-

The First Snow

'........Forever is just a word......'

 

 

 

"Why are you sulking all day?" The gentle voice of mom hit me like a tidal wave. Her voice was subtle, but I have sank in silence for quite a long time. She pulled me back down to earth after I've been building castle in the clouds. "It has been forever. Forever since this place had snowed." I broke my gaze from the view outside my window and fixed it on my mom's face. "I wanna play with snow right now! I want to play so badly!" Mom shook her head with a warm smile carved on her sweet face. 'What could I expect from a growing, 8 year old boy?' That is probably what she must has been thinking. "Forever is just a word, honey. It will snow soon. Just be patient."

Mom picked up the laundry basket from the corner of the bedroom. The clothes were muddy and stinky. She looked at me with her left eyebrow raised. The question 'May you explain what happened?' is written all over her face. "It-it-it was brother's idea .... to play in the mud. He said 'it's snow in soil form'." Again mom shook her head. "You're too close to your brother. I can't imagine .... if you're separated one day," mom left the room with the laundry basket. Se had a worried tone when she was finishing the last sentence. But that won't happen. Brother could do anything except leaving me alone! Sometimes he clings onto me too often, it makes me sick. But brother is brother. There's nothing about my stepbrother that I would change. ==============================

"Taozhi! Taozhi! Look out your window! Hurry!" Once again, I was daydreaming. This time, another familiar voice woke me up. "What?!" I shouted back at my brother. From what I heard, his voice came from outside. How loud can his voice get? I stuck my head out of the window and looked upon him. He was smiling merrily. "What is it?" He pointed to the sky "It's finally snowing! Taozhi, it's snowing! We can play now!" My eyes were filled with astonishment. The sky was pouring snowflakes. The sky has darken a bit but nevertheless, the sun was still beaming golden rays. Before the ground is fully covered with snow, I ran downstairs to my brothers, grabbing my jacket and mittens along the way. I have been waiting for so long for this moment to come again. I opened the door and looked for my brother. he was not there anymore. I was at panic. Where did he go? Why is he missing? I started to shout "Brother? Brother?! Yifa--!" Before I could finish shouting brother's name, a snowball hit the back of my head. I turned around, and there he is. He was holding another snowball in his palms with a cheeky smile on his face. "I told you not to call me Yifan. You must call me brother at all cost," he said. I ran to him and hugged him tightly. Since he is 3 years older, he is definitely taller. My face were buried in his flat chest. "Whatever Yifan. As long as you're here with me," I giggled.

He pressed the other snowball onto my head and slightly pushed me away. "If you think that would make me lose to you on purpose for our snowball fight, you're dead wrong." I looked at him one more time before I started chasing him. Brother is real quick at picking up snow from the ground which is now fully covered with snow, but I'm a faster runner. I chased after my brother around the house. Every now and then, I would get hit with snowballs. Every time brother throws a snowball at me, I would slow down and brother would get further away. I breathed in a heavy breath and locked my eyes on him. With a giant leap, I pounced on brother and pinned him to the ground. The air was filled with our laughter as I smudged some snow on brother's head. He pulled me down and got on top of me, tickling my torso. We wrestled in the snow a bit, before we both laid down on our backs, making snow angels. My ears were getting frostbite as I have forgotten to wear my earmuffs. I breathed out warm breath on my palms before covering my ears. Brother must have saw that. He took of his earmuffs and placed it on my head. "You have to take care of yourself. What if I'm not around to look after you?"

"That won't happen, right brother?" Brother did not answer me. The sky was turning dark and the sun has started to disappear. Mom called out to us, said that dinner is almost ready. Brother took my hand and walked me in. Mom had made us some hot chocolate. I hung around the kitchen while brother took a shower. "I told you forever is just a word. If you're patient enough, you'll get what you want," I nodded at mom. I love this kind of moment. "But we didn't get to play a snowball fight." "I thought I saw both of you running around chasing each other and fight in the snow" "More like brother throws snowballs at me while I chase him around like a maniac. I want a proper snowball fight, with our own forts and everything." "We can play that tomorrow morning. Okay?" Brother walked into the kitchen, wearing his favorite pajama. My face lighten up to hear that. "Promise?"

"Promise"

===========================

Mom made fried rice for dinner. Brother sat beside me and mom sat in front of us. I looked at the chair where dad supposed to sit, the main chair at the end of the dining table. "Will dad join us for dinner, mom?" I asked.

"He'll be home in any moment. But eat your dinner first. It might get cold by the time he reach home," mom answered. Just as she finished her sentence, the front door opened and dad walked in, tired. I have always been afraid of dad whenever he comes home tired and hungry. Never get in between a man when he is angry -or hungry.

"Welcome home, dad!" Brother spoke. He is not that scared of dad, in fact, he knows just what to say to please him. I have to admit I am quite envy of brother. It is impossible for me to impress dad, but brother makes it look effortless. Dad took a seat and mom put some rice in his plate. "How's work?" mom tried to break the silent. Dad growled as he devour his food. I know where this is going to lead. He will start to complain about his work and mom would try to give advice. They have been fighting a lot recently. I don't understand why.

"Remember... what I said the other day?" mom tried to ask hesitantly. Dad's face went red. "I can't believe you dare to bring that topic up in front of the kids!" dad yelled. "I am trying to converse with you! Sooner or later, they have to know it too!" mom shouted back.

"They have nothing to do with this! Leave them alone!" Mom got up,furious, and went to the kitchen. Dad tailed her behind. He did not look like he would give up easily. They screamed and yelled. "It has to be done!" "There must be another way!" Mom would yell her thoughts and dad would assure her otherwise. Their words were unclear that I started to hear only furious screams, as if they were fighting over who could scream the loudest. It made me scared and I shivered with fear. I have seen dad broke a chair and threw a vase, and mom would cry and start swearing. From what it looks like, our perfect little family is on the verge of breaking up. Brother held my hand tight, "Let's go for a walk."