Garage Sale

Another Man's Treasure

The last place Seunghyun thought he'd be spending his allowance on is some cheesy garage sale. But surprise, surprise- it  moved up to first place.

There were tons of other places that he would rather be happy spending his hard work for chores on. Like, for example, the mall, or for new clothes, or even some ice cream. But the garage sale was definitely not one of them.

So there Seunghyun stood, on the plain green grass of some old man's lawn, tired and grumpy from walking all the way to the shopping mall just to find out that they were closed. 

"Hmph. What kind of mall closes on the weekends?" Seunghyun grumbled, stomping the wildflowers under his sneakers, "...And on summer vacation?"

"What a bummer," He sighed, his eyes quickly scanned the place and held up an antique mug, "Hey, mister! How much does this huge mug cost?"

"That's not a mug, kid, it's a vase!" 

Opps, scratch that. He was holding up an antique vase.

"Really?" Seunghyun titled his head, examining the vase in his hands, "It doesn't look like it."

"Oh, shut up."

Seunghyun tsked, putting his hands on his hip, swaying his head side to side, "Manners, old man."

"You," The old man mumbled, glaring at the kid, "Just shut up."

"Fine, fine," Seunghyun sighed, trying to hold in his laughter, "Whatever you say, big guy."

And then the conversation stopped.

Sunghyun didn't mind. He couldn't think of anything else to restart it. So he took this advantage and kept on searching for things, but he didn't find anything that he fancied. He still searched, though. It wasn't crowded with people, so it made him have everything for himself. Seunghyun sighed, eyes drooping as he scanned the whole table of useless junk.

"Hurry up, kid, I'm not getting any younger."

"Well, that's a shocker," Seunghyun mumbled, glaring at the old man in front of him. He was leaning back on his rocking chair, without a care in the world. His thin grey hair going with the rhythm. "Who would've guessed it?"

Thankfully, the old guy didn't hear him, so Seunghyun continued playing around with whatever he laid eyes on. He studied each item on the table, silently and carefully, not wanting to miss a single object. Then, something caught his eye. "How much is this one, mister?" He asked, holding up an old, used cassete tape.

"That? I'd say 30,000  Won." The old man grunted, obviously uninterested in Seunghyun's question.

He frowned, knowing that he couldn't afford that. Saddened, Seunghyun placed it back on the table and continued wandering around. Again, something else caught his eye. Seunghyun pointed onto an antique urn, so close that he was almost poking it. "What about this?" 

"Probably 100,000."

Seunghyun froze, only blinking rapidly. He titled his head and glanced at the urn again, slowly doing the math. Just then, the answer popped out of his head. "Wait, w-what? B-but it's so old, and it even has cracks on it!" Seunghyun argued, pointing at each imperfection and flaw on it. "How the hell could something so old be so expensive?"

"Because that's an antique, kid!" He growled, annoyed that the boy couldn't figure out something so simple, "Just look at it! It says 'antique' all over!"

He held the urn in his hands, spinning it around a few times, unaware that he might have broken it if he clumsily let go. "Hmm? I don't see anything but 'old' and 'crummy' on it." Seunghyun said flatly, keeping the poker face.

The old man stood up from his chair, hitting Seunghyun with his walking stick a few times without any mercy, "Geez, this kid!"

Seunghyun backed away, fighting the walking stick as he laughed uncontrollably. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry!" He yelled.

Either the old guy got tired of hitting Seunghyun, or he just felt pity on him. Either way, he stopped and sat back down on his study rocking chair, probably feeling exhausted from punishing the kid. Seunghyun panted, standing a few feet back just in case he would start the fight again. "Well, could I at least get a discount?" He pulled his lower lip into a pout, acting as cute as he can. "Pwease?"

The old man sighed and leaned back. "Well, if you put it that way, no." He then turned his head to the side before hitting his walking stick onto a sign board. "Read it, kid."

Seunghyun turned his eyes to the board, squinting his eyes as he read the words out loud.

"No discounts. Buy it, or leave it."

"What kind of stupid rule is that? This is just a garage sale for Pete's sake!" He shouted, flopping his arms around in frustration. Admit it, he looked pretty stupid.

"It's the policy. If you want it, buy it. Don't want it, leave it." 

"Policy, my ." Seunghyun mumbled, "What kind of a stinkin' garage sale doesn't allow discounts?"

"Hey," The old man raised his voice, poking the same walking stick onto Seunghyun's cheek, "I heard you."

He smiled sheepishy, still having the stick on his face, followed by a short bow. He could've apologized, but the old man seemed to have not cared. They both shrug at the same time, moving their shoulders down, followed by a chuckle from both of them. It was pretty much a miracle how Seunghyun could make friends so fast. It was just a few minutes ago when he first met the old guy. They didn't seem to have anything much in common, their age, hobbies, life. But Sehunghyun didn't mind. Friends are friends, nevertheless the people.

Seunghyun still searched , but everything was either broken or useless. But by luck, something at the edge of the rusty table caught his attention. He walked over, biting his lip, just wishing it was something awesome to cover up all the other things he wanted. It was hidden under an old rag, but it's rectangular shape still stood out.

The boy stood still for a second, trying to guess what it could be. But after a few minutes of thinking, Seunghyun decided to just see for himself. He took off the rag, coughing as all it's dust flew around. He flapped his arms in the air, moving the dusty air from his face and held what seemed to be a notebook.

"Hey, how 'bout this notebook?" Seunghyun raised a dusty worn out notebook in the air, hoping that the price is as low as how much he's got.

"Hmm..." The man thought for a while, tapping his finger on his wrinkly chin as he muttered some words, "I guess that could just be 5,000 Won."

"You're kidding, right?"

"When you're this old, there's nothing to kid about." The old man laughed. From the way it looked, it must've been long since he had a good laugh.

Seunghyun smiled back at him. He looked at the book and placed his hand on it's old cover, admiring it as he felt it's rough texture. He shot a smile at the notebook, then giving a handshake to the old man.

"Deal."

.   .   .   .   .

 

"Man, why is it so hot?"

Seunghyun put a hand over his forehead, covering his face from the sunshine. The early July heat sapped all the energy from him, but left enough to at least his ice cream. He dumped his backpack first on the ground before sitting down on the sidewalk.

He looked around, admiring the place. There wasn't that much to admire, actually. Everything seemed to be melting from the heat. The people, shops, nature, everything was melting for sure. But Seunghyun didn't mind. As long as he had his ice cream, everything's all right. Even if he was sitting on the sidewalk in front of a convenience store, close to the trash can, sweating like a pig under the scorching hot sun, he didn't mind.

Okay, maybe he did a little.

Scooching a bit, Seunghyun moved further from the trash can, rubbing his along the burning hot sidewalk. The reeking smell from the trash was still strong, and he was now clearly out in the sun, without any shade. But it was, at least, better than where he was before. 

Kinda.

The boy couldn't care less. Instead, he looked at the bright side, which was his ice cream.

"Don't worry, Mr. Cookie Dough, I'll finish you up before you melt." Seunghyun smiled, a little bit too creepily, before devouring the sweet treat, gulping it all into his mouth.

But his plan totally backfired. Instead of savoring it, he choked. Seunghyun patted his chest aggressively, trying to get it out of his throat. He coughed as hard as he could, immediately standing up and hiding in the narrow alleyway, wanting to vomit. He bent down, with all his might, pounding his chest again and again. In the end nothing came out. Seunghyun leaned back at the wall, panting, thinking 'What the was that for?'

He may have been talking to God, or just himself. No one knows for sure.

Seunghyun walked back to where he was sitting, on the sidewalk. He stretched his arms around, making the weirdest groans as he yawned.

He soon forgot about it and reached for his backpack, placing it on his lap. The kid rummaged in his bag, messily, searching for his Iphone, ping the hidden side pocket and took it out. Seunghyun plugged in his earphones, losing himself in his own crazy thoughts as the music blasted into his ears.

The music was on the loudest, loud enough to not hear anything from his surroundings. Seunghyun totally didn't mind, because that's what he wanted; to chill with music while eating ice cream.

The song started out slowly, but when the chorus kicked in, let's just say he went full overboard. The ice cream and music loving kid bobbed his head to the beat, having his own air guitar solo, mouthing the lyrics with all his might.

I swear, he looked so retarded. But, hey, we all got our own taste, right?
 
"Wow, Fantastic Baby!" Seunghyun raised both his arms in the air, fists clenced with enthasium.

Just some people are crazier than others.

I guess music takes over your brain or something because Seunghyun was kicking and punching the air continuously. He accidentally kicked his backpack, tumbling it over as all his belongings spilled out. Seunghyun stopped, groaned annoyingly and took off the earphones. He began picking up each object, until he notices the old notebook he bought at the garage sale a while ago.

"Hmm?" Seunghyun stopped mid-way of grabbing the notebook. He thought for a second, hesitating. "Should I read it?"

Swiftly, he took the notebook and placed it on his lap. The brown haired boy examined it's cover very carefully, but all that's on it is black, rough leather, nothing else. It didn't seem like the expensive kind, though. But what would he expect from a 5,000 won probably used notebook bought from an old man's garage? It didn't have any writing on it, nor a name or initail. Seunghyun began to be suspicious as he held the edges of the book, opening it's very first page.

This diary belongs to Kim Hana.

"What?" He muttered, shocked and confused, "T-this is a diary?"

He began flipping to the next page, and it answered his question...


Sunday, June 23, 2013

          Hello, to whoever is reading this. My name is Kim Hana. I am a freshman in high school. I am writing this diary for my future self, but I don't think I would be able to read it. I don't know why, I don't know.


Seunghyun cringed, still confused, speechless as he read the girl's diary. He checked the date, June 23, 2013. "It was last year..." He mumbled as he looked above for a while, thinking, "Kim Hana sure sounds familiar..."

The kid stood there, still thinking, wondering why her name sounds so familiar. It wasn't any ordinary name or anything, it was just very familiar. Too familiar that he couldn't put a finger on it.

"Oh, wait!" Seunghyun exclaimed, the light bulb on his head glowing brightly. "Isn't she like some model or something?" 

Maybe, maybe not.

"Wow, I've never thought I'd be reading a super model's diary! This is the best day ever!” Seunghyun squealed, grinning widely. 

The boy squealed uncontrollably as he turned to the next page. He raised his arms, anticipating to read more juicy secrets about the so-thought 'super model.'


Monday, June 24, 2013

          Today is the exact same date when my mother died a few years ago. I wish I could've visited her grave, but her body wasn't even found by the investigators, so how could I see her? These days, I would look up into the dark night sky, because I know she is out there somewhere. It may not be Earth, but just somewhere.

I love you, mom.


"Woah," Seunghyun slouched back, surprised. He dropped the diary as he raised his hands, palms showing. He bent over to pick it up with another groan. "I-I'm terribly sorry for your loss..." He muttered, biting his lip as he caressed the page softly. Even if he didn't know who she was, he felt pretty bad for her. He shook off that thought and flipped to the next page.


Tuesday, June 25, 2013

          Exams are starting, that means summer vacation is coming close. Unlike my classmates, I don't like summer vacation. They all hang out with their friends or family, having the best time of their life. But me, I just stay in my shabby room in this suffocating house, covering my ears from what seems to be my dad and his girlfriend. It's not that I hate my dad, but after my mom left, he was always depressed. Soon, it became worse. He started drinking every day, having a new girlfriend every week, and yet, he doesn't seem to notice me. I was always there for him, but he was never there for me.


Page after page, it became sadder.


Thursday, June 30, 2013

School is finally over. It's summer vacation for the next three months. I wish I had enough courage to tell my crush I liked him, but I just couldn't. He was right in front of me, staring into my eyes, and then I just blanked out. I don't know what happened, I don't know.

I may not have the courage to tell you in person, so I will tell you in here, in my diary.

I like you, Choi Seun-


Then a huge road truck passed by, splattering all the dirty mud water of last night's rain, onto Seunghyun's face.

"Argh," He yelled, instantly standing up and waving an impolite finger to the road trucker, "Stupid road trucks!"

Seunghyun wiped his face, but his whole body was just covered in dirty rain water of the summer's rain. And the worst part is...

the diary's soaked.

"Hey, idiot!" He shouted, running towards the truck, "I ing paid 5,000 Won for this diary! You know how much that is? Huh?!"

Seunghyun shouted in frustration again, pulling out his hair as he turned the book upside down and shook off the access water from it. Though, it was no use. The whole diary was soaking wet, but Seunghyun had a plan.

Rushing to the convenience store, Seunghyun tightly held the diary, running inside. The cool air conditioner's breeze greeted him, but he ignored it, going straight to the cashier guy.

"Hey, mind if I use the bathroom?"

The latter was a high school student, probably working part-time. He was wearing the usual uniform, thick-rimmed glasses, paired with squeaky clean white Converse, and held a broom in his hands.

"Pfft, what a nerd," Seunghyun thought, showing a slight smile.

The student stood there, frozen, to seeing some random stranger walk in, all muddy. Obviously, both of them don't know the answer.

"Erm," He said, binking a few times before scanning Seunghyun from head to toe, as if he was some kind of metal-detector. "I-I guess you could, but-"

"Thanks." Seunghyun waved, smiling widely as he walked straight into the bathroom, leaving the latter confused. He did a quick spin and barged the door open with the sole of his sneakers, the only part where the water didn't splash, meeting the white tiled walls of the bathroom. Seunghyun looked at himself through the mirror, seeing a person all messed up and dirty, that was him.

"Urgh," The boy ran a hand through his muddy hair. "Why, of all people, did it have to be me?"

He stomped in anger, then looked at his reflection again. His gaze lowered to the diary, seeing it all wet and dirty. "God, how the hell am I gonna fix this?"

Seunghyun turned the tap on, washing his hands and face, making sure all the mud gets out. He shook his hands, letting the water droplets fall as he let the automatic hand dryer do the rest. The kid looked back to the diary, still in thought of how to clean it.

"Aha!" Seunghyun beamed, having the light bulb appear magically on his head again. He snatched the diary off the sink and placed it under the hand dryer, instantly pushing the button. "This should do the work."

After a few minutes later, it was, at least, not as muddy as it was before. 

Kinda.

Seunghyun raised the book up to his eye's height level, checking it's quality. It wasn't 'good as new', but it was, "Close enough," He sighed.

He looked into the mirror again, seeing himself. His muddy school uniform, covered in brownish water mixed with who the hell knows? Only his face and hands were clear, since he washed them just a while ago. Seunghyun sighed, giving himself a forced wink before leaving the bathroom.

The diary in his hands was still a bit damp, but it was better than it was before. Seunghyun walked out, waving to the cashier dude again with a short bow, followed by an audible, "Thanks, again."

Seunghyun exited, still mad from what happened, slung his backpack on his shoulder and began walking straight home. He cursed under his breath, gripping the diary tightly, stomping, clenching his teeth. Anger, all that's Seunghyun is feeling is anger. He didn't know why, he just felt... mad.

The boy stopped suddenly, staring deeply at the diary, and smiled.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

.   .   .   .   .

 

"Erm, I'm starting to think Kim Hana isn't a super model..."

Seunghhyun pouted, leaning back in in comfy study chair, which he doesn't use to study, and let’s out a big sigh. He stayed like that, frozen and still, thinking of how stupid he was when he mistakened her.

"God, why am I so stupid?" He whined, shrugging. Oh, don't worry, there's sarcasm intended. Not really. "She couldn't be a model, she's just a freshman in high school."

The boy sighed, reclining his chair, thinking more about Kim Hana. Seunghyun bit his lip, having short flashbacks about what he read in her diary.

My name is Kim Hana.

I love you, mom.

I was always there for him, but Dad was never there for me.

I wish I had enough courage to tell my crush I liked him, but I just couldn't.

2013

"Wait, if that was dated last year, when she was a freshman, then that means she would be a junior now," Seunghyun muttered. "Which means she's my age," 

"Then that means we were in the same grade, and that's why her name was so familiar!" He snapped his fingers, beaming happily to his extent.

"But then again, that means I'm not reading the personal diary of a super duper hot super model."

"Though, on the bright side," He spun his wheeled chair (it's name is wheely, by he way). "This is some pretty juicy stuff she's got in here."

The boy stood up sternly, grabbing the book of his desk and stuffing his nose in it, reading again, carefully. Just to make sure everything was clear, he started from the beginning, right from 'This diary belongs to Kim Hana.'

Seunghyun pretty much just went through each page, flipping every page aggressively. He didn't have that much of concentration, actually. He was just carelessly turning every page, scanning the passages, as if he had an Eidetic memory, which he did not.

Seunghyun casually turned to the few last pages, and suddenly, just out of the blue, a folded piece of paper fell.

"Hmm?" He bent down, picking it up, "What's this...?"

Please open.

"My pleasure, I guess..." Seunghyun mumbled, opening it to it's full size. He carefully examined it, but just by anybody's guess, it's definitely a map.

"Woah," He yelled, happy yet a little freaked out, "This is the jackpot!"

“Jackpot, baby!”

“Seunghyun, keep it down!” Seunghyun’s mom shouted. “The neighbors are complaining again!”

“Sorry, mom!” The brown haired boy replied, scanning the map again and again. “Man, this is certainly jackpot!”

“I said stop shouting! Stop shouting!”

“You’re shouting, too, mom!”

“Why, this kid…” She yelled, but then it became quiet. Seunghyun shrugged and ignored it, but just soon the door burst with loud knocks.

Uh-oh.

Seunghyun quickly shoved everything in his desk. It was already full, but hey, a notebook would fit, right?

“Hold it!” The boy said, walking to the door. ”I-I’m coming! I’m coming!”

He heaved a deep sigh before unlocking it, his hands trembling at the same time. When the door opened, there stood his mother. She was definitely unhappy.

“Stop shouting, would you?”

“Urm… Oh, yes! Yeah, yeah, sure. Whatever you say. Now, please, I need my privacy.”

Seunghyun pushed his mother out of his room, hoping she would at least give him some personal space. But she’s his mom, and there’s this unwritten rule that mothers get anything they want.

Oh, hold on.

Well, would you look at that, it actually a written rule. My bad.
“Wait a minute…” She said sternly, inhaling sharply as they both freeze. “Something smells fishy…”

“W-what?” Seunghyun whined, taking a sniff of his shirt. “But I just showered.”

His mother rolled her eyes and gave him a slight slap on his arm, earning another whine from him. “I wasn’t talking about you, Seunghyun.” She sighed.

“G-good to know…”

“I mean, something seems wrong with you today,” His mom raised a brow, slowly walking to his study desk and sat on his chair. “Something bad happened?”

“Um… none that I know of, no.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” She smiled, standing up and hugged Seunghyun casually. “I thought something bad happened to my little boy!”

“Mom,” Seunghyun exhaled, trying to resist from rolling his eyes to be polite. “I’m not a little kid anymore. Stop treating me like one, okay?”

She doesn’t reply for a few seconds, pouting with her sad eyes. Seunghyun felt guilty.

“Okay, okay. This is an exception, only to you…” He sighed, “…My mommy.”

“Aww! Now there’s the Seunghyun I know and love!” She smiled wider, her eye wrinkles visible than ever.

She gave him a peck on the cheek and left the room, leaving Seunghyun all to himself. It was what he wanted, some alone time. But it felt better with his mother.

Seunghyun felt both relieved and sad.

He sighed, smiling at the same time.

“Oh, right!” The brown haired kid beamed, slopping over his chair and opened the desk forcefully, taking the diary out. “Almost forgot!”

‘Almost.’

Seunghyun decided to take another look at the map.

It was very detailed, including every bit of whatever on it. It was confusing to look at, with such fine details. But what confused Seunghyun the most, was the bright red lines on it, showing the direction.

But just luckily, Seunghyun spots something at the very bottom of the note.

Hint: Must pour water over.

"W-what?" Seunghyun muttered, cocking his head to the side, not yet understanding what it meant, "Water? But wait, didn't it get soaked when that truck splashed rain water all over it?"

"Y-yes..."

"Yes, it did."

"Yes, it did get soaked in water!"

"Yes!" He exclaimed, shouting at the top of his lungs, tightly gripping the note in his hands.

"W-wait," Seunghyun calmed down, sitting back on his study chair, "What the hell am I so happy about?"

"Beat's me..."

Seunghyun sighed, looking at the map again. He bit his lower lip, folding the note into a small square, stuffing it into his pocket. He grabbed the diary off his desk and barged out of his room. He jogged downstairs, swinging his backpack on one shoulder, grabbed his thick rimmed sunglasses, and exited the house.

"Bye, mom!" The boy shouted, about to close the door, "I'm uh... going to the library!"

He waited for a reply, and as usual, his mom would say, "Be back before diner!", and that was a sign meaning, "Yes, you could go."

Seunghyun shut the door closed with a loud 'bang' and rushed to the lawn, sat on his bicycle, and threw the diary in the bike's basket. I know, what kind of high schooler would have those girly bicycles with a basket in the front? 

He smirked, wore his sunglasses in a cool manner, copying those detective spies on T.V, and whispered,

"I guess it's time for a treasure hunt."

.   .   .   .   .


"Urgh, this map is so confusing."

Seunghyun complained, curling his lower lip into a pout, turning the map around and around. He was in the middle of nowhere, also known as a few blocks away from his house. It became hotter, and it became harder to focus. Seunghyun sighed, thinking that he wouldn't find what this map leads to, but he thought wrong...

"This is useless," He sighed, flopping down onto the hot grass at the nearby park. His bicycle was parked somewhere close, right next to a bench, just in case he gains hope to get back to his adventure. Seunghyun frowned, whispering softly, "I'm never gonna find the treasure..."

He slouched, arching his back to fit a hand under his head. He was tired, no- exhausted.

The brown haired boy rode his bicycle in the hot sun, going circles and circles just to find whatever that’s written in the map. Seunghyun his dry, chapped lips, losing himself in his thoughts as the white clouds above him sway through the bright blue sky.

"Hey, that looks like a dinosaur," Seunghyun chuckled, pointing at the dinosaur looking cloud, talking to himself, "Ooh, and that one looks like a cookie."

As the kid cloud watched, laughing at his own stupid jokes, he didn't realize that he had forgotten all about the diary and his journey, until someone had to give him a signal...

"Hmm?" Seunghyun pondered, tilting his head, "That cloud looks like an arrow, like those half-looping refresh arrow buttons..."

Sitting up-right, he wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead, still gazing at the weird cloud. "Is this...?"

"Hold up, "

Seunghyun stood up forcingly, running towards his bicycle and grabbing the diary off the basket and sitting on the park bench next to it. He placed it on his lap and took the folded map out of his pocket. The brown haired boy then unfolded it, reopening to it's full size. Seunghuyn glanced up again, seeing the same arrow-looking cloud. He lowered his gaze onto the map, turning it upside down.

Who would've guessed that he had the map upside down this whole time? Definitely not Choi Seunghyun.

"What a moron," Seunghyun cursed, insulting himself over his stupidness, "How the hell wouldn’t I know this ing thing is upside down?!"

Maybe because everything is upside down. Duh.

A smile crept on Seunghyun's face. He threw the diary back into the basket and slung his backpack on his shoulders, sitting on the bike. He, again, wore his sunglasses, smirking.

"I guess this is part two of my journey."

 

.   .   .   .   .

"Is this it...?"

Seunghyun scanned the map again. His gaze lowered above, looking at the scenery. It was gloomy and scary, with nobody there. The grass and plants were close to dying, just like the people there. Know where this is? It's the...

"Cementary?" He asked, eyes widened, carefully studying the map again.

"T-this couldn't be it," Seunghyun mumbled, turning the map upside down again and again, "This isn't it."

"Okay, calm down, Seunghyun," 

"Just... calm down..."

Seunghyun exhaled a big sigh, letting out all his worries. He shut his eyes closed, then opening them to again see the view of the cementary. He rubbed his eyes aggressively, hoping it was just his imaginations, but no.

Seunghyun examined the map again, placing a finger on the bright red lines, following the direction it was going. Eventually, it reached a spot, which was where Seunghyun was standing, the cementary.

"W-what?" He bit his lip, "This is it?"

The boy, frightened, took a step forward, moving closer to the cementary. He barely made a few feet if it wasn't for his fears. Seunghyun felt a huge knot in his throat. He was trembling, he was scared. Of all places, it just had to be the cementary.

"C'mon, Seunghyun," He muttered, again, taking another step forward, "You could do this."

“Just chill.”

Chill.

Another step a time, Seunghyun became more anxious to what the treasure would be. But then again, if he stole the treasure, the ghosts might haunt him for the rest of his life, and if he didn't, then it was a waste of 5,000 Won.

Finally, he at least made it on the grass. At least.

Seunghyun whispered a few words of encouragement to himself, and walked on. Of course, he was still afraid, but he had to go on, he didn't know why, it was just a great feeling.

Sooner or later, he was just strolling casually through all the graves, reading a few of what’s written on it. But one made him even more frightened...

R.I.P Kim Hana
1998 - 2013

"W-what...?" Seunghyun stuttered, his legs trembling, mind blank, "S-she's d-dead...?"

Seunghyun quickly ran back to get the diary, flipping through the few last pages, not caring whether they would rip. He gulped, reading it carefully, the page that he carelessly missed...


Friday, July 5, 2013

     I'm sick of everything.

My life is a disaster.

I'm saying my last farewell...


Goodbye.


Seunghyun blinked, thinking of what she actually meant.

"Did she... commit suicide?"

He swallowed the lump in his throat, flipping the pages after that, but there was nothing. Everything else were just blank pages, untouched and plain. Seunghyun his dry lips, turning the pages back to the start, where he wanted to start again.

This diary belongs to Kim Hana.

If found, please return to the owner.

Seunghyun froze still for a while, lost in his own thoughts. Then he did a double take and placed the diary on the cold, hard ground, right on her grave. He sighed, forcing a smile and looked straight at the diary. He forced a smile, even if he felt like dying inside.

"Hi, I'm Choi Seunghyun," Seunghyun started, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, "I'm currently a junior in high school."

"So anyways," He bit his lower lip as the cool summer breeze hit him, sending shivers down his spine. "I may, or may not have... read your diary, i-if that's okay with you?"

"I mean, it wasn't on purpose of anything, but I just y'know... was curious of what's in it."

"I know, I know, I'm terribly sorry," Seunghyun bowed a little, just to show how sorry he was, "In my defense, I'm kinda an idiot."

'Kinda.' Pfft, yeah, right.

"But hey, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have gotten your diary back. Am I right, or am I right?"

"So, I just wanted to tell you that I bought your diary off some old dude at a garage sale. He was pretty mean, but I got it for 5,000 Won. What a bargain, right? Oh wait- that means you owe me 5,000 Won!”

"Pay up!" Seunghyun childishly showed his palm, followed by a continous laugh, "Hey, hey, I'm kidding."

"Ooh, I almost forgot!" He exclaimed, stopped laughing and took out the folded map out of his pocket.

"This map... it was in your diary. I followed it's directions but it was just endless, then I found out it was upside down this whole time! Like I said, I'm an idiot..." The boy's grin vanished as he whispered the last part.

Seunghyun cleared his throat and started again, "So yeah, I guess this is a happy ending?"

Silence.

He sighed, placing the map back into his pocket, "As long as the diary is with it's rightful owner, it's a happy ending? Right?"

“Please, at least, say something…”

That suddenly blurted out of him.

Everything suddenly stopped. It was so gloomy and dark, Seunghyun could hear his own heartbeat through the howling winds. He sighed again, whispering, "It is a happy ending."

"Oh, would you look at that," Seunghyun changed the topic, glancing to his wristwatch, "It's almost time for dinner."

"I wish I could stay and chat, but Mom's waiting..."

"So, I guess this is goodbye," The kid smiled shyly, bowing, "Goodbye."

Seunghyun rushed back to his bicycle, without turning back. He quickly went off, disappearing into the sunset, and that was the last time he had seen that diary ever again.

The cool summer wind howled, blowing the diary's pages open to the very last blank page, scribbling the words, "Don't go."


.
.
.

THE END.

The last place Seunghyun thought he'd be spending his allowance on is some cheesy garage sale, but surprise, surprise- it suddenly moved up to first place.

There were tons of other places that he would rather be happy spending his hard work for chores on. Like, for example, the mall, or for new clothes, or even some ice cream. But the garage sale was definitely not one of them.

So there Seunghyun stood, on the plain green grass of some old man's lawn, tired and grumpy from walking all the way to the shopping mall just to find out that they were closed. 

"Hmph. What kind of mall closes on the weekends?" Seunghyun grumbled, stomping the wildflowers under his sneakers, "...And on summer vacation?"

"What a bummer," He sighed, his eyes quickly scanned the place and held up an antique mug, "Hey, mister! How much does this huge mug cost?"

"That's not a mug, kid, it's a vase!" 

Opps, scratch that. He was holding up an antique vase.

"Really?" Seunghyun titled his head, examining the vase in his hands, "It doesn't look like it."

"Oh, shut up."

Seunghyun tsked, putting his hands on his hip, swaying his head side to side, "Manners, old man."

"You," The old man mumbled, glaring at the kid, "Just shut up."

"Fine, fine," Seunghyun sighed, trying to hold in his laughter, "Whatever you say, big guy."

And then the conversation stopped.

Sunghyun didn't mind. He couldn't think of anything else to restart it. So he took this advantage and kept on searching for things, but he didn't find anything that he fancied. He still searched, though. It wasn't crowded with people, so it made him have everything for himself. Seunghyun sighed, eyes drooping as he scanned the whole table of useless junk.

"Hurry up, kid, I'm not getting any younger."

"Well, that's a shocker," Seunghyun mumbled, glaring at the old man in front of him, laid back on his rocking chair, without a care in the world. "Who would've guessed it?"

Thankfully, the old guy didn't hear him, so Seunghyun continued playing around with whatever he laid eyes on. He studied each and every item on the table, silently and carefully, not wanting to miss a single object. Then, something caught his eye. "How much is this one, mister?" He asked, holding up an old, used cassete tape.

"That? I'd say 30,000  Won." The old man grunted, obviously uninterested in Seunghyun's question.

He frowned, knowing that he couldn't afford that. Saddened, Seunghyun placed it back on the table and continued wandering around. Again, something else caught his eye. Seunghyun pointed onto an antique urn, so close that he was almost poking it. "What about this?" 

"Probably 100,000."

Seunghyun froze, only blinking rapidly. He titled his head and glanced at the urn again, slowly doing the math. Just then, the answer popped out of his head. "Wait, w-what? B-but it's so old, and it even has cracks on it!" Seunghyun argued, pointing at each and every imperfection on it. "How the hell could something so old be so expensive?"

"Because that's an antique, kid!" He growled, annoyed that the boy couldn't figure out something so simple, "Just look at it! It says 'antique' all over!"

He held the urn in his hands, spinning it around a few times, unaware that he might have broken it if he clumsily let go. "Hmm? I don't see anything but 'old' and 'crummy' on it." Seunghyun said flatly, keeping the poker face.

The old man stood up from his chair, hitting Seunghyun with his walking stick a few times without any mercy, "Geez, this kid!"

Seunghyun backed away, fighting the walking stick as he laughed uncontrollably. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry!" He yelled.

Either the old guy got tired of hitting Seunghyun, or he just felt pity on him. Either way, he stopped and sat back down on his study rocking chair, probably feeling exhausted from punishing the kid. Seunghyun panted, standing a few feet back just in case he would start the fight again. "Well, could I at least get a discount?" He pulled his lower lip into a pout, acting as cute as he can. "Pwease?"

The old man sighed and leaned back. "Well, if you put it that way, no." He then turned his head to the side before hitting his walking stick onto a sign board. "Read it, kid."

Seunghyun turned his eyes to the board, squinting his eyes as he read the words out loud.

"No discounts. Buy it, or leave it."

"What kind of stupid rule is that? This is just a garage sale for Pete's sake!" He shouted, flopping his arms around in frustration. Admit it, he looked pretty stupid.

"It's the policy. If you want it, buy it. Don't want it, leave it." 

"Policy, my ." Seunghyun mumbled, "What kind of a stinkin' garage sale doesn't allow discounts?"

"Hey," The old man raised his voice, poking the same walking stick onto Seunghyun's cheek, "I heard you."

He smiled sheepishy, still having the stick on his face, followed by a short bow. He could've apologized, but the old man seemed to have not cared. They both shrug at the same time, moving their shoulders down, followed by a chuckle from both of them. It was pretty much a miracle how Seunghyun could make friends so fast. It was just a few minutes ago when he first met the old guy. They didn't seem to have anything much in common, their age, hobbies, life. But Sehunghyun didn't mind. Friends are friends, nevertheless the people.

Seunghyun still searched for whatever he wanted, but everything there was either broken and useless, or overly expensive. But by luck, something at the edge of the rusty table caught his attention. He walked over, biting his lip, just wishing it was something awesome to cover up all the other things he wanted. It was covered with an old rag, but it's rectangular shape still stood out.

The boy stood still for a second, trying to guess what it could be. But after a few minutes of thinking, Seunghyun decided to just see for himself. He took off the rag, coughing as all it's dust flew around. He flapped his arms in the air, moving the dusty air from his face and held what seemed to be a notebook.

"Hey, how 'bout this notebook?" Seunghyun raised a dusty worn out notebook in the air, hoping that the price is as low as how much he's got.

"Hmm..." The man thought for a while, tapping his finger on his wrinkly chin as he muttered some words, "I guess that could just be 5,000 Won."

"You're kidding, right?"

"When you're this old, there's nothing to kid about." The old man laughed. From the way it looked, it must've been long since he had a good laugh.

Seunghyun smiled back at him. He looked at the book and placed his hand on it's old cover, admiring it as he felt it's rough texture. He shot a smile at the notebook, then giving a handshake to the old man.

"Deal."

.   .   .   .   .

 

"Man, why is it so hot?"

Seunghyun put a hand over his forehead, covering his face from the sunshine. The early July heat sapped all the energy from him, but left enough to at least his ice cream. He sat down on the sidewalk, not really caring about all the dirt and germs from all the other kids that had sat there before, and again, his ice cream.

He looked around, admiring the place. There wasn't that much to admire, actually. Everything seemed to be melting from the heat. The people, shops, nature, everything was melting for sure. But Seunghyun didn't mind. As long as he had his ice cream, everything's all right. Even if he was sitting on the sidewalk in front of a convenience store, close to the trash can, sweating like a pig under the scorching hot sun, he didn't mind.

Okay, maybe he did a little.

Scooching a bit, Seunghyun moved further from the trash can, rubbing his along the burning hot sidewalk. The reeking smell from the trash was still strong, and he was now clearly out in the sun, without any shade. But it was, at least, better than where he was before. 

Kinda.

The boy couldn't care less. Instead, he looked at the bright side, which was his ice cream.

"Don't worry, Mr. Cookie Dough, I'll finish you up before you melt." Seunghyun smiled, a little bit too creepily, before devouring the sweet treat, gulping it all into his mouth.

But his plan totally backfired. Instead of savoring it, he choked. Seunghyun patted his chest aggressively, trying to get it out of his throat. He coughed as hard as he could, immediately standing up and hiding in the narrow alleyway, wanting to vomit. He bent down, with all his might, pounding his chest again and again. Fortunately, it made it out. Seunghyun leaned back at the wall, panting, thinking 'That was totally awesome!'

This may be stupid, but who the hell would choke on ice cream? Choi Seunghyun, that's who. And who the hell would praise himself for almost dying from a harmless ice cream? The one and only, Choi Seunghyun. When your mom told you that you were special, she sure was right.

Seunghyun walked back to where he was sitting, on the sidewalk. He stretched his arms around, making the weirdest groans as he yawned and flopped onto the ground, forgetting that it was burning hot. The boy regretted it immediately, scouring his slowly to heal it.

"Owie, that hurts..." Seunghyun pouted, adjusting his rear as he wiggled on his place. He soon forgot about it and reached for his backpack, placing it on his lap. The kid rummaged in his bag, messily searching for his Iphone, ping the hidden side pocket and took it out. Instantly, Seunghyun plugged in his earphones, losing himself in his own crazy thoughts as the music blasted into his ears.

The music was on full blast, loud enough to not hear anything from his surroundings. Seunghyun totally didn't mind, because that's what he wanted; to chill with music while eating ice cream.

The song started out slowly, but when the chorus kicked in, let's just say he went full overboard. The ice cream and music loving kid bobbed his head to the beat, having his own air guitar solo, mouthing the lyrics with all his might.

I swear, he looked so retarded. But, hey, we all got our own taste, right?
 
"Wow, Fantastic Baby!" Seunghyun raised both his arms in the air, fists clenced with enthasium.

Just some people are crazier than others.

I guess music takes over your brain or something because Seunghyun was kicking and punching the air continuously, as if there was a punching dummy in front of him. He accidentally kicked his backpack, tumbling it over as all of his belongings spilled out. Seunghyun stopped, groaned annoyingly and took off the earphones. He began picking up each and every object, until he notices the old notebook he bought at the garage sale a while ago.

"Hmm?" Seunghyun stopped mid-way of grabbing the notebook. He thought for a second, hesitating. "Should I read it?"

Swiftly, he took the notebook and placed it on his lap. The brown haired boy examined it's cover very carefully, but all that's on it is black, rough leather, nothing else. Not even any writing on it, nor  a name or anything. Seunghyun began to be suspicious as he held the edges of the book, opening it to the very first page.

This diary belongs to Kim Hana.

"What?" He muttered, shocked and confused, "T-this is a diary?"

He began flipping to the next page, and it answered his question...


Sunday, June 23, 2013

          Hello, to whoever is reading this. My name is Kim Hana. I am a freshman in high school. I am writing this diary for my future self, but I don't think I would be able to read it. I don't know why, I don't know.



Seunghyun cringed, still confused, speechless as he read the girl's diary. He checked the date, June 23, 2013. "It was last year..." He mumbled as he looked above for a while, thinking, "Kim Hana sure sounds familiar..."

The kid stood there, still thinking, wondering why her name sounds so familiar. It wasn't any ordinary name or anything, it was just very familiar. Too familiar that he couldn't put a finger on it.

"Oh, wait!" Seunghyun exclaimed, the light bulb on his head glowing brightly. "Isn't she like some model or something?" 

Maybe, maybe not.

"Wow, I've never thought I'd be reading a super model's diary! This is the best day ever!” Seunghyun squealed, grinning widely. “Well, if you minus the part when I choked on ice cream, then that's the best day ever."

As you can see, Choi Seunghyun is a very...erm, unique boy.

The boy squealed uncontrollably as he turned to the next page, anticipating to read more juicy secrets about the so-thought 'super model.'


Monday, June 24, 2013

          Today is the exact same date when my mother died a few years ago. I wish I could've visited her grave, but her body wasn't even found by the investigators, so how could I see her? These days, I would look up into the dark night sky, because I know she is out there somewhere. It may not be Earth, but just somewhere.

I love you, mom.



"Woah," Seunghyun slouched back, surprised. "I-I'm really sorry for your loss..." He muttered, biting his lip as he caressed the page softly. Even if he didn't know who she was, he felt pretty bad for her. He shook off that thought and flipped to the next page.


Tuesday, June 25, 2013

          Exams are starting, that means summer vacation is coming close. Unlike my classmates, I don't like summer vacation. They all hang out with their friends or family, having the best time of their life. But me, I just stay in my shabby room in this suffocating house, covering my ears from what seems to be my dad and his girlfriend. It's not that I hate my dad, but after my mom left, he was always depressed. Soon, it became worse. He started drinking every day, having a new girlfriend every week, and yet, he doesn't seem to notice me. I was always there for him, but he was never there for me.



Page after page, it became sadder.


Thursday, June 30, 2013

School is finally over. It's summer vacation for the next three months. I wish I had enough courage to tell my crush I liked him, but I just couldn't. He was right in front of me, staring into my eyes, and then I just blanked out. I don't know what happened, I don't know.

I may not have the courage to tell you in person, so I will tell you in here, in my diary.

I like you, Choi Seun-



Without any warning, a huge road truck passed by, splattering all the dirty mud water of last night's rain, onto Seunghyun's face.

"Argh," He yelled, instantly standing up and waving to the road trucker, showing an impolite finger at him, "Stupid road trucks!"

Seunghyun wiped his face, but his whole body was just covered in dirty rain water of the summer's rain. And the worst part is...

the diary's soaked.

"Hey, idiot!" He shouted, running towards the truck, "I ing paid 5,000 Won for this diary! You know how much that is? Huh?!"

Seunghyun shouted in frustration again, pulling out his hair as he turned the book upside down and shook off the access water from it. Though, it was no use. The whole diary was soaking wet, but Seunghyun had a plan.

Rushing to the convenience store, Seunghyun tightly held the diary, running inside. The cool air conditioner's breeze greeted him, but he ignored it, going straight to the cashier guy.

"Hey, mind if I use the bathroom?"

The latter was a high school student, probably working part-time. He was wearing the usual uniform, thick-rimmed glasses, paired with squeaky clean white Converse, and held a broom in his hands.

"Pfft, what a nerd," Seunghyun thought, showing a slight smile.

The student stood there, frozen, to seeing some random stranger walk in, all muddy, asking for permission to use the bathroom. Obviously, both of them don't know the answer.

"Erm," He said, binking a few times before scanning Seunghyun from head to toe, as if he was some kind of metal-detector. "I-I guess you could, but-"

"Thanks." Seunghyun waved, smiling widely as he walked straight into the bathroom, leaving the latter confused. He barged the door open with the sole of his sneakers, the only part where the water didn't splash, meeting the white tiled walls of the bathroom. Seunghyun looked at himself through the mirror, seeing a person all messed up and dirty, that was him.

"Urgh," The boy ran a hand through his muddy hair. "Why, of all people, did it have to be me?"

He stomped in anger, then looked at his reflection again. His gaze lowered to the diary, seeing it all wet and dirty. "God, how the hell am I gonna fix this?"

Seunghyun turned the tap on, washing his hands and face, making sure all the mud gets out. He shook his hands, letting the water droplets fall as he let the automatic hand dryer do the rest. The kid looked back to the diary, still in thought of how to clean it.

"Aha!" Seunghyun beamed, having the light bulb appear magically on his head again. He snatched the diary off the sink and placed it under the hand dryer, instantly pushing the button. "This should do the work."

After a few minutes later, it was, at least, not as muddy as it was before. 

Kinda.

Seunghyun raised the book up to his eye's height level, checking it's quality. It wasn't 'good as new', but it was, "Close enough," He sighed.

He looked into the mirror again, seeing himself. His muddy school uniform, covered in brownish water mixed with who the hell knows? Only his face and hands were clear, since he washed them just a while ago. Seunghyun sighed, giving himself a forced wink before leaving the bathroom.

The diary in his hands was still a bit damp, but it was better than it was before. Seunghyun walked out, waving to the cashier dude again with a short bow, followed by an audible, "Thanks, again."

Seunghyun exited, still mad from what happened, slung his backpack on his shoulder and began walking straight home. He cursed under his breath, gripping the diary tightly, stomping, clenching his teeth. Anger, all that's Seunghyun is feeling is anger. He didn't know why, he just felt... mad. Mad at who, I don't know. But for a guess, I'm gonna say that road trucker. Just sayin', just sayin’.

The boy stopped suddenly, staring deeply at the diary, and smiled.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

.   .   .   .   .
 


"Erm, I'm starting to think Kim Hana isn't a super model..."

Seunghhyun pouted, leaning back in in comfy study chair, which he doesn't use to study, and let’s out a big sigh. He stayed like that, frozen and still, thinking of how stupid he was when he mistakened her.

"God, why am I so stupid?" He whined, shrugging. Oh, don't worry, there's sarcasm intended. Not really. "She couldn't be a model, she's just a freshman in high school."

The boy sighed, reclining his chair, thinking more about Kim Hana. Seunghyun bit his lip, having short flashbacks about what he read in her diary.

My name is Kim Hana.

I love you, mom.

I was always there for him, but Dad was never there for me.

I wish I had enough courage to tell my crush I liked him, but I just couldn't.

2013


"Wait, if that was dated last year, when she was a freshman, then that means she would be a junior now, which means she's my age," Seunghyun muttered, stressing every important word.

"Then that means we were in the same grade, and that's why her name was so familiar!" He snapped his fingers, beaming happily to his extent.

"But then again, that means I'm not reading the personal diary of a super duper hot super model."

"Though, on the bright side, this is some pretty juicy stuff she's got in here."

The boy stood up sternly, grabbing the book of his desk and stuffing his nose in it, reading again, carefully. Just to make sure everything was clear, he started from the beginning, right from 'This diary belongs to Kim Hana.'

Seunghyun pretty much just went through each page, flipping every page aggressively. He didn't have that much of concentration, actually. He was just carelessly turning every page, scanning the passages, as if he had an Eidetic memory, which he did not.

Seunghyun casually turned to the few last pages, and suddenly, just out of the blue, a folded piece of paper fell.

"Hmm?" He bent down, picking it up, "What's this...?"

Please open.

"My pleasure, I guess..." Seunghyun mumbled, opening it to it's full size. He carefully examined it, but just by anybody's guess, it's definitely a map.

"Woah," He yelled, happy yet a little freaked out, "This is the jackpot!"

“Jackpot, baby!”

“Seunghyun, keep it down!” Seunghyun’s mom shouted. “The neighbors are complaining again!”

“Sorry, mom!” The brown haired boy replied, scanning the map again and again. “Man, this is certainly jackpot!”

“I said stop shouting! Stop shouting!”

You’re shouting, too, mom!”

“Why, this kid…” She yelled, but then it became quiet. Seunghyun shrugged and ignored it, but just soon the door burst with loud knocks.

Uh-oh.

Seunghyun quickly shoved everything in his desk. It was already full, but hey, a notebook would fit, right?

“Hold it!” The boy said, walking to the door. ”I-I’m coming! I’m coming!”

He heaved a deep sigh before unlocking it, his hands trembling at the same time. When the door opened, there stood his mother. She was definitely unhappy.

“Stop shouting, would you?”

“Urm… Oh, yes! Yeah, yeah, sure. Whatever you say. Now, please, I need my privacy.”

Seunghyun pushed his mother out of his room, hoping she would at least give him some personal space. But she’s his mom, and there’s this unwritten rule that mothers get anything they want.

Oh, hold on.

Well, would you look at that, it actually a written rule. My bad.
“Wait a minute…” She said sternly, inhaling sharply as they both freeze. “Something smells fishy…”

“W-what?” Seunghyun whined, taking a sniff of his shirt. “But I just showered.”

His mother rolled her eyes and gave him a slight slap on his arm, earning another whine from him. “I wasn’t talking about you, Seunghyun.” She sighed.

G-good to know…”

“I mean, something seems wrong with you today,” His mom raised a brow, slowly walking to his study desk and sat on his chair. “Something bad happened?”

“Um… none that I know of, no.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” She smiled, standing up and hugged Seunghyun casually. “I thought something bad happened to my little boy!”

Mom,” Seunghyun exhaled, trying to resist from rolling his eyes to be polite. “I’m not a little kid anymore. Stop treating me like one, okay?”

She doesn’t reply for a minute or two, pouting with her sad eyes. Seunghyun felt guilty.

“Okay, okay. This is an exception, only to you…”

“…My mommy.

“Aww! Now there’s the Seunghyun I know and love!” She smiled wider, the wrinkles at the corners of being more visible to the eye, but Seunghyun still loved her more than anyone.

She gave him a peck on the cheek and left the room, leaving Seunghyun all to himself. It was what he wanted, some alone time. But it felt better with his mother.

Seunghyun felt both relieved and sad.

He sighed, smiling at the same time.

“Oh yeah!” The brown haired kid beamed, slopping over his chair and opened the desk forcefully, taking the diary out. “Almost forgot!”

‘Almost.’

Seunghyun decided to take another look at the map.

It was very detailed, including every bit of whatever on it. It was confusing to look at, with such fine details, but what confused Seunghyun the most, was the bright red lines on it, showing the direction.

But just luckily, Seunghyun spots something at the very bottom of the note.

Hint: Must pour water over.

"W-what?" Seunghyun muttered, cocking his head to the side, not yet understanding what it meant, "Water? But wait, didn't it get soaked when that truck splashed rain water all over it?"

"Y-yes..."

"Yes, it did."

"Yes, it did get soaked in water!"

"Yes!" He exclaimed, shouting at the top of his lungs, tightly gripping the note in his hands.

"W-wait," Seunghyun calmed down, sitting back on his study chair, "What the hell am I so happy about?"

"Beat's me..."

Seunghyun sighed, looking at the map again. He bit his lower lip, folding the note into a small square, stuffing it into his pocket. He grabbed the diary off his desk and barged out of his room. He jogged downstairs, swinging his backpack on one shoulder, grabbed his thick rimmed sunglasses, and exited the house.

"Bye, mom!" The boy shouted, about to close the door, "I'm uh... going to the library!"

He waited for a reply, and as usual, his mom would say, "Be back before diner!", and that was a sign meaning, "Yes, you could go."

Seunghyun shut the door closed with a loud 'bang' and rushed to the lawn, sat on his bicycle, and threw the diary in the bike's basket. I know, what kind of high schooler would have those girly bicycles with a basket in the front? Once again, it's Choi Seunghyun.

He smirked, wore his sunglasses in a cool manner, copying those detective spies on T.V, and whispered,

"I guess it's time for a treasure hunt."

.   .   .   .   .


"Urgh, this map is so confusing."

Seunghyun complained, curling his lower lip into a pout, turning the map around and around. He was in the middle of nowhere, also known as a few blocks away from his house. It became hotter, and it became harder to focus. Seunghyun sighed, thinking that he wouldn't find what this map leads to, but he thought wrong...

"This is useless," He sighed, flopping down onto the hot grass at the nearby park. His bicycle was parked somewhere close, right next to a bench, just in case he gains hope to get back to his adventure. Seunghyun frowned, whispering softly, "I'm never gonna find the treasure..."

He slouched, arching his back to fit a hand under his head. He was tired, no- exhausted.

The brown haired boy rode his bicycle in the hot sun, going circles and circles just to find whatever that’s written in the map. Seunghyun his dry, chapped lips, losing himself in his thoughts as the white clouds above him sway through the bright blue sky.

"Hey, that looks like a dinosaur," Seunghyun chuckled, pointing at the dinosaur looking cloud, talking to himself, "Ooh, and that one looks like a cookie."

As the kid cloud watched, laughing at his own stupid jokes, he didn't realize that he had forgotten all about the diary and his journey, until someone had to give him a signal...

"Hmm?" Seunghyun pondered, tilting his head, "That cloud looks like an arrow, like those half-looping refresh arrow buttons..."

Sitting up-right, he wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead, still gazing at the weird cloud. "Is this...?"

"Hold up, "

Seunghyun stood up forcingly, running towards his bicycle and grabbing the diary off the basket and sitting on the park bench next to it. He placed it on his lap and took the folded map out of his pocket. The brown haired boy then unfolded it, reopening to it's full size. Seunghuyn glanced up again, seeing the same arrow-looking cloud. He lowered his gaze onto the map, turning it upside down.

Who would've guessed that he had the map upside down this whole time? Definitely not Choi Seunghyun.

"What a moron," Seunghyun cursed, insulting himself over his stupidness, "How the hell wouldn’t I know this ing thing is upside down?!"

Maybe because everything is upside down. Duh.

A smile crept on Seunghyun's face. He threw the diary back into the basket and slung his backpack on his shoulders, sitting on the bike. He, again, wore his sunglasses, smirking.

"I guess this is part two of my journey."

 


.   .   .   .   .

"Is this it...?"

Seunghyun scanned the map again. His gaze lowered above, looking at the scenery. It was gloomy and scary, with nobody there. The grass and plants were close to dying, just like the people there. Know where this is? It's the...

"Cementary?" He asked, eyes widened, carefully studying the map again.

"T-this couldn't be it," Seunghyun mumbled, turning the map upside down again and again, "This isn't it."

"Okay, calm down, Seunghyun," 

"Just... calm down..."

Seunghyun exhaled a big sigh, letting out all his worries. He shut his eyes closed, then opening them to again see the view of the cementary. He rubbed his eyes aggressively, hoping it was just his imaginations, but no.

Seunghyun examined the map again, placing a finger on the bright red lines, following the direction it was going. Eventually, it reached a spot, which was where Seunghyun was standing, the cementary.

"W-what?" He bit his lip, "This is it?"

The boy, frightened, took a step forward, moving closer to the cementary. He barely made a few feet if it wasn't for his fears. Seunghyun felt a huge knot in his throat. He was trembling, he was scared. Of all places, it just had to be the cementary.

"C'mon, Seunghyun," He muttered, again, taking another step forward, "You could do this."

“Just chill.”

Chill.

Another step a time, Seunghyun became more anxious to what the treasure would be. But then again, if he stole the treasure, the ghosts might haunt him for the rest of his life, and if he didn't, then it was a waste of 5,000 Won.

Finally, he at least made it on the grass. At least.

Seunghyun whispered a few words of encouragement to himself, and walked on. Of course, he was still afraid, but he had to go on, he didn't know why, it was just a great feeling.

Sooner or later, he was just strolling casually through all the graves, reading a few of what’s written on it. But one made him even more frightened...

R.I.P Kim Hana
1998 - 2013


"W-what...?" Seunghyun stuttered, his legs trembling, mind blank, "S-she's d-dead...?"

Seunghyun quickly ran back to get the diary, flipping through the few last pages, not caring whether they would rip. He gulped, reading it carefully, the page that he carelessly missed...


Friday, July 5, 2013

     I'm sick of everything.

My life is a disaster.

I'm saying my last farewell...


Goodbye.



Seunghyun blinked, thinking of what she actually meant.

"Did she... commit suicide?"

He swallowed the lump in his throat, flipping the pages after that, but there was nothing. Everything else were just blank pages, untouched and plain. Seunghyun his dry lips, turning the pages back to the start, where he wanted to start again.

This diary belongs to Kim Hana.

If found, please return to the owner.


Seunghyun froze still for a while, lost in his own thoughts. Then he did a double take and placed the diary on the cold, hard ground, right on her grave. He sighed, forcing a smile and looked straight at the diary. He forced a smile, even if he felt like dying inside.

"Hi, I'm Choi Seunghyun," Seunghyun started, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, "I'm currently a junior in high school."

"So anyways," He bit his lower lip as the cool summer breeze hit him, sending shivers down his spine. "I may, or may not have... read your diary, i-if that's okay with you?"

"I mean, it wasn't on purpose of anything, but I just y'know... was curious of what's in it."

"I know, I know, I'm terribly sorry," Seunghyun bowed a little, just to show how sorry he was, "In my defense, I'm kinda an idiot."

'Kinda.' Pfft, yeah, right.

"But hey, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have gotten your diary back. Am I right, or am I right?"

"So, I just wanted to tell you that I bought your diary off some old dude at a garage sale. He was pretty mean, but I got it for 5,000 Won. What a bargain, right? Oh wait- that means you owe me 5,000 Won!”

"Pay up!" Seunghyun childishly showed his palm, followed by a continous laugh, "Hey, hey, I'm kidding."

"Ooh, I almost forgot!" He exclaimed, stopped laughing and took out the folded map out of his pocket.

"This map... it was in your diary. I followed it's directions but it was just endless, then I found out it was upside down this whole time! Like I said, I'm an idiot..." The boy's grin vanished as he whispered the last part.

Seunghyun cleared his throat and started again, "So yeah, I guess this is a happy ending?"

Silence.

He sighed, placing the map back into his pocket, "As long as the diary is with it's rightful owner, it's a happy ending? Right?"

“Please, at least, say something…”

That suddenly blurted out of him.

Everything suddenly stopped. It was so gloomy and dark, Seunghyun could hear his own heartbeat through the howling winds. He sighed again, whispering, "It is a happy ending."

"Oh, would you look at that," Seunghyun changed the topic, glancing to his wristwatch, "It's almost time for dinner."

"I wish I could stay and chat, but Mom's waiting..."

"So, I guess this is goodbye," The kid smiled shyly, bowing, "Goodbye."

Seunghyun rushed back to his bicycle, without turning back. He quickly went off, disappearing into the sunset, and that was the last time he had seen that diary ever again.

The cool summer wind howled, blowing the diary's pages open to the very last blank page, scribbling the words, "Don't go."

 

.
.
.


THE END.