lying to the police

48 hours

When we were shooting “Hello Baby” in 2010 I couldn’t really connect to Yoogeun at first. I was clumsy and afraid to hurt him or make mistakes. I wasn’t thrilled about the whole concept to begin with because although it was only for a couple of hours each shooting day, there was a little kid who had to relate to five guys with no experience in bringing up children at all and at least one of which was still a kid himself. Maybe we all were.

The only one who really liked the idea from the beginning had been Kibum. He was and still is really into this whole family-business. He immensely enjoyed “We got Married” as well.

But while shooting “Hello Baby” all of us grew very fond of Yoogeun and it worked for us as well. I think we had never before been so close to being a real family. We had a lot of fun with Yoogeun and with each other and I think it was then that Minho and Kibum finally made up although there was such a strong competition for the kid’s love going on. Suddenly there was something they were both good at and it made them respect each other in spite of the rivalry.

Minho arrives at 10:30am, unfortunately with a number of fans in a mini-bus in tow who prepare to camp outside the dorm.

“I’m sorry”, he apologizes coming in, “someone spotted me at the airport in Bangkok and word got around that I was on my way back. So they were already waiting for me when I arrived.”

“No big deal”, Jjong says peeking out of the window, “we’re used to it anyway. I’m glad you could make it. What did you tell the staff why you had to leave?”

Now that he mentions it I realize that I haven’t even thought about that yet since I personally have nothing scheduled this week. So I ask:

“What did ALL of you say why you had to cancel schedules actually?”

Jonghyun grins: “I told them we had an urgent SHINee appointment. The Japanese are still intimidated by SME I guess, they didn’t even try to argue.”

“Same here”, Minho confirms, “SHINee schedules are a good excuse.”

“Makes me wonder, why you miss so many of our concerts”, Jjong teases and Minho mock-punches him in the stomach.

Taemin is on sick-leave he tells us which might be even better since he won’t be harassed for at least another day.

“I wonder what Kibum told the Americans. They probably don’t care about SHINee”, says Jjong but I’m pretty sure the almighty Key had the best excuse of all of us.

We upload Minho’s clip to my notebook but it’s the same one I got as is the text. I’m almost disappointed since there could have been a hint about the kidnapper.

“We’re stuck”, Jjong rounds it up. “But they will contact us again anyway to give us the details about the delivery. All we can do right now is wait.”

But waiting quickly becomes unnerving so we busy ourselves with taking down all details of the two clips we have, although there seems to be little benefit in it.

It’s almost noon time when the police arrive. Although it’s hardly surprising we’re taken aback when the two officers enter the dorm almost shyly, an older guy and a young woman who blushes at the sight of Taemin in the wrinkled open shirt that he has been wearing since yesterday and that I only now notice. To my endless relief they are on their own without any SME staff. They would probably have been more surprised to see four of us here than the officers are.

Minho manages to shut down the notebook unnoticed while Jjong casually tidies away everything else that might be connected to the case.

“Please excuse us”, the guy says, “my name is Ko Seun-Woo and this is Choi Kyong-Ah, we’re from Ggyeonggi police-department and we’re here about the case of Jung Yoogeun who disappeared yesterday. We understand that your ... band has a connection to the child and we would like to ask you a couple of questions.”

“Yeah of course”, I answer and lead them into the living-room while explaining that we’ve already seen it on the news.

Sitting down on the sofa they refuse the tea I offer and look so intimidated by the surrounding that the interview is rather short. Ms. Choi's eyes are glued to Taemin who switches on his iest smile while he lies without blinking.

They tell us that they have no hints so far as to what happened to Yoogeun and that they cannot rule out a crime but so far they believe he might just be lost or even ran away from home. That makes me wonder how his situation at home is these days. And I feel bad that I haven’t visited him for a long time.

“There is another member to your group than just the four of you, right?” Ko asks. “Is he not here at the moment?”

“Key!” Ms. Choi blurts out and then blushes again.

“Kim Kibum”, Jjong corrects her smiling, “yes he’s in America for a musical production, but he will return soon. Shall we contact you then?”

There’s some wishful thinking in that but I believe the fact that Kibum is not present might increase our credibility since it’s rather unusual nowadays that we’re all home at the same time.

“That won’t be necessary”, Ko answers, “we will come back to you, if we have any further questions. But if you have any information concerning the case I would appreciate it, if you gave me a call.”

He hands over a business-card to Jjong and gets up. I see them out, they say their good-byes and Ms. Choi throws a final longing glance at Taemin before I close the door behind them.

We wait until Minho confirms from the window that they have left the building and then collectively exhale.