Final

Hot Cocoas and Dream Catchers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dark, grey clouds loomed overhead as Jessica went out of her house and closed the gate, preparing to go to school. She huffed as she pulled her jacket closer to her, trying to save the rest of the heat from escaping her body as she trudged along the sidewalk. A thunderstorm's coming. She just knew it. Then again, she didn't care. She liked it this way.

-

As a girl at the age of seventeen, she never knew how the world could be so cruel to her. How, at a young age, she had to experience seeing her parents fight and argue, even among the smallest of things. How, she would always see her mother drunk, her breath reeking of booze and soju, her cheeks flushed red as she cursed on how useless Jessica was. How, she had to see her parents get a divorce. How, she had to take care of krystal alone. How, she had to be independent, cause she can't rely on anybody. How, nobody wanted to talk to her. How, she had to take part-time jobs to support the family. How, she fails her classes. How, she was sick and tired of living. How much she wanted to die. Nobody knew.

-

Jessica kicked a pebble out of the way as thunderclouds began forming. A sharp flash of lightning. A sudden roar of thunder.

 

Jessica smiled.

 

Everything was a nightmare.

 

But in reality, what is considered not?

 

-

Sleepless nights. Something Jessica hated. For her, it seems that bad things never stop to haunt her. In her dreams, and while she is awake. Everything was a mess. She hated waking up with a jolt, sweatbeads forming over her brows, as she got over a nightmare. She hated sleeping, not knowing what happens after. She hated uncertainty. She wanted a concrete answer. And that's what she got. That reality is a .

-

Jessica walked into the classroom, an indifferent aura surrounding her. Silence followed her. Stares continued in her direction. People started to whisper. Snickers followed while they were looking at her. Bull. She glanced at the wall clock. '6:55. I made it in time.' She sat down at the far corner seat at the back of the class. With her chin planted on her hand, she looked out the window. And she stayed that way throughout the class, not bothering about the lectures of the professor, nor the sound of paper being ripped, the scribbling of pens on blank paper, and a pair of dark orbs looking at her. 

-

6:00 pm

Jessica stayed behind at school. The campus was dark; empty. But she called it where she truly belongs. She doesn't have a home to go back to, anyways. But if there was anything that Jessica liked in this crappy world, it has got to be painting.She accepted ridicule, words of displeasure. After all, this kept her alive. This lets her breathe. This lets her be herself. Sitting down on the chair of the empty canteen, she laid a blank canvas on the table and started getting out her supplies. Her paintings have never lost its vibrance as much as she lost the life in her. She sat down quietly, and continued to paint, the dark clouds already more prominent than before.

"." She cursed in a breath. The color blue was used up. It was her favorite. Packing up her belongings, she walked out the canteen and the school to the nearby paints supply shop. She quickly got what she wanted, knowing how people are always rushing in when the clock ticks eight o-clock. Pushing the glass doors open, she was met with an old lady. Probably in her 50's.' she thought.

"Anything giving you problems, miss?" The woman said with her hoarse voice. A shiver ran down Jessica's spine.

"No. Not at all. So if you would just let me leave-"

"Having nightmares?" "Insomnia?"

Jessica was freaked out. She never expected to meet anyone who sounds like she had known her for so long. It's not right. Nothing is making sense. Jessica could only eye the woman in wonder, gaping as the woman continued to talk once again.

"Want to buy this dreamcatcher?" Sicko. All sense of reasoning eluded Jessica's mind. "Huh, now they use old people to trick children too. Am i that gullible? Pfft. A dreamcatcher? Sold by an old hobo? No thanks.'

"I don't have nightmares, I ain't got insomnia. So just PLEASE leave me alone.

"Oh really. I'll just give it you then. Consider it a charm." The woman said, as she stuck the item in Jessica's bag. 

"And yeah. I'll take this snack as payment. I know you don't mind." The woman said as she reached for the peppero snack in Jessica's backpack deftly, and with a smile, her heels.

"What the just happened? Is this a scam?" Jessica grew impatient. Everything was going wrong. She went all the way back to the campus, and planted herself down the seat to paint, not minding the consistent buzzing of her phone with the caller name: mother. After a few minutes of painting, the work was almost complete. Looking at it with satisfaction, Jessica felt her eyelids grow heavy, sleep eluding her senses.Then, everything went black.

-

The slight pitter-patter of the rain woke Jessica up from her slumber. She moved her hand in her backpack, searching for the dreamcatcher. Seeing nothing, she proceeded to take out all her things, one by one. None. 'Was that all a dream? What... Should i pinch myself or something like that? Nah. Too painful. It must have been a dream. A long, tiring, annoying dream. Well, so much for that, Jung Jessica. Let's get back to reality.' She glanced at her phone. 9:30 pm. Twenty missed calls from krystal. Ten messages from her mom. It's freezing cold. She needs to get home. A small clearing of throat alerted Jessica. She looked to her right to see a tall woman with long raven hair. 

"Umm. Hi. I'm Kwon Yuri-"

"What are you doing here?! Everyone should have left hours ago!" Jessica asked, as she glared at the woman, who, being too afraid of eye contact, only managed to look down.

"I-i just came to look at you- I-ii mean, I'm not stalking or anything. You're just really pretty. I-i mean- gosh I'm so sorry." The woman said as she prepared to leave but was stopped by the sound of Jessica sneezing.

"Hey, you alright?" Yuri asked as she looked back to Jessica, seeing her scrunching her nose up, her face flushed from embarrassment.

Pause.

Another sneeze.

"Bless you." Yuri said, trying to hide her smile. 

"Excuse me. Sorry." Jessica said as she stood up about to leave, when a hand grabbed hers, stopping her in her tracks.

"Ummmm. H-how do I say this... you know, I'm n-not sure you want to, but if you want to stop yourself from sneezing, say pineapple a lot of times quickly. I-iis it awkward? It's wierd right? Ummm.. y-you can forget about it.. y-you want something warm to drink?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter