Summer

Summer

Engines roaring to a stop, wheels squeaking against the black runway, the airplane slowed before a caddie hooked onto it and tugged it carefully to its gate. The passengers anxiously fidgeted, resisting the urge to pull their bags out from the upper compartments and dash forth from the aircraft. The gate met the side of the plane, the doors opened, and the passengers bustled out hurriedly. One in particular stood out from the rest: he rolled out in a pair of faded blue jeans that hung low on his waist and a white T-shirt that clung to his toned upper body. Pulling the stylish sunglasses from his face as he exited the main building, he smiled. His brilliant teeth shined magnificently in contrast against his tan skin.

“Home again,” Jaebeom Park, more popularly known as Jay, sighed as he rolled his suit case across the gravelly stone of the sidewalk. Smiling as he spotted his bus pulling up to the curb, he inched closer to meet it halfway. He stepped up the staircase on the rickety bus once it had stopped, seating himself and bathing in the Los Angeles heat.

He wasn’t quite home yet- his family and old friends were up in Washington, but he was back in America on leisure time. He was going to stay for the summer: the end of June to the end of September. It was going to be all about relaxation and catching up with old friends.

Climbing off the bus and peering around the train terminal, he hopped onto a sleeper train for the trip up to Washington. Settling in his space on the train, he exhaled. It was time to breathe. It felt so good to be home again.

Exiting the train at the desired station, he soon found his mother waiting for him. It had been years since he last visited his family. Kissing his mother’s cheek, they went together to the car, putting his luggage in the trunk before slipping into the seats and driving off to the house. A short ride later and they were pulling up into the driveway of his old house. It shined with fresh paint and old furnishings. Jay could feel his heart swell with the feeling of the home.

And then he saw her. Stepping out daintily from the front door of his parents’ house was a woman with smooth, caramel skin, chocolate irises, long, straight black hair, and a great figure. Jay’s jaw almost fell through the bottom of the car.

“Stop ogling at Heeyoung. She’s the daughter of your father’s friend,” his mother scolded him, hitting his shoulder.

Bringing his head back to attention, he nodded. Unloading the car and sneaking glances at the pretty lady, Jay turned the name over in his head, muttering it to himself inaudibly.

“Heeyoung,” he sighed. Closing the trunk, he leaned against it coolly, taking his time to check Heeyoung out as she talked with his mother. “Wow,” he exhaled in an almost dream-like state.

“Jaebeom,” his mother called from the doorway. “Come inside! It’s time for dinner!”

Answering back, he jogged up to the front door. Turning through the door frame, he noticed Heeyoung sitting at the table waiting, their eyes meeting, and her bright smile lighting up his world. Smiling back dorkily, he scuttled over to the table and sat beside her.

“I’m Jay. What’s your name?” he smiled, turning his full attention to her.

“My name is Heeyoung. It’s nice to meet you,” she smiled that brilliant smile again.

His heart melted in his chest. She had manners. She was pretty. She seemed good-natured. This vacation was looking bright.

“It’s nice to meet you, too. How do you know my parents?” he relaxed in his chair as his mother set the table.

“Our fathers were friends in high school,” she answered softly, her voice laced with the remnants of an accent.

“Oh, cool. Why did he come back?”

 “My father was in the foreign-exchange program when he was in high school, so when I decided to do the exchange as well, and I ended up liking it here, we decided to move to America so I could go to college here.”

“Really? Did you guys move in nearby?”

“Just down the street!” she giggled melodiously. “What about you? Why did you come back?”

“I wanted to take some time to catch up and get away with my family and friends. It’s been a few years since I came home.”

“Work must be stressful. How long are you staying for?” she asked.

Jay was unable to answer, though, since it was time to eat. Thanking Jay’s mother for the food, they began to eat, letting the question dissipate into thin air. Jay could feel chemistry sparking between them, though- it was like magic.

After dinner, they talked about their pasts- the moderately dumb things they did, the generally funny stuff their family committed to, and any interesting facts about themselves- out on the front step as the sun grew closer to the line of trees and houses blocking the horizon. It was nice.

“I can’t believe it’s so late,” Heeyoung sighed happily, leaning her head on her hand that was propped up on her bare knee- she was wearing shorts. “How long have we been talking out here for?”

“Hours,” Jaebeom answered just as blissfully calm while also cheering on the inside. “I can’t believe it either.”

Taking note of the miniscule glints of stars in the navy sky and the blaring moon to the east, Jaebeom looked to Heeyoung. Her peach blouse hung loosely around her torso and tucked in at the waist band of her white shorts. She wasn’t wearing any makeup, but she still sparkled in the moonlight. Noticing she started becoming antsy, he inquired, “Do you have to go home?”

“I think so…” she trailed off, a slight pink tinting her cheeks as her eyes flickered up to Jaebeom’s. “Goodnight?”

“Yeah, of course,” he stuttered, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. “Do you want me to walk you home?”

“It’s just down the street,” she replied, surprised.

He shrugged. “I want to make sure you get home safe.”

Scrutinizing his sincerity between his left and right eyes, she nodded in approval. “Let’s go.”

Rising together, they walked silently down the sidewalk barely a foot away from each other. Jay kept his hands in his pockets while Heeyoung’s stayed clasped in front of her. It was a peaceful silence. Once they approached the front step, they paused a moment and turned towards each other.

“D-do,” Jay wanted to hit himself for stuttering again. “Do you want to hang out again soon?”

“I’m going to the flea market this weekend,” she smiled hopefully. “We could go together.”

“This weekend then,” he grinned. “Goodnight.”

“Bye bye,” she sang as she walked into her home.

 

“I don’t know what happened,” Jay exhaled nervously, dropping his hands past his legs. “I’m usually so smooth and confident. But around her, I just…”

“Dude, it’s okay,” Jay’s friend Sam leaned towards him as they sat on the steps of one of the walking bridges passing over the nearby highway. “You just met her right after you had just come home after a few years. It was jetlag. No biggie.”

“I don’t know, I think he likes her,” Thomas smirked dorkily at them as he lay on his back at the base of the stairs, hands behind his head.

 “Yah!” Jay yelled at him. “How could I like her? I just met her!”

“Love at first sight? Seems a little far-fetched…” Sam sighed in consideration, tilting his head at the thought.

“She’s really pretty, isn’t she? He probably just felt attracted to her. And then jetlag,” Thomas chuckled.

 Feeling his tanned face heat up, Jay nodded, “That’s probably it. Jetlag,” as if trying to convince himself.

Elbowing Jay’s side and expressing doubts, Sam got a punch to the shoulder. Laughing about it and making crude comments, they flew all over the stairs as they made up for the lost years.                         

“He’s so handsome!” Heeyoung shouted happily as she hugged her pillow to her chest. “I can’t believe he talked to me!”

“Girl,” her friend, Daniel, who was sleeping over the next night, started. “Tell me all about it.”

Heeyoung sighed dreamily. “He was tall, tan, but not too tan, and he has dark eyes, and black hair, and it’s cropped short, and he’s so handsome!” she carried the last syllable. “He’s also nice! He introduced himself politely, and we talked, and he wanted to know about me, and then we literally talked for hours on the front step of his house. I couldn’t believe it. He even walked me home!”

“Is he a gentleman or what?” Daniel grinned, polishing off her pinkie nail and grinning at Heeyoung.

“I know!” Minn whined into her pillow. She couldn’t believe how they had just clicked. She didn’t believe in love at first sight, or anything like that. It wasn’t practical, or realistic. She wasn’t in love with Jay, but she definitely felt something at first sight. Thinking back to how their eyes had met for the first time, she released the frustrations that came with the newfound emotions on her poor pillow. Calming down and taking a deep breath, she huffed. “We are going to the flea market this weekend.”

“A date already? That was fast,” Daniel commented on the sly.

“It- it’s not a date. He just asked when we could hang out again.”

“He’s moving in. Good for him.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s totally starting to approach you. He saw you and his world ignited.”

“Don’t joke with me.”

“I’m not!” Daniel laughed. “I’m just saying. He must be smitten with you.”

“What if he was being polite? What if he doesn’t really like me at all? What if he hates me?

“Where did this come from all of a sudden?” Daniel exclaimed, surprised at the sudden turn of emotions.

“But really, what if? He might be a playboy, or he could be a drug dealer, or any other number of things. He could have any number of intentions. I could die.”

“You need to calm down. Even though that’s all true, I don’t think you even think that, not really. I mean, you know his parents, right?”

Heeyoung nodded.

“They’re not bad people, right?  So why would their son be? He was working abroad right?”

Heeyoung nodded again sheepishly.

“Where?”

“South Korea, as a musician.”

“He can’t be all that bad if he was a musician.”

“Alright,” Heeyoung sighed, giving in. She doesn’t really believe he is a bad guy- she had this feeling he wasn’t, she was just psyching herself out. “If you say so.”

“Mhm!” Daniel laughed. “So, what you gonna wear?”

 

 

 

“She’s so beautiful…” Jay sighed as he watched Heeyoung chatting animatedly with the shopkeepers at the flea market. He tried not to make his gazing too obvious, but he knew he had blatantly failed when he saw the shopkeeper glance at him slyly. Looking away quickly and fighting off an array of pinks that wished to scatter across his cheeks, he glanced around the nearby stands.

He hadn’t been to a flea market since he was young- maybe his early teens? It’s not like he is old. He’s only twenty-seven, but it still felt like so long ago since he last visited. It is an outdoor one, since it is summer; the vendors and buyers bustling about noisily, haggling in some places and purchasing in others. There were so many different kinds of people in one place all with similar goals: to buy or to sell. All this under the blazing July sun and the clear blue sky.

“Jay,” Jay’s head snapped to attention at Heeyoung’s call. “Did you find something you like?”

Switching his gaze back over to where it had previously been, he noticed an accessories vendor. Turning back to Heeyoung and nodding, she followed him over to the vendor, cooing as she noticed he had brought them to the accessories.

“These are so cool,” she squeaked excitedly, hovering over the items in the display case. “What caught your eye?” she turned back to Jay.

Jay almost didn’t hear her over the luxuriousness of the necklace he was admiring. It was a small chain that was graphite grey in color with a great luster about it. The links of the chain grew larger towards a center, and in that center was a piece of a glittering salmon-colored mineral. Pulling himself away from it, he acknowledged Heeyoung’s question, pointing at the necklace he had fallen in love with. Stepping over beside him, Heeyoung fell in awe to it as well. As Jay watched her fall to its charms, he thought of how magnificent it would look against Heeyoung’s caramelized skin.

“Can she try it on?” he asked the shopkeeper without thinking.

Gently presenting it outside the case, the keeper instructed him on how to clasp and unclasp it before Jay placed it around Heeyoung’s neck. Letting down her hair and admiring the necklace draped across her collar bones, Jay could feel his blood racing through his every fiber. It was perfect.

“How much is it?” he asked thoughtlessly yet again.

“Twenty-five.”

“Hey, you don’t have to buy this for me,” Heeyoung tugged on Jay’s sleeve pleadingly, feeling burdened by the amount.

Wanting to protest because Heeyoung and that necklace were destined to be together forever with Jay by their side, he decided to compromise.

“How about we split the cost?” he proposed.

Blinking up at him in surprise, she agreed. She only paid twelve while Jay paid thirteen- which made Jay exceedingly happy: it meant he had more or less bought it for her. She wore it as they continued on their way in euphoria. They seemed to go about as if in their own little world that was only aded by conversations with the shopkeepers and the noise of the crowds.

Having cycled around multiple times and ventured through every isle and row, they took their newly collected items and left the market, walking through the expanse of parking lot to Jay’s family car. Jay opened the passenger’s side door for Heeyoung before dashing around to hop in behind the driver’s wheel. Puttering back home and enjoying light chatter, they smiled the whole ride home. The night ended with Jay walking Heeyoung to her house down the street again and a unanimous decision to hang out again really soon.

Slinking into his home and stumbling mindlessly into his room, Jay slouched against his closed door. As his hit the carpeted floor, he sighed, smiling, “This needs to happen again.”

And as Heeyoung toweled her damp hair after showering, she hummed dreamily, “I hope today never ends. I hope every time will be this perfect.”

 

The very next weekend they were out at the circus. It wasn’t a date, of course; both of their families were there with them. Jay’s mother had found out the circus was in town and demanded they all go see it. Jay was up for it if it meant spending more time getting to know Heeyoung, and Heeyoung loved circuses. She loved the way the ribbon dancers managed to stay afloat in the air, the way the ringmasters managed to keep the crowd alive, the way jugglers managed to keep their balance. It amazed her.

The duration of the circus had Jay breathless. The show was fantastic, but Heeyoung’s joyous smile made his heart skip a beat. Jay couldn’t believe what was happening. He had only known her two weeks. It’s illogical for his heart to be going berserk like this!

“Heart- calm yourself!” Jay thumped his chest, embarrassed after blushing at the sight of Heeyoung clapping happily like a seal. “I need to sit under a waterfall and meditate. I’m going to have a heart attack…!”

“Isn’t this wonderful?” Heeyoung giggled excitedly, turning to Jay once the circus took a half-time break.

Taking in Heeyoung’s eye smile and pretty pink lips, his heart thumped so fast, everything fell into slow motion. Smiling softly, lovingly, he nodded. “It’s perfect.”

“You’re perfect,” Jay thought subconsciously.

Dark chocolate eyes gazed into one another as Heeyoung deciphered the meaning behind Jay’s words.

“His smile is so beautiful. I’ve never seen someone smile like that. What is this feeling- what is he feeling?” she thought inwardly, her eyes switching focus from his right eye to his left.

Heeyoung was about to speak up, though she wasn’t sure what about, when a pair of symbols clashed and the break ended with the intrusion of an elephant and a set of camels. Averting their eyes back to the performers, Jay grinned.

“Her eyes are so beautiful.”

 

“That was so cool!” Heeyoung cheered beside Jay as they exited the circus tent at the end of the show. “The elephants were so cute! The camels were my favorite, though. What was yours?” Her eyes flickered up to Jay’s.

“You were my favorite part,” his brain thought automatically. Shaking his head internally at his own thoughts, he responded, “The ribbon dancers. I couldn’t breathe it was so amazing.” He chuckled, smiling down at Heeyoung.

“Same! It feels like they’re going to fall any minute,” Heeyoung started. “And I’m afraid to breathe.”

“‘Cause it feels like, if I do, they’ll fall,” Jay finished for her, grinning like a cat.

“Oh my god!” Heeyoung exclaimed. “I can’t believe you just finished my sentence.”

“Great minds think alike,” Jay winked at her, his teeth glinting in the trailing glow of the circus.

Heeyoung’s whole body flushed a dramatic pink.

“That was so embarrassing! Why would he do that!? Was that really a wink? No one’s ever winked at me before!” her mind turned and toiled over the motion.

Bumping her shoulder against his arm playfully and bashfully, Heeyoung glared up at Jay. Smirking, he reciprocated the action with a toothy grin. She responded likewise and back and forth they went all the way to the car.

 

“You don’t know how to roller skate?” Daniel asked Heeyoung over the phone, astounded. “How? Why? Why didn’t I know about this sooner?”

“It never came up,” Heeyoung whimpered sheepishly.

“I can’t teach you,” Daniel announced, going silent afterward, her eyebrows furrowing. “Does Jay know how?”

“Jay?” Heeyoung’s cheeks dusted over a sweet pink. “I-I think so. Why?”

“Ask him to come along. He can teach you,” Daniel chuckled darkly, scheming.

“But. Daniel. I,” Heeyoung tried to fight against Daniel’s decision, failing miserably. “So what is this? I thought we were going to go out, just the two of us?”

“I’ll bring along someone to occupy my time while Jay occupies yours. Don’t worry.”

“But we’ll still hang out, right?”

“Of course!”

“I’ll see you there, then.”

“And don’t forget to bring Jay,” Daniel sang before hanging up the phone and laughing evilly. She knew Heeyoung had the biggest crush on Jay, but she also had the feeling Jay had a huge crush on Heeyoung, too. She was going to set them up and make sure they happened.

 

 

 

“Go slow, it’ll be okay. Just hold my hand- it’ll help.”

“I can’t hold your hand! What are you saying?! Hold your hand- aaah!” Heeyoung cried internally, her skin burning under her self-consciousness and her consciousness of Jay, who was trying to teach her how to roller skate.

Taking his hand reluctantly anyway, since she really wouldn’t be able to stand in the shoes with wheels without it, she gripped it tightly, losing herself in the warmth and calm his hand exuded. His hand was big and strong and all sorts of desirable. She never wanted to let it go. Standing with the confidence of his hand in hers, he slowly guided her onto the wooden floor of the rink, keeping as tight of a hold on her hand as she kept on his.

“You’re doing great. Just let it glide, and don’t try to force it,” Jay encouraged with a serene smile. He was enjoying this moment with Heeyoung. He gets to see another side of her while also helping her learn something that her muscles will never forget, even if her brain does. He feels like he is becoming a liquid she seems fond of in her world when before he was just a patch of clear air that she seemed to like. Jay was gradually becoming a solid figure in her life.

“Am I doing it right?” Heeyoung wondered after Jay had been silent for a lap.

“Oh, yeah. I think you have the hang of it. Try going a little faster,” Jay came back from his reverie.

“How do I do that?”

“Watch me.”

Jerking his toes against the floors, the pressure increased the power behind his and pushed him forward, and he repeated the action, dragging one foot and pushing the other forth.

“Got the hang of it? Want to try?” he eased her into it. Nodding, she attempted to push forward. Stumbling and almost falling, she was saved by Jay, and they cruised around again as they laughed about it and took a breath. “That wasn’t bad, don’t worry. Here, try rushing one foot further ahead than the other as you push off with the other. And don’t lean forward.”

Making a second attempt at pushing off, Heeyoung was successful, grinning ecstatically at Jay as she pushed forward more, picking up speed. Matching her speed, Jay congratulated her, squeezing her hand unconsciously in pride. Squeezing back, she refused to look into his eyes as they continued gliding across the flooring for another dozen laps.

“So you really never learned how to roller skate?” Jay inquired after a few silent laps.

“No. I know how to ice skate, but even that is something I haven’t done in a few years.”

“And ice skating isn’t all that similar to roller skating. It is just like roller-blading, though. After a few more laps, do you want to try on a pair of blades?”

“They make blades for wood?” Heeyoung questioned, confused.

“No, no. They just have one line of wheels down the center of the shoe, like ice skates, rather than having four separate wheels, like roller skates,” Jay laughed.

“Oh!” Heeyoung exclaimed in understanding. “That makes more sense. And it’s just like ice skating?”

“It is a little different, but only a little,” he smiled reassuringly.

“After a few more laps, I’d be glad to.”

Smiling at each other giddily, their smile fest was interrupted by Daniel’s call.

“Guys! Come over and take a break!” she called them over to the side where they served food and drinks. “What do you want to eat?” she asked as they carefully rolled over.

“Fries,” Heeyoung hummed peacefully.

“You two’ll share?” Daniel stated questioningly before Jay could speak. Looking between themselves, Jay shrugged, and they agreed to share one. Daniel, smirking slyly, turned to order their food, her and her friend getting their own individual dishes.

Seating at a table nearby, they all took the load off their feet and began munching with relief at the sensation of near-weightless feet, even if their skates were still on.

“Heeyoung, how are the lessons going?” Daniel inquired.

“She’s doing amazing. She got the gist of it quickly,” Jay responded, gazing into his drink with pride swelling in his irises.

“He’s a great teacher,” Heeyoung mumbled modestly.

Daniel met eyes with the friend she brought along, Alex, and they rolled their eyes together at their behavior. Daniel knew Alex would be able to see that they like each other right off the bat, she just needed to confirm how obvious it was; that’s why she brought him along, aside from keeping her company.

“Are you guys going to try roller blading, too?”

“Jay said it’s just like ice skating,” Heeyoung said, hoping to maintain the statement.

“It is,” Alex spoke up in confirmation. “It’s just as easy. The blades just tend to not have brakes. You have to slow to a stop, you know?”

“That’s okay, I guess. Why would I need to stop suddenly, anyway?” Heeyoung shrugged, oblivious.

Finishing their food and chatting for a bit longer, they soon got out on the floor again, where Heeyoung and Jay had switched to blades and were holding hands again to make sure Heeyoung stayed upright. Feeling that Heeyoung didn’t need him to help her any longer, he decided that, despite how much he adores holding her hand; she should spread her wings a little and tread on her own.

“I’m going to let go of your hand, now, alright? I want you to do it on your own,” he whispered beside her ear, his voice becoming the only thing she can hear in the entire bustling arena.

Nodding, flushed, she let his fingers slide out from between his. Continuing to push off on her own, she smiled, one that matched the bright grin that Jay had plastered across his face. Jay turned around and started skating backwards, navigating carefully as he watched Heeyoung go faster to try and catch up with him. It soon became a game of cat and mouth where they started to go high speed and weave between people. They were in their own little world again, though, and nothing could stop their fun.

And then Heeyoung skid a wheel against the wood, tripping herself up. She was going too fast, though, and the brakes weren’t working- just like Alex had warned her. She couldn’t stop, and there was no room to slow down. She knew it was inevitable. Falling helplessly into Jay, he caught her, holding her to his chest with his arms around her waist. Grasping desperately onto the sides of his shirt, she looked up at him.

His brow glistened with sweat, the dim lighting making his tan skin look even darker. His eyes reflected her, though, and she couldn’t be any happier.

Jay had been slowing them down so Heeyoung could get back on her feet, but he lost all cerebral function when Heeyoung smiled at him delightfully. Tripping, he fell backwards.

Landing roughly onto his back, the wind was almost entirely knocked out of him from the fall. He had kept his head from hitting the ground, though, so he was still able enough to keep his priorities straight; checking on Heeyoung, he made sure she was okay. She had landed atop his chest, and he was rather solid, so she only suffered from a burning fever of embarrassment. Rising cautiously, they rolled slowly over to one of the benches off to the side of the rink and sat down.

“You’re sure you aren’t hurt anywhere?” Heeyoung asked worriedly.

“I might have some bruises tomorrow, but I’m okay, really,” he smiled down at her, brushing her hair behind her ear. “Are you sure you are?”

“I am. I didn’t fall as hard as you did.”

“It’s okay,” he drawled, taking her hands in his. “I’m made of steel- muscles of steel.”

She rolled her eyes. She couldn’t return any sort of denial, though. She was pressed against his abdomen- she knows his abs are no joke. About to ask if Jay was okay again, Heeyoung was cut off by Daniel and Alex’s sudden appearance before them.

“Are you guys okay? You fell pretty hard there,” Alex voiced, concern weaved into the verbalization.

“We’re all good,” Jay chuckled with finality, looking to Heeyoung and realizing they were holding hands again. It felt so natural, he hadn’t even noticed. He squeezed her hand happily as a reminder to them both of that fact.

Upon feeling the squeeze, Heeyoung’s heart felt a clutch around it, and she looked to their interlocked fingers with a shy smile. This silent conversation didn’t just blow over Daniel and Alex’s heads, though- oh, no, they caught all of it. Grinning at each other, they felt success rolling around in their guts.

“Check, check,” a voice came over the speakers, capturing everyone’s attention. “Hello ladies and gentlemen. It is the last song of the night. I see lots of you are single tonight, so I think it’s time to mingle with this little jingle. Aight.”

He chuckled into the microphone before putting on a track; the bass started and brought the floor alive. The beat racked more people onto the floor. People were suddenly dancing and the music consumed any conversation.

“Do you want to go for one more round?” Jay asked Heeyoung, feeling the beat of the music compete with the beat of his heart.

Heeyoung’s attention was directed towards the manner in which the people interacted so fluidly. It was so comfortable, so casual, yet so intimate. At the thought of having that with Jay, Heeyoung’s heart urged her forth onto the floor. She nodded fervently.

Keeping their hands intertwined, they rose and traveled onto the floor, easily becoming part of the flow.

They kept a moderate pace, one that matched the rest of the skaters. Jay rolled backwards while holding Heeyoung’s hands between them as she rolled forwards facing him. It was only them again, and Heeyoung couldn’t figure out how that kept happening. It only ever seemed to be Jay and her in their own little sphere of control. It seemed strange how easily she had become comfortable with him, too. They had clicked so immediately…

“Heeyoung,” Jay whispered her name, the sound piercing through the clamor of the crowd into her ears.

It didn’t make sense how he was all she could hear in such a roaring crowd. Glaring up into his eyes, she saw a deep-set sparkle in his eyes. His skin was so bright, it was glowing. Was that sparkle always there- that glow always present? Or was it reserved just for Heeyoung?

Pulling her forward gently, Jay grasped her other hand, letting their connected limbs rest at their sides as he gazed into her eyes dreamily. It all felt so surreal. Where did reality come into play when they were together?

Noting the way the sparkle became more radiant at the touch of their fingers, a revelation hit Heeyoung, and eluded her just as swiftly. Jay was so perfect.

Nothing made sense anymore.

 

 

 

“I can’t’ believe you agreed to this,” Daniel sighed as she stood beside Heeyoung in line. “You hate haunted houses! You’re terrified of anything even remotely scary! What were you thinking?”

“I don’t think I was thinking,” Heeyoung grumbled stuffily, crossing her arms across her chest. “I don’t know anything when Jay is involved. I don’t know why we get along so well. Why I lose myself at his smile. I don’t know…”

Getting their tickets into the theme park, they stepped aside so Daniel could give Heeyoung a comforting hug.

“It’ll make sense someday. And you guys get along well because you guys are compatible. Don’t read into it too much.” Daniel shushed Heeyoung.

“But what about his smile? I melt at the thought of it,” Heeyoung whimpered.

“He just has a great smile. Don’t worry about it.”

Whining into Daniel’s shoulder, Heeyoung huffed before collecting herself. Letting go of each other, they continued their adventure into the park. It was a haunted theme park: it had a haunted house, a haunted corn maze, a haunted street, and a haunted river, even. Going near the attractions was just as terrifying as being in one, since there were creepers crawling around to scare you while you are on your way to one of the attractions. It was exhilarating, but still petrifying.

A particular ghoul had spotted Heeyoung’s tremulous being and began targeting her, its red-greased smile spreading maliciously across its face as it dragged its ragged body towards her.

“I can’t do this,” Heeyoung tried to turn around at the sight of the ghoul targeting her.

“Hey!” Daniel grabbed Heeyoung’s shoulders and swiveled her on her heels. “They can’t touch you. They’re just actors.”

Heeyoung shook her head as Daniel pushed her forward and closer to the ghoul. It smelled of rotten meat and access product, courtesy of the makeup. It made Daniel scoff and chortle, but Heeyoung could only focus on the stench of spoiled flesh. She couldn’t help the tremors that ran through her bones. She was just so easily frightened.

It wasn’t until they spotted Jay and Alex that Heeyoung’s wobbly legs stiffened and drove her forward confidently. She quickly walked up to Jay and smiled cutely in greeting. Chuckling at the gesture, Jay greeted her verbally, to which she replied energetically.

“It’s like she isn’t in a haunted theme park anymore,” Daniel muttered secretively to Alex.

“They really do live in their own world, don’t they,” he muttered in agreement.

Spotting a demonic figure approaching Heeyoung and Jay, Daniel smirked, elbowing Alex so he could watch the scene unfold. Creeping up slowly, the demon rattled its chains gently at first, resulting in a slight jump from Heeyoung. The two still hadn’t noticed the figure, though. Rattling the clanging metal louder and louder as it grew nearer and nearer, it growled softly, until it cried out right beside the couple. Heeyoung screamed, running behind Jay and clutching frantically onto the back of his shirt, burying her face into the muscle of his back. The demon cackled victoriously, relishing in Heeyoung’s scream. Circling Jay, who stood in stunned silence, the demon gave cause for Heeyoung to run around Jay several times before it walked off to bother its next victim.

“What the hell!” Heeyoung grumbled after the incident, exasperated. “That was horrifying!” She buried her face back into Jay’s chest, taking a deep breath and, in turn, taking a big whiff of Jay’s wondrous scent. He smelled of freshly cut lawns and watermelon. She was returned to reality at the rumbling beneath her finger tips within Jay’s rib cage. He was laughing.

“You’re okay, now. They were just teasing you,” Jay soothed, gently prying Heeyoung’s fingers from the fabric of his shirt. “What do you want to do first? I hear the maze if the bomb.”

“I say the hay ride first,” Daniel stated before looking up at Alex.

“Let’s do them in order,” Alex suggested. They all looked at him strangely. “First, you walk down the haunted street to get the story’s background, then you go to the house, then the hay ride, corn maze, forest, and then the river finishes it off.

“They really went all out, huh, Heeyoung?” Jay commented.

“Yeah, too much,” she squeaked, eliciting laughter from her friends.

Starting onwards, they walked slowly, taking in the décor and effort that was put into making the park. Heeyoung couldn’t stop her body from shivering in the cold that stuck solely to her, raising goose bumps along the surface of her skin.. Seeing this, Jay used it as an excuse to envelope her hand in his. He was glad to see she calmed at his touch.

The majority of the hauntings had Heeyoung clinging haplessly to Jay’s back while Jay experienced a healthy amount of fright while also laughing at how cute Heeyoung was. He couldn’t help it- she was so adorable in her oversized shirt and denim shorts cowering behind him. She was so perfect. She was like the eye of the storm- bright, shining, oblivious, blissful. When he was with her, there was no storm raging in his heart, in his mind, or outside of them. It was just the two of them.

By the time they had gone through all of the rides and started heading for the parking lot, Heeyoung was beat. She leaned against Jay’s side, his arm around her shoulders, as they walked the expanse of the parking lot to the cars. Alex said he was taking Daniel home in her car, so Jay would have to take Heeyoung home in his own car. He was glad to- ecstatic, but he could see a suspicious glint in Alex and Daniel’s eyes. He figured the two had been setting him and Heeyoung up for a while now, but this was just too obvious.

Shaking his head at their antics, Jay helped Heeyoung to the passenger seat of his car. Settling her in the seat and putting the seat belt on her, his face grew close to hers, and the urge to kiss her parted pink lips surfaced. Swallowing and pulling himself away, he closed the door quietly before slipping behind the steering wheel and spinning out of the lot.

Arriving at Heeyoung’s house, Jay put the car in park before turning to Heeyoung. She was so peaceful deeply in sleep. She looked so beautiful. Jay leaned over to unbuckle her seat belt, and he carefully placed it back on the other side of her. As he was about to return to his seat and exit the car, Heeyoung’s eyes opened and their lines of sight collided.

“Good morning,” Jay stammered, panicking.

“Hi,” Heeyoung squeaked meekly. She couldn’t believe she had woken up to this.

“Did you sleep well?” Jay inquired as he slowly pulled away.

“Mhm,” she nodded, cheeks flushed.

Flashing her an awkward smile, he pulled the rest of the way back and sat fidgeting in the driver’s seat waiting for her to say something. Glancing back at her, he sighed.

“Come here,” he demanded quietly.

The both of them leaning in to the middle of the car, Jay smoothed Heeyoung’s hair down, tucking stray strands behind her ear before pulling back and admiring his work.

“Perfect,” he stated looking directly into her eyes.

“Goodnight,” Heeyoung piped up, immediately swiveling in her seat and popping out of the car. She slammed the door shut and was about to sprint into her house, but she reconsidered. Reopening the door, she said a quick, “Thank you for the ride,” before scampering into her house.

Jay sat for a minute, astonished.

“What just happened? Why did she leave so abruptly? Did I say something?” he gasped, horrified. “Did I say something?! What did I just say? Did I- oh no- I just-“ Jay fussed in the car, mussing his hair. With a groan, he switched the gears and pulled out of the drive way and parked raggedly into his family’s drive way. Once parked, he stepped out, locked up, kicked the grass on his way inside the house, skulking into his room.

“I can’t believe I just called her perfect to her face. What the hell is wrong with me. I need help. Mom- get me a therapist. Your son is crazy. I’m sorry,” he whimpered into the night air, his back against his bed sheets. He couldn’t believe he had done that. What is wrong with him?

“How do I face her now…?”

Beating up his pillow, he soon fell asleep.

 

 

 

Thomas and Sam decided they wanted to go bowling; they wanted it to be similar to a group date, so they could bring along girls that they were hitting on. They told Jay he had to bring Heeyoung, since they didn’t have a girl for him, and since they know he has the hugest crush on Heeyoung.

“They must be conspiring with Daniel and Alex,” Jay thought as he got ready to go ask Heeyoung about this weekend. It was embarrassing; he hasn’t talked to her for the week since he called her perfect. It was much too awkward. Jay couldn’t do it. But, here he is, strolling over to Heeyoung with his hands stuffed into his jean pockets shyly. Pausing on the top step before her front door, he took a deep breath. Knocking, he waited impatiently, rocking back and forth on his heels, unsure of whether he wanted her to be home or not. The door opened and Heeyoung appeared in the entrance.

“Jay,” she mumbled, surprise vaguely showing on her face.

“Heeyoung,” he responded, smiling meekly. “Can I come in?”

Widening the amount of entry space, she welcomed him in. Leading him into the kitchen, she sat him down at the island table and asked if he wanted anything to drink.

“A water, please,” he stuttered. His mouth went dry and he was struggling to speak. He couldn’t do this. It had been so long since they last talked. This was too much after so long.

“So,” Heeyoung started after getting Jay that water. “What’s up?”

“I,” he started, chuckling at the casual greeting. “My friends and I are going bowling. Do you want to come? We need one more person.”

“Bowling? When?” Heeyoung wondered, slinking over to sit opposing Jay at the table. She felt uncomfortable, hence the slinking. They would always talk during the week in between going out on the weekends. But they hadn’t talked since the weekend before. It was Thursday morning. It hasn’t been a long time, but it sure felt like it.

“This weekend. Tomorrow.”

“I should be free,” Heeyoung muttered, going over to the calendar on the wall of the kitchen. “I’m free.”

“So I’ll pick you up Friday night?”

Heeyoung nodded sheepishly. Nodding in return, Jay downed the rest of the water before thanking Heeyoung and leaving.

 

“You are so uncool,” Thomas laughed at Jay’s description of how he asked Heeyoung to go bowling with them. “Lame-o.”

“Jerk,” Jay grumbled in response, twitching nervously at the thought of spending a good portion of Friday night with Heeyoung.

They were sitting on the stairs of the walkway again, looking over the city. It was an excellent view, one that hadn’t changed too much since Jay left, but he couldn’t enjoy the view- he couldn’t calm down. Rising spontaneously, Jay suggested they go play basketball. He needed to do something- anything to keep his mind off of what could happen the following night.

It was going to be awkward as hell. They weren’t going to talk, and when he would try, it would head directly into a dead end, and then he wouldn’t be able to talk again for the rest of the night.

Jay jumped and shot the ball into the hoop, beads of stress falling from his face. It went in with a swoosh.

He still couldn’t believe he did that. Who tells someone they are perfect to their face? He doesn’t believe they were that close. After that, he doesn’t think they’ll ever be that close.

Grunting in frustration, he stole the ball from Thomas and executed a slam dunk. Coming down from the high of the moment without any excitement, Jay shook the sweat from his hair. Watching as the ball bounced closer and closer to the ground as it grew further from him, he thought of Heeyoung. Plopping onto his backside on the court, he grabbed his face with his hands.

“Ugh.”

 

“I underestimated how awkward this would be,” Sam muttered under his breath to Thomas.

“It’s contagious, too,” Thomas replied, checking on the girl he was with. She was fidgeting again.

“We have to do something.”

“Gotta get the mood going.”

“But how?” they said simultaneously.

Tapping their chins while having a staring contest, Thomas and Sam’s ears were wide open when a slow beat slithered out of the speakers in the bowling alley into their ears. It wasn’t long before they recognized it as Jay’s self-proclaimed jam. Grinning at each other mischievously, they brought their opposing hands together in a tight hold before executing the new plan.

“I love this song,” Jay chuckled inwardly. “My jam. I can’t believe they still play it.”

“Yo, Jay,” Thomas leaned over to him. “Remember this song- your jam?”

Jay nodded of course.

“Remember the dance that went with it?”

Jay grinned widely. He remembered alright. But was this really the time and place? Leaning back, he grew bashful, waving off Thomas. Glancing over at Heeyoung, he caught her curious gaze, enticing her into voicing her question.

“What did he say?” she asked, tilting her head to the side cutely.

Jay was about to speak, but was cut off by Thomas. “Back when we were teenagers, they played this song all the time. It was Jay’s jam. So we learned the dance.”

“There’s a dance?” Heeyoung perked up, along with the other girls. They wanted to see it- it was obvious by the excitement in their eyes, even if they didn’t say anything.

Thomas turned to Jay slyly. “The ladies want.”

Looking between everyone’s gaze, Jay shook his head shyly.

“It’s been too long. I don’t even remember the steps,” he rubbed the back of his head.

“I believe in muscle memory,” Sam leans towards him, punching his shoulder playfully.

“But,” Jay tried weakly, smiling.

“Come on,” Thomas pulled Jay up from his seat. “Before the song’s over.”

Stepping onto the bowling platform, Jay went center stage with Thomas on his left, and Sam on his right. Closing his eyes, Jay fell into the music and let it carry him away. His body started moving on its own. Dancing just like he had ten or so years ago, he smiled happily, laughing as his friends followed the steps as well. Of course, since it had taken so long for them to get Jay to dance, it wasn’t long before it ended and the boys sat down. Patting his hair down in embarrassment, Jay flashed Heeyoung a smile as he sat across from her. She gave him a comfortable smile and a thumbs-up.

“I bet that broke the ice,” Thomas gave a small thumbs-up and a wink as he conspired with Sam quietly at the end of the dance while it was Sarah, Thomas’ girl’s turn to bowl.

“Let’s hope,” Sam crossed his fingers.

“What were you two talking about?” Sam’s girl, Lucy, hooked her arms around Sam’s, cuddling into his side.

“We’re trying to help Jay break the ice between him and Heeyoung,” Sam whispered, turning to her and running his fingers through her hair. “He said something last week and now he’s a mess.”

“What’d he say?” she turned her big brown eyes up at him.

“He called her perfect to her face,” he scoffed.

“Why is he a mess, then?” she tilted her head, confused.

“He thinks he totally screwed up. He’s so dumb sometimes.”

Smoothing her hair down, they pecked each other on the lips before giggling.

“Hey, love birds,” Thomas called flatly. “We’re bowling over here.”

Sticking her tongue out at him, Lucy rose to take her turn.

While those four distracted themselves with bowling, Jay was somehow getting through a conversation with Heeyoung.

“You dance?” she asked, glad to have found something that could break the ice. She never did like that game as a child- she wanted the ice broken immediately, but she didn’t want to lose the game.

“Yeah,” Jay shifted in his seat.

“How long have you been dancing?” her eyes zeroed in on Jay’s.

“A long time. Since I was young,” Jay averted his eyes from Heeyoung’s intense irises.

“Do you still dance a lot?”

He shrugged.

Pouting at the lack of cooperation, she hit his arm lightly. Surprised at the abrupt and violent action, Jay stared at her with wide eyes.

“What the heck?” he drawled, holding his arm even though it didn’t actually hurt, but the shock of it did.

“Be comfortable around me! You were before, weren’t you?” she yelled at him in a hushed manner, trying not to attract any attention.

“Heeyoung, it’s your turn,” Sarah called to her softly, drawing her attention away.

She smiled in affirmation before turning a sharp glare on Jay. Standing, she gave him the “I’ve got my eyes on you” gesture as she proceeded to grab a ball and step onto the platform. Once she turned away, Thomas crowded him.

“What was that for?” he asked in wonder.

“She wants me to be comfortable around her?” Jay sighed, deeply confused, resting his chin on his palm.

Thomas exchanged looks with Sarah.

“Then… be comfortable with her.”

“How?”

“You were comfortable once- do it again,” Thomas shrieked quietly, throwing his hands up before scampering over to his seat.

Huffing at Thomas’ lack of help, he took a second to look at Heeyoung. He hasn’t looked at her since that night. She looked beautiful tonight- she always looks beautiful, but he could tell that she made a successful attempt to become even more beautiful tonight. Subtle black eyeliner swept from her bottom lid up past the corner of her eyes, giving them the illusion of a more upward direction. Fading peachy lip gloss gave her lips a brilliant luster. She was wearing a pink sleeveless shirt that flowed against her torso and white skinny jeans that hugged her moderately muscular legs. She had parted her hair to the other side and had amped up the volume, too. She glowed with confidence.

Snapping back into reality when he realized Heeyoung was coming back over, he smiled, nervous frayed. When he failed to rise after her, she giggled behind her hand before reminding him it was his turn. Blushing and nodding, he rose, grabbing a ball and getting in position.

As he started the wind up, he thought, “I’m back where I’m started, aren’t I?”

After hitting most of the pins in two tries, he sat back down, his casual stance ruling over his actions.

“So, are you comfortable yet?” Heeyoung sidled beside him, taking the empty seat beside him.

He laughed.

“I think so.”

“Good! It was boring not talking to you for almost a week,” Heeyoung expressed.

“Yeah it was,” he grinned stupidly.

Heeyoung settled back against the chair with her arms crossed in front of her chest. She looked Jay up and down.

“Wanna go to the arcade after this?” she smirked impishly.

This was something new- Heeyoung going rogue with that furtive glint in her eyes and that cute turn of the corner of her lips.

“Definitely.”

Chuckling at each other, they finished the game gleefully, anticipation around like butterflies in their chests. Between the two teams, the girl’s team won, earning them drinks courtesy of the boys. Settling themselves at a table large enough for all of them to fit at it, they picked up a quiet chatter. Sipping on her drink, Heeyoung glanced up at the clock on the wall. She wanted to spend a lot of time with Jay today to make up for lost time. It looked like a good time to start.

up the rest of her drink, Heeyoung exhaled and made eye contact with Jay. Jerking her head in the direction of the arcade, he smiled at the gesture, nodding in agreement before finishing his drink as well.

“Guys, we’re gonna go to the arcade,” he announced to the group, standing up and grabbing Heeyoung’s empty cup as well as his own.

“Bye,” they called, waving and chuckling darkly.

“Have a good time,” Sam called softly.

“Twenty bucks says they kiss,” Thomas smirked at Sam, receiving a punch to the shoulder for his remark.

“So, what do you want to play first?” Jay started, walking beside Heeyoung with his hands behind his back.

“This one,” she picked up a gun from the dash of one of the multiplayer games. Pointing it at him, she said “I bet I can beat you.”

“We’ll see about that.”

Picking up the gun, they played vigorously, the game not lasting long enough for them to deem a win or lose; so they picked another one, and then another, and another until hours had gone by together and their night was coming to a close. They were on their last few tokens and there was only one game they hadn’t tried yet.

“Have you ever tried this one before?” Jay asked as he eased into the laid back chair beside Heeyoung.

She shook her head, her wide eyes swimming with the thrill of trying something new.

“You sit back in these and they bring you along the ‘track’ of a roller coaster of sorts. And you feel all the tremors and the jolts, and it’s almost real,” Jay explained animatedly, his eyes observing the twinkle in Heeyoung’s chocolate irises as his voice grew soft. His gaze flickered to her pink lips, the gloss still barely shining there. He wanted to kiss her so bad. “Which setting do you want to choose?”

Refocusing on the screen, Heeyoung put her finger to her bottom lip as she turned over the settings in her mind. Pointing to the scariest and ricketiest- the coal mine- she cheered, “That one.”

He chuckled at her. Tossing in the tokens and picking that setting, they held on tight as the game started up. Heeyoung had truly picked the ricketiest setting, the seats jolting from side to side and the landings barely holding up. It was a riot between the two, and when it finally ended and they could breathe again, Jay turned to her, and Heeyoung turned to Jay. Their eyes connecting, Jay released an easy smile, the backlight of the game making his teeth glitter. Heeyoung could feel her face heating up. He was so handsome, even in such bad lighting. His skin was tan and flawless, his hair was short and soft, his body was muscular and yet he seemed like a teddy bear. Being with Jay made Heeyoung so happy. She was starting to close in on thirty, yet with Jay, she felt like a teenager again- and not just because they played around in an arcade for hours. She felt free.

“Jay,” she muttered almost inaudibly, turning on her side to face him full on. “How do you feel when we hang out?”

Shifting onto his side as well, he raised a questioning eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, do you feel happy, angry, anxious?”

“Oh,” he sighed, nodding his head. “Well. I feel…”

He wasn’t sure how to answer. He felt happy, ecstatic, like he could pick up the world and throw it like a javelin at the Olympics and win first place. …But he also feels anxious, as if Heeyoung would suddenly grow bored of him, or that he would say something and Heeyoung would hate him for it. Jay doesn’t know how he feels. Or maybe he does.

“I feel a lot of things. I’m happy, and worried. But I think it’s because I love spending time with you so much. I…” he averted his eyes and exhaled. He wasn’t sure he could do this. “I… like you. A lot. And I don’t want you to get bored with me, or hate me.” He scoffed, running his hands through his hair. “Oh, I’ve become so lame since I met you. I was so cool, and then I saw you. You and your pretty face and bright personality.” He swung his legs off the side of the chair and faced Heeyoung seriously before facially faltering. “Am I lame?”

She couldn’t believe this. The Jaebeom Park had become a mess and all because of her? They’d only known each other a little over a month! It was too good to be true. She started laughing, laughing so hard she almost started crying.

“You’re laughing. Why are you laughing? Am I really that lame?” Jay grumbled, pouting.

“No, no,” she started calming down. Getting out the last few giggles and taking a deep breath, she continued. “You’re not lame. You’re just silly.” She giggled again.

“So I’m not lame?”

“No, silly!” she sat up and faced him as well.

He laughed airily with relief. “That’s good. That’s good. ‘Cause, if you thought I was lame, there’s no way you’d ever date me.”

Jay froze, eyes wide, mouth in the shape of a shocked ‘o.’ Heeyoung just kind of sat there, bones stilled, eye brows raised.

“What just happened?” they thought in unison completely flabbergasted.

“Did you just,” Heeyoung started, eye brows furrowing.

“I can’t believe I just,” Jay said at the same time.

“Again?” they voiced concurrently.

“I can’t believe I keep slipping up like that. You’re a liar- a huge liar. I am the lamest person on Earth right now,” Jay stated, covering his face with his hands.

“I didn’t lie,” Heeyoung laughed, the situation settling in. “Even if you were lame, I’d probably still date you.”

Jay’s head shot up.

“Do you want to go out with me?” he blurted out unexpectedly.

“Yes, please,” Heeyoung squeaked.

“So we’re going out now?” Jay confirmed baffled.

“I hope so. I just said yes.”

The grin that broke across Jay’s face almost blinded Heeyoung, but it made her so unbelievably happy to know how happy she could make him. He jumped up, pulling her up with him and hugging her to his chest, squeezing her almost half to death.

“Thank you! Thank you, thank you!” Jay chanted, swinging from side to side. Calming down, he kissed the top of her head, closing his eyes and whispering, “Thank you.”

“Thank you for asking me,” Heeyoung curled her fingers in the fabric of Jay’s shirt, inhaling the scent of watermelon and freshly cut grass.

Pulling back, Jay bounced lightly on his toes.

“Is it okay if I kiss you right now?”

“What?”

“Would you rather I was spontaneous?”

“I don’t know.” This was too much for Heeyoung. She wasn’t even sure if she knew what was happening anymore. He just asked her out, and she said yes- that’s where she’s stuck at. “Maybe. What’s happening.”

“Ah, I’m sorry. Am I overwhelming you?” Jay cooled down a little.

“Uhm. Maybe. A little. It’s been a while since I’ve dated anyone,” Heeyoung wrapped her arms around Jay again, trying to keep grounded. “And you’re ten times better than any of the guys I have dated.”

“Good,” Jay expressed cockily. “Ah, I meant. Good. I want to be. I hope I am.”

She glared up at him playfully. “You are such a dork.” She patted his chest. “A muscular dork.”

“And now I’m your dork?” he grinned widely.

She rolled her eyes. “Just kiss me.”

Laughing, he put a hand against her cheek, and lifted her face. Leaning forward and tilting his head to the left, he closed his eyes as his plump lips closed in on hers. When they finally touched, sparks flew. It was just like when Jay first saw Heeyoung. Magic.

Separating, Jay couldn’t help the shaky wow that left his lips.

After that moment, Jay had taken Heeyoung home where they shared another small peck before she went inside to immediately call Daniel and scream into her pillow about the day. It didn’t feel real. But it was, and that was all Heeyoung could think about.

Jay, on the other hand, couldn’t sleep for the whole night, his thoughts consumed with the fact that Heeyoung had said yes. He wanted to shout to the heavens and run the Boston Marathon. He couldn’t believe he was feeling like this at this point in his life. He was twenty-seven years old, but he felt like he was a love-struck seventeen year-old. He was almost thirty. But none of that mattered- Heeyoung said yes!

Then, the next weekend soon came upon them after a few lunches together and with the families. It was blissful and the families didn’t know, yet. They didn’t want them to get too excited. They wanted to just drift around peacefully for a while. The next weekend came and they were going to the amusement park together as their first official date. It was going to be just the two of them being cute and having fun.

“I have to look pretty, while also being functional…” Heeyoung paced back and forth in front of her closet. “Daniel, what do I wear?”

Swerving over to her bed, Heeyoung sat on the edge next to Daniel, haplessly waiting for advice.

“Wear something comfortable,” she shrugged.

“Yeah. Uhm,” Heeyoung rose and started shuffling through her closet. “We’re gonna go on rides.”

“No skirts or dresses,” Daniel stated.

“Okay. Shorts or jeans?”

“It’s going to be really hot, isn’t it?”

“Well yeah, it’s summer.”

“Hotter than usual, I mean. Like, almost ungodly hot.”

“Shorts,” Heeyoung decided. Retreating back into her closet, she came back out with a pile of shorts and tossed them on her floor. “These are all my shorts.”

“You want to go through them and decide what you could and shouldn’t wear?” Daniel inquired.

“Please?”

Rolling her eyes, Daniel started ruffling through the shorts with Heeyoung, throwing the undesirables back into the closet and the best choices onto the bed. Once they were down to five pairs, they went back into Heeyoung’s closet, rifling through her shirts to see what would be a good match for any of the shorts. Assembling a selection across Heeyoung’s bed, she scrutinized each one harshly before she spotted the perfect outfit.

It was a sleeveless, sky blue shirt with a collar. It buttoned down with small white buttons and was long enough that, when tucked into her shorts, it would capture her curves, but also hide them. It was also airy enough that she would be able to breathe. It was compatible with a pair of dark blue shorts that were long enough to not be booty shorts, but short enough to not be at an awkward length between her mid-thigh and her . It was the best choice, since she didn’t want to wear peach again, even if she did look good in it.

Trying it on, Heeyoung looked in the mirror and strutted across her room for Daniel to observe.

“It looks great! Gurl, this is a sign! It should be a wonderful date!” Daniel cheered.

Jumping excitedly together, they quickly snapped back into focus.

“What shoes am I going to wear?”

 

“Do I wear sleeves or no sleeves? Jeans? Shorts? Sandals? Sneakers? A hat? Sunglasses?” Jay muttered to himself while lying in a heap of clothes that he had tossed all over his floor. “What do I wear?”

“I was once a ladies’ man,” Thomas walked into Jay’s room singing. “Free from everything. Now, I lay in a heap of my own despair. Tied down am I, tied down am I.”

“Shut up,” Jay threw his socks at him. “Help me figure out what I need to wear.”

“Nothing.”

Jay threw dirty socks at his face.

“Fine, fine. Do you stink?” Thomas tried again, seemingly serious, but it’s questionable.

“Not unless I’ve been working out for hours, no,” Jay answered, not necessarily sure if that was too relevant.

“Go sleeveless then. It’s gonna be like a hundred out, though.”

“Okay, so sleeveless. But shorts? Jeans? Slacks?”

“Shorts. No one wears pants when Satan is making Earth into his personal sauna.”

“Okay, that shortens the list,” Jay muttered, sitting up and rummaging through his clothes again with at least some bit of an idea. Finding a pair of light colored shorts and a white shirt, he held it up asking for Thomas’ appraisal.

“What are you trying to do? Bring attention to how dark you are?” he scolded in rejection.

Finding a pair of black shorts and a black shirt, he asked again.

“Do you want to die?”

A pair of navy shorts and a navy shirt.

“Try again.”

The same pair of navy shorts with a white T-shirt.

“Not bad. I’ll keep it on hold,” Thomas smiled, taking the set from Jay and laying it out on the bed. “Keep going.”

And on like that it went for almost an hour before Jay finally got five outfits laid out.

“This one,” Thomas picked one up, holding it against Jay and nodding in approval. “This one.”

“You sure?”

“Absolutely.”

 

 

Exhaling nervously and pacing anxiously, Jay wiped the miniscule beads of sweat trying to collect on his forehead off. He was waiting for Heeyoung to arrive at the park, and even though he was five minutes early, it looked like Heeyoung was going to be five minutes late. Exhaling quietly, Jay resisted the heat of the morning sun bearing down on him.

At the sighting of a glamorous black convertible, Jay perked up, checking himself to make sure he looked and smelled okay. Pulling up, the door popped open, and a fabulous revelation of Heeyoung was executed as she climbed out of the car and strutted up to him in her blue shirt, dark shorts, and wedges. She had found the perfect pair of shoes. They were comfortable, they clasped around her ankles and would hold on rides, and they matched her outfit.

“You looked gorgeous,” Jay complimented her upon her arrival.

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” she grinned happily, satisfied with Jay’s response.

Jay was wearing the navy blue shorts, a pair of clean black sneakers, and a white muscle shirt with little black graphics patterned across it.

Kissing lightly, they proceeded to buying their tickets and entering the park. Once in, they immediately went to the first roller coaster they saw, hopping in line and formulating their strategy for conquering all of the rides. Enjoying one ride and then traveling to the next, they were in line and then they were on rides and then on to the next one. One ride in particular they even went on twice in a row.

It wasn’t long before the growling of their stomachs could be heard. Laughing in embarrassment, Jay took her over to one of the restaurants in the park. Taking a seat and eating serenely, the two talked softly and animatedly, telling each other more of their pasts and sharing what they want for the future.

Once they finished, they continued on in their adventure around the park. By sunset, they had gotten through all of the rides and were taking their time strolling across the park back to the main entrance to exit the park. The lights of the rides had flickered on and the rides were still bustling with people. Heeyoung could already tell in the scattered lighting that Jay’s tan had deepened under the blazing sun. It also reminded her that her skin must have darkened as well. Glancing down at her arm, she tried to distinguish if there was any change.

“You did get a bit of a tan,” Jay answered out of the blue, running his fingers through his hair.

“You did, too,” Heeyoung pointed out as well.

“I always tan during the summer,” Jay sighed. “It’s both a blessing and a curse.”

Heeyoung giggled, smiling up at Jay’s face. They had spent a whole day together getting to know each other, but there was still a lot she didn’t know. She was looking forward to learning more. Looking down between the two of them, she saw the small distance between their swinging hands. It’s been two weeks since they started dating. She assumed that it should be okay if they start holding hands. Swinging her hand the tiniest bit closer to his, she bumped her pinky against the back of his hand. Sensing the occurrence, Jay glanced down and noticed Heeyoung’s pink cheeks. Swirling his hand around to hers, he gripped it firmly, lacing his fingers with hers.

“So you had a good time?” Jay inquired, throwing their intertwined hands back and forth.

“I still am.”

Jay’s grin widened. “Am I driving you home?”

“Yes, please.”

“Then, do you want to get dinner on the way?”

“At this time of night?”

“All the restaurants nearby will be open until late because of the park. Why not?”

Heeyoung glared up into his eyes searching for trouble.

“Let’s go.”

 

Enjoying each other’s company all the way home, they shared a goodnight kiss on Heeyoung’s doorstep.

“Next Friday a carnival is coming up by the lake. There’s gonna be fireworks. Do you want to go together?” Jay asked after separating from the kiss.

“When will you pick me up?” Heeyoung smiled giddily, keeping her arms across Jay’s shoulders.

“Eight. Don’t forget,” Jay winked excitedly.

“I won’t,” she leaned up on her toes and kissed him again before walking into her house and waving goodbye.

At the close of the door, Jay sighed blissfully, wandering back to his car happily and driving the short distance back to his family house. Pulling into his driveway and shutting down the car, he laid his head back against the head rest.

“Next Friday,” he sighed, the frown evident on his features. “It’s less than a week away. How am I ever going to tell her…?”

 

 

 

Walking over to the family car, Jay popped the trunk open, packing in a blanket and some food at his mother’s insistence. Climbing in behind the steering wheel after closing the trunk, Jay sighed again. Today was the day: Friday.

“How’s she going to react when I tell her?” he thought worriedly. “I wish I didn’t have to tell her.” Running a hand through his hair, he exhaled, putting the key in the ignition and going over to pick up Heeyoung.

Sitting out in the driveway after texting her to tell her he was waiting out front, he took the time to calm himself. He couldn’t show how anxious he was- it would only upset Heeyoung. It might be their last date; he wanted it to be the best one they’ve had yet. He just hopes it isn’t the last.

Coming to from his thoughts at the opening of the front door, Jay smiled at the sight of Heeyoung. She looked even more beautiful than when they had first met. Her hair had grown longer over the course of the summer, the tresses cascading down almost to the hem of her black skinny jeans. It also had the faintest highlights borne of the summer sun. Her skin had grown almost dramatically darker, her skin tone closer to that of a person of the equator now. It only makes her smile appear that much brighter. Sauntering out of her front door in a pair of salmon flip flops, black skinny jeans, and a flowing salmon shirt that was short in the front and slowly lengthened in the back, she smiled at Jay. She hardly ever wore makeup when they went out, and tonight was no exception. She didn’t need it; she was perfect without it.

Opening the car door and seating herself, Heeyoung kissed Jay’s lips as he appreciated her appearance. He returned the kiss and hugged her across the center of the car. Settling back into their seats, Jay put the car in drive and brought them to the lake.

Keeping an arm around her waist possessively for the duration of the night, Jay and Heeyoung walked the length of the carnival and back, enjoying the rides and playing the games. Jay almost forgot about what he had to tell Heeyoung that night, but whenever it seemed he had forgotten, something would always pop up about how close the end of summer was. How close the end of his time with Heeyoung was.

“Jay?” Heeyoung tugged on his sleeve, staring up into his face when he had stopped walking. “Are you okay?”

Looking down at her, he smiled reassuringly.

“I’m with you. I’m great,” he whispered to her, placing a long kiss on her temple.

“You sure?” she looked up into his eyes searchingly.

He nodded. “I am. You’re perfect, and your perfection rubbed off on me.” He grinned, pulling her up close to his side. “We’re perfect now. Aren’t we?” He leaned down, leaving a slow kiss on her lips.

“We are,” she smiled, assured by the end of the kiss.

Their eyes sparkling and gleaming at each other, Jay finally felt like he could tell her. He would tell her, and everything would work out.

“Come on,” he started their rhythm up again. “Let’s go find the perfect spot to watch the fireworks from.”

“Alright.”

Strolling along together, they went to the car and grabbed the blankets and food before dashing into the grass by the lakes.

“Come on, slow poke!” Heeyoung called behind her as she pranced over to what she imagined would be a perfect spot.

“Yah! I am not a slow poke!” Jay shouted back, lugging the food in a small cooler bag with him.

She turned around and stuck her tongue out at him before skipping the rest of the way to the desired spot. Stopping before the spot she wanted, she threw the blanket down, smoothing it over the gentle green grass. Lying on it on her side, imitating the pose from the Titanic, she awaited Jay’s prolonged arrival to the spot. Plopping down beside her, he opened the cooler and got out two cans of soda for the both of them, handing one to her, and raising his for a toast. Laughing together and gazing into each other’s eyes with the air of romance glittering within them alongside the lights of the carnival, Jay honestly felt like he wanted to stay beside Heeyoung forever. This moment in time was the epitome of perfection- he felt like there would be only a select few moments that could ever be even close to this one. He was hoping he would spend those few moments with Heeyoung.

Slipping his hand across her cheek and into her hair to cradle her head, he smiled the most genuine smile; he slowly inched closer to her, their breaths mingling in the cool summer night air, and their lips touched, and there were fireworks. Sparks and fascination and glee and anxiety collided and created a beautiful picture in the nighttime sky of their connection. It left a lasting impression on them both, and when they pulled away, if a literal firework hadn’t gone off again before them, Jay would have murmured three of the sweetest words to Heeyoung, but there the fireworks were, flying into the sky and leaving a lasting impression in the wind.

Lying on their backs and slipping their hands together between their still forms, they watched the fireworks, letting the sounds rumble the dirt beneath them and the lights above dazzle them. They felt like they were fireworks that were being set off in a collision course that was bringing them together. Yet, they felt like that collision had already happened- it had happened the day they first met. And again when they went to the flea market together. And again and again every time they spent time together. They were on a constant collision course, but it was lasting; and they wanted it to last.

The finale was spectacular and the colors were almost blinding. When it was all over, the two didn’t want to leave, not yet. They wanted to hold the instant for as long as they could. Of course, they can only hold it for so long. Cleaning up and trotting back to the car, they enjoyed the enduring feeling all the way into Heeyoung’s drive way. Jay knew it was now or never, though, and it had to be now. Didn’t it?

“Heeyoung,” he beckoned for her attention. His palms had already started sweating. “You… know how, when we first met, I never got to tell you how long I was staying for?”

Heeyoung’s heart dropped. “No. No, no, no. This can’t be happening,” her mind raced. “Tonight was perfect. There’s no reason for him to break up with me, is there? I thought we are perfect. He said so.”

“I’m leaving at the end of summer.”

She almost sighed in relief. She thought he was breaking up with her. But then again, he could be leading up to that. And what is there to be relieved about when he’s leaving soon?

“What do you mean by ‘end of summer’?” Heeyoung asked, voice hushed and uncertain.

“The… end of September. Is when I leave.”

“That’s a month away. One month away. Jay was only in America for three months. And two of them were already gone,” her mind processed the information, her eyes starting to water.

“You went out with me when you knew we’d only be together until the end of September?” she whimpered quietly, the question almost more of a statement.

“Yes. No. Heeyoung-“

“Am I just a summer fling to you?”

Jay wanted to break down and turn into a crying and sobbing mess right then and there. Heeyoung was never a summer fling to him. It was almost love at first sight, to the point where Jay didn’t think about anything except Heeyoung. It kept coming up- how much longer he had until he had to stop playing around and go back to work in Korea, but never when Heeyoung was around. With her, there was only them, and time didn’t matter. Nothing mattered. But it wouldn’t come out. He was so sincerely involved with her, he is almost certain he loves her, but she was so hurt. He couldn’t breathe.

Consumed with Jay’s silence and the tsunami of emotions that had just come her way, Heeyoung shook her head and exited the car, wiping her tears away as she hurried to her front door. She spared a glance back, but only saw Jay frozen in the driver’s seat, unable to get Heeyoung’s hurt expression out of his mind. Unlocking her front door, she went in, and that was that.

 

 

 

The end of August had arrived without any further incident. Jay’s tan was starting to fade from all of the time he was staying holed up in the house, and his spirit had grown sullen from all the time he was spending without Heeyoung. It was the first day of September the next day. Jay thought he was going to spend it with Heeyoung. Only he wasn’t. If only he had said what was going through his mind. If only he had tried to explain it- them- everything. If only…

Hearing the family car pull into the drive way, he retreated into his room, not wanting anyone to see him suffering in his self-inflicted agony. When he had come home that night after Heeyoung had ended them, his parents could tell he was in shock. Once they knew what had happened, they got Jay to sleep and kept him on healthy soup and stew for two days before they saw it wasn’t improving his mood. They saw how he had looked at her, the love in his eyes, the happiness in his smile. They knew this was more than soup and stew and sleep could fix. They just hoped time could fix it.

Lying on his bed on his back in the dim lighting his window provided, he thought back to that night under the starry night sky, the stars struggling to twinkle and shine above the neon lights of the carnival. It was the perfect night… And Jay had ruined it. He had ruined everything. He had ruined them.

Letting a stray tear run down his face at the memory of Heeyoung’s smile, and how quickly he had changed it into a look of betrayal, he curled up and let sleep take him.

 

“Heeyoung,” Daniel soothed, sitting on the floor beside Heeyoung as they leaned against her bed. “It’s been over two weeks. September is about to start in a few hours. You need to make a decision soon- now. There’s only three weeks left. It’ll be too late.”

“I know. It kills me. September is just hours away, and the end of September is just weeks away, but Jay is just a few minutes away. He’s so close. But why did he have to do that? Why then? Why on such a perfect night?” Heeyoung groaned, her voice slightly hoarse from having cried earlier over her dramas and the memories of them.

“Would you rather he told you he was leaving when he was getting on the plane?”

“No, that’s even worse.”

“Heeyoung,” Daniel wrapped her arm around Heeyoung’s shoulders. “I don’t think there was any good time to tell you that. I think it was hard for him to tell you then.”

“I don’t think it was hard for him,” Heeyoung grumbled angrily, sadly. “I was just a summer fling to him. Why did it matter to him if I knew or not? He’s going to leave me behind with all of the memories anyway.”

“That’s not true! He really, really likes you. Everyone can see it- heck, even strangers on the street can see it. His feelings for you run far deeper than a summer fling.”

“Even if they did, what does it matter now? He’s leaving soon, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Feeling defeated, the two of them sat in silence, unable to find the words to make the situation better.

“You know what really ?” Heeyoung piped up, her voice so soft it was almost inaudible. “Even if he had told me he was only going to be here for three months when we first met, I still wouldn’t have given falling in love with him a second thought.”

Her bottom lip trembling, Daniel hugged Heeyoung close, letting her tears wet her shoulder.

 

“Jay, I don’t give two s about what you have to say: you are going to the amusement park with us tomorrow,” Sam declared, pointing right into Jay’s face. They were back at the walkway again. The view, though still beautiful, had no appeal to Jay anymore.

“Why? I have my flight back home the day after. What if I miss my plane?” Jay argued, unwilling to adventure out of his family house more than he had to. He had one more day after this one before he was going back to work. The reverie was almost over. He wanted to waste the last bit in peace.

What if I miss my plane-“ Thomas started mimicking him as he sat up from his spot lying across the steps. “If you miss your plane, that’ll give you even more time to make up with Heeyoung. You know: say I’m sorry, kiss, sweep her off her feet, and runaway to the Bahamas together. I hope you miss your plane, actually.” Thomas finished, crossing his arms. He was mad. This was completely ridiculous. Jay loved Heeyoung- why was he running away from her? Yeah, he should have explained everything that night, but there had still been many more nights he could have tried to explain things to her once he had come out of shock. It was all so ridiculous, and Thomas wished he was friends with Heeyoung so he could throw the two of them together and mix their love lives again in a big pot of love and happiness.

“Thanks Thomas,” Jay grunted irritated. “Only, even if I did miss my plane, Heeyoung wouldn’t be there to make up with.”

“WHY DON’T YOU TWO TALK ABOUT THIS?!” Thomas exploded, rising to his feet and charging Jay, grabbing him by the collar. “You both care about each other so much, neither one of you has left their house in weeks! You love each other! You love each other! What else does there need to be? What will it take for you two to just talk!?”

Breathing heavily and letting go of Jay’s shirt, Thomas took a step back and sat down, running his hands through his hair and grabbing at the strands. “Just talk. Is it really that hard?”

Looking to Jay, Sam and Thomas waited to see if he would even give them an answer.

“It is. I broke her heart. I put her on cloud nine and then I ripped out her heart and tap danced on it. She was so hurt when I told her I only had until two days from now. Looking into her eyes was like looking into a flower that had bloomed so wonderfully before being stomped on so brutally. I couldn’t breathe. She was literally my oxygen in that moment, and I hadn’t even tried to keep her there.”

 

A harsh glare ripped across the asphalt, the heat making the air visibly vibrate and wave. It was hot- like the surface of Venus hot, but it only made Jay feel like he was getting what he deserved as Thomas, Sam and him moved from ride to ride at the amusement park. The same one he had taken Heeyoung to. Jay wanted to shrivel up and die, and he was confident this weather was ideal for that, but he knew he didn’t really want to die. He was just sick, lovesick, because his health was with Heeyoung.

Drifting to the next ride as the sun was reaching the peak of hotness at around two in the afternoon, Thomas caved, darting out of line and sprinting to get them some drinks to guzzle down before they started flopping on the ground like fish out of water. Leaning carefully against the searing metals bars as they waited in line, Jay surveyed the crowd of people, shuffling through the faces, his heart searching for Heeyoung. He knew he wouldn’t see her there. Why would she ever come back here? He was sure it would only bring back painful memories. But maybe there was a chance Heeyoung had gotten over him. Jay was willing to accept that if she was happy, even if he didn’t want either of them to ever move on. He wanted them to be together for a long time. Heeyoung…

“Heeyoung?” his eyes focused, squinting to sharpen the quality of his vision. “Is that her? Is that really her? Could she really be here, right now?” His heart raced, his blood moving through capillaries and arteries and veins, his circuits going haywire and his body swarming with life. Heeyoung!

His heart stopped cold. “Would she want me to approach her? Would she listen to me? Would she accept me again? Would she turn me away? Slap me? Cry? Do I even deserve to go over to her?”

Ducking his head down, he turned around, facing away from the love of his life. He didn’t know what to do, or if he should do anything. He was going back across the ocean tomorrow. Why would she take him back now?

 

“Singles!” the workers at one of the roller coasters was shouting. “Singles up front! We have room for one person up front!”

Jay jumped at the chance. Sitting with a total stranger rather than potentially risking a personal talk with Sam, since Thomas was Mr. Socialite, was an appealing choice. He wanted it. Leaving Thomas and Sam to sit together, he ran up front, getting seated and buckled in.

Sitting eagerly, waiting for the ride to start up, he turned to the person beside him.

“Heeyoung.”

She let out the smallest quiver of a breath at the sound of her name leaving Jay’s lips.

“I can’t believe you’re here. I mean, I saw you earlier, but…”

“What do you want?” she questions weakly, defensively. She wanted to preserve as much of herself as she could before it is all stripped away with Jay’s leave.

“I’m sorry.”

The ride clinks into motion, the racket drowning out any other words Jay wanted to say to Heeyoung, and vice versa.

Facing forward, the two were silent for the extent of the ride, the unsaid words waiting and stewing in their minds and hearts. At the end, though, when they got off the ride, Heeyoung raced forward in a futile attempt to run away from Jay who followed her to the exit of the ride before he was able to stop her.

“Heeyoung, wait, please, wait,” he pleaded, trying to say what he needed to say. “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I’m sorry. Please listen to what I have to say.”

“Didn’t you just say it?” she bit back.

“No, there’s more, so much more,” he smiled at everything residing in his heart for her, even though his lips quivered and shook. “You are so much more. You aren’t a summer fling to me. You could never be. When I first saw you, I lost all coherencies. And when we talked, nothing mattered. It was just you and me, and time didn’t matter. Remember how we lost track of time that first night out on the front step? I didn’t tell you sooner because it doesn’t matter to me. It feels like I have all the time in the world with you. But I had to tell you. I needed to. I was hoping to have a little longer with you, but I didn’t want you to be taken by surprise when I leave. I like you, I like you so much, and I’m so, so, so sorry. Please. Even if it’s only for the last few hours of today, can we be us again?”

He clasped both of her hands within his, his thumbs rubbing quaint circles into the back of her pretty hands. His eyes glitter and shone with regret and longing and all the love in the world for Heeyoung and Heeyoung alone. He could only hope it was reaching her.

When she was silent for what felt like eternity, his soul started splintering. She wasn’t going to accept him back. She was never going to see him or speak to him ever again. It was really the end this time.

“Meet me at the Ferris Wheel,” she spoke, her voice solid, masking all of her emotions. “The big one. Meet me there at sunset.”

“The Ferris Wheel? And then you’ll give me your answer?” he croaked, his soul really about to leave his body and find a tree to weep in for eternity.

“Don’t be late.”

Retracting her hands reluctantly, slowly, she pulled away as the rest of the people filed out of the exit around them, carrying her into the crowd and making her vanish from his sight.

“Where’d you go?” Thomas asked, placing a hand on Jay’s shoulder as Sam and he caught up.

“I was right here the whole time,” Jay said, his emotions feeling some sort of strange balance. He had a chance. He wasn’t rejected. Yet.

 

Clouds were tie-dyed pink, purple, blue and orange as they slunk across the horizon in front of the sun. The far eastern sky was a navy blue and the petite twinkles of stars in the distance could be seen. It was sunset, and Jay was almost at the Ferris Wheel. He wasn’t sure what late would be in the case of a sunset, so he just hoped he was on time. Coming upon the end of the line, he saw Heeyoung standing beside it, waiting.

She was indescribably beautiful, and Jay was almost certain that, if he married her someday, he would find her more and more beautiful every day of their lives together.

Silently getting in line together, they waited until they were seated within the cage and shifted forward.

“How long will you be gone?” she asked, the melodious sound of her voice almost inaudible.

“A couple of years,” Jay responded despondently.

“And you’ll be faithful?”

“Absolutely,” he responded seriously, solemnly.

She looked his sincerity up and down, scrutinizing it harshly. She didn’t want to get hurt again, even if the first time was a misunderstanding.

“Kiss me.”

Smiling like the lame, dorky man-child he had become around Heeyoung, Jay swept the hair from her shoulders, curling his fingers into the strands at the back of her head and pulling her to him, holding her as if she would break if he held on any tighter. Their lips connecting with a butterfly’s touch, they collided, their love reigniting into a passionate pink. It was amazing, astounding, marvelous, and quite possibly even better than their first sweet and innocent kiss. Pulling apart unwillingly, they held their foreheads together, their skin meeting and making the moment feel real.

Opening his eyes and boring them into Heeyoung’s Jay, with all of his self, said what he had wanted to all summer. “I love you.”

It was his first time admitting it to Heeyoung, admitting it to the only person that mattered. He loved her, and he knew that there was still a lot they needed to learn about one another, but he was willing to take all the time in the world if it meant time with Heeyoung.

“I love you. I’ll be faithful, I’ll visit whenever I can, we’ll talk, we’ll text, we’ll Skype- I’ll even write to you. Just don’t leave me again. I love you, Heeyoung.”

She giggled, all of the stress and anxiety and sadness being overtaken by the freeing of her caged heart. That’s all she needed to hear. It’s all she had ever needed to hear. He loved her. Jaebeom Park loved her.

“I won’t leave you,” she whispered, her hands coming up to cup Jay’s cheeks. “I love you, too.”

Their lips reconnecting in a feverish confirmation and reconciliation of their relationship, they sighed and whimpered and shed tears of joy and euphoria. In all of their joy, they were oblivious to the world around them, the one that kept turning and was slowly bringing them into a new tomorrow. It was their new tomorrow, though. As long as they were together, what did time matter?

 

 

-

 

Epilogue

                                The engines roared to a stop, the wheels squeaking against the black runway as the airplane slowed before a caddie hooked onto it and tugged it carefully to its gate, the passengers anxiously fidgeting, resisting the urge to pull their bags out from the upper compartments and dash forth from the aircraft. The gate met the side of the plane, the doors opened, and the passengers bustled out hurriedly. One in particular stood out from the rest: he rolled out in a pair of shining black dress shoes, black slacks, and a white button up dress shirt that hugged his toned torso. His hand was on his phone, ready to turn it back on the minute he could take a moment to sit down and call his girlfriend of three years. His other hand was buried in his pocket, a little black box that was coated in velvet and cushioned with all the love in the universe. He took a deep, excited breath.

                Finding a nearby seat at one of the airport cafes, he ordered an Americano before turning his phone on and pressing the number one on his speed dial: Heeyoung.

                “Heeyoung?” he asked once the phone seemed to stop ringing.

                “Jay? Is that you? What’s up?” she wondered, bouncing on her toes at the sound of his voice.

                “I just arrived at the airport in Los Angeles. I should be up in Washington by tomorrow.”

                “You’re home!? You’re coming home tomorrow?!” Heeyoung pulled the phone away so she could scream in jubilation. “Be safe! Please be safe and come home right now! I miss you- I miss you so, so much! I can’t believe you’re coming home tomorrow!”

                “I miss you too. I’ll be home as soon as I can get there. Just wait for me a little longer.” He felt the velvet of the little black box under his fingers again. “I have a surprise for you.”

-Fin-

 

Thank you for reading!!! I hope you liked it. I hope it wasn't too long for you, or boring, or anything bad. Of course, if it was a little sad when it was supposed to be, though, that would be great. Comments, criticism, please. It is much appraciated.