Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Legends say that stars are heavenly beings that watch over humans. We used to go down the Earth and interact with humans. We give humans blessings and knowledge. But as time pass by, humans started to become greedy and abuse the gifts and knowledge that the heavenly beings bestow upon them. Slowly, humans became civilized and the Earth progressed. They started to believe that they don’t need the help of the heavenly beings. Because of this, the heavenly beings went back to the galaxy and became distant with humans. They became stars that shine bright and watch over Earth.

My name is Hee and I am a one of the stars that you look upon at night. I was born after the time the heavenly beings became distant to humans. I knew nothing about Earth because my parents refuse tell stories about it.

I was strolling near Venus when Geng, my friend star ran towards me. “Hee! I found someone who can tell us stories about Earth.” He grinned. “Who?” I asked. “It’s an old man named Teuk. He lives near Neptune. I heard that he lived in Earth before. He is a crackpot now though. But I bet his stories are still credible.” He held out his hand to me. “So are you coming with me?”

“I’m scared Geng. Uranus is so far away and what if Teuk does something dangerous?” I freaked out but then Geng suddenly grabbed my hand and I felt sparks emitting from the two of us. “I am going to protect you okay?” He assured. With just those words, I believed in Geng. I held his hand tightly and together we traversed to Uranus. Amidst the regular looking star like me and Geng, a big star that shines so bright caught our attention.

“Are you Teuk?” Geng asked.

“Why you looking for me kiddo?” Teuk asked back. I stared at the dazzling star in front of me and what I saw was not a crackpot but instead, someone who is knowledgeable and has been through a lot.        “Is it that you’ve been to Earth before?” The moment Teuk heard Geng’s question, he began to cackle; a genuine cackle that contains pure joy.

“This was the first time someone asked me that since I came back from Earth. It’s a world that is so much different from this galaxy. There were so many things to do and discover. I kept going back because being there makes me happy. But when stars were banned to go back to Earth, I fell into misery. I searched for way to go back and I was able to find the answer.”

“How?” Geng and I chorused.

“In the space belt between Mars and Jupiter, you will find a place where dashing comets fell. If you ride on it then you’ll be able to go to Earth.”

After our talk with Teuk, our trip back home was filled with silence. “I want to be as bright as Teuk.” Geng suddenly said. “Don’t tell me you’re going to Earth?” I muttered. “I’m still thinking about it. But I think Earth will be the place that would give me the happiness that I am looking for.”

When my turn on shining light on Earth was over, I decided to take a rest and let my mind wander. What if Geng goes to Earth? Will I come with him? I’ve been really curious about Earth as well. But I’m scared of what awaits us if we go there.

My trails of thoughts were cut when I heard someone walk up to me. It was Geng. I looked at him; there was a glint in his eyes. “Hee, I’ve decided. I’m going to Earth.” He held out his hand. “Are you coming with me?” All my fears and worries seemed to wash away. I took his hand and held it tight as if my life depended on it. “Let’s go.” I smiled.

We walked together to the space belt between Mars and Jupiter; there we saw comets rushing towards different planets. Geng and I jumped on a comet heading to Earth. “Are you happy?” Geng asked. I beamed as I nodded and he kissed me. Why worry? I’m with Geng, he will protect me.

The comet went down really fast and we crashed on a field of yellow flowers. I immediately looked for Geng and what I saw astounded me. He was no longer a star. His body parts are more defined. Geng is a really dazzling sight.

“You’re human form is beautiful.” Geng smirked and I just playfully slapped him on the shoulder. I looked around. We were surrounded by the ocean. It was a definitely pleasant sight to see. “Let’s go there.” Geng asked, pointing to a tall red structure in the edge of the land. He held out his hand to me. “Are you coming with me?” He asked.

As days passed, Geng and I lived peacefully on Earth. We became friends with humans, fit in with them and copy their ways. At night, we would made love at the abandoned lighthouse we are living in. All our days were filled with bliss.

But I didn’t think that those days would end. Geng really copied how humans would act; even those that aren’t right anymore. He made loads of friends and he would drink alcohol with them until the wee hours of the morning. He barely goes home anymore. When he does it was either he’s drunk or high.

One night, when Geng was in his right mind I decided to talk to him. “Geng, I want to come back home.” I blurted. “But why? Aren’t we happy here?” He argued. “Happy? You call getting wasted every night happy? What happened to you Geng? You weren’t like this before.” Tears were flowing out of my eyes now.

I held my hand out to him. “I’m going home. Are you coming with me?” Instead of grabbing my hand, Geng just stared at me. “I’m staying here. I’m still searching for that experience that would make me shine as bright as Teuk.”

“Fine. I’m leaving. This world changed you so fast.” I sobbed and ran out of the lighthouse and into the field of yellow flowers. It’s the first place that we’ve been to here on earth. Geng was still the cheerful and caring star that I knew when I first came here. I cried my heart out under the stars. I wish we could back to how we were before; those days when he would hold out his hand in order to protect me.  I wept and wept and when I opened my eyes, I realized I am back in the galaxy.

As days passed, I tried my best to live normally just like before. But things have definitely changed. I was very worried about Geng. Is he eating on time? How is he managing his hangovers? Did Geng miss me? Because I definitely miss him.

Until one day, as I was strolling by Venus, I noticed a faintly lit and scarred star. I walk towards him and realized it was Geng. “Geng! You’re back!” I exclaimed. He looked at me with his teary eyes and hugged me tight. “I missed you so bad Hee. I kept searching Earth for my happiness but then I felt incomplete when you left. I was calling out your name in the field of yellow flowers and when I opened my eyes, you’re here. I’ve never been so happy.” He hugged me tight and pulled me to a kiss. Suddenly, I felt the two of us shine really bright; even brighter than Teuk.

This must be our happiness.

Geng held out his hand to me. “I want to eat some Milky Way Sundae. Are you going with me?” I took his hand and smiled. “I’m never leaving you again.”