Dear Yoona

Letter to You

 

Dear Yoona,

 

You've always seen me as your bestest friend.

 

It's not that I'm complaining. Being the guy outside your family closest to you meant a lot. You were always a crybaby and a big eater, but do you know how beautiful you look even if you have your mouth full? You never believe me when I say that. You always try to deny. You choding. Everyone's captivated by you. Why keep insisting that you're ordinary?

 

Being Im Yoona's best friend is an honor for a guy like me. An awkward person who's not excellent in anything else but singing (and math, if that's still necessary). You're a goddess. To me. To your family. To your groupmates. to basically everyone who knows you. You're the sweetest, most hysterical, and weirdest girl I've ever met. And I'm so grateful to be one of the few people who know the real you. The Yoona who loves singing my ballads, who bugs her dad for a food trip faraway when she has time, who makes me her personal bank and food caterer, who tears up at cheesy romantic movies (though I'd say I do too, SOMETMES), and who never fails to make me smile.

 

Those reasons might be why I fell in love with you unknowingly. I told myself 'I wouldn't, I shouldn't.' Yet I couldn't help but fall for the girl who strangles me when I'm giving her a piggyback ride back to her dorm after a drunk night. I couldn't resist falling for your smiles, your laughter, your carefree personality, your everything. You are my best friend, but I knew that what I was feeling was right. You're just perfect.

 

All these times, whenever we were together, my heart would beat faster than usual. Maybe it was already an expertise of mine to hide my emotions. But yah weirdo, were you always that dense? I guess you wouldn't believe me having feelings for you, because you feel that we didn't match. But I did. I do. I liked you, more than a best friend should.

 

Was that wrong? Because I don't regret falling for you. Those were the days when I could care less about the world and just live everyday by seeing you smile. I always wanted to tell you my feelings, but fear got to me. I was afraid of destroying our long friendship and making it difficult for us. I was scared. Scared you'd break it off with me. So I kept it. For so long. If only you knew how hard it was for me to restrain myself from kissing you everytime you made stupid actions. How could I be able to kiss your groupmates but not you? It's funny to think about.

 

What I truly regret was not telling you how I feel. I was too wrapped up in myself to notice anything else around me. I was too much of a coward to tell you. I told myself I'd wait for the right time, but haven't I been waiting for years? It was a painful journey, but even more so today.

 

Now you're with him. I don't know if you've actually had any feelings for me. Maybe you did. Maybe we were both waiting for some time to tell each other. But he didn't. He asked you out, something I never had the courage to do. Maybe it was easier for him, but I still regret the fact that I did not do what he did. I'm not condemning you because you accepted. Maybe it was time for you too. And although it hurts, more each day, I AM TRULY HAPPY FOR BOTH OF YOU. He's a really good guy, and I trust him to take care of you, although I didn't tell him. He probably knew anyway that if he just as once made you cry, I will kill him. But yes, he's a good guy. Maybe even better than me. Maybe he's the better choice.

 

But I'll always be there for you. I'll always be your best friend. If ever fate decides that you end up with him, I'll support you. It was entirely my fault right? Because I was too afraid of rejection. But don't worry about me. It's painful, but I'll survive. Seeing you happy makes me happy too. Your smiles are what's important to me. I'm still here for you. Take care of yourself weirdo.

 

And always remember, I loved you. I love you. I'll always love you.

 

- Your Gaemgyu