Enemies in Love

Enemies in Love

A dimpled guy walked towards the cafeteria. His footstep wasn’t that fast, though. He had his hands in his pockets. With the styled-up hair, ed uniform blazer and white shirt with no necktie, he surely looked hot. It was confirmed already because the girls (and boys) were looking at him in admiration when he walked along the corridor.

He was in the senior year of high school, but he looked younger than that. And yes, actually he’s the youngest senior there, thanks to acceleration program he joined when he was still in middle school. When he entered high school, he was offered to join acceleration program again because he really has that brilliant brain but he declined it. He wanted to have a normal high school life without anyone forcing him to study REAL hard to prevent him from being kicked out from that acceleration program.

But seemed like someone didn’t really want him to have a normal high school life.

It happened to be a tall, giant man who just poured iced Americano accidentally to his white uniform shirt. But the dimpled guy knew better than that; it wasn’t an accident. It was something the giant must have prepared at least since yesterday.

“Oops,” the giant murmured. “Sorry, looks like your shirt is soaked and black already.”

The dimpled guy only sighed. He was used to this. He just didn’t understand why the giant had to do this on the first day of the week. It wasn’t a really good start, he must say. Even the whole cafeteria was tensed. They all knew those guys’ history since day one they entered the school. Now they were afraid if the dimpled guy fought back.

“Aww you’re mad. What can I do~?” the giant singsong-ed.

“ off, Wu Yifan,” is the only sentence that came out from the dimpled guy’s mouth. He took out his handkerchief from the pocket on the back of his pants to rinse his shirt. He knew it was useless, but at least he tried.

“Wooo Zhang Yixing, you know I don’t mean it,” Yifan said with that infamous smirk. Even the teasing tone of him was notable. Yixing had known it for years already.

Yixing didn’t want to look up and meet Yifan’s gaze, but if he continued doing that, he knew he would have lost the game. So he bravely looked at Yifan right in the eyes with that sharp gaze like a lion that just had a sudden wake up call.

“You don’t mean it but you’re so mean,” he hissed. “Look, I don’t know what you’re aiming by pouring your precious Americano to my shirt but this is so childish regardless your tall, Eiffel-like body. You’re now in your last year in high school, I think it’s really important to make a good impression of yourself rather than uselessly messing someone’s day.”

Yifan whistled after hearing Yixing’s words. Yixing saw no sign of sincere apologize from Yifan so he took it as a cue to go to the washroom. He could hear Yifan and the gang (another giant named Park Chanyeol and Kevin Shin who is also tall—seriously, they should call themselves ‘Tower Gang’) cooed him from behind, even Yifan’s ruthless remark “Go tell your mom about this, baby XingXIng!” that echoed around the cafeteria. Yixing was too tired to even fight back, so he just walked away to the washroom and acted like he was deaf to hear Yifan’s gang’s coo. When he turned left, he was glad the annoying voice also disappeared.

Yixing took off his blazer and shirt. He used the handsoap to wash the stain on his shirt. The water pouring from the sink was the only witness of his cursing words. He really tried his best not to curse in front of Wu Yifan because he didn’t want the other students to feel uncomfortable while having their lunch. He had experienced it once, when Yifan deliberately bumped his broad shoulder to Yixing’s. Like a girl in PMS, Yixing pushed Yifan back and started yelling that time. And like a child whose toys were stolen, Yifa yelled back. The cafeteria was really in a mess and they were grounded for a week after that. That’s why Yixing didn’t fight back when Yifan insulted him few minutes ago.

Right when he was drying the shirt, his best friend Lu Han came in.

“Oh my God why are you like that?” but then he saw what Yixing was doing. “Oh. Yifan again?”

Yixing rolled his eyes. “Who else can it be?”

Lu Han sighed. He approached Yixing and helped the younger guy to dry the shirt off. “You know I can just tell Yifan to stop bullying you.”

“Your ex-boyfriend only needs to focus more on his study rather than pissing someone off,” Yixing said. He was done drying off his shirt so he put it back on. “He’s in his last year in high school and I hope he won’t fail on the finals.”

Lu Han chuckled a bit. “You know, for an enemy you’re too caring.”

“I know. I’m the worst enemy ever. You need to give me an award,” said Yixing, walking out the washroom after he was done dressing up.

 

-

 

Wu Yifan and Zhang Yixing. The two guys who always fight over something silly and stupid. They had known each other for years—since they were still in elementary school. At first they were good friends, although they weren’t that close. Their middle school was the high-ranked one in town so not so many students from their elementary school entered that middle school. Yifan and Yixing were the lucky ones to enroll there. That’s why when Yixing was in freshmen year, they got closer than before.

It started to get worse when Yixing joined acceleration program in the middle school. Yixing was getting more engrossed to his study and he only hung out with his classmates, and soon he abandoned Yifan. Their good relationship then changed into the bad one where they usually insulted each other or fought publicly, moreover after Yifan ‘stole’ Yixing’s position as the best student in the school. They were the best graduates but although Yixing still won, his score was just slightly higher that Yifan’s by 0.005 points. You can imagine how mad Yifan was.

They, unfortunately, enrolled to the same high school. Both Yixing and Yifan were offered acceleration program, but after Yixing declined it, Yifan followed after. The war between them got more intense as they furiously chased the first rank in their year. There were times when Yifan won, because Yixing started dating some guys and somehow lost his focus on his study. When Yixing won, it was also because Yifan dated Yixing’s best friend, Lu Han. Both Yifan and Yixing stopped dating other guys months ago because they wanted to win their first rank back but Yixing took more efforts so he won.

So yes, Yixing knew why Yifan bullied him earlier. He envied him who took the first position, again. And it wasn’t his fault that he tried harder.

Lu Han, being the third rank and Yixing’s best friend and Yifan’s ex-boyfriend, had been witnessing everything. He wasn’t a fool so he knew those two beyond that. After all, he had been friends with Yixing since day one they entered the classroom in their freshmen year in high school so he was clever enough for Yixing to fool, and he dated Yifan for at least three months. Three months dating is enough to know all about Yifan. He knew something Yifan and Yixing didn’t even realize.

But Yifan and Yixing weren’t considerate enough to find out each other’s mind and feeling.

 

-

 

“Good morning, Senior Zhang,” a voice from behind made Yixing jumped. When he turned around, he could see a junior smiling at him. A very familiar junior, he must say. “How are you today?”

“Sehun you scared me,” Yixing complained. “I’m fine, thanks for asking. I hope you’re fine, too.”

Sehun smiled widely. “Of course I am!”

Yixing smiled back as he whispered loudly, “Cool.”

Sehun is a junior from the freshmen year. Yixing knew him because Sehun gave him a love letter. It was the orientation period in the school where all the new students were introduced to the school, where they were tricked by seniors to do many weird things such as wearing ribbons, big-sized nametag, and also writing love letters to the seniors. That’s just one of those weird things. And actually, Yixing rarely showed up during the orientation period because he was busy writing permission letters to the teachers since he was a secretary in student council squad. But Sehun could manage to find him and write him a love letter. Sehun’s was the only love letter he got and he didn’t even know why that letter was announced as the best love letter. Yixing would never tell you what Sehun wrote in his letter, though.

Speaking of love letters, Yixing received a lot since he enrolled to the high school. Well, in middle school too but the amount of the letters got higher after he stepped in the high school.

That morning, too.

He wondered what time they went to school just to slip the letters into his shoes locker. He found around five letters… and a photo with that typed letter. Ever since he was in freshmen year, he always received photo-letters. Not everyday, but at least he got one every week. Occasionally twice a week when he was feeling so down and gloomy. That, he also wondered how the sender could find out what he was feeling. He assumed the sender was in the same year with him and until that day, he hadn’t found out who.

That time it was the photo of him smiling till his eyes formed two crescent moons. He didn’t remember when he smiled so bright like that. Behind the photo, he found a typed letter.

Your smile is like an energizer to me.

Hope this letter can also energize you.

Have a nice week, my star.

Yixing smiled. He looked around just to make sure Sehun wasn’t spying on him but all he saw was that Sehun was busy wearing his shoes. He exhaled of relief.

Then, behind Sehun, there was a tall man walking towards Yixing and bumping his shoulder. Yixing turned his head to find Wu Yifan smirking at him. His hatred was boiled but he could only complain when Sehun had headed to his classroom.

“What was that,” Yixing hissed, emphasizing every word.

“My way of greeting you. ‘Good morning’ is so mainstream, don’t you think, Xiao XingXing?”

Yixing huffed and after he closed his shoes locker, he approached Yifan and bumped his shoulder back. “Very nice, Fanfan.”

Yifan snorted. “Revenge, huh? Interesting.”

He bumped back.

And they kept going on until they reached the classroom.

(For some reasons they felt so stupid but their prides were too high to give up.)

 

-

 

The teacher was giving feedback of the last biology test they had. Yifan got the best score and it drove Yixing mad. He could act fine as long as Yifan didn’t look at him with that cocky triumph smirk and since the giant did, Yixing couldn’t help but to glare back.

“Congratulations Wu Yifan, for getting the best score. Keep it up and for the others, I hope you can manage to get the best score too,” the teacher said.

Yixing scoffed. His score was only 0.03 below Yifan. The other reason why he got mad was because ‘if only I really chose option C for the question number 7!’ and he blamed himself for being so careless and stupid.

Suddenly a bundle of paper hit his forehead. The paper landed right on his desk. He looked around to see where it was coming from and he found Yifan smirking at him, while resting his cheek on his palm. Yixing rolled his eyes because he knew the war was about to begin again.

He opened the paper and it read:

LOSER

Yixing gripped the paper angrily and before he knew he threw one of his shoes right to Yifan’s head. All the students in the classroom got their sight set on those two enemies, even the teacher had to turn around to see the noise behind her.

“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!” Yifan yelled to Yixing, ready to throw the shoe back to Yixing and when he did, it hit the one whose seat right next to Yixing.

Yixing looked at the boy and felt so pity because his nose was bleeding. He turned to Yifan again.

“DON’T BE SO FULL OF YOURSELF JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT THE BEST SCORE YOU ,” Yixing yelled back.

“YOU CAN JUST CURSE ME BACK RATHER THAN THROWING YOUR SMELLY SHOE YOU SLOW-PACED BRAIN!”

“Wu Yifan, Zhang Yixing—”

“SHUT UP YOU —”

“LOOK WHO’S THE NOW—”

“Boys—”

“OH RIGHT YOU’RE THE LOSER—”

“YOU DICKLESS —”

SILEEEEEENNNNCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

All the attentions now were to the teacher. She actually screamed and maybe the other classes could hear her loud voice. And after she could control herself, she looked at the two enemies.

“I’ll cut 5 points from your test scores, both of you,” she said sternly.

“But teacher, he started this—”

“He threw his shoe right to my head—”

“MORE COMPLAINTS OR I’LL GET YOU TWO OUT OF MY CLASS UNTIL GRADUATION!”

With that, they remained silent and for the sake of everyone in the classroom, they went on with the biology class.

 

-

 

It was raining when the bell rang. Yixing looked out the window to see the dark sky and the rain that falling violently. He wondered how to get home when he forgot to bring his umbrella. So he waited for the rain to stop at the shoes locker room, alone.

Or so he thought.

“Such a forgetful guy you are, XingXing, never remember to bring umbrella,” and Yixing rolled his eyes when he hears the familiar voice calling his special nickname. Usually only his family called him that, but certain someone also called him XingXIng just to . Even Lu Han never called him XingXing. Who else other than…

“Yifan,” Yixing called out. “I’m surprised you’re still here. Study harder to beat me hm?” he asked with slight mocking tone.

“What a cocky bastard,” Yifan smirked. “You should get a boyfriend to walk you home with the big umbrella and maybe making out under the rain.”

“Stop talking nonsense.”

“But maybe I can understand why Taekwoon broke up with you. He can’t stand your forgetfulness, am I right? He’s sick of you who doesn’t even know how to take care of yourself and only depend on others,” and Yifan started to insult Yixing again.

Yixing turned to look at Yifan’s gaze. He was really tired but Yifan asked for this. “Taekwoon has nothing to do with that matter, Wu.”

“Or Junmyeon who is in your student council squad. He must be so sick working with you as his secretary—”

“All of my ex-boyfriends have nothing to do with that, and I hope I make myself clear this time, in case you forget,” Yixing adamantly said.

Yifan could see the stern look from Yixing and he let out a small chuckle a few seconds after that.

“I see you’re very tired arguing with me, hmm?” Yifan challenged once again.

“Well, aren’t you?!” Yixing exasperatedly asked back. “Rather than arguing with me you can actualy lend your umbrella to me or something—”

“Oh yeah, I was going to,” Yifan said as he handed his umbrella to Yixing. “Here, take it. Give it back to me anytime.”

Yixing frowned. He hesitantly took the umbrella with confused look on his face. “Are you sure…?”

“More than sure. I have an extra umbrella,” he patted his backpack, “because I’m genius.”

The younger male scoffed. “Fine. Thank you then. Bye.”

“Bye, Xiao XingXing~” Yifan waved to Yixing and the latter felt nausea.

“Don’t ing call me Xiao XingXing!” Yixing yelled.

As Yixing walked out the school, Yifan just laughed.

 

-

 

The next day, Yixing didn’t find Yifan in the classroom. Kinda strange because Yifan would always come first to the classroom before him and do something that only involved himself alone, whether it’s reading books or listening to music through his earphone. Also, it was his bad luck to have his seat only a meter away from Yifan’s. Why? Because whenever Yifan was bored, he would start insulting Yixing. But even after the class started, Yifan was still nowhere to find. Somehow, Yixing was happy because he didn’t need to hear those insults that day.

“Does anyone know where Wu Yifan is?” asked the teacher. Chanyeol raised his hand.

“He’s catching flu right now. He said he will give the letter tomorrow.”

Yixing’s ears are twitching after Chanyeol said ‘he’s catching flu’. Yixing thought it was because Yifan went home through the rain but didn’t Yifan say he had an extra umbrella? And when the recess’ bell rang, he approached his own shoes locker to find Yifan’s umbrella. He was planning to return it back to the owner but maybe the chance didn’t come that day. Should he go to his house? If only they were good buddies like they used to be, he would’ve done it. But time flew fast and they weren’t good buddies anymore.

Chanyeol and Kevin passed him and Yixing didn’t know why he could ask something unbelievable to them.

“Um… is Yifan really sick?”

The two members of The Tower Gang both widened their eyes just to see some teasing expression in Yixing’s face. It was surprising that Yixing actually asked about Yifan.

“Yeah, why?” Kevin answered.

“Did he run through the rain yesterday?” he asked again.

“Seriously? You’re asking about him as if you care,” Chanyeol remarked. His grin grew wider and Yixing had to frown seeing that. “I don’t know, I’m not his mother. Why don’t you ask him yourself?”

Yixing sighed. “I don’t have his phone number, Park Chanyeol.” Because he didn’t really care enough to save his enemy’s phone number. It was unnecessary.

“For your information, Zhang Yixing, you’re just too forgetful to remember that your best friend is actually Yifan’s ex. You can, I don’t know, ask him instead maybe? You know we won’t tell you easily like that, don’t you?” Kevin Shin said with the similar smirk like Yifan’s. It sickened Yixing to be honest, but he really knew what he would get when he asked those two about that. He wasn’t surprised to receive such a reply.

“Then can you maybe return this back to Yifan?” Yixing hesitantly asked as he took out the umbrella to Chanyeol and Kevin.

Yixing hated to hear mocking laughter from the two towers. “Wow man, I believe you still have those arms and legs. Besides, we still have basketball practice after school. So no, we can’t. Good luck on finding a way to give it back to your beloved enemy.”

Kevin’s words seemed to reach Yixing’s limit so the dimpled guy was back to his usual self towards them. He placed his hands on his sides and pressed his lips together into a thin line.

“Stop being to me, you retarded bastards.”

As Yixing left, Kevin and Chanyeol high-five-d with signature laughter and went straight to the cafeteria.

 

-

 

To Yixing’s surprise, Lu Han smiled differently when he asked him to return the umbrella back to Yifan. Lu Han shook his head and patted Yixing’s back.

“I’m sorry, Yixing. I can’t help you. I have a date after school.”

“Date? You?” Yixing raised an eyebrow. “With who?”

“Someone from another school. I’ll introduce him to you later. So now I’ll just give you Yifan’s address so you can pay a visit. I heard he’s sick?” and Yixing just shrugged. “Tell him to get well soon. Oh the bell is ringing, go back to your class or you’ll be grounded!”

For some reasons, Yixing wondered why he had to befriend Lu Han from the beginning, because Lu Han always chooses love over friendship. Just like when he dated Yifan.

 

-

 

“Lu Han, you need to help me. My parents are coming and Liyin jie is going on a date with her husband. The house is a real mess right now. Please, with cherry on top, help me clean the house?” Yixing furiously asked Lu Han on the phone.

Yixing could hear a hesitant sigh coming from Lu Han’s mouth. He had smelled the bad answer for it.

“I’m sorry, Yixing… I am gonna go on a date with Yifan. Um… maybe you can ask Taekwoon?”

“He’s having his detention for coming late to school yesterday so I only have you now, and please tell your boyfriend to cancel your date. I’m your friend, very best friend I must add, so please?”

“Yes Yixing, you’re indeed my best friend and that’s why you have to understand that this best friend of yours is going on a date with his boyfriend. I’m sorry, Yixing. Have a nice day.”

“Lu Han—LU! Wait! ,” Yixing looked at his screen to see that Lu Han had ended the call. “How will I have a nice day when my best friend chooses his boyfriend over me?!”

And to think that Lu Han’s boyfriend was his enemy, he was so mad that he almost broke his phone.

 

-

 

With a piece of paper which Lu Han had written Yifan’s address on it, Yixing walked towards Yifan’s house. Surprisingly it wasn’t that far from his house, only two blocks away. When he arrived at the giant’s house, he found it big but simple. None would think it was an expensive house. He had heard before that Yifan’s family was rich but educated enough, so Yixing thought that maybe Yifan’s parents invested their wealth on something else other than luxury house and all.

Speaking about family, Yixing also came from quite fine family. His parents got their PhD in the States for his father and Germany for his mother. Meanwhile his elder sister Liyin was a lecturer in a university. You know now where that brilliant brain of his came from. But if you see his house, you won’t find a big house like educated families always have. His house was just enough for a family consists of four members.

That’s why Yifan’s house kinda reminded him of his own house.

He knocked on the door. While waiting for someone to open it, Yixing prepared some words to say to Yifan. He didn’t want to look like he cared for the giant so it’s insult words he was preparing.

But those insults words somehow were only stuck in his throat when he saw Sehun opening the door. Sehun? Why would Sehun be there, in Yifan’s house?

“Senior Zhang? What are you doing here?” Sehun asked before Yixing had the chance to talk. He looked surprised as well.

Yixing tried to find  the right words to tell Sehun. “Um… I’m looking for Yifan. I thought he lives in this address but I guess Lu Han gave me the fake one…”

“No, no,” Sehun immediately cut off. “This is his house. Senior Lu gave you the right address.”

Yixing frowned. He looked at Sehun from head to toe. Sehun was wearing loose t-shirt and shorts, and Yixing could see slippers wrapping his feet. The first thing that came across Yixing’s mind was that Sehun… also lived there. If so, what was his relationship with Yifan? Were they lovers? Brothers? Or why did Yixing even care to think about that?

“Uhm… well then. I only need to turn this umbrella back to Yifan. I’m in a hurry so—”

“Would you like juice?” Sehun abruptly asked. “It’s hot outside. Maybe a glass of orange juice will cool you down. Yifan ge and I just made it.”

Yixing thought saying yes would be the worst choice so he declined the offer. “Maybe next time. I think… I think I’ll just leave.”

“Sehunnie what takes you so long?” a very familiar voice was heard. “Who is it—”

I’m so doomed was the only thing inside Yixing’s mind when he saw Yifan approaching him and Sehun, eyes lidded and sound of runny nose came from a tall guy named Wu Yifan. Yifan widened his eyes when his gaze met Yixing’s, as if he was seeing a ghost. They both fell silent for a while, making Sehun became so awkward standing between Yifan and Yixing because their gaze soon changed into death glare.

Yixing then initiated to hand Yifan his umbrella, as the ice-breaker between them.

“I come just to return this back to you. Also, Lu Han wishes you to get well soon,” Yixing said. When Yifan accepted the umbrella, Yixing took it as a cue to excuse himself. “I’ll just leave then.”

Sehun made a sound that made Yixing turned his head to the boy. “Will you stay for a big glass of orange juice?”

That kid was persistent. Of course. From the day Sehun sent him the love letter, Yixing knew that the junior had a sort of crush towards him. I mean, Yixing was only a tiny part of the student council and rarely came out when the orientation period was held. And Sehun’s love letter was the only one that arrived to him. And now he was there, offering orange juice to him. Thinking about drinking juice together with Sehun and Yifan made his stomach grumble. Hence he just threw a genuine smile to Sehun.

“Maybe next time, Sehunnie. I promise.”

Yixing continued to walk away from the two guys, and it was pity that he missed Yifan’s unreadable stare.

 

-

 

Zhang Yixing never thought that his promise to drink orange juice together with Sehun would be the day after he visited Yifan’s house. Sehun approached him at the cafeteria with two cold cups of orange juice. Lu Han who was having lunch together with Yixing threw a questioning look at his best friend but the latter just shrugged in perplexity. Yixing had never been treated by his ex-boyfriends like this, even Jung Taekwoon whom everyone said he was the best lover Yixing ever had, never made this kind of surprise. Oh well, did Jung Taekwoon even care to think that Yixing liked surprises?

Wait, scratch that.

How did Sehun manage to find out that Yixing liked surprises?

Oh, or maybe it was only a secret admirer’s instinct to do so.

“Thank you, Sehun,” Yixing bowed a bit to Sehun. He took one of the cold cups with ‘Lovely Adorable You’ written on it. He intentionally avoided Sehun’s smile by simply taking a sip of his juice. Well, the juice was too tasty to ignore, and Yixing was an honest person to begin with. He smiled dearly to Sehun. “It’s very good. Did you make it yourself?”

Sehun nodded enthusiastically. “I’m glad you like it!” then his smile reduced a bit. “I hope your compliment isn’t because you pity me, though.”

“No!” Yixing immediately cut off. “No, I really mean it. Your juice is really delicious. You should drink it too and prove my words yourself. I notice that you added milk and honey into this juice, and those ingredients make this even more special. Thanks a lot, Sehun.”

Lu Han tried so hard not to snort but Yixing was too clever so he nudged his best friend’s leg to prevent him from doing so.

“So do you think it’s a good idea to add milk and honey into juice?” Sehun asked.

“Yes. And honestly speaking, I always add those ingredients into my juice.”

Lu Han hummed Roxette’s old song softly like milk and toast and honey, make it sunny on a rainy Saturday, hey hey hey~ and Yixing wished that Sehun would never hear the teasing tone in the humming.

Sehun smiled widely like a megawatt lamp. “It’s really me who made the juice, but Yifan ge helped me by giving the idea about adding milk and honey. I should thank him later,” he told, looking over his shoulder to find Yifan there, sitting with his gang and eyes never left Sehun and Yixing. Lu Han was certain that Yifan didn’t look at him.

Hearing what Sehun said, Yixing then locked his gaze into Yifan’s. For the first time, Yixing saw that unreadable stare of him. He had seen that expression—to be honest, he once had that stare when Liyin introduced her boyfriend who now became her husband. A protective stare, urge to not letting Liyin’s boyfriend hurt her, also jealousy because he loved his sister so much that he didn’t want her to get married soon—

Ahem, jealousy? No, no way in hell that Yifan would feel jealous. He must be screaming at Yixing mentally not to hurt Sehun. While Yixing himself didn’t know what was between Yifan and Sehun.

When Sehun finally excused himself to join Yifan and The Gang, Yixing encouraged himself to ask Lu Han about that.

“Oh Yixing, does your hatred towards Yifan make you blind and deaf?” Lu Han frowned. “Sehun is Yifan’s cousin. He lives with Yifan’s family because he goes to the same school with Yifan while his own house is far away from town. I had met him before when he was still in middle school and I had also heard that he wanted to enroll here. And he made it.”

Yixing nodded understandingly. “It’s still really unbelievable to find that they’re cousins. Their personalities are really far different. When Yifan is the complete jerk to me, there is Sehun who treats me very nice like I’m the crown prince or something…”

“Or you’re just too blind to see what’s beyond that,” Lu Han finished with unknowing smile, leaving Yixing frowning.

 

-

 

Yixing excused himself to the washroom when biology teacher was explaining some s Yixing had learned the night before. He was kinda sleepy so he needed some fresh water to splash his face and most importantly, his eyes. He studied for today’s subjects until late night because he now was in senior year, and about to graduate soon. Also, it had become his new habit from now on.

He flinched when he heard the door was harshly opened. He turned around only to find Yifan, anger was clearly drawn in his eyes. He threw the same death glare as he closed the door again. Yixing was about to confront but his words were gone right when Yifan pulled him by the collar. Yixing might be shorter and tinier than Yifan but he had this same energy as Yifan’s so when the giant gripped his collar strongly, Yixing tried to push Yifan away.

“What’s your problem you ?!” Yixing spat.

Yifan didn’t answer right away. He glared at Yixing whose face was just a few inches away from his. Yixing did the same; he didn’t want to look weak moreover in front of his enemy.

“Let me go!” Yixing almost screamed.

And Yifan did. Yixing pushed Yifan angrily but they never broke their connected glare.

“You need to see doctor to find out that you’re out of your mind,” the dimpled guy hissed, “although you have been out of your mind since forever.”

Then Yixing left Yifan alone in the washroom, opted not to give any single about the loud bang after he closed the door.

 

-

 

Weeks passed—or months?—and everyone in the school, including teachers and even janitors, were relieved because they never heard some bickering from Yifan and Yixing anymore. Not because they had been friends again, but it was more like a war in silence ever since they came back from the washroom that day. Even Chanyeol and Kevin didn’t know what happened between the two enemies, and neither did Lu Han. Although many people wondering about it, the ones who were close to them chose not to bother.

Meanwhile, Sehun was really on fire. He was eager to get closer to Yixing. On the other hand, Yixing was still unsure whether to accept Sehun or not. After all, Sehun was still Yifan’s cousin and he thought the giant had made it clear that he better off. Actually, if Sehun wasn’t Yifan’s cousin and if only Yifan wasn’t his enemy, he would have considered him long ago because Sehun was really nice to him. He knew that so many people were after him but Sehun was the bravest among them all. He directly showed his affection and attention rather than sending him love letters to Yixing’s shoes locker like the others did. Somehow, Yixing liked this aggressive side of Sehun because it felt different—he didn’t rush, but with the small acts he could steal Yixing’s attention. He was cute, too. Yixing would like to date a cute guy since his ex-boyfriends were all mature-looking. Jung Taekwoon, the school's president Kim Junmyeon, the captain of dance club Kim Jongin (they use to date in middle school and broke up when Yixing enrolled to the high school. Jongin followed after but they decided to remain as friends), and though he didn’t date the smartass Kim Jongdae, also his junior, Yixing still thought that Jongdae was the best he never had. That’s why he felt so brand new when the cute Sehunnie tried to win his heart.

It was just his cousin who made him think again about it.

Whenever Sehun approached Yixing and Yifan—unfortunately—was there as well, Yifan would throw glares to those two. Of course it made Yixing feel uncomfortable. He felt like using Sehun as a toy when he wasn’t. He didn’t really get why Yifan was too overprotective towards Sehun. Sehun wasn’t five, seriously! Yixing was sure that Sehun could choose what’s best for him, so there’s no need to watch the junior like you would lose your life if he dated someone, he wanted to scream right into Yifan’s face.

That day was the day for the previous student council squad to give the throne to the new generation. Kim Jongdae was enthroned the president position replacing Kim Junmyeon. The important part was that Sehun was one of the new squad. Coincidentally or not, Yixing was obliged to give the badge to him and Sehun would give him a bucket of flower. When they faced each other, the junior suddenly hugged Yixing that made the dimpled guy startled.

“S-Sehun…” truthfully, Yixing wasn’t really comfortable with Sehun’s action because hell-o, it was in ing public! Headmaster was even watching!

“You are now going to focus on your study to reach whichever university you want to enroll to, so I wish you good luck and I hope you will take a good care of yourself. Stay healthy, will you?” Sehun said right to Yixing’s ear and it sent him shivers.

Yixing only nodded while he accidentally caught Yifan’s intense glare, making him feel the urge to just ‘disapparate’ to somewhere only he knew.

After the ‘enthronement’ was over, Yixing headed to his shoes locker only to find many letters addressed to him. They all were from his secret admirers; most of them wishing him luck and health like Sehun did few minutes ago. Yixing felt touched. He never knew that actually many people were paying attention to him and he was grateful to have them. Inwardly, he wished everyone who sent the letters to get the right person for them, go on a proper date, and all. Yes, Yixing was just really kind-hearted like that.

One of the letters wasn’t really a letter. It was a photo which Yixing assumed from the same person who sent him photos before. Now it was photo of him reading a book with earphones were placed in both of his ears. Yixing remembered the scene. It was him in freshmen year, spending the recess time to study instead of going to cafeteria. He used to bring his own lunch the whole year and when he became the second grader student, he started to pay visit to cafeteria more often.

Behind the photo, the typed letter was written on it.

You’ve stepped down from your position in student council and now you’ll be facing the awaiting gate of your future. I hope you’re still as enthusiastic as when you just enrolled this high school.

Good luck, my star.

Yixing smiled contently reading it before being scooted forward by a sudden bump that made the letters on his hands were tossed aside. Good thing that he didn’t fall so he could immediately turn around to see who it was.

“You better watch what’s around you, stupid,” Wu Yifan casually said as he unlocked his own locker that was placed only two meters away from Yixing’s.

The dimpled guy scoffed. “You better watch your step, imbecile.”

“Such an offending insult I see,” Yifan remarked. “I hope you know that some qualifications are needed to categorizing imbeciles and I believe my IQ is high enough for you to call me imbecile.”

Yixing threw his hands in the air, feeling so frustrated. He was more than done with Yifan. “What do you want, Yifan?”

Yifan locked his locker again to face Yixing properly with the same glare. Yixing thought he would never plan to let go of that glare whenever he’s around.

“Simple, very simple,” Yifan said. “Don’t get any closer to Sehun more than this. I’m sick of you throwing yourself onto Sehun everyday like your life depends on him.”

“I don’t wanna hurt him either! I know he’s your precious cousin and I swear I won’t hurt him, if that’s what you want. I’ll make some distance between us so you won’t feel nausea seeing us. I’m sorry for not immediately saying no to him, but I’m just perplexed about how to say no properly without hurting him. I don’t want to be a jerk like you.”

Yifan snorted. “Of course you won’t understand. This is really stupid of me to expect that you will be at least notice some sign.”

Yixing frowned. “Which part do I not understand? I’ll ing get away from him, alright?”

The giant shook his head in frustration. “Forget that.”

With that, he left Yixing frowning even more.

 

-

 

For the nth time, rain fell. And for the nth time as well, Yixing forgot to bring his umbrella. He looked outside with heavy sigh. He was thinking to stay at the library after the class ended and maybe that was the best idea. But when he checked his locker, he found an umbrella, purple colored, and a photo of him watching the rain through the library’s window was attached with it. And as expected, there was a typed letter behind it.

Please accept my little gift for you.

It might be fun watching you watch over the pouring rain through the window, but rather than waiting for the rain to stop, it will be better if you fight the rain, together with this umbrella.

I mean, I hope you can fight for your goals although many things blocking your way rather than waiting for everything to settle by itself. But don’t worry, I’ll always shield you from any disturbances.

Take care of yourself on your way home, my star.

The weather was surely cold but Yixing didn’t even know why he felt warm inside after reading the letter. Whoever the sender was, he felt thankful and wished them happiness. He put on his jacket and made sure it was warm enough for him to fight the rain under the umbrella.

 

-

 

A week after that, Sehun asked Yixing to see him at the library after school. He wanted to ask about how to write official letters. Yixing was the secretary of the student council so of course he knew. When he came to the library, Sehun had been there, waiting for Yixing. He was doing something with his laptop, maybe playing games. He smiled when Yixing nudged his cheek.

“Senior Zhang,” he greeted as Yixing took a seat beside his. “I’m sorry to bother you but I really need your help.”

“I know I know, leave it to me. So, let’s start?” Yixing suggested.

Soon, they were busy with their small discussion. Yixing taught Sehun to write official letters and Sehun paid attention to his senior. Both his explanation and his face. After all, Sehun was a clever student (whom later Yixing found out he also joined acceleration program in the middle school) so he could easily absorbed Yixing’s words although he divided his attention to two things.

Then Sehun excused himself to the toilet, leaving Yixing with the laptop. Feeling bored, Yixing decided to play games—or maybe, watching folders of pictures would be fun. So, he began clicking the folders he assumed where the pictures were kept. He found so many folders in Local Disk D, and they were arranged by date. The oldest folder was created almost three years ago. He wondered what a middle school student did with a laptop.

Yixing almost choked on his saliva when the folder was opened.

Scanning the folder’s content, he jumped to another folder. And another one. Again.

All the folders’ contents were the photos of him.

Him, Zhang Yixing.

And the photos were somehow familiar… wait…

Wait a minute…

Yixing gasped.

They were the photos he got from his shoes locker. Undoubtedly, they were.

So it was Sehun? But wait, the folder was created almost three years ago. Sehun was still in the middle school, so there’s no way Sehun had known Yixing back then. Then who? Who was the one that always sent his photos and wrote him typed letters?

When Sehun came back from the toilet, Yixing furiously stood up and abruptly asked, “Sehunnie, whose laptop is it?”

Sehun, being suddenly asked like that, raised his eyebrows. “It’s… Yifan ge’s laptop. I borrowed it from him because I haven’t bought my own—Senior Zhang?”

Right after Sehun mentioned Yifan’s name, Yixing gripped his backpack and left the library. Even Sehun didn’t have any time to stop Yixing from leaving.

Yifan???

 

-

 

Since that day, Yixing kept his eyes on Yifan. He tried so hard not to be so visible in spying that giant. He even spent the whole month to spy on him, and after that he realized that Yifan liked to excuse himself to the washroom whenever the class was still on. Not every day, but at least once a week. Or twice. And the day Yixing noticed that Yifan went to the washroom, he was sure he would find another photo inside his locker. And he just kept it a secret because every time he wanted to tell Yifan that he knew, Yifan would always insult him before he even got the chance to say a single word.

Seriously, Yixing didn’t understand Yifan’s way of thinking. His big question was if Yifan really loves me and calls me his star, then what’s his reason to keep being an enemy to me for almost three years? And sure, none could answer it.

Suddenly, Yixing felt really bad for Lu Han. The best friend of his was his enemy-slash-secret admirer’s ex-boyfriend. If Yifan had been doing this for almost three years, which meant that Yifan-Lu Han’s dating period was included, then at the same time, Yifan loved two persons?

Ouch. He always thought that Yifan was the complete jerk, now it changed.

So when the time came, he bravely asked Lu Han about that. They were having lunch at the cafeteria and Yixing thought Lu Han would be fine if he talked about that. Moreover, Lu Han had told him that he was dating someone from another high school named Kim Minseok.

“Lu Han,” Yixing called. “Um… may I ask something? If you feel offended with my question you have the choice to ignore it, though.”

Lu Han was still munching his snack so he just nodded as if telling Yixing to go on.

Yixing bit his lower lip before continuing, “When you were still with Yifan… were… were you guys alright? I mean, was your relationship fine without any problems?”

His best friend stopped munching for a while just to stare at Yixing.

“Again, if you feel offended you can ignore my question—”

“Why are you asking, may I know?” Lu Han cut off.

Yixing let out his shaky breath that didn’t go unnoticed by Lu Han. He smiled, putting his snack down on the table and leaned his chin on his palm and be ready to listen to Yixing’s explanation. Lu Han’s smile was somehow teasing and Yixing gulped. He wasn’t ready for this.

“You know… err… when I was with Taekwoon, he had this sort of crush on Hongbin. I knew he liked Hongbin but I was too selfish to let them unite, though in the end we broke up. I mean, although I knew that Taekwoon had a crush on Hongbin when we were together, we were okay and nothing went wrong between us. So… I wonder if your relationship with Yifan was also like that or maybe you have another story about that?”

At first, Lu Han stayed quiet but then he laughed loudly. Yixing was glad that the cafeteria was crowded so they wouldn’t be too bothered with Lu Han’s ridiculous laughter. By ridiculous he meant opening his mouth widely that Yixing was afraid if Lu Han’s jaw might break.

“I have been waiting for this day, Yixing. You would never believe me, even. But please believe me when I tell you I knew it would be happening. And it is!” he said happily while squeezing Yixing’s cheeks.

“You have predicted that the reason of my break-up with Taekwoon is Hongbin or?” Yixing asked for confirmation.

Lu Han flicked Yixing’s forehead. “Moron, I mean I knew you will finally realize something in Yifan!”

A pause. “What do you mean…?”

Lu Han needed a moment to control himself after laughing out loud and when he finally regained consciousness he started talking. “This is why I told you the other day that you’re too blind and deaf to see beyond everything you’ve seen. You’re very clever I admit but completely dumb when it comes to this matter. Yixing, my bunny, Yifan was a good boyfriend but he definitely not the best one because he had a major crush on a certain someone when he had me as his boyfriend. I knew about it since day one I met him so it was somehow bearable to date him. Not that he didn’t take care of me greatly, in fact he did, but as a person who once loved him of course I knew. He still loves this person until now. It’s just very pity that the person is really dumb to realize.”

Yixing’s brilliant brain now had a hard time to digest everything Lu Han said. He stared at Lu Han with the blank stare as if telling Lu Han that he didn’t really get what he said.

“Seriously Yixing? You’re still clueless about this?” Lu Han slapped his own forehead. “Alright, I think it’s useless to play code with you. I can only tell you the whole big problem but if you wanna seek the details please just ask Yifan and have  a heart-to-heart talk with him, okay? He actually loves you, has been in love with you since you guys were in middle school.”

The dimpled guy blinked. “What?”

“No re-run show, mate,” Lu Han scoffed.

“Wait, Yifan loves me? He has been in love with me since middle school? But he’s been always cruel to me!” Yixing complained.

“About that, actually… only Yifan can explain. Why don’t you arrange some confrontation and settle the right time to have a heart-to-heart talk with him?”

Yixing bit his lower lip. Talking to Yifan was something he never thought to happen. All they did to each other was just bickering and insulting, sometimes making noise in classroom or cafeteria or maybe corridor. Yixing needed the truth and clear explanation but it was only Yifan who could give him that, so the question is can they really talk?

And Lu Han, wow, as Yifan’s ex-boyfriend he was really casual in telling Yixing that Yifan was actually in love with the dimpled guy. Maybe he really had moved on.

“Lu, were you okay?” Yixing asked. “I mean… you knew he’s in love with me yet you still accepted him as your boyfriend. If I were you, I would have punched and slapped you. I would have been really angry. But you’re still here, having a lunch with me, still saying that I’m your best friend. You know, I feel like I’m the jerk… I don’t know if I have the right to ask you an apology, but I don’t wanna lose my best friend as well…”

Lu Han smiled before gathering Yixing in his embrace. They stayed like that for five seconds and Lu Han eventually let go of Yixing. Still wearing that smile, Lu Han poked Yixing’s deep hole on his right cheek.

“Of course at times I felt like punching you in the face for two reasons; the first one is because Yifan is still in love with you and the last one is because you’re really, really dumb to read the signs. If you want to know, even a blind man can see the affection behind Yifan’s death glare towards you. A deaf man can hear the caring tone behind his insults. But you, with your brilliant brain, you don’t even know. Now that you know, I hope you can talk to Yifan about that. I believe Kevin and Chanyeol are bored to death too watching you and Yifan being eternal enemies. Don’t be too late.”

Yixing stared at Lu Han with regret and guilt. He blamed himself for being so blunt. He took a mental note to consume supplement for brain everyday from that time on.

“Actually Lu Han, you can slap me now, for everything I’ve done to you. Don’t punch me because my family would have an idea about me being rebel in school—”

SLAP!

Before Yixing could finish his sentence, Lu Han had slapped him on his cheek. It hurt, but he deserved to get that. All the attention was aimed to those best buddies after hearing the loud slap.

But later, Lu Han and Yixing laughed together because they knew they were still okay, they will always be okay. You know bros before hoes, don’t you?

 

-

 

Graduation day finally came. Jongdae, as the student’s president, represented the juniors to give the farewell speech. That day, the headmaster also announced that Yixing got the first rank, Yifan got the second (but their scores’ gap was as thin as string) and Lu Han got the third. Yixing stared at Yifan just to find that the latter was also watching him. Thinking about Yifan’s crush on him made Yixing looked away and blushed. Crap, that was the first time he blushed because of Yifan.

He headed to his locker when the graduation was over. As usual, he found letters that wishing him to enroll to his dream university, wishing him health, also saying that they would be really sad when Yixing final left the high school.

He also found a bird origami. His instinct was to open it because he thought he would find a letter inside. And he wasn’t wrong.

A typed letter said:

Fly.

Open up the part of you that wants to hide away.

You can shine!

Forget about the reasons why you can’t in life and start to try.

‘Cause it’s your time to fly.

Yixing chuckled because the sender—that he highly assumed it was Yifan—actually sent him Hilary Duff’s song. He never knew that Yifan could be so cheesy. To be honest, it was cute. I mean, the tall, snarky, intimidating Wu Yifan had this unexpected side. Yixing couldn’t help but to think that it was really cute.

“Senior Zhang,” a voice broke his train of thoughts. Yixing turned around to see the smiling Sehun. “Congratulations on your graduation and also the first rank you got.”

Yixing smiled. “Thanks, Sehun.”

“Actually, I have something to tell you. Will you hear me out?”

The best graduate nodded.

“Maybe you already know that I’ve been trying so hard to get closer to you, because the way I flirt is really obvious. Also, maybe you also know it already that I like you. And yes, I really like you that I want to make you mine,” he said, “but…”

“But…?”

“But then I found someone in my student council squad very nice… and I feel so comfortable around him. He has this intimidating look like Yifan ge’s, but actually he’s very cute,” Sehun smiled shyly. “I don’t know if you were expecting me to confess to you and if you were then I’m sorry that I think maybe we could only be good friends. I know it’s my fault to have two crushes at the same time but I’m still young and reckless. I also saw no sign of you to accept my love since the beginning, maybe you still want to be alone or you’re actually waiting for someone. Or maybe you found me not in your standard…”

Yixing blinked when Sehun was saying the two last sentences. That wasn’t true; come on, Yixing actually was about to consider him once… but realizing that Sehun is Yifan’s cousin…

“So Senior Zhang, I’ll try to stop loving you and I wish you happiness with someone you’ve been waiting for. Oh and,” Sehun mumbled, “I hope you can consider my cousin, too.”

Yixing’s blush was too red to hear Sehun’s laughter and when he came back to his sense he saw Sehun walking hand in hand with a tall boy. He was holding a wushu stick. Yixing smiled after realizing that the tall boy was Huang Zitao, captain of the wushu club.

He wished nothing but the best for the new couple.

 

-

 

The prom night was held two days after the graduation day, in a hotel. The previous student council squad was the event organizer for the prom night, so it included Yixing as well. They understood that not all of the graduates had lovers (which is a sad fact) so they made the prom night couple-free. The rules clearly stated that if they really wanted to come with their couple, then they could only bring along their couples from the same school and same year (if they had though), otherwise, they wouldn’t be allowed to come. So, the event was really about their high school.

Yixing wandered around and just enjoyed the prom by himself. He wasn’t that type to attend parties so while everyone was enjoying the loud music, he inwardly slipped his earphones into his ears and sneaked his way out of the ball room.

He made his way towards the yard and he was surprised to see Wu Yifan stood by the pool, which was near the yard. He was wearing grey suit, grey trousers and black shirt. His hair was short and black and really nice, Yixing must admit. Yixing wanted to just walk towards the yard but something stopped him from doing so. He realized that it was the last chance for him to have a talk with Yifan, but he couldn’t move from his spot.

Only when Yifan noticed his presence, Yixing flashed out his smile. Yifan stared at Yixing as the latter came closer to stand beside him. They stayed in silence for a few minutes but Yixing could feel that Yifan’s stare never broke even once.

“Not a party animal I see,” Yixing awkwardly broke the ice.

Yifan hummed. “You too.”

Again, they didn’t speak for minutes. Yixing was hesitant whether to ask Yifan about those photos and letters. If he didn’t then when would the chance come again? If he did then what would Yifan say?

“Yifan… um… I… want to talk about… the photos,” Yixing found himself saying.

Yifan sharpened his gaze at Yixing.

“I mean… if you weren’t the one who slipped them into my shoes locker then I’ll just go—”

“Finally you realize it,” Yifan said, cutting Yixing’s words off. “Yes, I’m the one who has been slipping them since our freshmen year.”

Yixing didn’t expect Yifan to admit that easily. And, ‘finally you realize it’? Was he that dull?

“Do you find it creepy? I’m your number one enemy, aren’t I?”

For the first time in his life, Yixing heard the softness in Yifan’s voice. He was used to hear his yelling and now he talked to him in a very soft tone. His voice was actually deep so it sounded so manly yet gentle in his ears (he had taken off his earphones). Yixing was glad to get this chance and he really hoped that the precious moment wouldn’t end so soon.

“Honestly speaking, I like your supportive messages,” Yixing answered with smile. “Whenever I’m down I like to re-read the letters you gave me behind those photos. They never fail to encourage and cheer me up so I can immediately stand on my feet again. And I thank you, by all means, thank you very much for always taking care of me from afar… yet so close,” he chuckled a bit. “Also, I’m sorry to realize it so late because you know… your behavior towards me is just…”

Yifan laughed and Yixing just realized that he fell in love with the giant’s laughter. It sounded better than his, to be honest. Another reason was that he finally could see the sincere laughter from Yifan. He really liked it.

“Do you want to know why I act harsh to you all this time?” Yifan offered.

“Sure. I want to know whether it’s your problem or mine.”

“Most likely it’s yours,” Yifan smiled—and Yixing fell in love with his gummy smile too. “I believe you remember that we used to be good friends although we weren’t that close like you and Lu Han, right? Yeah, but then you were so engrossed with your study as a student from acceleration program. You started to abandon me and at first I thought it was because acceleration program really took the most of your time, but then you dated Kim Jongin. I was really mad, too mad to realize that I was actually jealous. I thought I was mad because you abandoned me as friend but you could date someone else, but actually I was mad because Jongin could date you. Then I realized that I started liking you. I tried to find the way to steal your attention by studying hard, and somehow I made it. You started to get annoyed with my presence as the first rank in the middle school, but it wasn’t really enough to get you talking to me. So yeah, I thought… by insulting you… you could talk to me.”

Yixing snorted. “You did it. I talked to you again in different way.”

“At least I got your attention.”

“What a freak…?” Yixing frowned. “The attention I gave you was hate!”

Yifan shook his head. “It doesn’t matter what kind of attention you give me; you paid attention to me in the end and that was enough. But soon after that we were too engrossed with this enemies-relationship we have so I also had hard times to end it. Even after we enrolled to the high school we still mocked each other and honestly, I enjoy it every time you get mad at me. Your face is always fun to watch. I tried so hard not to chuckle, for your information.”

Yixing really started to think that Yifan was freak.

“And because my crush on you developed into something people usually call ‘love’, and there was no way for me to confess to you regarding our bad relationship, I got the idea to send you letters at first but I didn’t know whether it would work since you always got your secret admirer’s letters. So I thought about making my letters to you more special, that’s why I ended up sending you your photos with typed letters behind them so you won’t recognize whose letters they were. You can say I inwardly take care of you through the letters while I could continue to being your number one enemy everyday.”

The shorter guy let out a small chuckle. “Bastard,” he mumbled softly.

Yifan grinned. “I know.”

“But still you’re a coward for only sending me letters. If only you were brave enough to get closer to me…”

“I’m not Sehun who recklessly made his way to get closer to you,” Yifan said. “I admit I was jealous with his courage to get you. I was really afraid that you might accept him as your boyfriend, that’s why I…”

Yixing raised an eyebrow. “You what?”

Yifan scratched his own nape as if what he was gonna say would make Yixing angry. “I introduced Huang Zitao to him. I’m glad it works.”

The shorter male choked on his saliva. “WHAT? YOU BASTARD! SO THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS JUST SCENARIO???”

“At first yes but after Tao met him for the first time he had this… love at the first sight? Wait, you didn’t consider Sehun to be your boyfriend did you?”

“No but—” Yixing sighed heavily. “WU YIFAN THAT’S NOT COOL OKAY THAT’S CHEATING! IF YOU’RE REALLY A MAN THEN COMPETE FAIRLY!”

Yifan looked down like a child just got scolded by his mother for his mistakes. “I… I’m sorry.”

Yixing slapped Yifan’s forearm in exasperation. “Seriously, you… Do you know that you hurt Lu Han too?”

The taller guy nodded hesitantly.

“How are you gonna explain about that to me?” Yixing challenged. “Lu Han is my best friend and if anyone dares to hurt him, I swear they won’t be able to escape from me and my unbeatable punch.”

Yifan still looked at his feet. After five minutes of waiting, finally Yixing heard his voice again.

“I know it was my fault,” Yifan started. “You started dating Jung Taekwoon and it hurt me as well. I thought after you broke up with Junmyeon you would stop dating to focus on your finals preparation but I was wrong. That time Lu Han was sending positive signal to me and because I saw no hopes in you, I accepted Lu Han’s signal and you know we dated after that. But I just couldn’t stop thinking about you… maybe that was when Lu Han found it a cue for him to break up with me. Also, the fact that Taekwoon left you for Hongbin made me angry but if I confronted to Taekwoon about it, he would be curious, don’t you think?”

Yixing shook his head furiously. “No, you’re wrong. I’m the one who left Taekwoon. I knew he liked Hongbin for God knows how long. So rather than being selfish, I just let them to unite. Just like Lu Han did to you. I guess.”

Yifan eventually smiled. “Hongbin accepted Taekwoon, so will you accept me too?”

For the nth time, Yixing snorted. “I kinda miss the cocky bastard Wu Yifan who always fights with me over something stupid and silly, not this cheesy one.”

Yifan laughed out loud while Yixing had his time thinking what’s so funny with his words. He was glad that none was around so Yifan’s ridiculous laughter wouldn’t be heard.

“Then do you love me, Yixing?”

Yifan’s question caught him off guard. He stared at Yifan for a few seconds before engaged his sight to the pool. Love? Of course he had experienced in loving someone, but loving an enemy was never in his mind even for a second. He thought about others’ reaction when they know he dated his enemy—did he say ‘when’? Oh God, he must be crazy.

“I don’t know… this is still new to me. I mean I used to see you as my enemy in school and now you confess to me… it’s not easy to change the hate into love, okay?”

“Then how about this?”

Suddenly, Yixing felt two strong grips around his shoulder and before he knew it, a pair of soft substance crashed his moist lips. That was the first time his brain worked so slowly, and only when the pair of soft substance released themselves, he realized that they were Yifan’s lips.

“What…”

“I hope the kiss helps you to think, and I hope I could get a positive answer tomorrow morning. You have less than twelve hours to answer me,” Yifan said.

Yixing didn’t understand. “Why tomorrow? What’s so special about tomorrow? I can’t think that fast!”

Yifan smiled weakly while he caressed Yixing’s cheek, which Yixing found it so nice and comfortable.

“Tomorrow morning I’m going to Canada to continue my study there,” he said.

The younger male blinked. “Canada…?”

The giant nodded. “If you come to the airport tomorrow and tell me to stay, I’ll stay. If you don’t, then I’ll leave right away. The choice is yours. As much as I want you to ask me not to leave, I can’t and I won’t force you to do that.”

Yixing bit his lower lip and Yifan chuckled seeing that.

“I hope you realize that you have that habit to bit your lower lip whenever you think really hard of something,” he said, poking Yixing’s lower lips.

Yixing scoffed. “Don’t tease me,” he retorted. “I… I’ll just go home.”

“I’ll take you home, then. I’m bringing my dad’s car.”

“No, you don’t need to—” and suddenly, a sound of thunder greeted their ears. “—I guess you need to.”

Yifan smiled. Actually a sincere smile which Yixing forgot. He once saw that when they were in middle school, and since it had been almost five years he kinda forgot that. Usually Yifan threw smirk on him and he was used to that. But now, although Yifan looked funny with that gummy smile, he thought that maybe he liked it. Probably. Even when the tall guy took him by the hand to the car, when they headed to Yixing’s house, he never let go of that smile. Yixing wondered if his cheeks hurt.

And to think that Yifan was leaving made his heart ache. He didn’t even know what magic Yifan had spelled on him so he liked the idea of Yifan staying. But Yifan said that he was leaving for Canada to continue his study there, didn’t he?

Seriously, it was much easier to reject an acceleration program that was offered to him than to decide whether to let Yifan go… or stay.

“Have a nice dream and sleep tight,” Yifan said when they had arrived in front of Yixing’s house. Because the rain began to fall, Yifan walked Yixing to the front door of his house with the familiar umbrella.

“Do you really think I’ll have nice dream and tight sleep after you gave me choices?” Yixing retorted. “Well, you too.”

Yifan smiled. “Good night.”

“Good night.”

(Yixing kinda hoped that Yifan would grip his wrist to stop him and just kiss him but that didn’t happen.)

 

-

 

In fact, Yixing couldn’t sleep and he believed anyone else who was given hard choices wouldn’t be able to sleep well. He rolled here and there only to get his heartbeat to increase. He constantly looked at the clock and his stomach crumbled. The fact that Yifan might or might not leave made him uneasy. And it’s funny to think that he suddenly thought about Yifan.

He took out the box inside his closet and he opened it when he was back to his bed. It was the box where he kept the letters from his secret admirers, including Yifan’s. He kinda regretted why he didn’t place Yifan’s photo-letters in separate box but he surely placed them on the side so it was still easy for him to take them out from the box.

Yixing smiled as he looked at those photos again. When he said that the letters could encourage and cheer him up, he wasn’t lying. At times he felt so down, like when he got bad score (Yifan used it as jokes and they fought again afterwards) or when his parents were against Yixing’s idea to enroll into an art college, but then a photo-letter eased the pains and worries away. Rather than saying about how much Yifan admired him, the giant opted to encourage him to do something for his own good. Still remember when he gave the umbrella? He wasn’t only giving an umbrella to shield Yixing from the rain; he also encouraged him to fight for his sake although so many things blocking his way to get his goal. And don’t forget that Yifan said he would always shield Yixing from any disturbances. That time when he hadn’t known it was Yifan, he thought about how the sender would do that to him but now he wondered how Yifan would do that if he really left.

Somehow, he had decided but he wasn’t so sure it would be the best choice.

Yixing took out Yifan’s last letter, the bird origami one, from his purple backpack and re-read the typed letter again and again to make sure that his decision wouldn’t him up in the future.

He closed his eyes and let out his breath. He was ready to give Yifan his answer and smiled brightly in his sleep.

 

-

 

Yifan still stood by the entrance gate, spreading his gaze around to see if Yixing had come. His flight would be really soon and he started to think that maybe Yixing’s answer was a no. But he’s not Wu Yifan if he immediately gives up.

His parents were already in their offices while Sehun was on a trip with his student council squad, so only Chanyeol and Kevin were there for him. They had been told about the choices he gave to Yixing and they wanted to see if Yixing came or not.

“He’s not coming, buddy,” Kevin said in English. “Maybe it’s his answer: no.”

“Saying no is actually better than oversleeping…”

Yifan and Kevin stared at Chanyeol while the latter gave them a ‘what, did I say something wrong?’ but actually Yifan thought it was most logic probability. He still had this confidence with Yixing’s answer. He was almost sure that Yixing would come and tell him to stay.

His deduction was getting stronger after he saw Yixing walking towards him.

And he was ready to stay.

“No,” Yixing pushed Yifan slightly by the chest when the latter was about to welcome Yixing in his embrace. He stared at Yifan who also stared back at him, and eventually he smiled. “I come here to tell you my answer. I have to tell you directly or I’ll regret it. Promise me to hear me out, carefully?”

Yifan was hesitant at first but in the end he nodded.

Yixing inhaled a big amount of air before talking.

“You said that you’ll stay if I come here and will leave if I don’t, right,” he said and he got a nod from Yifan as the answer. “Yifan, you have to know that I have no right to tell you whether to stay or leave, and I also have no right to block your way towards your dreams. If going to Canada is the best for you, then go for it! Find what you’ve been looking for and grow up well. I’ll always wait for you to come back here.”

“But Yixing… it will take years for me to come back again,” Yifan complained.

Yixing shook his head; smile didn’t leave his lips. He took Yifan’s hand and intertwined with his. He stared at Yifan dreamily and Yifan fell in love again. Yixing was still the same with the one he remembered since in middle school. The one who made him fall in love for the first time.

“I know, and you still have a plenty of time to ensure yourself whether it’s really me you ever wanted. Same with me, too. Take it as a marathon competition where you have to run so far, and when you almost arrive at the finish, there will be me who smiles at you. If we trust each other, we will really reach the finish together. For now, you’ve already got me. We might be in long distance relationship after this but we live in 21th century, don’t we?” Yixing said with that wide smile, exhibiting his deep dimple on his right cheek.

The smile Yixing flashed affected Yifan. He smiled weakly while caressing Yixing’s cheek.

“I understand,” he said with nod.

“Good,” Yixing rubbed Yifan’s hand with his thumb. “I believe your flight will take off soon, now hurry!”

Yifan gathered Yixing in his embrace and he could inhale the creamy scent from the younger male. He had never held Yixing this close so he just found out that the one he loved actually had that addictive creamy scent. He wondered what soap Yixing usually used, or how many times in a day Yixing usually bathed. His hair’s scent was like apple shampoo and Yifan found it cute that a guy used apple shampoo. Or he found it cute because it was Yixing. If it was another person, he might or might not think the same.

Ah, it didn’t matter at all. All that mattered was that his love wasn’t an unrequited one.

Yifan kissed Yixing’s forehead for ten seconds (Yixing counted it) before letting go and ruffling the dimpled guy’s jet black hair. He really loved his hair because it looked good on him.

“Good luck, Yifan. I love you.”

Oh how Yifan wanted to tear up hearing those three sacred words from Yixing’s moist lips. He pecked Yixing’s corner of the lips and whispered softly, “I love you more than I should.”

“Oh my God, can you guys not abandon us…” a deep voice coming from Chanyeol broke the romantic scene between Yifan and Yixing. “I kinda miss the moment where you guys always fight and shout to each other…”

“Yeah I think them fighting is better than being all disgustingly lovey-dovey like this, eww,” Kevin added.

Yifan and Yixing blushed but eventually they laughed.

 


 

a/n: 12k of i know and i thank you if you finally arrive to this a/n.

anyway, talk to me? >> http://ask.fm/chenpai