

The next Saturday, Jinki woke up late. Thank heavens he has no classes during the weekends and at times like this, he wants to spend the whole day doing nothing (being one of the highest ranking students at the university doesn’t mean you can’t be act like a bum). The same goes for Kibum. He had spent the previous night polishing his position paper and went to bed around two in the morning. He dragged himself out of bed, wondering why Kibum didn’t wake him up for breakfast. With eyes still half-closed, he stepped out of his room and headed to the kitchen not minding that his hair is sticking out in all directions and he is still wearing a yellow pajama with bunny patterns on it (he loves that pj’s so much).

He poured himself a glass of water and proceeded to the living room looking for his best friend. Where could have Kibum possibly gone to? Went out to get them some groceries maybe? Or having a breakfast date with his boyfriend? Scratching the back of his head, Jinki looked around the room, adjusting his eye-sight from the brightness shining through the windows. As his eyes surveyed the living room, he spotted someone sitting cross-legged at their couch, and elbow resting on the armrest with his head leaning on his hand. Jinki narrowed his eyes to see the person clearer. When he vision clarified, Jinki thought of two things: it’s either he’s still in dreamland and all of these are part of his nightmare or Choi Minho is really here, inside their apartment, sitting as if he was at home. But that couldn’t be possible, right? No way.

“Good morning~” the person spoke. Minho spoke. Oh no. That sounded way too real to be a part of any dream or morning hallucinations. Jinki remained rooted on his spot. “What- how come…” he asked, more to himself than the imaginary Minho in front of him.

When Minho laughed, Jinki’s world fell apart. Realization hit him as if someone spilled a bucket of ice-cold water all over him. So he’s real. Choi Minho is really inside his apartment.

“WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” He screamed, half-horrified, half-amazed. Then he started thinking if this place was indeed his and Kibum’s apartment.

Minho stood up and walked towards him, “Visiting a friend?” Minho replied, smirk forming on his lips.

“Why- How on earth did you even manage to get inside?!” He continued his interrogation taking couple of steps backward as Minho walked closer trying to minimize the distance between them.

Minho halted and leaned forward, his face being too close for Jinki’s comfort. The former raised his hand to show a key hanging on his finger, “Your best friend gave me this.” He winked.

Jinki made a mental note to slay Kibum later. Where the heck is that fox anyway! Gathering every bit of his strength, he managed to push Minho away from him. “I… I’ll just go get something in my room.” He sprinted back to his room as fast as he can, shutting his door close. He quickly ran to his bedside table searching for his phone but it wasn’t there. After flipping every pillow on his bed, he managed to find it and press his number 2 speed dial (of course, his mom’s number is on number 1).

“Morning, Jinks!” Kibum greeted brightly on the other line.

“What the hell is Minho doing here?!” Jinki hissed, still panicking. It would probably take several moments for him to retrieve his mental stability.

A laugh was heard from the other line, “Oh that? I…uhm… I have to leave early today to run some errands. He told me he wanted to pay a visit. Poor dude, sounded so sincere and pleading so I met up with him and handed him my spare keys.”

Shutting his eyes close, Jinki slapped his forehead, “Why would you do that?!” He was trying to keep his voice down to prevent Minho from hearing him.

“Well, he seemed really eager to visit you so I decided to grant his little wish,” the raven replied and Jinki could picture him shrugging his shoulders.

Jinki massaged his forehead and sighed over the phone, “Kibum-ah, you know you should not-”

“Babe, could you lend me a hand with the roses over here?” Another familiar voice was heard from the other line. Sure enough, Kibum’s voice answered back, “Sure, babe! I’ll be there in a sec! Jinks, I need to go now. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Where on earth are you, anyway?! Y-yah! Kim Kibum!” Jinki pulled his phone away from his ear calling his best friend’s repeatedly despite knowing that the other has already hung up. Jinki threw his phone on his side and flopped his face down on his mattress.

 What was he supposed to do now? Obviously, he can’t stay locked up in his room all day (his stomach is growling like a wild beast). He also can’t just kick Minho out. Because, well, as much as the guy’s sudden appearance inside their apartment nearly killed him, the idea of having Minho here is nice. He also didn’t miss what Kibum said earlier – Minho wanted to see him. But Jinki had to remind himself that now’s not the proper time to act like a love struck high-school kid.

So what Jinki did was get up and proceed with his morning routine (he took longer than usual and choose more stylish clothes, though). He figured it’s best to go out there and talk to Minho, tell him he’s really not into surprise visits and send him out in a nicer way.

As he was nearing the kitchen, he could hear some cluttering noises. Jinki widened his eyes when he saw Minho moving around their kitchen area which is practically their dining area too. “What are you doing?”

 The other male quickly glanced up on him, “I’m setting the table so you could eat your breakfast. You’re hungry, right?” he asked before resuming his task.

Jinki remained rooted on his spot dumbfounded. Not only Minho is here in his apartment but now he’s also preparing a breakfast for Jinki? This is crazy. He shook his head hoping to clear his thoughts and forced himself to go back to reality, “You really don’t have to.”

Clapping his hand, Minho cheerfully announced that he’s done with everything. He pulled a chair and motioned for Jinki to take a seat. Jinki didn’t even realize when his legs started to move and before he knew it he was seating beside Minho who took the spot to his right.

Tearing his gaze from Minho’s angelic bright smile, Jinki let his eyes wander to the foods served on the table which are eggrolls, rice, a soup and kimchi.

“Did you… cook all of these?” He asked not waking from his bemused self. Minho in return nodded his head excitedly. Gosh, those eyes. Seeing them form crescents made Jinki’s stomach do a few crazy flips.

“I was so worried while I was cooking all of these, though. I thought I might wake you up and I’m not really sure if I could touch things in here. But Key-ssi assured me I could do whatever I please as long as I don’t burn the kitchen down.”

“Since when did you and Kibum become so close?” He was sure Kibum just met Minho at the café a week ago. So how come Kibum had trusted him with their apartment keys and their address?

“Key-ssi is Jonghyun-hyung’s boyfriend. Jonghyun-hyung’s like a real sibling to me so we’re really close. I think it’s only natural for me to become friends with him.”

Jinki was aware that he had slightly opened his mouth but closed them immediately as soon as Minho finished his explanation. Well, that makes sense. Besides, Kibum has never had problems with socializing. He has a huge circle of friends.

“Go on and eat,” Minho suggested passing the bowl of rice to Jinki and putting eggrolls in it. Jinki hesitantly grabbed his chopsticks, saying his thanks for the food before digging in. When he was half-way with shoving the food into his mouth, Jinki halted. Minho’s eyes were focused on him with full of expectancy and it made his heart race. “Why are you staring at me like that? I can’t eat when someone’s watching me like a hawk.” he asked, trying to shake off the fluffy feeling inside his chest.

“I’m just curious on what kind of expressions you make when you eat. Besides, I m the one who made all of these for you so I wanted to know if you’ll like them or not.”

Jinki chose to look down on his food, fighting hard to control the blush forming all over his face.

“Y-you’re weird,” Jinki stuttered. Minho chuckled lightly at the statement and Jinki could feel his face getting hotter by the moment.

The next few minutes passed by with no exchange of words between them (in which Minho continued to watch Jinki intently and the latter kept on telling himself to stay natural) and nothing was heard aside from the sound of the cluttering utensils. Of course, Jinki wanted to say something to break the awkward air between them but what else could he do? He’s nothing but blank the moment he got up from bed.

Jinki was about to finish eating, emptying the final contents of his bowl when Minho threw a question he was avoiding ever since the incident happened.

“Why did you kiss me?”

Choking and almost spilling the food he had already stuffed inside his mouth, Jinki instantly turned into a coughing fit. Luckily, Minho immediately handed him a life saver, a glass of water. Hitting his chest several times to help clear his breathing, Jinki stabilized himself as well as his mental state.

“Easy there,” Minho comforted patting his back several times. Jinki shot him a glare.

“If you throw such questions out of nowhere again, I’ll be a lifeless body before you could even step out of this apartment.”

Minho sat back to his seat and rested his elbows on the table. “What? Don’t you think I deserve an explanation?”

At that moment, Jinki contemplated whether Minho was indeed demanding for one or was just seeking revenge. Trying hard to sound confident, Jinki replied, “Okay okay. It was all just because of a stupid dare. Kibum was frustrated at me for being boring and single since forever. So he told me that the next time I happen to see someone I like, I have to kiss that person. That’s it. And again, I’m sorry. I was not in the right state of mind during that time. Everything clear?”

Minho hummed nodding his head and leaned back onto his chair. “So in other words, you like me?”

A hole. He and Kibum had moved here three years ago but this is the first time Jinki wanted to search the corners of their apartment for a hole to crawl in to and burry himself until apocalypse. Now, Jinki was even more convinced that he did something terribly evil in his past life aside from being a murderer. Perhaps, he had burned down a rainforest or spilled a poisonous chemical on the Pacific Ocean.

Jinki is sure he’s redder that any tomato or strawberry out in the market, “Tha-that’s!” he made an effort to defend himself from all this humiliation. But the words died down on his throat. The milk is spilled.

“I was right, then. That makes sense. I think I understand now.” Minho placed a hand under his chin. He looked satisfied with his own conclusion like someone who deserves a noble prize award.

Jinki buried his face on his hands with a growl. Why him of all people? What did he do to deserve this? Gathering the last bits of his composure, Jinki threw a determined look at the taller man.

“What do I have to do for you to let me be in peace?”

Minho dragged his chair closer, suddenly interested at the question, “Anything?” the younger asked.

“Anything.” This has to end. Jinki needs to take action now, he decided.

The grin already plastered on Minho’s face grew wider that Jinki was afraid his face would split into two at some point, “Go on a date with me.”

Jinki’s eyes doubled their size as soon as he heard the younger’s proposal. He felt his heart rate increase to the point that he was scared it would jump out his ribcage. This… this Choi Minho? Asking him out? What kind of sorcery is this?! This must be some kind of trap and Jinki is way too smart to fall for it.

“Why would I? I barely know you. We…we just met!” Jinki protested.

“Exactly. That’s why we’re getting to know each other.” Minho stated casually sounding completely comfortable with the idea.

Jinki was gaping like a fish in front of him for the second time since they met. Despite being a stuttering mess, he argued back, “I… I’m the type of person who likes to take this kind of things slow. Everything requires a perfect timing. I just don-”

“Slow? You kissed me the first time we met.” Minho interrupted him.

That was obviously a knock out. Once again, Jinki was speechless. That deed would always be one of his greatest flaws. Good thing he decided to get rid of his dream being a lawyer when he was five. He wouldn’t be able to defend his clients.

“So… do we have a deal?” Minho inched closer making it harder to breath for the older.

Leaning back to maintain a distance between their faces, Jinki turned his head to the side in order to avoid Minho’s bewitching eyes, “F-fine! But just once, got it?! Just this once!” he agreed. It’s a losing battle anyway. He’ll just have to endure one date and Choi Minho would just be another embarrassing memory of his recklessness.

To his surprise, Minho got up and yelled “Yes!!!” raising his fist in the air like some sort of a national athlete who just won the Olympics. Jinki tried to fight back the smile forming on lips. Minho could be really cute at times, he mentally concluded.

“I’ll see you at seven tonight.”

Jinki suddenly straightened his back and for the nth time this morning, he felt his eyeballs are about to pop out due to shock, “Tonight?! Our date is happening tonight?! I thought it would be-”

“You said ‘anything’. That includes me deciding when and where are we going to have a date,” Minho quickly countered with a smirk.

“But that’s too soon!” Jinki protested. This would be the first time he’s going to spend some time with some else aside from his family, a few campus friends, and of course, Kibum. He wanted to have enough time to prepare.

“You have still have, hmmm…” Minho paused staring at his wrist watch, “eight hours to prepare. It’s more than enough.”

Jinki rested his head on the edge of the table sighing in frustration.

“I think, I should go now so that you could have more time to get ready.”

Jinki slowly lifted his head and eyed Minho with a tired pout. The younger smiled and waved his hand before he walked out of their apartment. And just like that, storm Choi Minho disappeared leaving Jinki still blank and at a lost. But he can’t deny the fact that he’s somewhat excited deep inside.

---------------------------------------------------------

One more hour before the clock strikes seven and Jinki is still flipping through his wardrobe in search for proper clothes to wear. His hair is still a mess and he hasn’t even decided on what shoes he will use. On top of that, Kibum still hasn’t returned. He tried to reach his best friend by leaving tons of messages and calling him after every five minutes but he didn’t receive any reply. Seriously, where is he when Jinki needed him the most (judging from their last phone call, however, Jinki was sure the raven was with Jonghyun)?! Kibum’s fashion sense would definitely be of a great help right now.

Jinki first opted to wear something formal like a suit or polo but he isn’t comfortable wearing those at all. In the end, he decided to just be himself and take on a casual look. He picked up a varsity jacket, a white slight ripped jeans and simple rubber shoes.

Thirty more minutes and Jinki is starting to get anxious. He forgot to ask if Minho would pick him up or what. It’s not like the younger stated the venue and he blames himself for being too occupied (and happy) with the thought of having a dinner date with Minho.

Jinki slightly jumped from his spot when he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket.

From: *no number*

Hi, Jinki-hyung! Finished with your preparations? kekeke.
Take a cab and head straight in front of the

Namsan tower. Further instructions will be
given when you get there.

See you~ ;)

Jinki doesn’t need to ask from whom the message came from. It was obviously him. And of course, only one person could give him his number. He’ll make sure to skin Kibum alive if he didn’t give him a proper explanation later. Nevertheless, Jinki went on his way.

 

To say that Jinki is nervous was an understatement. He was palpitating, a mix of anticipation and anxiousness were flowing all over his veins. When the cab driver called his attention and told him that they have already arrived at their destination, Jinki handed a few bills to the driver and stepped out of the cab, his feet taking unsure steps to who-knows-where.

And there he was, standing in front of Namsan tower. Now what? While he was debating if he should give Minho’s number a call to ask what is he up to, a little girl approach him reaching out her hand holding a piece of rose with a small card attached to it. Jinki kneeled down so that they were both on eye-level.

“Are these for me?” He asked despite the answer being obvious. The little girl nodded enthusiastically and Jinki took the rose with the tiny card from her.

“Thank you,” Jinki smiled tenderly and the little girl responded by grinning widely at him before walking away. He got up on his knees to open and read the contents of the card inside the envelope.

“You’re here! First of all, I would like thank you for giving me bits of your spare time. Now, go straight to the building to your right (the ones with the bright blue lights)! =^^=”

Jinki looked around in search for the restaurant specified in the card and found it in no time. He’s still clueless as to what Minho is up to but for now, he has no choice but to follow instructions.

The entrance of the place was surprisingly small and upon entering, Jinki saw the elevator. After a few seconds of waiting the door slid open and he was greeted by a young lady, probably one of the staffs, who stepped out of the elevator. The lady bowed her head and handed Jinki another envelope.

“Ride the elevator until you reach the rooftop. A surprise is waiting for you up there~ ^^”

Jinki glanced at the young lady who in turn, gave him a reassuring smile. Jinki slightly bowed and stepped inside the elevator. His heart rate hasn’t stabilized since this morning and he was beginning to wonder if that’s good for the health. Maybe, he should go see a doctor after this.

When he reached the second floor, the doors of the elevator slid open which startled him a bit. Waiting in there, was another lady, whom he again assumed as another member of the management holding a placard this time.

“What do you like to do during your free time? I usually spend them sleeping all day and playing soccer with my friends. Let’s do something we both enjoy next time! ^^”

After reading, Jinki blinked at the randomness indicated at the placard.  He raised an eye-brow flashing a confused smile before bowing once gain and closing the doors of the elevator. What exactly is going on in here?

By the time he reached the third floor, the doors slid open once again and a placard was held in front of him.

“I really like dark colors like black and blue. How about you? Do you like brighter colors? The yellow bunny pajamas you’re wearing this morning look really cute on you~ ;)”

Jinki’s face immediately heated upon suddenly being reminded of the memory. He’s not someone who looks good at mornings and he couldn’t help but be amazed that Minho noticed his pajamas.

Another floor and the doors opened once again. Jinki was starting to get used to it and he was beginning to enjoy the questions and bits of information Minho’s revealing about his self.

“What’s your favorite food, by the way? I don’t really have one since I have the tendency to eat every food I see! The next time we go out and eat, feel free to choose what and where! ^^”

Jinki laughed lightly at the message. In that case, Minho didn’t really have to worry. He’s also a glutton himself and he goes by the motto, “I live to eat”, not the other way around.

Fifth floor and Jinki was almost jumping in excitement even before the door slid open. It’s a bit childish but he appreciates Minho’s rather unique way of getting to know each other. The next placard reads,

“I like sunny weathers since I think it’s a nice weather to play soccer. But after meeting you at the bus stop, I started to look forward of rainy days because it reminded me of you~ :’)”

The message made Jinki’s heart skip a few beats and his mind instantly travelled back to when he first met Minho at that rainy evening. By the time Jinki arrived at the last floor, there were no placards in front of him and he carefully stepped out of the elevator.

He was greeted by a male staff that smiled and gestured for him to proceed upstairs. Jinki smiled back. When Jinki took a turn on his way to the stairs, he was shocked when familiar voices came behind from behind.

“Congratulations! You’re almost at the final stage!”

Jinki quickly turned his heels to see Kibum and Jonghyun holding out party poppers. He had to blink several at times to get rid of the confusion as to why these two were here.

“Hi, hyung!” Jonghyun welcomed him waving his hand but Jinki is sure his face was void of emotions.

“Yah! Could you be more energetic? Do you know how much effort and time we gave for this golden event?” Kibum asked him, whining.

“So you mean to say this morning…? You- you guys were here all this time?!” He asked as soon as he finally completed the pieces of puzzle inside his head.

“Now, now. Explanations will come later. We have to hurry. For now…” Kibum pulled a hanky and used it to blindfold Jinki before he could even oppose.

“Wait. What are you guys up to?”

“Don’t worry, hyung. We got you. Careful with your steps.” Jonghyun assured supporting him by the arm and he could feel Kibum doing the same on the other side. The two guided him and made sure he climbed out of the stairs safely. When they finally reached the rooftop, Kibum removed the blindfold and Jinki opened and closed eyes to adjust to the sight.

“I’ll see you later, Jinks!” Kibum whispered and winked at him while Jonghyun gave him a toothy grin. Before he could ask the two where they’re off to, they disappeared behind a door, leaving Jinki alone.  Jinki sighed and slumped his shoulders in defeat and upon turning around, he felt his breath stop for a few seconds because of the sight in front him.

 In front of him were lighted candles forming several layers of heart shape. At the side was a dinner table with candles and sumptuous dishes. Rose petals were scattered everywhere. It’s like he is dreaming and Jinki had to pinch a body part to check if he is still in reality. Since when did the guys prepared for this?

Still unable to recover and too absorbed in his own thoughts, the sound of a violin playing a sweet and romantic music was heard and Jinki took a few more steps towards its source.

“I’m not even sure if this is close to your ideal date. More importantly if I’m your ideal type, but I could always do better next time,” a voice spoke and Jinki turned his head in every direction the moment he heard it.

There he is, carrying a bouquet of white roses and wearing a black suit, Choi Minho. Jinki was left speechless as the man took confident strides until he was standing close to him. If there was a word greater than “gorgeous”, then that’s how he would describe how Minho looks tonight. Had his self control been any weaker, he would’ve jumped and hugged the other right then and there. Minho beamed at him reaching out his arm and handing him the bouquet.

Jinki took them slowly with a confused grin hoping that it would cover up how happy and touched he was as of the moment. “Isn’t it weird to give flowers to another male?”

Minho lifted a fist over mouth and chuckled, “Not to you, I just guessed you would love them. Judging from your expression, I think I am right.”

Jinki looked down on the bouquet he was holding acting as if he’s contemplating hard on what to answer, “Well, since you made an effort, I’ll accept it this time.” he raised an eyebrow, smirking at the other male.

“Shall we?” Minho invited, offering his hand which Jinki took and held. He couldn’t deny how butterflies swarmed in his stomach and how even faster his heart was beating upon the contact. They took a seat across each other and Jinki was once again amazed when he saw several delicious meals in front of him.

“Since when? I mean… how did you prepare all of this?” Jinki asked tearing his gaze from the food and looking up at Minho.

“Let’s just say I’m good at planning things and of course, I did it with Key-ssi and Jonghyun-hyung’s help.” Minho stated, sounding too proud of himself.

Grinning widely at each other, the younger suggested they start eating their meal before the food gets cold. A romantic scenario like this was something Jinki had only daydreamed of. Sweet music resounding around while having a candlelight dinner...everything was just so dreamy. He didn’t need to ask to confirm how much effort Minho and their friends had poured with all these preparations (guess he has a reason to be a bit more forgiving to Kibum about letting Minho inside their apartment and giving him his number without his permission).

“Don’t couples usually dance when a soft music like this is playing?” Minho asked looking from the stake he was slicing.

Jinki slightly tilted his head to the side on the question, “I guess so? In romantic movies they do.” he replied before directing the fork with tender beef to his mouth. He was left wondering when Minho abruptly got up from his seat and walked at his side, extending a hand as he bent down.

“May I?” Minho asked grinning like a kid. Jinki, in return, rolled his eyes as he set his utensils down.

“I have two left feet. I’m not a good dancer, I tell you.” he warned as he looked up to face the younger.

“Neither do I. But we could always try, right? For the sake of experience.”

Jinki immediately laughed at Minho’s reasoning and grabbed the other’s hand. They stood awkwardly near each other, both of them not knowing what to do next.

“It’s supposed to go like this, right?” Minho asked, putting Jinki’s hands on his shoulders so that they were resting and on it. Feeling a bit more unsure and confident at the same time, he placed his hands around Jinki’s waist then started both of them started to sway trying to match the music which was still playing in their background.

Jinki tried to laugh off how tense he was as his and Minho’s face were really close to each other. He faced the ground to avoid any contact because he knew that the moment he looks at the other’s eyes, he’ll lose every bit of self control that he has. Too focused on his self, he failed to notice how Minho’s hands around his waist were also slightly shaking.

"I should've worn something formal. Our outfits don't match at all," Jinki pointed out. Now he regrets not choosing to wear that suit hidden on his closet.

Minho quickly disagreed, "You look good. I actually love it."

Cheeseball. 

Jinki commented inside his head, careful not to accidentally say it out loud.

“How was it tonight? I mean did you like… uhm, like it?” he heard Minho asked him.

Jinki’s mind was still stuck with the very little proximity between them and how Minho’s hands were resting on his waist. He chanted the words ‘calm down’ inside his head like a mantra before he remembered to answer Minho’s question.

“It was a bit childish but... I... yeah, it was cute and the placards were fun to read. I also commend you for your effort.” Jinki replied this time staring back at Minho’s large hazel brown orbs.

Minho’s sweet laugh resounded in Jinki’s ears which resulted to his already fast heartbeat to increase.

 “But you know what, I realized something stupid,” Minho stated.

“…and what’s that?”

“I wrote a couple of things about myself on those placards. But then, it figured out it would be much better if had told and asked you those things face to face. That way I could hear your answer.”

Jinki turned his head at the side and chuckled lightly before locking eyes back to Minho’s, “For the record, I like dozing off and reading books on my spare time. We could do some movie marathon if that doesn’t bore you. My favorite color includes yellow and orange. And yes, I really love that bunny pajama you saw this morning. Chicken is an all-time fave. We can’t be friends if you can’t eat one. But I’m not a picky eater. For the weather, it doesn’t really bug me but I hate thunderstorms because they scare me. Also rain is… ” Jinki suddenly halted, his mind once again taking a journey back wherein they kissed.

“…is…” Jinki tried to go on but his voice got stuck in his throat.

Their position was almost the same back then. Jinki finds it harder to continue whatever he had to say when he saw Minho's smiling eyes suddenly turned dark and slowly moved closer. At this rate, Jinki could feel that two of them were literally breathing the same air. He could feel the younger’s breath hitting his face but he’s entrapped by Minho’s stare which made him remain still.

Everything seemed to be leaning on the perfect side when he felt droplets fall on his skin. Soon enough, these droplets started to fell heavier and suddenly rain came pouring down. They pulled away and put a bit of distance among themselves but just enough to still not let go of each other. They looked up at the dark skies then stared back at each other once again before the two of them laughed hard at their situation.

After both of them were sure that their laughter had died down, Jinki was the first to speak, “The mood is all ruined now.”

Minho leaned back a bit to eye him from head to toe. Well, aside from that fact that both of them were now soaking wet, he disagreed with Jinki’s statement.

“It couldn’t be more perfect,” he smiled softly at the slightly shorter male fixing the wet honey brown strands that got stuck on Jinki’s forehead due to the rain. Jinki stared back at him with shining eyes and Minho thought that the other male was one of the most beautiful creatures he has ever seen (because well, Jinki seems to exceed humanity’s definition of “beautiful”, at least to him).

When Minho leaned forward once more and this time, Jinki remained completely still and closed his eyes. Minho’s lips met his and everything seemed to have blocked out. Jinki felt electricity ran down his spine as the younger kissed him tenderly and slowly.

Minho was the first to break the contact and searched for Jinki’s eyes once more. The older gave him a suspicious grin, “Isn’t it a bit rude to kiss someone on your first date?”

“Isn’t it ruder to kiss someone you just met?” Minho chuckled defending his action. Embarrassed by the younger’s statement, Jinki lightly smacked Minho’s chest and hide the dark shade of red that found its way to his face. He hoped that the raindrops would help to cover it up though, even just a bit.

“Maybe it was just because of the rain,” Jinki mumbled. Unfortunately, Minho heard him and placed a hand on his chin to make him look up. There it was again, that angelic smile that never failed to hypnotize him and make him think of nothing but black.

“Then I guess, I should thank the rain for making you bold,” Minho said before kissing him once more. Jinki was shocked at first but he was too happy to complain and gradually closed his eyes again, allowing the younger to do whatever he pleased. The kiss they shared this time was more passionate but still innocent, just like the ones they shared under the shed. Their lips were dancing in perfect synch and before either of them knew it, Jinki’s arms encircled around Minho’s neck and the latter responded by snaking his arms around Jinki’s waist pulling their bodies close to each other.

Destiny and perfect timing.

Indeed, it was something worth believing in. But Jinki learned two things: destiny is something you are capable of creating on your own and perfect timing is all about deciding when your heart is up and ready for anything.

And perhaps, Jinki would learn to appreciate and love the rain even more.


Uhm...

Hi guys?? XD

Anyways... I'm back for the time being to give you this present!!!

This is my simple of saying thank you to all my subscribers who have been very patient and enduring with a lazy like me.

Seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Honestly, I'm not sure if I was able to do a great job. XD

(I know some of the parts were a bit rushed and one way or another)

But I do hope I was able to bring out the fluff. 

(even I myself was cringing at some parts. Lmao!)

Because well...

OnHo has always been one of the fluffiest pairing out there~ XD

Besides, I wanted to write something light and happy because the scenarios I had for my ongoing fic were starting to get really dark and heavy, I needed a break from it. XD

So much for that, tell me guys what do you think of this story! ;)

You know how your comments make my world go round. 

For now, I'm off to continue writing Breaking Chains.

byeeeeeiiiiiii~ 

PS:

And again, a million thanks to babymiiinsangel for taking time to edit and beta this crap  as well as for correcting all those messy and silly mistakes. You literally turned this fic into a swan from a disgusting duckling! XD I LOVE YOU, GIRL! ♥ As much as the skies, more than Jonghyun does! XD lmao. /slapped/