2

The Struggle and The Sacrifice

 

 

The 8 kids grew up together from a little child. (Age order) YinRi as the youngest, only princess, Pyo as the youngest prince, Jiho as the crown prince, Kyung as the hyperactive cousin, Yukwon as the smiling, quiet cousin, Jaehyo as the clumsy cousin, Minhyuk as the active cousin, and Taeil as the oldest, baby-like cousin. They all treated YinRi like she's a jewel or a delicate artifact, bound to break if treated rough. Many believed she was tended and spoiled for more than anyone in the palace.

 

YinRi walks through the imperial garden as she reaches her own residence. The servants and slaves shower her with concerns and questions, in which she nods at without any thinking. In her mind, there was only reflections of Jiho's discussions with her. It was highly unlike her to not ask questions regarding her marriage, but the only reason is that she has figured it out herself. The only person that could be bold enough and have enough backup is their shy adoptive cousin, Kim Yukwon. The man disappeared after finding out his birth secret at the age of 15. He was the son of deceased queen and king of an exiled enemy kingdom, which makes him a prince. While he was suppose to be exiled, since he emperor once owned the deceased queen a favor for saving his life, he gave the child to the childless Kim noble family in secrecy. All was fine until he had heard a conversation between his parents about the devastating secret that would tear him apart. During the years he was gone, many officials believed he had gone to raise an army to rebel against the empire and revenge his biological parents. Now he has come back after 6 years, whatever his intentions are, YinRi's bound to make him a supporter of her brother's ascension to the throne. If he doesn't comply...the phrase “till death do us apart” as husband and wife will really be put to use.

 

YinRi is strip of her torn garments. It was made from the finest silk for the princess's wedding, but it seems the special made garment doesn't suit the princess's taste. A light cream colored dress with dimming pink flowers branching out with a pale greenery is secure tightly around her body. A pasty yellow settle around her upper body with sliver dragons. A brown color wraps around the sleeves and the collar as white cherry blossoms circle elaborates it. A jade charm is tied around her waist, just above the ribs. Her hair is tied sloppily into a bun with a silk cloth and a jade hair stick pokes through, leaving a few strands of dangly pearls hanging in the air. A matching necklace hangs around her thin, long neck. She has short hair for most girls of the time, so it's harder to create elegant hairstyles with it.. Her hair is long enough just to stop at the end of her shoulder blades.

 

As much as she hates wearing hanboks, a promise is a promise. She vows to have as little bloodshed as possible in helping her brother to the throne. She hates the crimson liquid more than anything in this world. She hates death more than living as a princess. As she stared into the mirror, her governess paces back and forth in distress. YinRi still could not believe she was to be married tonight. And even worst, to a man she once showed great affection to, that left his family and friends for several years and came back for her hand. Is he still the playful, smiling boy or has he gone cold?

 

“Oh! Your highness, the empress and emperor will be greatly furious at you for wearing a regular morning gown to your wedding!” Governess Chung groans as panic surges over her like a tidal wave, washing her sanity and calmness into the depths of the sea. “Even worst! What if I get fired? Oh! I cannot live like a commoner again!”

 

“Relax, governess.” YinRi sighs and takes one last glance at the mirror before getting up . “It's my wedding. I'm the one that's suppose to be anxious and nervous, but it seems that you've been doing my reaction for me.”

 

“But, your highness, not a single girl gets married in a regular gown! This is absolutely absurd! Especially when you are a princess!” She blabbers uncontrollably, trying to persuade the stubborn princess.

 

“Governess!” The princess barks with a frown. “I know what is absurdity and not since I've lived half of my life in it by now. Since the special, irreplaceable wedding hanbok is 'accidentally' torn, we would have to use something else, no?”

 

The governess lowers her head at the sly princess. “Yes, your highness.” She sighs, ready to lose her job for the punishment of not managing the princess properly. “We should be going by now.”

 

YinRi walks out of her residence with a veil over her face. The tradition is that males are not suppose to see the face of the bride before the ceremony. A elegant wedding litter awaits outside to take her to the ceremony in the central celebratory garden, in the heart of the imperial palace where celebrations are held. The official starts at her with widen eyes.

 

“Pri-princess?” He stammers in horror, “You must be joking, right? You have to change, your highness! It will be great disgrace to the imperial family if you are to where that!”

 

“One more word about my hanbok, I'll feed your internal organs to my dogs.” She hisses with murder glistening in her eyes. Just as the official was about to plead her again, he closes his mouth in shame and fear. He helps YinRi into the litter. As the litter rises, so does YinRi's heart beat increase. She is bound to get an earful by the royal empress. There is a reason for her to choose this hanbok: it was her father's last feminine present for her. It broke the poor emperor's heart to hear that his beautiful jewel did not like her present in which he particularly chose for her during his trip to the Province of Yang. Filled with remorse, she wants to repay him by wearing it for him once.

 

On top of a distant, nearby roof, two young men drink fermented rice wine from 2 medium sized jar while observing the young princess. As the brunette in a small ponytail took a long drink from his jar, the blond gave a long sigh.

 

“Why the hell are you sighing?” The brunette scoffs softly, wiping off the wine that leaked out of his mouth. “It's not like you're the one taking her as a bride.”

 

“I just wished I got to know her a little better. I'm the one that she's the most awkward with!” He pouts with a sigh. “I swear if that bastard doesn't take good care of her, I'm gonna kill him with my bare fists!”

 

The brunette crooks an eyebrow at him. “You sound more freaky than Jiho.” He laughs while patting the blond on the shoulder, brotherly. “Don't worry. YinRi knows how to take care of herself. Any guy that hurts her, she gets back to him twice as hard.”

 

The blond's stress lifts a little and he smiles dazzlingly. “Well, that's true. Of course, our tiger lady never fades.”

 

The brunette tugs him on his wrist. “Come on, let's go. Don't want to miss the best part of the show.”

 

“You mean YinRi getting an earful by the empress?” The blond laughs heartily. They both smile at the thought and slip into the darkness. 


Author's Corner!
 

OMG! Thank you guys so much! I feel so encouraged! WOW, I mean WOW! 

I'll be updating a little less frequently since this month, I have school that's super important to me and all. I'm so sorry but please bear with me and don't leave me pwease~!! TT~TT. I'll be updating every week or so, please bear with me. I"m sooo sorry :P Thanks again!