01

Absence

It is the perfect afternoon, the sky is dark and the weather is cold because of the intense rain. For Jiho, it is the perfect opportunity to sleep. He puts his feet on his desk and placed a comic book on his face. Unlike the gloomy weather, the students of Kyungnam High School are all excited because the long-awaited results are finally posted. The names of the senior students were arranged alphabetically, along with the universities they got in — the school’s administration were kind enough to compile each and every universities their senior students had tried to apply to — and whether they passed or not. The students were cheering along the corridors of the campus, congratulating and celebrating the good news but some were also dismayed by the outcomes.

 

“Yah!” Kyung says while shaking the body of his sleeping same-age friend. Jiho woke up looking annoyed. “The results, they’re already posted.” Kyung pointed outside of their classroom. Jiho nodded and went back to sleep. For him, it wasn’t anything to look forward to.

 

“Jiho-yah! Jiho-yah!” a girl exclaimed. She threw the comic book away from his face and shook his body. “Guess what!” “What.” He opened one of his eyes to look at her. “I passed Seoul National University!” she screamed and jumped. As soon as he heard the news, he immediately opened his other eye and froze. He can feel his heart thumping so fast making him swear to not drink coffee at night anymore. “Yah, are you not happy for me?” she crossed her arms. “Of course- I’m- happy- for- you- Jooyoung.” He finally said after not being able to let out a single word from his own mouth. Jooyoung gave him a tight hug. “By the way, you passed the universities you’ve applied for except Hongik University but that’s okay because the one you really like was Daegu Arts University right? Congrats! I’m really proud of you!”

 

Jiho was always there for Jooyoung. He’s always with her whether it’s going to school or going home from school. Even if she has an activity after school, he would still wait for her just to send her home safely even if she’s not asking him to do such a thing. He just never want to miss a chance to be with her, except for today, the day he finally broke his own record of being a consistent boyfriend slash school bus. “Jooyoung, I won’t be able to go home with you today. I’m going somewhere with Kyung.” he looked away. “Yah, you’re replacing me with Kyung now?” she joked. “You’re right. We’re running away together!” Kyung laughed. “Sure, just don’t do something that will get you in trouble. I’ll be watching you closely Kyung!” she said while doing the I’m-watching-you gesture then waved goodbye.

 

The childhood friends went to their old headquarters, an old — and still abandoned — studio-type apartment just a street away from their houses. Being back to their favourite place feels nostalgic, every memory they had in that place surrounds each and every corner of the room. After being silent for a long time, the two let out a sigh, probably an indication that they both had finished inhaling their special memories.

 

Jiho and Kyung finally settled in, they both threw their bags in the coffee table — they somehow managed to decorate the place using throw-away furniture while some were cheaply made by them — and sat down in their spots. “It’s about Jooyoung, right?” Kyung said while getting comfortable in his place. “She passed.” Jiho was still unable to process everything. “Mmm.” The other lets him continue. “I mean, I knew she would. She’s smart and all. I guess I’m just too afraid of the truth?” Jiho always acts tough and always seem like he has everything under control but the truth is the opposite. Only his best friend, the one and only Park Kyung has seen his flaws. “I don’t want to be far away from her. I want to be by her side every step of the way. But it’s not like I can stop her from leaving right? The distance between Seoul and Daegu… it’s just too much.” “Yah, Woo Jiho! Is that really you?” Kyung laughed. Jiho puts his right hand on his forehead while looking at the ceiling. “I know I’ve played a lot before but it’s different this time..” He moved it up and down and played with his hair. “Man, you look and sound crazy.” The other one laughed again. “She’s the first… to make me crazy.” He smirked. “You’ve changed.” Kyung joked. Jiho threw a pillow at Kyung’s face, “Yah! Are you here to help me or laugh at my misery?” Kyung threw the pillow back at him, “Okay, okay.. Well, all I can say is.. you’re thinking about it too much. It would be hard to accept it too if I were in your shoes, but you both love each other right? Then I guess there should be no problem. Have you even seen her worried about leaving? No, right? It’s because she trusts you! She knows you love her and nothing will change even if you guys are apart. Just chill, Jiho. Give her the trust she deserves and make use of the time you guys have left for now. Okay?” Jiho nods and let out a big heavy sigh. “I guess I feel a bit better now. You should study Psychology.” He laughed. “Sure, I’ll cure you.”

 

Jiho is a well-known underground rapper together with Kyung. He loves to compose and he gets inspiration from his own experiences but mostly from watching American comedy shows. Not only was he famous for his rapper reputation but also for playing around with girls after all, rappers have flavourful tongues. He may have fooled around with girls a lot but he only had two serious relationships. The first one was his first love who cheated on him while the second was Jooyoung. He used to study abroad but came back to Korea for high school. They have known each other since then but only started going out when they were juniors. Jiho had always adored Jooyoung for being smart, responsible, kind-hearted, beautiful and many more. He’d love to enumerate a lot more of the things he loves about her but he knew he’d never finish.   A lot of people were shocked when they knew that they were seeing each other, like why would that ever so beautiful and nice and pretty girl go out with that foreign — but not so foreign — delinquent Eminem wannabe? But little did they know that even though he may appear to be bad — he lives up to what he thinks is a chic image but in reality he just looks like an arrogant and scary teen who’s most likely to beat everything he talks to and touches — he’s actually pretty smart but just lacks motivation.

 

The next day, Jiho was at Jooyoung’s house for lunch. Jooyoung’s mother didn’t like him at first but eventually grew fond of him after seeing that he’s really serious with her daughter. Her family loves him like he was their own child. “So.. I have something to tell you guys.” she said while everyone’s eating at the table. “I passed Seoul National University!” she closed her eyes and smiled, as if she was anticipating her family’s reaction. Her mom and dad dropped their chopsticks and cheered. The corners of the room were filled will overflowing happiness. “I’m really proud of you my daughter! Aigoo~ Congratulations!” Mrs. Shin said while wiping a tear off her eye. “I’ve always known that you had it in you. Thank you for always making your old man proud. Congratulations my little baby girl.” her dad was touched. “Dad… I’m not a baby anymore.” she laughed then hugged him over the table. “How about you son?” her mom asked Jiho. “Well, I’m planning to go to Daegu Arts University..” “Didn’t you took an exam to Jooyoung’s school?” Mr. Shin wondered. “I didn’t pa—“ “He likes Daegu Arts University the most.” Jooyoung cut him off. “..but isn’t Daegu too far from Seoul?” Jooyoung’s little brother, Juno, asked. There was a long, almost awkward, silence. “..It’s okay, we have different dreams but that won’t change a thing.” Jiho forced a smile. “That’s right. He can pursue music in Daegu while I pursue Biology in Seoul and besides we can see each other on our free day.” Jooyoung defended.

 

After they ate lunch, everyone went back to their own business. Jooyoung’s mom and dad were in the living room watching TV while her brother plays video games in his own room. Jooyoung and Jiho are quietly sitting together in the garden. “..Is it really okay to you?” Jooyoung broke the silence. “Okay what?” Jiho pretended that he didn’t know. “..you know.. me being in Seoul while you’re in Daegu.” Jiho looked at Jooyoung and said, “J ust like what I’ve said earlier, we have different dreams.” He paused for a while and continued, “Even though I would love to keep you with me, I know I can’t be selfish. Who am I to stop you from reaching your dreams?” Jooyoung can see the hurt in his eyes. Jiho looked away as if trying to hide the tears that are obvious and is ready to fall but he still tried his best to calm himself as quietly as possible. Jooyoung understood everything so she looked straight ahead and let Jiho do his thing. “I-“ Jiho’s voice became shaky, “I will support you.. Because I love you and I want the best for you.” He held her hand. “I’m your boyfriend so I should be the one to encourage and understand you and your dreams. I can’t take something you love away from you because it’s what makes you, and I promised to love every single part of you.” He caressed her cheeks, turned her face towards him and kissed her forehead. “We’ll get through this.” He whispered.

 

Jooyoung is like a kryptonite, but the other way around. The closer she is to Jiho, the stronger Jiho becomes. She is the only one that can quiet his demons. And although it stings both of their hearts, they both knew that they have to do this.

 

--

subscribe & comment!

please do tell me what you think~

xx