Crashing

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

14th November 2024

 

Jiyoon pushes Sohyun and Hongbin a talisman each, “here’s wishing you all the best in the national exam tomorrow.”

Then she pushes them an envelope each, “and here are our sincere well wishes.”

“Thank you unnie,” Sohyun says as she forces a smile.

“It’s not just me, it’s everyone. Anyway, on to more practical things, how do you want to go to the exam venue tomorrow? Do you want me to fetch you’ll, or do you want to go by yourself.”

Hongbin raises his hand subconsciously, “I’ll go by myself. Don’t worry noona, I’ll be fine, but can you please make sure that I’m up in time?”

Jiyoon nods, patting his shoulder comfortingly.

“Thanks noona, you’re the best,” he whispers.

“Unnie, can you fetch me?”

“Of course, Sohyunnie,” Jiyoon replies while ruffling her hair.

 

---

 

 

15th November 2024

 

“Don’t worry noona,” Hakyeon reassures as he reaches out to grab Jiyoon’s hand, “they’ll be fine. Three of us emerged just fine, they’ll be just fine too.”

Jiyoon’s not going to say it, but she knows, she knows that Hakyeon really shouldn’t be one to say that.

“Don’t worry,” Taekwoon adds, but the concern is not as well hidden in his expression compared to Hakyeon.

Jiyoon just eats the rest of her breakfast.

 

-

 

“Hi noona!” shrieks Hongbin over the phone.

“Hello.”

“It’s over!” he hollers into the phone, and Jiyoon has to pull the phone away from her ear.

“How was it?”

“Ah noona!” Hongbin whines, “I don’t want to think about it now. I’m going out with my friends to play, then we’re going to check results later at night! Don’t worry about me!”

“Have a good time.”

 

-

 

“Unnie?” Sohyun whispers into the phone.

“Yes dear?”

“I’m going to check results with my friends later at school. I’ll be back later.”

“Are you okay, Sohyunnie?”

“Yeah, I just…want to check results by myself. And when I get home later, unnie, can you please not ask me about the results.”

“Okay, don’t worry too much. Take care Sohyunnie.”

“Thanks unnie.”

 

-

 

Hakyeon shrugs as he tangles his legs with Taekwoon’s, “it’s just three of us, noona?”

“Your hyung is apparently very busy with work right now. Sohyun and Hongbin wanted to check their answers in school, but you probably know that already. Oh, and Sohyun said not to ask about results, so yeah, don’t. Hyuna, she’ll be back later.”

“Luckily I didn’t buy food to cook hotpot.”

Hakyeon huffs, “I thought that maybe Hongbinnie would have come back.”

“Apparently you thought wrong, because it looks like he’s out having a blast with his friends right now,” Taekwoon retorts.

“Still, it’s better to be prepared than to have nothing to celebrate with! To think I kept thinking of how we were going to celebrate and in the end, none of them are back.”

Jiyoon chuckles, “to be fair, only you and Taekwoon-ah came back.”

“No wonder noona wasn’t even concerned about what to eat at all,” Hakyeon pauses, “we’ll just think of something is not good enough for a celebratory meal at all.”

“Precisely because it isn’t a celebratory meal. In fact it’s more lonely than normal.”

“Why?” Hakyeon challenges, “is having noona and I around not enough? Who’s most concerned about you? Who treats you the best?”

Taekwoon can’t even pretend to be angry, “you know that I don’t mean that.”

 

 

---

 

 

2017

Hyunsoo takes one look at Hwajae practicing his acting in his room, then mumbles, “why do you even bother anymore? It’s not like you’re going to get another role before our contract expires.”

“What else can I do?” Hwajae asks, tired and defeated, “there’s nothing else I can do.”

Hyunsoo jumps in surprise, wondering if Hwajae had indeed heard him, or whether it was part of the script that he appeared to the practicing.

“Why don’t you come in?” Hwajae invites Hyunsoo in, throwing the script on his bed, “I don’t think standing at the door is very appealing.”

“So, what are your plans for the future?”

Hwajae looks at Hyunsoo, scoffs sadly, then quirks one shoulder upwards, “I’ve said what I’ve wanted to say at the meeting.”

“Have you decided if you’re going to enlist?”

“I need time to think.”

Hyunsoo touches Hwajae’s arm briefly, “it’s quickly running out.”

“I don’t need you to remind me that,” Hwajae whispers, eyes soft and sad.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, come on, it’s just that, I don’t know. Are you gonna?”

“Probably. I think I could use a break, away from all this, to think about what I’m going to do next.”

“The rest?”

“Bichwi hyung has no choice. Dongbi hyung thinks it’s meaningless to go in one year later, so he’s going to. Jiyong hyung and Joonhee hyung mentioned that they were probably going to. Sigan’s been thinking about a break, so I think he’s inclined to.”

“Sigan too?”

“But really, regardless of what we do, there’s no pressure. This is a decision you have to make for yourself.”

 

Just like the deci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter