Wishes

Birthday Wish

“Happy 22nd birthday, Hojoon!” we exclaimed. “Make a wish!”

 

Hojoon closed his eyes and blew the candles on his cupcake cake.

 

“Yay! So what’s your wish? Tell me tell me!” I asked with excitement.

 

“If I did tell you, then it wouldn’t come true now would it?”

 

“Fine! Be that way,” I pouted, took a cupcake from him, and shoved it into his nose.

 

“Hey hey, don’t waste food and make a mess!” Seogoong said while picking up cupcake crumbs on the floor. “Ya’ll know how my mom hates mess. Oh and by the way, you eat the cupcake on your nose, Hojoon. There’s only one cupcake for each of us since there’re only 3 of them,” he reached to one of the cupcakes.

 

Hojoon rolled his eyes at him and said to me, “Do you really want to know what I wished for, Yeri?”

 

“Yes, please!” I beamed.

 

“Ok then. My wish is for you to like my gift on your birthday.”

 

“What kind of a wish is that?” I said in disappointment.

 

“What? Your birthday is in a week. You’ll know it then.”

 

I was about to open my mouth when Seogoong asked the same question, “Yeah, what kind of a wish is that? I think we all know what your present is going to be, and we all know that Yeri is going to like whatever you give her.”

 

“No, this year’s present is going to be different,” Hojoon grinned.

 

“That’s what you say every year!” Seogoong and I said in unison. It’s true that he had always been giving the same birthday gift ever since we were in grade school. Flowers and Chocolates. He had always given me flowers as he could just pick them anywhere. Another reason was he figured I like flowers because I’m a girl. He had always given chocolates because he knew I had a sweet tooth. Hojoon didn’t really care much for the presents he gave me. It was like a routine for him to give my flowers and chocolates for my birthdays. Because of that routine, I grew accustomed to it, but I still appreciated his efforts of giving me gifts on my birthdays since he still gave me one every birthdays.

 

“If you say that it is going to be different then I can’t wait to receive it,” I said being grateful and added, “Though for the last 13 years that you said that it’ll be different, I still have my doubts.” I grinned.

 

“We’ll see about that,” Hojoon said. “Wait, why are we talking about your gift? Where are mine?”

 

“I made the cupcakes,” I said.

 

“I forgot to get you one,” Seogoong said apologetically. “How about I just sing you a song!”

 

“No!” we said in unison. Seogoong made hurt look and puffed his cheeks.

 

“Fine, I’ll do it anyway.” There was no way of getting out of his stubbornness. And his stubbornness resulted in a solo concert. Though Hojoon was glad at how Seogoong was in deep in his songs, neither Hojoon nor I was really listening. We were just watching him while we ate the cupcake I baked.

 

“Hmm, not bad. Soft, moist, and sweet.” Hojoon smiled.  I beamed at him. His compliment and smile made me feel proud. I knew he like sweet treats that’s why I spent the whole night the day before trying to make the perfect cupcake; however, cooking wasn’t my specialty. It took me a couple of tries that the ingredients left only allowed me to make three cupcakes.

 

It was normal for us to give so much effort for each other; well, not so much effort, but enough to be appreciated. We just enjoyed each other’s company. Seogoong who was my cousin, and Hojoon was our best friend, though I wish it was more than that. He had always been very dedicated and passionate at whatever he was doing, which I like about him as well as his calm and friendly nature. However, our meeting wasn’t as often as it was before now that he and Seogoong debuted as Topp Dogg. They had been busy with training and practising. They were busy with today’s broadcasting and fanmeeting, but they still managed to come and celebrate Hojoon’s birthday. We might not have seen each other for a while but I always cheer for them.

 

After an hour had passed, Seogoong finished long solo concert. He would’ve continued if Auntie hadn’t got annoyed and demanded him to stop.

 

“Thanks Auntie! I thought it wouldn’t end,” I teased.

 

“Oh I’ll remember to give you 3-hour long concert in birthday,” Seogoong replied.

 

“Well, I’ll be right back. My nose feels very sticky,” Hojoon said.

 

Hojoon took his time cleaning up, so Seogoong and I talked about things in school.

 

“... really not attractive with those round glasses and bowl cut hairstyle... makes him look like a geek which doesn’t suit with his cool personality...” I described to Seogoong and talked more. “Wow, he’s really taking his time, huh?”

 

Right on cue Hojoon came back with what looks like a forced smile, “Back.”

 

“Oh what happened there? Did you wash your energy as well?” I asked because he looked sad.

 

“What are you talking about? I’m fine. Now, let’s continue this party,” he said as cheerfully as he could.

 

“Oh. kay,” I looked at Seogoong and he was excited to get it started. He didn’t notice anything and Hojoon said he’s fine so I shrugged the feeling off. Shrugging it off, we started the party, and by party I meant watching comedy movies until Auntie threw us out and told us to go home.

 

“Haha! I knew Mom would throw you guys out after 2 movies!” Seogoong laughed hard.

 

“It’s you two’s fault! Laughing so loud even when it isn’t that funny,” Hojoon chuckled.

 

“Yeah, sure!” Seogoong and I said in unison and laughed.

 

“Well, it’s getting late now. I should head home now,” Hojoon said. “I really had an awesome birthday. Thank you , you two!”

 

“You’re welcome. You know I love you, right,” Seogoong hugged him. I giggled. Hojoon was trying hard to get out off the hug but Seogoong was bigger than. Seeing that Hojoon couldn’t shake the person off of him, he gave up and hugged back. I laughed more and he glanced at me. I grinned and he gave me an empty smile. There it is again. But I shrugged it off again as I didn’t want to ruin the night for everyone else.

 

After a few more seconds, Seogoong finally let go. “Okay, I’ll be going now! I’ll see you two later,” Hojoon ruffled my hair and smiled before he turned to walk away. Maybe I was just imagining those strange things earlier.

 

“Ooohh, smiling giddily with just that,” Seogoong said elbowing me.

 

“What? I’m just happy he had fun,” I said smiling to my side. “He has been a great friend to us and it’s just to show my appreciation.” Hojoon has been our friend for a long. He’s like our insulator that kept our loud personality in control. Seogoong and I were cousins and it’s in our blood to have loud personality. In opposite to our personality, Hojoon has a calm and carefree personality, and sometimes he’s quiet. He just went with us even with our annoying acts.

 

That should be it. Hojoon was just tired, so I was seeing things. Everything would go back to normal once we’re all rested up.

 

I said my goodbye to Seogoong and Auntie and headed home.

 

Next time I would see him and everything’s back again.

 

Well, that’s what I thought before I saw him without his glasses; before he had his hair all gelled up; and before something changed in him.

 

 


 

Two days had passed before we saw each other again. And when we did saw each other, Hojoon’s look was different. He wasn’t wearing his glasses, had his hair gelled up looking really cool.

“Dude! What happened and you’re all looking and cool now!” Seogoong said surprised.

“What? Nothing. I just thought it would be a nice change,” Hojoon explained. “Don’t you like it?”

“It’s not bad! I think you look great!” I said. Even though I, too, was surprised, he looked really nice. Maybe his changing wasn’t a bad thing. He was still sweet Hojoon.

 

We all went out for something to eat, so we went to a cafe we always went to. That’s when I noticed Hojoon checking out every girl we passed by. Okay.. I raised an eyebrow. Wondering, I asked, “Hey Hojoon, I’ve been noticing you checking every girl out. Developed a new hobby of doing that?”

 

“Well, I wanted to just show off all this,” he answered gesturing himself.

 

“Huh? Since when?”

 

“Hm, since my birthday. Days are passing before we go back to work and I’m just enjoying it.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Can we just go eat? Please?” Seogoong interrupted.

 

I didn’t push anymore. I just want to enjoy the day with him and Seogoong, though I wasn’t comfortable with his personality change.

 

We got to the cafe and ordered. Usual we ordered then we waited for a drinks and foods, but this time Hojoon talked to girl who worked there.

 

“Hi there! You’re the one who always takes our order, right?”

 

She nodded. “Name’s Junee,” she smiled.

 

“Oh! We kinda have the same name, Hojoon here,” he flashed a smile. “I’m wondering if I get to know each other more. So, when is your break?” he asked boldly.

 

I was shocked. Hojoon would never do that; talking to people he barely knows, taking the first step, and asking so boldly. Who was that?

 

“Actually it’s about time for my break. Do you want to go somewhere?” the girl said taking his apron off.

 

“Ok!”

 

Seogoong coughed to let them know we’re still there.

 

“Ah! Guys, I’m sorry. Can I bail for now? I’ll make it up next time!” he said. Then they headed out.

 

“What just happened?” I asked “And who was that? That was Hojoon, right?”

 

“I think so..?” Seogoong replied. He was just as shocked as I am. That wasn’t Hojoon. Where did our quiet Hojoon go? My heart sunk at the fact that Hojoon changed drastically and that he was going out with someone else. I’m not sure where the guy I liked went, and it kind of scared me. What if they really started dating each other? What would I do. I just hoped it wouldn’t happen.

 

The day has passed with just me hanging with Seogoong. It wasn’t the same without Hojoon. I wanted to see and talk to him what was going on so I called him. No answer, it went to voicemail. Maybe I was just thinking too much. I let it go and called it a day.

---

The next day I called. Good thing he answered.

 

“Hello Yeri?”

 

“Good morning! Sun is shining!” I greeted cheerfully.

 

“Cheerful as always,” he chuckled. I smiled. I was glad to hear his voice again. “So what made you call?”

 

“Well, since we didn’t get to hang out yesterday, I’ just wondering if you want to go out today?” I asked hoping he would say yes.

 

“I can’t. I’m going to the company today.”

 

“Oh no problem! After work then?”

 

“Um about that.. I’m meeting with Junee, the girl from the cafe. I’m sorry!”

 

“Uh ok..” I said trying to hide my disappointment. “How about tomorrow?” I asked biting my lip.

 

“Same thing. Going to the company in the morning and meeting her later..”

 

“Oh ok..”

 

“I’ll call when we can hang out again.”

 

“Ok!”

 

He hung up.

 

A small lump formed on throat. That hadn’t happened before. He always had time to hangout. I started to become afraid we might fall apart. I knew I shouldn’t be feeling this since we weren’t even together. But, thinking that he was seeing someone else and not having time for me, kills me inside.

 

I slapped myself. What am I thinking? Stop thinking this way! No one’s falling apart anytime now. We’ve been friends for a long time! Don’t be jealous! I thought to myself. He didn’t say they’re together or didn’t have to for me and Seogoong. Maybe it’s just for the meantime. I comforted myself and continued with other activities knowing Hojoon would call her soon.

 

---

 

However, days passed and hadn’t called, even once.

 

It was already my birthday, and it was just me and Seogoong.

 

“Yeri-ah, do you know where Hojoon is at? I called him what time he was coming today but he said he's busy today,” Seogoong said.

 

“I don’t know. He haven’t missed my birthday before,” I replied. Hoping in that moment he would burst in surprise. She also tried calling him, but all go to voicemail, too.

 

“What the! Then let's just party hard that he'll regret not coming!”

 

“Yeah! We'll show him! That guy really!” I said, but deep down I was upset. A lump on my throat that I was about to breakdown and start tearing up if Seogoong wasn't with me. He haven't missed my birthday because he would excited all week after his birthday. We would be all happy celebrating together.

 

Seogoong suddenly hugged me.

 

“Eh?” I said surprised.

 

“We grew up together, and I know when you're upset,” he held me in front of him. “You miss him, don't you?”

 

I nodded. I was shaking up inside, but I didn't want to breakdown in front of him. I didn't want him doing anything unnecessary. Seogoong was like a protective brother who would charge at anyone. I just smiled and said, “I miss him, but you don't have anything to worry about!” And cheerfully added, “He'll definitely repay by giving me a grand hangout blowout!”

 

“Ok then! Let's get this party started!” he shouted.

 

“Just don't get us kicked out again!” We laughed.

 

For an opening act, we lit the candles on the small cake Seogoong bought for me. We sang “Happy Birthday.” I blew the candle and made a wish. After Seogoong the music and started singing. A few minutes later we sang together. The party went on.

 

An hour and a half passed. “Whoo! Party party!” we said in unison.

 

Catching my breathe, “Ok ok it's becoming hot in here. Let me open the window,” I walked towards the window. As I was opening it, I thought I saw something. I going to brush it off, but I have a strong feeling something's there. “I'm just going to check something. I'll be right back.”

 

“Ok!” Seogoong replied and continued partying by himself.

 

I opened the door and went outside. Cool autumn air hit him. I inhaled a lung full and let it out. Then I heard sudden shuffle. I walked towards the sound.

 

“Hello? Anyone out there?”

 

No response.

 

“I know someone's out there.”

 

Still no response.

 

I went out the gate and looked around to see what was causing the sound. A figure leaning on the side with its head down.

 

The lump on my throat returned. “Where have you been? You're missing the party?”

 

No response. He looked up and hugged me.

 

I must not breakdown.

 

“I'm such a horrible person. I'm sorry, Yeri.” Old Hojoon was back.

 

“Huh? What are you talking about,” I said. I would've left it at that, but I continued, “You were avoiding me, weren't you?”

 

Honest him he nodded. “I was changing to someone of your standard,” he looked me in the eye.

 

“Standard?”

 

“I overheard you and Seogoong talking during my birthday about how unattractive my get up and with the glasses. That's why I changed my my appearance and character. But that wasn't me. I was just fooling myself and I was afraid to face you because of it, ever since that day on the cafe. Actually after that day I didn't keep in contact with the girl. I just needed an excuse. I'm sorry.”

 

So that's it? I was worried and it was ask my fault. I was the fool here.

 

I punched his shoulder, not hard enough to hurt but hard enough for him to feel. “You fool. We aren't talking about you, we we're talking about our other cousin who went out of the country,” I chuckled. I was relieved. I didn't want to be apart from him.

 

“Oh.” That surprised him.

 

“Worrying about nothing, that's our sweet Hojoon there!” I beamed knowing that things could go back as before. “Let's go back in!”

 

“Wait.”

 

“Hm? What is-”

 

He stopped me with a kiss on the lips. I felt my cheeks burning.

 

“W-what was that for?”

 

“I like you, Yeri,” he told me with longing eyes. “I've liked you for a long time. I fell for your loving and cheerful self that always make me smile. I like you.”

 

I didn't have a lot to say, so I just hugged him and whispered to his ear, “You know that I like you too, right? Ever since I can't remember when for being just you.” I pecked a kiss on his cheeks and smiled.

 

He smiled back. “So my wish came true after all.”

 

“My gift?”

 

“This,” he kissed me again, a warm and sweet kiss.

 

“Hey! What are you two doing! Stop that and just go in!” Seogoong shouting from the front door interrupting our moment with a big smile on his face.

 

“Yes yes!” Hojoon and I said in unison walking back with the same big smile holding hands.

 

I guess my birthday wish came true , too!

 

 

 

End

 

 

 


 

Hope you liked it!

Thank you for reading!