Chapter 1

Library AU

    His eyes traced over the features of the boy’s face, his soft cheek bones, the careful stretch of his sweet lips into a grin, the gentle way his eyes curved as he smiled.  It was the fifth day this week he had come back to the library to see this kid.  He hoped it didn’t become a habit.  He inhaled sharply and ducked back behind the bookcase he was next to as the current patron left the desk and the boy looked up.  Explaining why he was staring wouldn’t be a good way to introduce himself.  Letting out a slow breath to calm himself down, he went back to disinterestedly browsing.

 

    Hoseok let his fingers gently brush the spines of the books as he went.  He never spent much time in libraries until recently; the heavy silence and reserved nature of the people coming and going weren’t his favorite things.  He supposed he could get used to it, though, if it meant getting to see him.  He had trouble finding things to help him pass the time (and ways to mask his stalking), but every once in a while he got lucky and would find himself in a whimsical novella (or peeking through just the right sized gap in the books).  Hoseok wasn’t exactly comfortable yet, though.  He felt stiff in the quiet space and kept his distance from other people.  However, he had found a chair around the corner from the sitting area that was typically void of other faces.  Those rare times when he found something to read, he sat there.  Today, he had yet to find any acceptable material.  He was in the non-fiction section because it was closest to the counter where the object of his interest was currently stationed.  Non-fiction didn’t interest him as much; he found it boring.  However, he had found himself reading more and more in these past five days than he had in the past year.  Hoseok sighed quietly as he turned into the next row of shelves, wishing for something good to read to jump out at him.  His eyes skimmed the passing titles, nothing grabbing his attention.  He was starting to feel discouraged when suddenly, his hand stopped against something.  A book was sticking out of the shelf, it’s dimensions different from the surrounding ones.  Curious, Hoseok pulled it from the shelf and turned it over.  “The Ultimate Guide to Sea Glass: Finding, Collecting, Identifying, and Using the Ocean's Most Beautiful Stones”.  He looked up and headed for his usual spot, curious as to just how much there was to know about old broken glass.

 

    As he rounded the corner, he noticed something very different about his favorite spot.  A man, no more than a couple years older than him, sat in his usual chair.  He had one pale hand holding open a worn out paperback as the other played mindlessly with his hair.  He was incredibly pretty for a man, his face perfectly round and his lips puckered slightly in concentration.  Flustered, Hoseok stopped in his tracks.  Looking around awkwardly, he remembered that there weren’t any other chairs in this spot and turned to leave when a voice stopped him.

 

    “Sorry, do you usually sit here?”  It was much deeper than he had expected from someone with such a feminine looking face.  Hoseok turned back around to face him.

 

    “Yeah but uh. . . it’s fine if you’re there.  I could, um, find somewhere else to sit.”  The stranger cocked an eyebrow at him.

 

    “You sure?”  Hoseok nodded quickly.  The man looked at him for a moment before shrugging and going back to his book.  Hoseok turned and quickly shuffled away to find somewhere more suitable to sit.

 

    Eventually, he found himself in a worn arm chair in the farthest corner of the sitting area.  He absent mindedly turned the pages, not really reading.  He let his mind wander to the sweet boy at the counter, wondering if he was truly as shockingly skinny as he looked, if he would feel impossibly small in Hoseok’s arms.  He wondered if his skin was really as soft as it looked, what the boy’s hand would feel like under his own.  He wondered if the boy would ever actually be interested in him if Hoseok worked up the courage to talk to him.  Does he even swing that way?  Since when did Hoseok swing that way?  He was undeniably and invariably attracted to the kid in a more that friendly way and this conflict had been floating in the back of his mind since he laid eyes on him.  He shooed the discomfort from his mind, deciding to think about it later and spend the current time gushing over this new crush.  He loved the warm feeling it gave his heart.