Prologue

Blurring The Lines

Stereos were blasted on at full volume, pumping up the spirited club. More than half who were grinding with strangers on the dancing floor were fully drunk, yet their bodies were still moving in sync with the music the DJ selected. Some of the flirty guys had already found their ‘ideal’ girls--their bodies getting closer to each other, with their hands all over them; their lips at a mere millimetre, ready to start the ordinary love game.

Here I was, sitting at the bar alone. The bartender bugged me for what it seemed like the umpteenth time to order a drink, but I, the type of guy who although looked like I’m part of a gang, don’t drink alcohol—kindly declined. I know; a huge surprise coming from the one who was labelled as a ‘bad boy’. I clenched my fist tightly. If he bugs me again, I swear the last thing he will see before he gets knocked unconscious will be my fist.

Why am I here again?

I pondered for a while, leaving the question unanswered. Not long though, I realised I don’t want to waste any further time hanging out in the club. I mean, if there was no motive being here, then why in the first place, was I here? It doesn’t make any sense at all. Yeah, nice going, idiot. Just as I was about to leave, my eyes caught a sight of a certain girl at the left-hand corner of the room; where the toilets were located nearby. She looked distant as she was reading something at her phone. When I squinted my eyes to get a clearer view, a name immediately popped into my head. I shook it off—I might be wrong for all I know. I pushed my leather jacket sleeve on my right arm to get a glance at my watch. ‘23:24’ was what it shown. Eh, I still got time. I adjusted my beanie hat before approaching her.

Uh huh, so I was right.

Yang Yunhee, my best friend’s younger sister. In this case, in school, I’m her senior while she’s my junior. She’s a goddess. To my eyes, she is. Out of all the girls I’ve met in my life so far, she’s an exception. Her warm smile, her black bouncy wavy hair, her flawless face, her girly-like yet sturdy attitude—there’s something completely different about her that my finger could not point out. I know what you’re thinking this instant, you think I like her? Yeah, I guess you can put it that way. I mean, who wouldn’t like her? She seemed much focused on her phone, not realising I was right in front of her. Just as I was about to open my mouth, she spoke. “Gikwang oppa...” Her soft voice was all it took to make my heartbeat beating faster than usual.

What surprised me though was how she knew it was me. It could’ve been my footsteps—she was used hearing it in school daily. “Uh, yeah?” I heard my voice stuttered a bit. ‘Get ahold of yourself, Gikwang. She’s just a girl.’ I contemplated in my head. Yeah, a girl you like, a lot. My eyes slowly observed her hands, which were replying a text message. I wondered who she’s texting at a time like this. And why was she here? Shouldn’t she be at home?

“They’re coming.” Was all she had to say before her phone was gripped tightly by both hands. “Who?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowed. They who? I’m flabbergasted she could still keep herself calm over this matter. Serious or not, I need to find out. Again, I wanted to ask another question, but before I could do so, a loud shriek was heard. Automatically, my body turned around to find people running here and there; waving their hands up in the air frantically, trying to escape. Some were already lying on the floor, either unconscious or dead. Either way, it was bloody. Since my back was facing Yunhee, I started shielding her. The gangsters that approached me tried pulling her away but I managed to knock some sense into them by fighting back. When I saw the right time to escape this hellhole, I grabbed her hand tightly and ran out from the club.

I could hear loud footsteps behind. I don’t have to look back to know who was chasing us—I knew it was them. I already figured out who Yunhee was referring to all this while. Just to be sure if she was fine, I turned back. She too, was facing at the back, unfortunately, and I could tell she was thrice as afraid of this than the last ghastly brutal movie she watched with Yoseob. Her hand was squeezing my hand a bit too firm; which meant that she could not take in anymore of this nightmare.

Hold on, I’ll try to get them off from us. Just hold on.

Abruptly, I was stopped on my feet, nearly falling back. My hand was being pulled by Yunhee whose other hand was being pulled by one of the gangsters. Apparently, they were trying to trigger my rage. It was like a tugging war as I was struggling along the way. With a final powerful pull, I managed to get her back. My face formed a smirk seeing him fell on the ground. Standing conceitedly, my feet were off as fast as lighting, with Yunhee safely in my hands. Thank god for my daily workout. I wouldn’t have survived without it. Within a few meters located an alley, so I was not going to pass up this opportunity so easily. We both hid beside two huge dustbins. The alley was quite dark so it was alright; they couldn’t catch us here, I have a strong feeling about that. True enough, a herd of footsteps were heard passing by. I heaved a sigh of relief. Yet, it doesn’t stop there—I need to make sure my intuition was accurate. I got up and looked both sides, making sure the gang was nowhere near the alley.

I headed to where I left Yunhee. There she was, squatting beside the dustbins. Her calm face belied her earlier traumatised experience. Her deep breathings already signalled she needed comfort—and quick too. I gave a small smile whilst squatting to talk to her. “Hey,” I grabbed both of her hands, squeezing them into mine. “Everything’s okay now. They’re gone.” She still couldn’t stop breathing deeply, which worries me a lot. If Yoseob finds out...

I helped her up on her feet, leading her out from the alley. I could hear her punching numbers on her cellphone trying to call someone. I just stood beside her, hoping a taxi would pass by. It seemed like my wishes had come true today, yet again. I hailed as soon as I saw one and told her to get inside, paying in advance to the taxi driver. She motioned me to get inside with her cellphone on her ear, but I declined. The taxi took off; my eyes staring at it until it was out of my sight. I hope she’s fine on the way home. I walked away after that, my hands in my pockets.

Still couldn’t figure out who I am?

I’m Lee Gikwang, an 18-year-old guy who saved the girl that I love from those crooks who were so-called used to be my brother’s mob.

And that was probably one of the reasons why he taught me how to stand up for myself.

Through fighting.


Okay, so I lied. I updated this a week after the planned date. Sorry? :) things were heating up at school and baaah, no choice. Hopefully this is good enough for you, it's kinda long. I think? LOL. Comments pretty please! And thank you for subscribing lovely people~ :)

-