honeymoon

21 Cheongdam-dong Street

The only thing constant is change.

Seoyoon repeated these words out loud to herself, with her eyes closed and body stretched in a yoga pose. When she exhaled and lied back down on her room floor, her doorbell rang. She stood up to answer her apartment door, but as she walked, there was another doorbell ring. And then another. And another. And then constant knocking. Seoyoon checked the time—2:47 am—and her police senses decided to pick up a weapon (a heavy encyclopedia), just in case she needed to ward off a drunk ajusshi. However, before she opened the door, the knocking stopped and her houseguest (a group, apparently) began to sing.

It was Honey Moon’s debut song.

Seoyoon dropped the encyclopedia in her hands and opened her door.

“Honey Moon Seohwa, I love you!” a crowd of college kids sang. There was a mix of boys and girls, waving around posters and CDs and pictures. Then, when they realized they were looking at the Seohwa, they screamed and danced hysterically. “It’s her! It’s really her!” “Be my girlfriend!” “I’m your biggest fan!” “Sign my CD!” “Sign my chest!”

Seoyoon stared speechlessly at the crowd, unsure if she was flattered by their love or horrified by her invaded privacy. After a second, though, she snapped out of it and yelled at them to go home, but they would not move. When a pen and a poster were put in her hands, she wrote in bold letters go home!!!! –seohwa and held it up. But the message only made the crowd rowdier. A fan took the poster and left. Soon, she was given another poster, another CD, another Polaroid, and yes, another bare chest to sign. One male fan leaned in for a kiss on the cheek, but instead Seohwa wrote on his forehead ert and on his cheeks –seo hwa.

“Wow, I’m never washing this off!” the fan said, touching his cheeks.

“You’re smearing it already,” Seoyoon said. He looked at his hands and screamed, making his friends and Seoyoon burst out in laughter.

“We made her laugh! I told you coming would be worth it,” another fan said. Seoyoon suddenly frowned and was ready to tell them off, but their smiles and laughs were contagious. Seoyoon sang and danced along with her fans. It was 3 in the morning. All was good and well until a neighbor’s apartment door opened. It was a middle-aged woman, ready to curse and kick when she noticed Seohwa.

“Honey Moon!” she yelled, wagging her finger at Seohwa. She ran back into her house and returned with a Honey Moon CD. She ran past the rest of the college kids to reach Seohwa and looked at her adoringly. “Sign?”

 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 

“Number one digital single. Number one physical album. Number one search item, popularity vote, karaoke song!” Captain Ahn laughed with his whole body and literally slapped his knee.

“There’s a ranking for karaoke songs?” Seoyoon asked.

“Who cares? We’re number one!” Minjoo exclaimed, jumping up from her seat. “Next we’ll have TV appearances, reality shows, movie deals, CF offers, photoshoots—”

“And you can end your investigation sooner,” Captain Ahn reminded her.

“Yes sir!” Minjoo saluted the captain and soon they were dismissed. Minjoo and Seoyoon walked out of the captain’s office, where their manager needed to rush them to their next schedule. However, the sidewalk from the “company” doors to the van outside were packed with excited fans, ages from 7 to 70. When Minjoo walked out, she greeted them with kisses and winks, but when Seoyoon walked out, the fans went wild. Seoyoon coolly waved them away and sat in the car. They were driving away in the van when Minjoo awkwardly said, “Well, they seem to like you.”

 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 

Minjoo and Seoyoon rushed from photoshoot to recording to fan meeting with time to catch their breath. Everywhere they turned, someone was asking them questions, measuring their sizes, taking their pictures. And while Minjoo drank enough espresso shots and energy drinks to keep her going throughout the day, Seoyoon was exhausted and overwhelmed. She was constantly on the lookout for any suspicious persons—and it didn’t help that she was being watched by even more fans.

“Why was that girl even in our changing room? She didn’t ask any questions or anything. It’s as if she thought she could get in and out without being noticed—”

Minjoo rolled her eyes and interrupted her partner. “That was Hana, from Mellow Yellow. She debuted with us just last week and must be super jealous.”

“But who has she been working with before?” Seoyoon asked. She then took out her phone to read other notes she had jotted down during the day. “There was also one very nervous boy group at the door today, three stalker girl idols, and one very unhappy music company CEO—who, by the way, used to be an idol himself.”

“Get it straight—the boy group was a fan of ours, the stalker idols are actually fans are called sasaengs and they’re very much common, and the CEO was of course unhappy because we just blew his new idol groups off the charts,” Minjoo replied.

Seoyoon scrolled down her notes and continued. “One sasaeng had a very large camera and could easily be stalking other groups and sneaking into places as media. The CEO had on rings that suggest he might be a—”

“Shh!” Minjoo hushed Seoyoon as their dressing room door opened. Seoyoon quickly hid her phone and watched the door—suspiciously—as three men walked in—suspiciously.

“Woah, it’s so quiet in here. Are we interrupting something?”  Yoseob asked, with a large smile. Dongwoon and Doojoon walked in behind him, also all smiles.

“Actually, we requested to be alone—”

“No, no, you’re fine,” Minjoo quickly said, standing up from her seat. “In fact, I’m sorry we haven’t greeted you yet. We’ve just been so busy.” Seoyoon slowly rose from her seat and gave her sunbaes a half-hearted bow. They began introducing themselves when Dongwoon interrupted.

“Sorry, but you’re Han Seoyoon, right?” Both Minjoo and Seoyoon froze up—if he knew Seoyoon was a detective, their cover was blown. “Do you remember me? We went to the same high school.”

“Ah, of course,” Seoyoon absent mindedly replied. Her focus remained on their investigation though she nodded and laughed at appropriate times as Minjoo continued the conversation with the guys. By the time Seoyoon finally lost her train of thought, Doojoon and Dongwoon were dancing along to Honeymoon’s debut song while Yoseob and Minjoo sang the chorus.

“Join us!” Doojoon said, waving Seoyoon over. She tried to avoid the group, but Dongwoon took her hand.

“No need to be shy in front of your ideal type,” he said, with a wink. Seoyoon turned red and yelled that it wasn’t true, but the rest of them continued to . Doojoon stepped forward and put a comforting arm around Seoyoon.

“Don’t worry. Oppa’s here.”

 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 

Seoyoon and Minjoo’s minivan pulled up to the club’s private back entrance. It was past midnight already, but Seoul’s nightlife was just getting started—especially for the A-list celebrities. Honeymoon’s manager turned around and smiled proudly at his two idols, who couldn’t be any different (Minjoo’s outfit was bursting with glitter and color while Seoyoon’s outfit was black on black), but apparently couldn’t be any more perfect together.

“Oh, would you put that away for one second?” Minjoo took Seoyoon’s phone from her hands and turned it off.

“I’m trying to run an investigation here! I’m the real detective here, remember?” Seoyoon argued.

“Well, we’re undercover, remember?” Minjoo shot back. She then confidently entered the club, holding her own phone out for a selfie. “I can’t believe I’m here!” Her eyes scanned the room, full of more celebrities than she could imagine. “Look! There’s Min and Hyoyeon on the dance floor… Sunggyu and Junhyung at the bar… Hyuna! G-Dragon! BoA?”

The idols all turned their attention to Minjoo, who was gawking at them and taking pictures from the entrance. “What a rookie,” Suzy said, rolling her eyes. But when Seoyoon entered, they all looked up again—with interest. “But she looks promising,” Suzy nodded.

“Seohwa! Minnie! So glad you could make it,” Dongwoon said, greeting the two girls. Kikwang was with him and held out drinks for both of them. Minjoo was about to take it when Seoyoon stopped her.

“No drinks tonight, remember what our manager told us?” Their manager had, in fact, encouraged drinking with their sunbaes, but Minjoo played along and refused the drink.

“Maybe another night?” Kikwang asked with a wink.

“Hyung, how can you say that when your girlfriend is here?” Dongwoon asked. He held up his hand to call her, but Kikwang quickly put the drinks in his hands.

“Speaking of which, I think I’ll check on my baby,” Kikwang said. He then turned to Honeymoon and gave them an innocent eye smile. “It was nice meeting you, though! I’m sure we’ll talk more soon.” Minjoo wanted to watch Kikwang walk to his mysterious girlfriend, but Dongwoon instead led them around the room, introducing them to different idols, per Seoyoon’s request.

“I absolutely love your song, by the way. I wish I had your cool image when I debuted,” Bomi said.

“We just got lucky, I guess,” Seoyoon replied.

“Ey, be honest. Dongwoon hyung didn’t help you debut? Didn’t you say you’re from the same high school?” Ilhoon asked. Seoyoon was speechless for a second—why would she need help from an oppa to release some idol music?

“I didn’t help her at all. In fact, I’m just lucky to be reunited with her,” Dongwoon said, smoothly putting an arm around Seoyoon’s waist. Seoyoon looked up at Dongwoon beside her and became speechless again, for a completely different reason.

“I’m lucky I have sunbae,” she said, patting his stomach. Seoyoon looked up at Dongwoon, who continued to talk with Ilhoon and Bomi, and her mind wandered back to their high school days. Who would have thought that Dongwoon—the life of the party, the charismatic ladies’ man—would be standing with Seoyoon—the quiet jock, the studious wallflower—just a few years later?

Minjoo interrupted Seoyoon’s train of thought with a loud gasp. “This—the DJ is playing our song!” She rushed to the dance floor and began her choreography without missing a beat.

“Look, see that guy up there next to the DJ?” Dongwoon asked, turning Seoyoon towards the dance floor. “That’s Junhyung. He was the first to notice your song.” She smiled and soon the two of them took center stage, with others either watching their performance or dancing along. When Honeymoon’s song ended, Seoyoon held out her hands to high-five Dongwoon, but he brought her in for a hug.

Meanwhile, Minjoo stood off to the side of the dance floor, where she was pushed to by the crowd. She stood there with a frown on her face and her arms crossed. “Minnie-yah,” a voice called from behind her. Minjoo turned around to see that Hyunseung, Hyuna, and other dancers were sitting at the table she was standing in front of. She bowed to apologize, but Hyunseung held out a shot glass for her. “Don’t look so down. You just need to relax and let things flow naturally, and things will get better, even if that means taking the backseat for now.” Minjoo took one look back at the crowd surrounding Seoyoon, and then downed the drink.

 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 

“And then, they gave it to me for free!”

The table erupted in laughter and applause as Doojoon told the punchline to his story. Everyone around asked Doojoon more questions, but he only looked to his right, where Seoyoon was sitting. She covered her face with her hands because she could not stop laughing.

“Aigoo, it’s so obvious you like me. You can stop laughing now,” Doojoon said, holding onto Seoyoon’s arm.

“Yah, oppa, I really don’t like you,” Seoyoon bluntly said.

“I know you fell for my dance moves earlier,” Doojoon said, raising an eyebrow. Seoyoon bursted with laughter again. Earlier, when Seoyoon and Dongwoon were hugging each other, Doojoon joined in on the hug. He then stole Seoyoon away to another corner, where he began showing off his… stylish moves.

“You dance like a lame ajusshi,” Seoyoon said.

“No way! I’d beat your dad in a dance off any day,” Doojoon said. He expected Seoyoon to laugh again, but this time, she did not. Instead, she was staring at Minjoo, who was dancing and singing to Bubble Pop while standing on top of a table.

“Pop pop!” Minjoo giggled and squatted down to pick up another drink, but Yoseob placed his hand over the glass first.

“I think it’s time for our little pop star to go home,” Yoseob gently said. Minjoo laughed and let Yoseob carry her down from the table. But when he tried to place her feet on the ground, she pushed him onto a seat and sat on his lap.

“You’re so nice to me, oppa,” Minjoo said.

“You’re drunk,” Yoseob bluntly said, losing his patience. He saw Seoyoon and Doojoon making their way towards him, so he pushed Minjoo off of his lap.

“I’m so sorry, sunbae. Minnie is just a little… She’s not used to all this, you know?” Seoyoon said. She slung Minjoo’s arm around her shoulder so that Minjoo could lean on her. Yoseob awkwardly smiled, so Doojoon laughed to lighten the mood.

“Half the rookies are like her. I mean, Yoseob, don’t you have some embarrassing stories of when you first starting drinking?” Doojoon asked. Seoyoon apologized again before she and the drunk Minjoo made their way out the club. When they were out of sight, Yoseob and Doojoon sat down at the bar and ordered drinks.

“So what’s the deal with you and Seohwa?” Yoseob asked.

“There’s something about her…” Doojoon picked up his glass and let it rest against his lips.

“She seems normal to me. If anything, Minnie’s more interesting.” Yoseob turned to his friend with a concerned expression. “Do you like Seohwa?”

Doojoon raised an eyebrow and winked. “That’s a secret.”