first and last

Gaeseki~!

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a big lump in my throat. It came to hunt me again, the frightful nightmare that always tends to wake me up every night since the day I woke up from a coma when I am sixteen years old. The doctor in the hospital where I am admitted told me that both my parents and my older brother died the year before I woke up. I’d been in the coma for almost one and half year. It’s my best friend Kim Nana that helped me recap all the happenings before and during my coma tine. I came from a well-lived family, not that we corporate a big company, but we have the most famous five star hotel in Seoul. Right now I am living on my own; I don’t know anyone connected to my family, no cousins, uncles, aunties, and grandparents, not even a single godparent I know. I am settled on the suit in the last floor of our hotel, our house is in the hands of our head maid, I visit there once in a while just to check the things happening in the household.

I am walking to my kitchen, into the fridge for a cold glass of water. I still can’t get rid of the horrible feeling after the sweet nightmare. In my dream, I am in a car with my family; we are heading on the country side for our summer road trip to a secluded beach house. Right in time of our turn to a street, a big ten-wheeler truck full of metal rods and hollow blocks came to our way, smashing our shining red convertible masseratti, the windshield of the car was underneath the front wheel of the truck, hovering over both my parents. Lucky for me, I am at the back and I am able to duck my head, I saw blood flooding beside me, just then I saw my older brother, ____, shot by five metal rods all over his body, unconscious. But in just split seconds, hollow blocks hovered on top of me, squeezing me into a pulp, gushing blood from my head and then all became dark.

I shivered to the thought of these things. I allowed myself to be carried away from the mere thoughts, I place the empty glass in the sink, not wanting to wash and touch water at this hour. It wouldn’t help me get back to sleep either. I need to wake up early tomorrow.

*time skip*

I was shaken awake from my deep slumber by a buzzing sound from my cute-hideous little alarm clock.

“Aarrggh! ~” I groan to the pillow, not wanting my eyes to hurt by the vibrant rays of sunshine emitted from the big ball of gas, passing through my window. I stand up and head to the bathroom, to take a brief bath before heading to school. I put on my white striped three-fourths and a navy blue flowy knee-high skirt, and a two inch cream wedge. I braided my hair to the side. I stand in my wall length crystal clear window, to take a deep breath, and let myself be astonished from the great view from this floor, early in the morning and people were already cramming to go to either school or in their respective jobs. This view always help my spirit up every morning, after I get up from my coma, I spent a month to get used to my new environment before I get back to school, I am a year behind my late classmates now. I do some kind of ritual by visiting the grave of my family every Sunday, family day.

Before I get carried away by my emotional thoughts again, I quickly went to the elevator to go to ground floor. I guess no workout stair for today because of these wedges.

I greeted all the hotel staff on my way before I gave my keys to the chauffer, after a minute, a shining white convertible parked before me, he quickly step out of the car and open the door for me, before I enter, I bow to him to show my respect and thanks.

I drive to my school, Seoul University, don’t worry; I have a license, STUDENT LISENCE.

Not to boast but, I am really good in parallel parking.

I am greeted by my best friend on the way to the entrance.

“Wassup, Li Yuan? Nightmares again?”  yep, you got it right, she knows everything about me, if I say everything, it means, even the tiniest fragment of my being, she knows it all, I mean, she is not a stalker like it’s just, I tell her EVERYTHING about myself, I fully trust her, she is my childhood friend, but you can also said, FETUS FRIEND, I remembered that my mom said when I am five years old that, Nana’s mother is her best friend, that pretty sums it all up, now the history repeat itself to both of us, Kim Nana and Li Yuan, best friends: together, forever.

“You know me too well; you’re pretty keen to it though, it happens every night!” I gave her a fist pump and we do our secret handshake twist here and there, slap here, and pinky hook, then comes the formal handshake. It’s weird, I know. We Are Weird.

“Enough with the drama girl! Let’s get going!” whatever she said…

We walk towards the gate and into the corridors, finding our room, actually, not FINDING, because we know this campus too well, so to be rephrase, ‘finding our nice way’, how ‘bout that? --

“Good morning!” my thought was interrupted by a sudden voice, followed by the others, all formal greetings, it happens every day, I am well known in this school, our family shares a fund here, a big fund, to help the whole campus. Not just for my own good. At first, it is not broadcasted, because I hate being the topic in our school, they just don’t give privacy. Not when an accident happened—

*flashback*

“What now, ha? You better not came up on my way; you don’t know who I am! You effing nerd!” a girl snap at me when I accidentally bump into her and spill the orange juice she was drinking all over her beautiful face while trying to help me lose my balance and greet the cold floor.

“Mianhe... I just didn’t saw you a while, I am really sorry, please forgive me, here I’ll help you..” I said while trying to get rid of the orange liquid all over her.

“I don’t need your dirty hanky smoldering on my face, eeww... Get lost idiot!” she slapped and kick me in the stomach, I yelp in pain. I try to get a hold of myself when another slap came rushing into the same spot earlier. It is hard enough to leave a bruise, a cold purple-ish bruise.

“YAH! What the hell are you doing to my best friend!? Do you know whom you’re picking at!?” Nana yelled while sprinting to my side, glaring at the girl and her two other companions who stay silent the whole time.

“What, another nerd? So tell me, who is she?” the girl said while pointing her middle finger on my face.

“She’s just the daughter of Mr. Li, a big share holder in this university, actually, if you see into it, they almost own this school, her family can get a grip and throw you out of this uni! Now do you understand! Next time be sure to know the background of the people you’re picking at! Get lost; I don’t need your sorry in here! Be sure to say goodbye to your friends and boyfriend in this school, ‘cause I am sure that you would last that long in here after what you have done! I don’t want to see your face anymore, go flush yourself in the toilet!” Nana retorted at my bully. I just stayed sitted on the floor, cradling my face and stomach.

“Come on, stand up, I’m taking you to the clinic.” She calmly said to me, students make way for us; I surely made a SCENE in there. Uh-oh~ we entered the clinic and greeted by a unhappy Ms. Park, the school nurse.

“What happened now?” she asked worriedly,

“She got picked on by that not-so-sorry ...” Nana said remorsefully, I tried to touch my face but I quickly winch at the contact. They both noticed it and Ms. Park carry on to the treatment, sanitizing this and that, and applying an ointment gel, I don’t know.

“Now that I think about in Nana, you just spilled my secret to the whole campus, now would be treating me like a princess after I exit this room!” I boomed at her, she just gave me an apologetic smile.

-Next day-

I was greeted formally here and there, and anyone that I passed by, bow at me, except for the teachers. I am not used to this treatment, that’s why as much as possible; my identity must stay hidden after I finished at this school. Not to my luck.

*end of flashback*

I just sometimes greeted them back or clearly ignore their presence; I don’t want attentions, not on the mood. Students said that after the accident, I became such a cold and distant person, maybe because of the trauma in my brain that causes the inappropriate acts. We enter the classroom and sit on the far left end of the room, it’s my sit, I prefer sitting near the window, and it helps me. Nana took the sit beside me, we’re seatmates. I just stared outside, enjoying the peaceful view of the school garden. A sudden poke catches my attention—

“What? ~” I simply answer her poke.

“Have you heard that there would be a transferee in our class today?” she eyed me cutely…

“I don’t care~!” I retorted.

“Oh! Don’t be cold to me! I didn’t waste a year class just to stay by your side in that hospital bed!” yep, you got it right again. She took the lap year just for me, being my very best friend, she insists being by my side 24/7. She practically made my private hospital room turned into her own bedroom, she asked for a couch and a bed for herself, and changing the wall paint to sky blue, we share a favorite color.

“Psshh~” the starting bell rang, indicating the start of the class. Students came rushing through the door. In just a minute, a teacher entered the classroom.

“Good morning class!” Mr. Choi boomed out.

“Good morning sir! ~” my classmates shot back, not me, I hate mornings.

“As you were all aware of, we are having a midterm transferee. Please come in! ~” he eyed to the door.

“Listen up! Please introduce yourself”—Mr. Choi

“Annyeonghaseyo! Je ireomun, Jeon Jung Kook imnida! Please take care of me! ~” he eye-smiled.

My mouth stayed agape from the sight of a perfect creature standing in front, I didn’t know such creature exists. He took a sight of me and give me a frikin’ smirk. What the actual f---. NO ONE SMIRKED AT ME!!

“Please take your sit at the back of Miss Li, that’s the only vacant sit we have,” Mr. Choi said pointing to the sit at my back. Oh LUCKY me! I get to sit in front of a bastard! He walks towards the said place, Nana nudge me in the side feeling the black aura surrounding me and my pointy look to the guy.

I let these entire happening pass.

“So, let’s start with the new lesson… blah, blah, blah…”

*break time*

“Why are you looking like you just wanted to murder the guy? He’s adorable, why are you such a cold person, not acknowledging a presence of a cute guy,” I choked on my banana milk when I heard a deep voice called out—

“Hello Miss Li? You alright? You seemed surprise on a presence of a cute guy?” he eyed Nana, who just turned red at the certain moment.

“Psshh! Gaeseki!” I turned to him with a death glare.

“What did you say?” he turned to me after watching Nana turn red.

“Son of a !” I mocked at him.

“Why you--!” he didn’t finish what he’s saying…

“You better watch your words pretty boy!” Nana managed to say through her reddening face. “I don’t want a guy like you be expelled in just your first day in here…”

“And why would I be expelled?” Jung Kook asks in bewilderment.

“She’s basically the princess of this school, her family owns a big share in this university...” much to my hate, Nana just said to the only person in this school that doesn’t know me, my long lost secret.

“Ooh, I find this school very great but you’re going to get rid of me in just a day, that’s not a good manner, isn’t it?” he cooed inching his face towards me. I just keep my straight face.

“You better believe it…” I cooed back. Pushed his face backwards.

“Come on girl, we’ll be late for class…” Nana said, finally, she had recovered in the blush.

I stand up from where I am sitting and walk towards the door of the cafeteria.

*at home*

 A took a long bath to freshen up my senses. After class, I and Nana have a habit of either going to the park or in a café/resto for dinner, she never let me eat on my own. She said I’d suffer enough for losing my family; a precious girl like me must not be alone.

I put on a plain white shirt and faded skinny jeans, and a black and white low cut converse. Before I get out, I make sure that there is no running water and open electronics. On my way out, I grab my jacket and my keys and card. I enter the elevator and phone Nana—

*playing ‘when I was your man’ by BTOB*--her ring back tone

After seems like forever, which is just really half a minute, she picked up.

“Yeoboseo? ~”—Nana

“Finally, meet me at the café in 15 minutes?”—me

“Oh sure! I’ll be there; I am just going out the house now.”—Nana

“Okay, annyeong!”—me. I ended the call and went out of the elevator. Walking towards the lobby and into the parking lot, I’ll get my car by myself.

 

*bell sound*

“Good evening Miss Nana!”—a staff greeted me. I am known here, this is the place where nana and I always hangout when we don’t have anything to do, and sometimes ate dinner in here. I gave her a slight smile and a bow, and walk straight to our usual table. They know I’m always with Nana so they don’t get my order until she’s not here. I was fiddling with my phone when I heard the chair in front of me move and a person sat down, I know it’s Nana, I look up at her with a smile on my lips. But when I saw the face that I hate the most just this morning, my smile turn upside down.

“What, a minute you’re smiling and all and then you’re frowning again? What’s wrong? Do you hate me that much?”He faked cry.

“Cause you’re a Gaeseki... Why are you even here?” I glared at him.

“Having coffee—“he shortly replied

“Get lost, I don’t need your ugly face in here, I’m waiting for Nana…”—me

“Aah, the best friend? Why don’t you copy what your best friend is acting like, she is so nice, and charming—“ I cut him off

“Then why are you bothering me instead of her?” I asked with a brow raised

“Because you’re cuter…” he said with twinkling eyes, is that even possible?

“Ppsssshh… get lost, I would never like you, such an arrogant … go away!” I snapped at him but mumble the latter part.

“You’ll eat your words, I know that look on the first time you saw me, and you’re astounded by my beauty… I’ll make you fall for me. Bye, “he leaned into my ears, “your bff is coming; I don’t want her to interrupt my moment with you so I better end this…” he trailed off in a low voice, I felt a shiver down to my spine. Then in just a moment he is gone and nowhere to be seen, and Kim Nana came…

“What’s with that face?” she blurt out,

“What face--?” I said and turn to my poker face.

“Whatever, come on let’s order, I’m starving.” She literally drags me to the counter and order food and drinks, for dinner of course.

*after 2 week when we met in the café, he keeps bothering me and always buzzing around, he even get to live in my hotel, NEXT DOOR to me! This has been irritating me for the past, the day when he introduced himself in front of the class.*

‘Ding Dong’ that’s the sound of my doorbell in the hotel room. I walk towards the door and open it; I just got up from bed.

“Wooah! ~” I turned to the owner of the voice and to my surprise; it’s him, the most consistent, annoying person in the whole world.

“What are you even doing here?” he caught me off guard and pass through me, he know I won’t let him enter sooo—

“Here, please take this, ‘good morning’,” he handed me out a freshly picked white roses, he always give me one or even a bouquet.

“You know you don’t need to do this every day, it’s sickening me…” but I have to admit, it’s pretty sweet…hmmm

“You know I’ve been dying to ask you out since that day, and all you did was embarrass me…”he said a bit shyly.

“And how many times would I say to you that I would NEVER go out with you!?” I can’t trust anyone right now; I can’t put on an effort to someone, because I know that they would just leave me eventually. NO NO NO!!

“Care to tell me why?” he asked me

“Nope” oh please stop..

“Well, what do you want me to do for you in order to give me your trust and go out with me?” I don’t know man, I don’t know!

“okay, I’ll give you only one chance, meet me in the lobby this afternoon, you better not mess up cause you’ll never get another chance. Just tell me what kind of clothes would be appropriate for me to wear later…” I answered him calmly

“YES! I GOT THE CHANCE TO PROVE MYSELF AND YOU WOULD NEVER EVER REGRET IT! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!” he screamed like a girl and jump excitedly.

“Smoosh” he kissed my cheek happily and run away before I catch him. What a kid.

“ok, I got one and a half hour before our so called ‘first date’, aish, why did I agreed to this!?” I’m currently rummaging through my closet for an appropriate clothes, this is so hard!

He haven’t informed me to where we are heading to, does he have been thinking too much that he forget about me? Nah, his fault though. I’ll bring a swimsuit just to mock him, he’s the one who forgot.

“I’m done!” I cheered happily, I was just wearing a simple above the knee Sunday dress, and it’s light orange with polka dots, a blazer and just crème flats, and I tie my hair up in a messy bun.

 

*one message recieved*

Jungkook: Meet me at the parking lot in a minute..

Okay, just be calm and obey him, just this once. i told him to meet me at the lobby not at the parking lot though, i just walk up to the said location and search for a guy named Jungkook. 

I spotted him and he frantically waved at me, such a kid. 

"what's your plan?" i asked him straightforwardly

"it's a surprise!" he grinned at me

"but, what i'm wearing--? is it appropriate or not?" i suddenly felt concious about what i'm wearing

"perfect~" still with the smile no-one could resist... oh what am i saying, he just look like a puppy

he opened the door of his car for me, "please get in," he gently spoke and hold my hand while i enter his car. then he went to the driver's side and start the engine.

we've been in the road for half an hour already, and we're heading out of town. "Mind telling me where we're going?" i asked him for the umpteeth time.

"well i told you that it is a surprise..." he said glancing my way.

"come on Yuan, we're already here!" i'm still sleepy! uhh, oh my god! i sit up immidiately remembering that i'm still on a date with Jungkook.

"oh, i'm sorry that i've slept, i'm just tired." my god, please tell me that i didn't drool, such an embarrasment.

"it's okay, i understand you, come on, we still have a date right?" he said with the ever so cocky smile

"right," i get out of the car and walk with him, my eyes widened from the view, an almost sunset, such a beautiful vew. we settled at the shore, "can i hold your hand?" he asked me, "whatever you want," i said with a hushed voice, still mesmerized by the beautiful view

"i knew you'll love the view, it's the same as you, so beautiful" the latter part bring me back to the world, i shot him a glare, i am not used to people complementing my looks. " no need for a glare though, i am just telling the truth." he finished of with a smile.

 

 

dates here and there, until one day i just realized that i am already falling hard to the mentioned lad. the boy that once my most hated person, now my most loved one. the nightmares that regularly visiting me never showed up anymore once i'd settled with jungkook after years. i never knew a day would come though, the day when we would say our vows and settle with one another legally, rings exchanged, sealed with a kiss and papers signed. our marriage life maybe considered as perfect, everyday waking up to the man i love, spending the day with one another, exchanging sweet words, sometimes intimidating looks, all the happy pictures. never would cross your mind with negative thoughts, like devorcing...

 

but that's how we end...

 

"just sign here, here, and... here. that's all for you Miss Li Yuan." directed a personel in the judgement room

"Thank you for both of your cooperation, Ms. Li and Mr. Jung. We're done and will both of you enjoy you single life again, thank you." we bowed to the judge  and other staffs, and we shook hands. sealing the deal to not cross each others life again.

 

Sad but let's all face it, not every love story end with a happily ever after, there's no such thing as faries and fairy godmothers in real life, no frog prince and no shoe fitting sessions to find the girl of your dreams.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please read this fanfic...this is the very first story i made that i decided to post... i've got so many thoughts in my mind about writing fics, but when i'm through with the outline, i'll get bored on writing it as a whole story. help me how to put my thoughts into writing please, any suggestions how? one more thing, about the ending, i sometimes hate cliche ones so maybe, my story won't end just the way you want it, sorry..;))