Friday 금요일에 만나요

How does she even...? 이 여자 도대체 뭐야?

Jieun-ah"

She turned around. Her eyes scanning through the empty kitchen, as if she was looking for something. With a flamboyant smile carved upon her face, she picked up knife and started spreading butter on her toast. 

"La la la la la la la la la la la la la la..." She hummed. I can't help but notice that she was awfully cheerful today. Was it because it's Friday?

She finished smearing her toast with butter and brought it to the table to enjoy her wonderful breakfast on a nice winter morning. White crystals descending from the heavens, with ample sunlight brightening up the cheery winter morning. Nature thrives at its peak and all you would want to do was to turn yourself in to beauty's glance. Starring outside the window would just nonetheless enrich that smile upon your face. And that's just what she did! She shoved a small piece of buttered toast into as she continued to feel at one with nature. Nevertheless, her radiant smile was still dazzling although being sandwiched by her pair of cute dimples. 

"Yah Jieun-ah! Where's my breakfast?" 

There I was, glaring at her with my big and y eyes. I tried to attract her attention by giving her an adorable and irresistible wink, but for the 1532517th time, I was ignored once again. She carried on munching down that piece of unfinished toast, while her eyes glued to the breathtaking scenery portrayed upon the window panes. She knows that I never stop teasing her for eating like a pig, but who is she to care. The carefree Jieun continues devouring her toast as every single crumb of bread on her plate willingly swims down her oesophagus. I starred at her nasty eating habits with disgust, but she was not even bothered. After swallowing the last piece of toast, she gave an abrupt giggle which simple scared the wits out of me.

So who am I? The name's Jang Yi-Jeong and I've known this girl since we were on stilts. Yes, we lived in the same house, but no, never the same room. A guy needs his private space too you know! So we've been living together since we were babies, and for your information we were even born on the same day! Amusing, right? Yet, she was born seconds before me, mere seconds...

So were we twins? No, we weren't... (AND NO I WAS NOT ADOPTED)

After breakfast, she picked up her guitar and started playing the song I wrote for her. It was a soothing and cheerful song played on the acoustic guitar, but yet somehow I haven't decided on the title yet... 

월요일엔 아마 바쁘지 않을까 (You're probably busy on Monday)
화요일도 성급해 보이지 안 그래 (Tuesday seems too soon, don't you think?)
수요일은 뭔가 어정쩡한 느낌 (Wednesday feels kinda awkward)                                                                                                                                        목요일은 그냥 내가 왠지 싫어(For some reason I just don't like Thursday)

She sang the lyrics I wrote while strumming and plucking the guitar. It was a typical A Major tune played on the acoustic guitar, with some relatively easy chords such as B Minor VII, E Major, C# Minor and F# Minor. The typical song with a double dominant to dominant key, dominant key of the relative key back to the relative key and ultimately back to Chord I (A Major). 

Hold on! Where's the accompaniment? Neh, I got it covered. I rushed to my keyboard and started scraping out some notes which really seemed to fit perfectly with the melody. All i had to do was to sustain the harmony and fluency of the melody and it worked fine. Although I felt as if I was merely playing second fiddle to her, I foresee the start of a beautiful duet with me playing base to her exquisite high-pitched vocals. 

A sudden and abrupt creak popped out and just before you know it her guitar string was torn. 

'Dang it!" she cursed. Without hesitation, she headed upstairs to find a new string for her guitar. Just as she was about to reach out for a brand new guitar string in her closet, her phone rang. I wasn't bothered to sneak on her conversation on the phone, but her radiant smile evidently shone more dazzlingly after she hung up the phone. She was so excited that she gave a high-pitched squeak and rushed into her room to get her makeup done. 

Anyone could have guessed. It's that boy she likes so much... What's his name again?
Arghh never mind.

As I mentioned before, being carefree was one of her particular virtues, but it was one of her weaknesses too. Silly her! As she was so hyped up to meet that guy, she had actually forgotten to turn of the gas as all the water in the kettle had already turned into steam. I,for sure am not going to turn it off, but I'll convey this message to her with my telepathy skills. That's my job right?

(I'm not kidding about having telepathy....)

"Omo" I heard a loud screech coming from upstairs as she hurried down to turn off the gas. "어떡해? 어떡해?(What to do? What to do?)" She was left panicking when the doorbell suddenly rang.

"왔어? (He's here?)" she muffled. She ran to the door and welcomed her darling and they went out shortly after that. The living room was left with an eerie silence. 

"How forgetful of her!" I lamented as she had already gone out. The carefree and not to mention careless Jieun had actually forgotten to clean up the mess she made. Eventually, the dirty work would be on me anyways. I breathed a short sigh of disbelief as I headed for the kitchen to make things back to the way it was. She owes me a lot for this...

Seriously, despite living with her for 20 years, she still acts like a forgetful child, and I have always been the parent to clean up after her. Truthfully, I like her very much, but I can't help but feel that I've been doomed in the friendzone for far too long. 

As I finished tidying up the kitchen, I went back into the living room to finish up on the song. Since today is Friday, why not just call the song "Friday". I mean, the first four lines have been about the first four days of the week, so why not just focus on the fifth day while we're here. So, I continued to label the words "금요일" on the tip of the paper, but after some scrutiny, I figured "Friday" sounds rather boring. I brainstormed for more ideas but the results were nil. 

All of a sudden, I felt a tingly and prickly sensation prickling on my body. To my discomfort, I stood up and gazed upon my surroundings but nothing was to be found. "What if the source of discomfort isn't from a physical source, but from inside of me?" I pondered. Maybe, I was envious of that guy being together with Jieun on a perfect Friday evening. How I'd wish I was in his place! 

Then, it hit me. Since I was so eager to be dating Jieun on a Friday, why not call the song "금요일에 만나요 (See you Friday)"? That was pure genius!!

I felt blood racing through my veins as I was struck with an overdose of Eureka! My pencil was swaying gracefully on the piece of paper I wrote the lyrics on. It wrote: 

우~ 이번 주 금요일(woo~ This Friday)
우~ 금요일에 시간 어때요 (How about this Friday?)
딱히 보고 싶은 영화는 없지만( Although there's no particular movie I'd prefer to watch)
딱히 먹고 싶은 메뉴는 없지만 (Although there's no particular meal I'd want to have)

주말까지 기다리긴 힘들어(It's too hard to wait till the weekend)
시간아 달려라 시계를 더 보채고 싶지만 (Time please go faster, I wanna rush the clock)

How I'd wish I could break free of the friendzone....


My clock shows that it's now 8 o'clock. I'm sitting outside this trendy Italian restaurant enviously gazing upon Jieun's date with that guy. Contradictorily, it was such romantic scene when the guy fed Jieun a slice of her favourite pizza. Ohmigod! They even shared the same fork while dining on their pasta! Unknowingly, I began to tear up... How much longer do I even have to be locked up in the friendzone now?

"Oops!" Ki Yong muttered as a drip of sauce dropped upon Jieun's comfy white sweater. Apologetically, he dabbed a tissue and wiped the drip of sauce off her sweater. In reply, Jieun bestowed him with a fervent kiss on the lips. Soon after, you could even hear the sound of their laughter echoing across the lonely streets of Ilsan. What a loving couple they were!

My clock pointed at 9 o'clock sharp as they stepped out of the restaurant. Still, Jieun didn't notice me spying on her right from the corner. Instead, they headed straight into the alley covered with a thick layer of snow. There, their eyes met and you know what was going to happen right after that.

Did I say that the streets of Ilsan were quiet? Well I stand corrected. Out of nowhere, and i mean NOWHERE, this trio of orchestra players popped out and performed a high tune which rejuvenated the dark winter night. Sparkling rays of light were abruptly which brought life back to the lonely streets of Ilsan. As if they were in a fairytale, they shared a fervent and passionate kiss as the sound of trumpets and saxophones lit up the night. It was nevertheless obvious that he already had this planned way before their date. I whined:

나 뭔가에 홀린 것 같아 (It's like something just came over me)
이 여잔 도대체 뭐야 (What is this girl even..)
사랑해주지 않고는 못 배기겠어 (I can't help but fall in love)

Seeing that he planned this deliberately and specially for her, I just couldn't deny that he was the best candidate that deserves her unconditional love. I, for one, could have done the same for her.. Or maybe even better...

Too bad, I'm just merely her subconscious...