Sunset Glow

Smile Again

Mannie sighed as her feet dragged in the sand as her eyes trailed over the ocean waves that moved to shore and back into the bed of water. She took in the fresh air before hearing “Eonni” turning her head she smiled. “What Yurim” Mannie asked kicking up some sand “Eonni a guy hit on me” she said happily as she passed the older her lemonade. Mannie looked back spotting a guy checking out her dongsaeng.

          “Like him?” Mannie asked rather bluntly, “I don’t know him” Yurim said a blush taking her cheeks over. Mannie nodded sipping the juice “I remember the first time you brought me here” Yurim smiled looking at the sea. The sun was beganing to rise which the two were waiting for.

          “Come on” Mannie growled as she rushed to the bus stop “why must we run” Yurim whined her feet in pain “because we have to make it there before the sun actually rises and we have an hour and a half to be there” Mannie told the girl before taking her hand and rushing to the bus stop. The bus was moving toward the stop meaning they had to hurry.

          “Are you sure your mother is out” Mannie asked the girl as they ran “yeah I nudged her just in case” Yurim said tossing her thumb up. Mannie laughed at the child as they made it right on time for the bus.

          Paying their fee the two moved to the back. People on the bus looked at them with raised brows but soon ignored the pair as they took the back of the bus. “This is exciting,” Yurim whispered to the older “were going to watch the sunset not rob a back” she told the younger amused with how happy she seemed.

          “I know” Yurim said pouting her lips causing Mannie to smile even more.

          The bus stopped at their stop and the duo climbed off thanking the bus driver. “We made good time” Mannie said proudly “Glad you think so” Yurim said skipping as they walked toward the trail that lead to the beach.

          “I’ll race you” Yurim told the older “don’t embarrass yourself little duck” Mannie said in a cocky tone. “Ahjummah, you should worry about your hip” Yurim told the older “ha,” Mannie laughed sarcastically. “You’re on” Mannie stated before the two jetted off down the hill.

          The two raced down the hill and down to the sand only to tumble into the sand. The two burst out into laughter’s as they lay on their backs. Letting the rush take them over the two filled the night air with their moment of happiness.

          Not too far, 11 boys came over slugging their way to the beach. They were all heading there to watch the sunrise. They plan to make wishes on the sun, somewhat a promise that they will make big all of them.

          Mannie and Yurim came into view as Yurim crawled to the older and pulled her to sit up.

          Mannie spotted the sand in the girls jet black hair and went to dust it out “you look a mess” she told the younger. “Eonni you look no better” the girl laughed dusting the olders hair. The cleaning turned into a competition resulting in hair standing wildly on both of their heads. “You look crazy” Yurim laughed “Ha says the girl who looks like a black haired chucky” Mannie told the younger as they stood to their feet dusting their clothes.

          “Oh did you learn teen tops clap” Yurim asked Mannie nodded “Shall we do a beach performance” Yurim “I only know up to the first chorus” Mannie informed the girl taking out her I pod. “It’s ok I just want to pass time” Yurim said Mannie smiled at how mature she could be.

          Setting on her jacket she rushed to the girls side as the song faintly played throughout the quiet beach. The danced to the song letting all of their worries fly from them as they lived in that moment. It was their escape especially Yurim’s that’s why Mannie was so willing to participant with the child.

          She’s going through a lot. They stopped at the first verse and Yurim did a cheap version of the second verse. Mannie laughed at the child, her eyes trailing to other laughter spotting the guys from the park and her new acquaintance Hanbin.

          He looked at her smiling warmly and Mannie returned it before looking to the child “others are watching” she coed crawling to her phone. Yurim raised a brow before looking back and spotting the boys. The child yelped in embarrassment as the older smiled at how she cowered behind her. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner” she whispered in the older girls ear “at least I said something,” Mannie whispered back.

          Yurim frowned as Mannie stood up “hello” she greeted the group as she picked up her bag and slung it on her shoulders. The morning light was coming up but the sun wasn’t here yet. “Hello” the boys did the same “so what brings you here” Hanbin asked the girl as he moved over by her. The boys were shocked the he knew her.

          “She dragged me here” Mannie sighed as yurim stood to her feet “she hasn’t seen the sunset so I brought her here” Yurim informed the boy. Hanbin nodded smiling at the little girl “you?” Mannie asked catching his attention. “We came to watch the sunset as well” one of his friends stated, Mannie smiled at how his eyes disappeared even without him trying. “This is Bobby, that’s Jinhwan, Minho, Taehyun, Seunghoon, Seungyoon, Jiwoo, donghyuk, joonhwae, yunhyung” Hanbin informed the girls. “Well I’m Mannie and this is Yurim” Mannie told them as they smiled greeting her.

          “So how did you meet our Hanbin” Minho asked moving over and wrapping his arm around the boy who looked embarrassed “he scolded me for being in front of the door” Mannie told him finding him charming. Though she didnt show it. “Ah that sounds like the cold guy” Bobby said smiling Hanbin sent him a glare and Mannie smiled amused.

“Ah a limonade stand” Yurim shouted pointing her hand. Mannie looked spotting a man pushing a cart with his son. That’s when Mannie notice other people coming onto the beach. “Eonni buy me one” Yurim demanded “aigoo you’re more troublesome than a fish” Mannie sighed “wait a fish doesn’t do much” Yurim said lost along with the boys.

“That’s the point” Mannie sung moving toward the stand “That’s mean” Yurim pouted before chasing after the girl.

“So why are looking after some ladies kid” Mannie looked over at Hanbin who sat beside her as Yurim played with the guys. “She attacted herself to me” Mannie said biting the straw to her lemonade. “How so” Hanbin asked amused with what he heard. “Well her mother is…lost” Mannie stated, she didnt want to bash someone elses mother. “So I guess since I was nice to her after hearing her heart breaking story I decided to play with her” Mannie shrugged sipping the drink.

“Soon it turned to me learning dances with her and growing attracted to her” Mannie said looked to the sun that was slowly rising. Hanbin watched her from the way her lips moved to how her eyes softened as they stayed planted on the girl. “I guess I’m trying to give her something that my sister has given me” Mannie told him. Her eyes met his as he asked “what’s that?” Mannie took in a deep breath as his eyes locked with her own. “a family”.

“Eonni” Mannie looked to the girl rushing over “you have to make a wish” the girl giggled landing in her lap. Mannie smiled at the girl. Hanbin looked to the child before moving his eyes on the guys. Standing he gave the two their moment. Mannie watched him regroup with his friends as a smile touched her lips. “Hurry” Yurim rushed the girl covering her eyes.

Mannie closed her eyes and made a wish. Finishing she opened them and looked to the child. Who was making her own wish.

Mannie and Yurim waved at the guys before turning to move to the bus shop. “What did you wish for” Yurim asked the older. Mannie looked down to the girl “it’s a secret” Mannie frowned at her “well mine is too” Yurim said crossing her arms. Mannie laughed at the child as she shook her head and continued to walk down the road.

“I wished for us to betogether forever” Mannie looked from the rising sun to the girl beside her. “I thought you werent telling me” Mannie asked smiling at the girl “it came true” Yurim said ignoring the comment. Yurim looked to the older girl biting on her straw as her eyes watered. “That’s why I told you” Yurim confessed. Mannie smiled warmly before pulling the girl into a tight hug.

Mannie breathed into the embrace “mine was to finally be happy” Mannie told the girl. Yurim pulled back as she remembered the questioned she asked her eonni.

          “Do you ever wish to just be happy?”

                                                          “No”

“So I guess you do want to be happy” yurim chuckled “after see how happy he was with his friends and realizing you weren’t just some type of annoyance” Mannie said Yurim pouted looking to her. “I then knew that’s one thing I wanted to wish for” Mannie said patting the girls head.

Yurim laughed “let’s go I’m hungry” She said rubbing her tummy “fine” Mannie said turning around. The two stopped in their tracks.