one of one

Starlight Coffee

Two cups of coffee, just the two of them and the couch. It was almost a routine, save for days after heavy schedules when Jaehwan prefers snuggling in the bed for an extra hour or two.

Mornings on free days, it was always just the two of them. Jaehwan always wakes up early, and ever since that one time he woke Taekwoon up to have coffee with him, Taekwoon always made it a point to wake up early enough to have their little time alone together. On days where Jaehwan just wanted to sleep in, Taekwoon would go back to sleep and wake up in the afternoon. And so, Jaehwan knows that Taekwoon doesn't actually drink the coffee for the sake of drinking it, and he is thankful.

If he might admit, he has this tiny little crush on his Taekwoon-hyung. Yes, he thought, just a tiny little one. He can't help but feel special when Taekwoon does all these little gestures just for him; initiating skinship, taking his drink just because he doesn't like the flavour, simply going out of his way to spend time together.

They have a kind of peculiar relationship. They are not together like their leader and rapper or visual and maknae, despite everything Taekwoon does for Jaehwan that seems so unlike his usual self. Jaehwan is admittedly a little upset, but he's content with what they are now.

That is, until their morning coffee dates became less frequent since Taekwoon was always going out to have breakfast with Yixing.

One morning, Jaehwan woke up as usual to find Taekwoon already gone. His heart sank, but then he scoffs at himself. Taekwoon did so much for him, and he did nothing. They're not even together or anything. What right did he have to feel jealous? He felt a sting in his heart, and tears threatened to fall, so he just let them flow.

He heard the door open with a click and then close. He could tell Taekwoon was changing from the sounds, and he was getting all these damned feels when Taekwoon lets out a long sigh.

"Jaehwan-ah, have you eaten?" Jaehwan inwardly sighs. He knows that Taekwoon knows he's awake, so he doesn't pretend to sleep.

"No, I'm not hungry," Jaehwan replies. His voice is nasal from all the crying, and Taekwoon doesn't miss that.

"Why is your voice like that?" Taekwoon asks as he goes over to take a look at Jaehwan. He silently gasps, "Why did you cry?"

Jaehwan weakly replies, "I didn't..."

"Okay, you didn't... But tell me about it when you're ready."

Jaehwan smiles genuinely as he is extremely grateful that Taekwoon doesn't probe any further.

Taekwoon leaves Jaehwan alone in the room to do whatever, Jaehwan doesn't know.

Jaehwan's mind wanders off to think about Taekwoon and Yixing being together. Yixing was talented, kind, sweet, caring, and not loud and annoying like Jaehwan. Taekwoon deserved someone wonderful like that. He was the perfect boyfriend that Jaehwan never was, and would never be.

A blast of music broke Jaehwan's train of thought. He looked at his phone. He usually wouldn't pick up a call from an unknown number, but this voice in his head told him to.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Jaehwan?"

"Yes, may I know who's calling?"

"Ah yes, I'm Junmyeon."

"Ahhhh Junmyeon-hyung! What's the matter?"

"So, you see, I think your boyfriend has been meeting up with Yixing a little too much these days."

"... My boyfriend?"

"Isn't Taekwoon your boyfriend?"

Jaehwan doesn't know if he should feel honoured, or sad that it wasn't true.

"Nah, hyung, he's not," Jaehwan chuckles lightly.

"Oh... And I thought I was observant to notice all those little interactions, haha. Guess I was wrong."

"Wait, hyung, you're dating Yixing-hyung?"

"... Um, yes, I am, haha. And the problem is Yixing refuses to tell me what he talks to Taekwoon about!"

Jaehwan heard something shattering on the other end of the phone.

"... Aishh SEHUN! CAN YOU BE LESS CLUMSY?- Sorry, seems like I have to go teach my kids a lesson now, just tell Taekwoon to stop meeting with Yixing!! Bye! YAH KIDS-"

Jaehwan chuckled at the catastrophe happening on the other side. He thanked the heavens that Sanghyuk was nothing less than careful in handling things.

Then he remembered what Junmyeon said about his interactions with Taekwoon. He wouldn't fault Junmyeon for misunderstanding because he himself thought they were something special, too.

And then he realised, since the Yixing-hyung he knew wasn't going to cheat on Junmyeon, that means he still stands a chance with Taekwoon, right?

He paused momentarily, then sighed. He figured Taekwoon would have done something already if he really thought of Jaehwan that way. Jaehwan was probably nothing more than a favourite dongsaeng.

Jaehwan's thoughts were once again interrupted by Taekwoon entering the room. He recalled Junmyeon's request over the phone.

"Hyung, Junmyeon-hyung called just now. He told you to stop hanging out with Yixing-hyung so much," Jaehwan casually said.

Taekwoon just nodded, "I'm meeting him one last time this Friday."

Jaehwan nodded in reply as he made a mental note.

Taekwoon stealthily joined Jaehwan on his bed and hugged him tightly from behind like a bolster. 

Jaehwan was surprised, but he just turned to glance at Taekwoon, "Hyung, what are you doing?"

Taekwoon just sighed contentedly. Jaehwan unconsciously smiled and relaxed into Taekwoon's embrace. Jaehwan felt soft lips brushing against the back of his neck lightly, with just enough force to feel it. Jaehwan noted that was probably how heaven felt like.

Taekwoon got up, sending Jaehwan back to Earth. He announced that he was going to take a shower.

In the meantime, Jaehwan decided he should do something for Taekwoon when he returns from his shower.

"Hyung, lie stomach down on the bed!"

"Why?"

"Just do it," Jaehwan pushes Taekwoon along until he flops on the bed.

Jaehwan was unexpectedly good at giving massages, and Taekwoon enjoyed it so much he let out moans of pleasure.

Jaehwan felt something fluttering in him, "Hyung, can you not..."

"But ahh- you're good at it," Taekwoon managed to say.

That's not the only thing I'm good at, Jaehwan thought with a smirk. Realising belatedly how inappropriate that was, his cheeks heated up and he mentally facepalmed. But well, it wasn't once or twice that he had such thoughts about Taekwoon.

It didn't help that Taekwoon stayed shirtless for the next hour or so.

-

Jaehwan woke up to an empty room. Oh, right, it was Friday morning. That meant Taekwoon was out meeting Yixing. Jaehwan decided he would have coffee by himself anyway.

Contrary to what one might assume, Taekwoon liked his coffee really sweet like caramel mocha, while Jaehwan liked it mildly sweet. He preferred something like latte, not too sweet but not bitter either.

But none of that mattered, because they only have instant coffee in the dorm, and Jaehwan wasn't going to sit in a cafe alone.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

"Junmyeon-hyung? What brings you here?" Jaehwan asked, pleasantly surprised.

"Oh, Jaehwan-ah, I'm here for you! Ah, you see, I was nearby and wanted to drop by to see if you wanted to have breakfast together?" Junmyeon smiled. 

Jaehwan thought it was suspicious because he wasn't that close with Junmyeon, but he wasn't going to turn him down since his hyung took the trouble to look for him.

"Sure, let me grab my shoes," Jaehwan smiled back.

"Okay, Junmyeon said coast clear!" Yixing said, looking at his phone.

"Let's go then," Taekwoon annouced.

They headed to the dorm, and Taekwoon realised one problem. The other four were sure to be ers. Knowing Wonshik was the only mature one that he could trust, he told him to get everyone out of the dorm until lunch time.

From: Kim Wonshik
You owe me one.

To: Kim Wonshik
Thanks.

After wrestling with the bulky and heavy coffee machine for an extended period of time, it was finally working.

"Great! Now you just have to send him the song," Yixing said cheerfully.

Taekwoon took a deep breath and puffed.

"Take a chill pill, man. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale."

Taekwoon did as Yixing said, and his thumb trembled as it reached for the 'Send' button.

-

Jaehwan's phone lit up as he received a new message. On a closer look, it was an audio file from Taekwoon.

Another message came, saying, "For you. Listen to it now. With earphones."

"What is it?" Junmyeon asked casually, albeit knowing very well what it was already.

"Taekwoon-hyung sent me an audio file... Hyung, do you happen to have earphones?"

Junmyeon dug in his pockets, and handed his earphones to Jaehwan, "Here."

"Thanks!"

Jaehwan plugged in the earphones and pressed play. The acoustic guitar blended in perfectly with the piano. Taekwoon started singing, and Jaehwan smiled. He knew those lyrics by heart, it was their song. The melody though, was not quite the same although it did resemble the original.

You’re a dream that’s more mysterious than the twinkling starlight 
You’re a dream that swallows me up like a rough wave

Jaehwan was still smiling as the piano outro faded out. Taekwoon just sang him a love song. Over a recording, but still.

"What's got you all smiley like this?"

Jaehwan removed the earphones and handed them back to Junmyeon. "Taekwoon-hyung sang me a song," he couldn't stop smiling.

"Really? That's sweet of him. Unlike Yixing, why doesn't he sing me anything?!" Junmyeon faked a sad face. Both of them end up laughing.

"Anyway, I think we should head back to your dorm. I want to visit the other members too."

Jaehwan agreed and they make their way back.

Meanwhile, Junmyeon had been sending live updates to Yixing all along.

-

"Oh, hyung! They're on their way back already!"

Taekwoon just nodded, he was getting nervous already. He wiped his hands on his pants, hoping to dry his sweaty palms.

"They're downstairs!! Inhale, exhale!!" Yixing said a little too excitedly while trying to calm Taekwoon down.

The door swung open and Jaehwan's eyes widened.

"Yixing-hyung? What are you doing here?"

"Hello, please take a seat here," Yixing smiled as he gestured for Jaehwan to follow him.

Jaehwan's eyes were still wide, blinking in confusion and he was completely lost.

Taekwoon suddenly appeared from the kitchen, wearing a white dress shirt and black dress pants, completed with a vest. The only word Jaehwan could use to describe it was "handsome".

"Hello, I will be your barista for the day. Please relax while I prepare your latte," Taekwoon bowed.

Jaehwan mumbled, still confused, "... What's happening..."

Yixing and Junmyeon were trying so hard to hold in their laughter at a corner.

Taekwoon re-emerged from the kitchen with a cup of latte. He served it to Jaehwan, and took a seat across the table.

Jaehwan looked at the latte. There was latte art done, and he would have expected something like a heart, but instead it was a star.

"Wow, hyung, you made this by yourself?"

"You don't say."

Jaehwan chuckled, "That's impressive. But why a star?"

"What was the song I sang in the recording?"

Oh, that. Jaehwan blushed furiously as he realised Taekwoon was doing all these things just for him.

"Hyung... you don't have to do all this."

"Listen, Jaehwan-ah. You are my starlight. You're always full of energy, you shine everywhere you go, you're always there for me, and most importantly..."

Taekwoon covered his face in embarrassment for what he was about to say. As Yixing always said, inhale, exhale. His face was already flushed and he finally mustered up the courage.

"Most importantly... I love you."

Jaehwan's heart was pounding hard against his chest and he totally had no idea how to react.

"Hyung..."

"Jaehwan-ah... May I have the honour of becoming your starlight too?"

Jaehwan was beaming and just so overwhelmed with feels and he just couldn't stop smiling.

"No," Jaehwan said while still smiling like an idiot.

Taekwoon stared blankly at Jaehwan, and Jaehwan looked right back at him.

"Can't you be the sunlight instead?" Jaehwan couldn't resist it, and Taekwoon was indeed smiling as bright as the sun.

Yixing and Junmyeon started cheering.

"Congrats! Hyung, your efforts didn't go to waste!" Yixing grinned.

"Yes, congratulations! We should get going now, bye!" Junmyeon half-shouted as he dragged Yixing out of the door.

"Thanks!" The new couple shouted back.

Taekwoon shook his head at Jaehwan, "Can you upgrade your sense of humour?"

"Hyunnggg~ You like it anyway, don't you?" Jaehwan giggled.

Taekwoon just knocked his head.

"Anyway, thank you so much for everything. You didn't have to do all this for me. So this was why you kept meeting with Yixing-hyung?"

"Anything for my starlight. Yeah, he helped with guitars for the acoustic remix of Starlight. And some of the time was spent learning to make latte."

Jaehwan latched onto Taekwoon's arm and rested his head on Taekwoon's shoulder.

"Hyung, you're the best~ Oh, remember the time you found me crying?"

Taekwoon nodded.

"I thought you were dating Yixing-hyung and I was just so... affected. Sad. Depressed." Jaehwan pouted.

Taekwoon chuckled, "Stupid."

Jaehwan suddenly had an idea.

"Remember you said I was good at massaging?"

Taekwoon nodded.

"I think there's something I can do better in," Jaehwan smirked.

Taekwoon blinked at Jaehwan, and his face turned red.

"Wow, what are you thinking of?" Jaehwan chuckled.

Taekwoon attempted to glare at Jaehwan, "So what can you do better?"

Jaehwan inched closer and closer towards Taekwoon until their noses were touching. Wrapping one hand around the back of Taekwoon's neck and the other around his lower back, Jaehwan whispered against the other's lips, "This."

And they closed the distance. Jaehwan could taste the overly sweet coffee Taekwoon probably had before he made the latte. He didn't mind it. He had wanted this so badly since forever.

They finally pulled apart to catch their breaths.

"You know, I think your lips would do good elsewhere too," Taekwoon muttered, lust clear in his eyes.

Jaehwan bit Taekwoon's earlobe and Taekwoon shivered from the hot breath, "Your starlight at your service, hyuunggg~"


A/N:

Yes. I'm sorry to disappoint D:
I wasn't even satisfied with this story, so why am I even posting it lol.
I don't know. I just feel like it.
I hope at least one person likes it though. 
That's good enough for me :)
I think I'll be writing another Keo oneshot soon, but a slice of life kind.
Whatever. Thanks for sticking till the end :)

-jungbros