prologue

A World Alone

She felt the cooling wind breeze right past her as she sat on the rooftop of the little isolated house, her hands mimicking the shape of a gun.

Pew. Pew. Pew,” she whispered, pretending to shoot the stars above her.

She’d been shooting things that were dead for a while now.

She couldn’t help but feel that the entire night sky was her graveyard.

Pew,” she muttered as a shooting star flashed by it.

She set her hands down and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She tried to listen to the relaxing sounds that nature had to offer. But they were overpowered by the sound of static.

Kai’s static.

As annoying as the sound was, it was soothing to her and it made her feel safe.

It assured her that he was there.

He wasn’t gone like the others.

This is what she did during the night these days.

She’d sit on the roof shooting stars and listening to the static, as well as Kai’s footsteps as he paced around the small living room.

Out in the distance she saw the light of a lamp post flicker before completely shutting off and one by one the lights that illuminated the empty road died.

She watched and shot them with her imaginary gun.

Pew. Pew. Pew.

She did it until she stopped hearing the static, and instead started hearing Kai’s panicked voice as he rushed out the door.

“Krystal!” he shouted and she saw him let out a sigh of relief when she gave him a little wave.

“The power finally went out,” she stated as he climbed up the ladder that was leaning against the house. “Now we’re as good as dead.”

Kai sat down next to her and wrapped his arms around her.

“You know, you’re too young to be so sad,” he said.

She took a breath before speaking because she knew if she didn’t she’d start crying again.

“Kai, there is nothing to be happy about. Everyone is gone.”

A tear managed to escape and she let out a shaky breath.

For a moment, there was a silence. And Kai, as he usually does, broke it.

“Not everyone,” he whispered. “You and I are still here, and we will be for a long time. I’ll make sure of it. I promise you Krys, I will never let anything happen to you.”

She looked up at him and tangled her hand with his.

“Your optimism kills me,” she said and a small grin appeared on both of their faces.

“And your pessimism inspires me,” he pointed out.

She giggled a bit and slightly shook her head.

“So, I guess it’s time to rummage through the house for lighters. I mean, it’s not like we didn’t know this would happen eventually, right?” he nodded. “Alright then,” she stood up, “let’s get to it,” and she climbed down the ladder.

Kai followed and was able to grab her arm before she made it inside.

She raised an eyebrow and he pulled out an iPod.

“I have enough battery to play at least one song, and seeing as I won’t be able to recharge it; I would like to dance with you, right here, right now.”

She smiled and nodded.

Kai grinned and pressed play.

A beautiful, soft melody was emitted from the device and Kai captured her in his arms as they swayed to the rhythm.

Krystal looked up at him and smiled.

This moment was perfect.

Just two people.

Dancing.

In a world alone.