CH03

Read My Lips

“GRRRRR!!!”

With a frustrated growl, Min threw the keys hard inside her grandmother’s Avante and slammed the driver’s door shut.  The loud bang ricocheted inside the company parking garage while the small car rocked drunkenly on its axis.  Panting hard, the tiny blonde stared brokenly at her reflection in the window.  Large, tormented eyes.  Small, round lost face. 

Who was this girl? 

“Who are you?”  The soft spoken question hung in the air.  It was easy to remain composed when she was “on”.  But left alone?  The protective shield, once kept in place, slipped unnoticed from Min’s guard and left her aching heart raw and exposed. 

“WHO ARE YOU?” Min angrily hissed through clenched teeth.  With no one around to circumvent the sea of pain, her body dove in headfirst.  Like ice to her veins, the anguish caused Min’s small frame to tremble violently inside.  So much for being strong! she sarcastically yelled at herself.  Quickly, Min balled her fists and backed the tears.  She sniffed hard and concentrated once more – searching through the failing darkness for someone she once knew. 

The stupid girl in the window stared back at her.

Leave! her mind screamed.  She should just take off and leave!  Min closed her eyes as several months of overwhelming despair and uncertainties came rushing forth.  No one gives a damn!  Not your boss.  Not your bandmates.  Not your hoard of friends.  So keep telling yourself to the news!  ‘Cause everyone damn near forgot about you. 

Visibly shaken, Min opened her eyes.

“You’re not me,” she whispered.

The girl in the reflection defiantly furrowed her brows and disappeared from sight.

Min hardened her resolve. 

“You’re not me,” she repeated with finality and took one last look at herself.  Brown eyes glowing with conviction, Min blinked the last of her misery away.      

Her gaze sharpened.

She knew this girl.

This girl wasn’t some helpless lackey waiting on the sidelines.  This girl hadn’t trained nearly half of her life, shipped herself across the globe, and dedicated her childhood away just so she could be easily dismissed.  No!  This girl had worked too hard for her dream.  Had been told “no” one too many times to give up that easily.  And nothing, not even her own insecurities, were going to get in the way. 

Revived from her small pep talk, Min opened the car door and hopped in.  She scrambled for the car keys near the passenger floor and fired up the ignition.  She was an artist, damn it!  And she was going to perform!

One way or the other.

• • • ♥ • • •

Bass thumping.

Trap music blasting.

The sound of electronic beats pounded through the nondescript vehicle as Min drove steadily towards YG headquarters.  Unlike the rest of the entertainment music industry, YG was located halfway across town – an outlier, as far as the “Big Three” went.  Whereas S.M. Entertainment could be seen from their company’s penthouse suite, she had to wade through nearly thirty minutes of god-awful traffic before the infamous looming steel building came into view.  Min softly pressed on her brakes and muted the volume as a security guard approached.  She rolled down the window and smiled becomingly while politely stating her business. 

He turned her away.

“Who did you say you were again?”  The dubious expression on the man’s face said it all.

“Lee Minyoung, imnida,” Min emphasized with a strained smile.  Today was truly not her day!  “From JYP Entertainment?  Miss A?”  Her eyebrows perked up.  She prayed the old ajeossi listened to pop music. 

He furrowed his gray brows.

“No?” Min slightly shook her head to confirm.  A surge of desperation coursed through her veins.  “Umm…” she thought for a split-second before grabbing the car assist handle above her head. 

He looked confused.

“Kiss, kiss, kiss, baby,” she sang, swaying her body softly back and forth.  “Hush, hush, hush, baby!” Min provocatively waved a finger towards her lips and eyed him drolly.

“Dwaesseoyo! Dwaesseoyo!”  Frantically, the guard waved the rest of Min’s efforts off.  He scrunched his weathered face in anguish appeal and shook his head.  Kids these days!

She grinned.

“Who do you need to see again?”

“I’m here to see Park sajangnim.”

He tossed a thumb over his shoulder.  “This is YG.  Yang sajangnim’s.”

“Ah… yeh,” Min winced.  “I understand this is YG.  But Park sajangnim is with him today.  They should be together with the New Artist Development team in a dance camp this afternoon.”  She forced a serious expression on her face.  “It’s urgent that I see Park Jinyoung-sshi right away.”

He studied her face for a few long seconds, sizing her up.  “You just missed him.”

Her heart sank.  “It’s over?”

“Ani,” the security guard replied.  “You’re at the wrong building.”  He pointed diagonally down the street.  “Dance camp is taking place at the old YG building.”

Of course, idiot!  Min chastised herself.  She should’ve known they kept their trainees segregated from the rest of the idols until they passed inspection.  Letting out a relieved sigh, Min nodded.  “Do you know if they’re almost finished?”

He shrugged and gave her a bemused look.

“Right,” Min depreciatively drawled.  “I guess I can find out for myself.”  She gave him a wayward grin and began rolling up her windows.  “Kamsahamnida.”  She gave the older gentleman a small bow before driving away.

• • • ♥ • • •

The streets were packed.

Cars and vans lined both sides of the road while groups of men in their teens to mid-twenties filled the sidewalk and wrapped around the old YG brick building.  Min parked the car a distance away and took a moment to scan the crowd.

One.

Two.

She could see two cameramen on the scene – one of which she recognized from a local news station; the other – unknown.  They were doing pre-interviews.  Clips for a new show maybe?  She didn’t know.  Her fingers itched to dial her old friend, Kwon Jiyong.  She met Mr. G Dragon on a kid's show when they were younger and he had become her “older brother” of sorts.  He’d tell her exactly what hours this dance workshop was keeping!  But then again, he might start asking questions and want to know why her didn’t simply call him ahead of time so they could meet.  That was the last thing she wanted.  If Jiyong took one look at her face, he would definitely know what’s up!

She couldn’t risk that chance.

With quick, assured hands, Min began putting on her disguise.  It wasn’t a normal routine.  But she couldn’t risk being found at a YG dance camp unaccompanied right now even if her reasons did sound legit.  Grabbing a black bandana from the glove compartment, she began wrapping her soft locks – securing all traces of blond inside.  After tying off the makeshift do-rag, Min plopped on a black snapback for good measure and added dark shades.  She pulled the hood of her sweatshirt over head and made sure the edge hovered just right.  Satisfied, Min got out of the car and checked her appearance in the reflection.

“Straight out of Compton,” she murmured.

Keeping her profile averted and her posture slightly hunched, Min steadily began making her way towards the brick building ahead.  She walked past the curious on-lookers and bypassed the extra crewman on the side.  As she neared the front, she could hear the ing about to begin.

“Maybe he works here…”

“Punk needs to get back in line.  Who the he think he is?”

“If they let him in, I swear…”

She reached the front door and found it blocked by a desk with two college male interns and a security guard.  They eyed her curiously.  “Can we help you?” the lanky tall one said.  He had spiky hair and braces and wore a t-shirt that seemed one size too big.

“Umm,” Min hesitated.  “I’m here to see Park Jinyoung-sshi.  Of JYPE.”  She watched as the boys traded incredulous expressions.  Yeah, she knew her request seemed ridiculous.  It sounded so good when she was fired up an hour ago.  “I need to speak to him.  It’s an urgent matter.”

“Yeah, well… you’re at the wrong company for one,” smarted the chubby guy.  He was dressed to the nines in his streetwear and was sporting the latest grill.  “This is YG,” he smirked arrogantly.

Yeah, I know,” Min’s voice hardened.  “But I also know that Park sajangnim is inside.”  As much as she picked on him, she trusted Hajoon’s words.  “I know he’s collaborating on a project with YG and is here today for a guest appearance.”  She knew she hit the spot when surprise lit their eyes.  “So you better let me in.  Because he’s expecting me right now,” Min lied.

The two boys traded looks.

The taller one looked at his binder of profiles.  “We’re not allowed to let anyone in who hasn’t pre-registered for the audition.  That includes form, photo, and recommendations.”  He angled his chin towards the line of guys before him.  “All these guys have signed up and have been waiting in line for over three hours.”  He scoffed lightly and grinned.  “You think I’m just going to just let you in because you discovered some inside scoop on your twitter feed?”

parted in outrage.

The intern clucked underneath his breath and grabbed a clean registration form.  “Here.  Fill this out.  And go to the end of the line.  We’ll see you in a little bit.”  He handed the paper over to her.

She batted it away.

“Oooh.”

Min looked over her shoulder and was appalled to discover the sounds of grown men egging her on.  She turned back to the registration table and shook her head.  “No, I need to see Park now.  It’s urgent that I see him now.  He’s expecting me.”

“Yeah, you and everybody else,” the fat one said.  He waved her off.  “Go to the end of the line.”

“C’mon!  Back of the line!” someone yelled.

Min whipped around and faced the line.  “Man, I’m not talking to you!” she yelled at the top of her lungs.

Someone snickered.

She turned around just as the interns motioned the security guard her way.  “Nonononono,” Min pleaded.  “You don’t understand."  She side-stepped The Hulk and eyed Dumb and Dumber.  “I need to see Park sajangnim.”  The collar of her sweatshirt was yanked towards the back of as she was slowly pulled away.  Min clutched desperately at the guy’s meaty hand.  “I NEED TO SEE PARK!”

The guys started laughing.

“I don’t even care about YG!” Min yelped, her feet slipping over concrete pavement.  “YG be overrated anyways!”  Another round of guffaws and snickers ripped through the air as Min tried to right herself up enough to walk alone.  “Sir, could you… could you please loosen your grip?” Min croaked, patting his fist.

“HEY!”

The stern bark ceased all commotion.  Everyone turned towards the front door and encountered the intense, disapproving gaze of their superior.  No one could help but blanch.

Including Min.

“Let the boy in,” Youngbae curtly ordered.