We saw it coming...

The last spring in London.

In 1887, the spring was warmer than usual when Jo Seon, colonized by the British Kingdom, sent its prince to England so he can settle the retreat of the colonizing forces from the Han grounds. The prince Taemin was shaking slightly, while his head was straight up. He wasn’t used to the weather of England but he had to hide it from the sharp eyes of Milady Kimengton, who was his . Even though Taemin was raised to keep his emotions deeply hidden in his heart, she seemed to read him like an open book. The cozy sofa of the Ambassador’s living room didn’t chase away the uneasy feeling he got, in the silence, while waiting for the busy ambassador who was still in his office when the prince secretly managed to reach London.

“Excuse my late apparition.” A masculine voice said as doors opened. “I truly couldn’t believe having the honor of such visit.”

Taemin bowed his head, slightly, graciously, with a little humble hint in his gesture; it was the bow of a King. “The Ambassador Lee, I suppose.” He said softly, trying to hide still his uncomfortable position, and hold the groan that he got in his throat due the pain of his sore back.

“Indeed, your Royal Highness.” the Ambassador said bowing down, knee and fist down. “It’s a great honor, your Royal Highness.”

Taemin smiled slightly before looking at the stiff Lady who found it outrageous to be ignored. “Milady Kimengton, my and a trustful person when it comes to culture.” Taemin said making the man notice the woman next to him.

“Milady.” The Ambassador said, holding her hand and leaning to kiss it. “Honored by your visit.”

The woman politely replied the man and scoffed as soon as he gave her a cold shoulder. Taemin looked up to notice that the man was stiffening while looking at him directly for the first time. “Lord Lee.” A feminine voice said getting. “Oh, excuse my rudeness. Did I come in an inappropriate circumstance?”

“Luna, it’s not inappropriate.” The man said, more uneasy by losing his composed self in front of such beautiful face, than by being caught staring at a man. “I was honored by the visit of the youngest prince of Jo Seon, his Royal Highness Taemin”.

The woman’s cheeks went pink as she made a reverence in front of Taemin who nodded as she looked at him. His position was quite stiff, she noted, judging by how his hands, his posture, and his face expressed it. She stood up and made a reverence to the woman before escorting her to a garden, as the Ambassador invited them to take some refreshing drinks in the unusually bright day. “I may not last my visit. My is done and I have to leave the prince presence in your trustful hands, Lord Lee.”

“Honored to get the King’s trust for such mission.” The Ambassador said bowing to Milady who got in her car, pushed by five beautiful black horses, which stood in the garden’s door. “Have a safe trip, Milady” the woman didn’t reply and ordered coldly for the car to move. When she left, the prince let out a loud sigh.

Lord Lee and the woman looked at the prince who avoided to look at them and preceded them to the served tea. He was hungry, so he served himself despite the fact it was out of the protocol. “So, Royal Highness, what is the reason of your visit to the enemy fields?” the woman asked him all of sudden, making the Lord almost glare, but then he recalled worrying about that subject: “Why is the prince here?”

Taemin looked up to her with a neutral expression before smiling. “It’s confidential.” Taemin’s tone was monotone, and so emotionless that the man observed him for a moment with a worry gaze. “I’ll come back to my quarter next to father, as soon as my mission end, while that, you, Lee Jin Ki, have to insure my security”

“Be sure that you are under good cares.” Jin Ki said sipping from his tea, absently, with a smile in his lips painted by how suavely his name was pronounced. Luna excused herself and left, while that Taemin wondered in the mansion, until he reached a library, a huge space with two sofas, a glorious office, and walls covered with book shelves. “Your Royal Highness, I see that you are fascinated by reading.”

Jin Ki was there the whole time, and Taemin didn’t look back to the Ambassador, as he blushed hard because the older man startled him. “I do read different kind of books” Taemin said softly. “Contrarily to my brothers, I have the possibility to pursue knowledge.”

Jin Ki smiled walking to the chair behind the desk and sitting in while observing the traditional outfit swiftly embracing every move the prince made. Taemin could feel the eyes on him but didn’t dare to look back and scold the man, because it was absurd to scold someone who observe you for your own security or to be honest, Taemin couldn’t face the man at all. Suddenly, he cut his finger as he caressed a book. He held a pain groan and lowered his hand trying to act normal when a hand held his and he looked surprised to the man next to him. “Let me see your injury, your Royal Highness” Jin Ki asked escorting Taemin to a sofa. The prince wished to protest but couldn’t. Words had left his brain as he observed the man kneeling in front of his finger, wiping the blood softly and taking off the wood fragment inside it. The prince made a weird sound due to the sudden pain caused by the fragment, so he blushed and coughed to hide his humiliation. “I think it’s definitely acceptable if you show your pain, Young prince.” Jin Ki said suddenly.

“I’m …” Taemin was about to scold him when Jin Ki looked up to him and words died in Taemin’s throat. Never a man looked so amazingly overwhelming in Taemin’s eyes before, and it made him thrilled.

“You are free from duties inside my home, your Royal Highness.” Taemin didn’t believe himself hearing this and Jin Ki was right, who will know if he followed the protocols or not? He sighed and relaxed his muscles. “Do you want to eat dinner your Royal Highness?” the voice of the Ambassador woke him up from his thoughts.

“Taemin. Call me Taemin, Lord Jin Ki.” Taemin said with a soft smile. Jin Ki could feel his heart racing at the sight of the most cute and adorable smile he ever had the chance to witness. He was shocked by the boy’s beauty when he first saw the prince features but now, the cuteness and kindness of the smile made him more dazzled.

“Taemin, would you like to eat dinner with me tonight?” Jin Ki said absently making Taemin blush madly. Taemin scolded himself; he suddenly thought that letting the man in front of him say his name was a really bad idea. Never, in his life, the prince shivered by hearing his name pronounced. He nodded waking the man up. Jin Ki freed the hand he was holding, and stood to order the servants.

Taemin and Jin Ki took a dinner in silence, not daring to speak, one afraid of losing composure and one because he couldn’t think of words to pronounce. Then, each went to his room, Taemin was glad that a servant was the one taking him to his room, because he was so shy to stand in front of a bed with the older man by his side, and he couldn’t tell why though.

It was promising to be the longest night for them both, as they tried to make it clear in their thoughts. Taemin was suddenly remembering the man’s face. Jin Ki was gorgeously handsome, imposing, yet trustable and friendly looking, and his voice was incredibly melting; Taemin swore that if he was a girl, he would fall in love of such low toned voice.

 Due to the timeline difference, the prince couldn’t sleep more than a half hour, which seemed long for him and woke at his usual 6 am in his country to notice that it’s still dark. He wondered in the house, wearing a white Hanbok, eyebrows raised in wonder. Until he saw that it was 10 pm. The Prince noticed that the servants were the only people awake in this hour, as he could hear noises coming from the kitchen area. He went to the library and took a book, noticing that he can’t sleep at all, when Jin Ki got in, wearing still his official uniform.

“Oh, Young prince.” Jin Ki called Taemin with a startled tone, since the white outfit made the prince look even more like a fairy. Taemin looked back to him and blushed. “You seems sleepless tonight. Oh, I remember, it’s early in Jo Seon, in this kind of hours.”  

“Indeed, I’m sleepless for tonight, and I hope you don’t mind me using your books as entertainment.” Taemin asked as he wondered still in the books, trying to find an interesting one.

“I don’t mind, your … Taemin.” Jin Ki said with a hint of awkwardness that made Taemin look at him surprised and Jin Ki made an embarrassed laughter that Taemin replied with a smile.

“You are indeed interesting, Lord Jin Ki. I heard good words about you before coming.” Taemin said with a soft tone. Jin Ki felt his cheeks burning, flattered by the sudden compliment from Taemin.

“Thank you sir.” Jin Ki said before bowing and Taemin just laughed at his cuteness. The laughter made Jin Ki’s heart stop beating for a moment before he could look up to the boy who was putting back a book and taking another one. Jin Ki felt glad that in the lowly illuminated room, his expressions weren’t clear or the prince will notice his reaction for sure. “Do you want me to recommend you a book, sir?”

Taemin shook his head putting back the book he had in hand, he looked back to the Ambassador. “I feel tired, so I think I’ll go and meditate in my room, until I fall asleep again.” Taemin said with a sad tone.

“Taemin, is everything alright?” the question went out instinctively from Jin Ki’s lips and he was about to back off when Taemin looked at him directly in the eyes.

“You know that the British forces are colonizing us for four years now.” Taemin said suddenly.

“Indeed I do, Young Prince.” Jin Ki said with a hint of worry.

“I’m sent here to see the queen; I have a deal to make with her in order to withdraw her forces from our lands.” Taemin said sighing. Jin Ki was shocked by the revelation but it slowly made sense for him. “My father was planning to come himself but there is rumors of the existence of some forces against the deal.”

“So they sent the person the forces will suspect the less, the youngest son of The King…” Jin Ki mumbled when Taemin sighed again and sat in a sofa with a heavy expression. “Is there something else I don’t know?”

Taemin looked at Jin Ki a moment and with tearing eyes, he neutrally said. “I may not be able to come back to Jo Seon if I don’t make the deal.”

“Which mean?” Jin Ki could not understand it because the king was known as a clement and loving King… he couldn’t expel his own son from his lands just because he couldn’t fulfill a mission.

“Which mean that I’m exiled from the country until I come back with the deal and the withdraw order.” Taemin said with a pale smile. Jin Ki went pale, he couldn’t believe it. But then Taemin spoke again. “I have this worrying thought that I may not be qualified to make such deals with a queen, I wasn’t raised to be an heir of a throne, so…”

“Nonsense, your Royal Highness!” Jin Ki said kneeling in front of the sitting prince. “You can do it, I’m sure you can.” Taemin blushed, and his heart raced when he felt Jin Ki’s hands holding his. “Believe on yourself, Taemin. I’m sure that you can. As well, I’ll be there to help you.”

“Thank you, Jin Ki ssi.” Taemin said with an embarrassed tone. Jin Ki smiled and pulled Taemin to a soft hug. Taemin tried to hold his composure, and hold his body from reacting but he failed. Jin Ki, in other hand, widened his eyes in shock and embarrassment noticing what he did but he managed to show a smile. “Consider it as a brother promise, Taemin. I swear I’ll never leave your side until you fulfill your mission.” Jin Ki’s words hurt Taemin’s heart deeply. Brother? Taemin noticed that his feeling for Jin Ki since he knew him weren’t brotherly or friendly, it was sudden, deep, and dazzling. However, he nodded with a smile and Jin Ki escorted him, holding still his hand, until his room and wished him a good night.

When Taemin found himself alone in the room, he couldn’t hold his tears back so he pulled a pillow and start crying his heart out. He wasn’t crying because of his dad threatening words or his brothers sharp comments before he came… He was crying because Jin Ki considered himself as his brother… and he didn’t want him to. “What is going wrong with you, Taemin? You are a prince; you can’t be like this.” He whined to himself, trying to shake some sense in himself but then he could just cry harder. Jin Ki heard the sobs and didn’t dare to interfere, afraid to hurt the prince ego if he make him know that everybody heard him crying. Jin Ki walked silently back to the office and sat there with heavy thoughts. Taemin was young, maybe sixteen, or less, and he wasn’t ready for such mission. He wondered if he could do something to lessen the burden from Taemin’s shoulders so he kept thinking of possibilities, of people to contact. In the end, he thought of a new step. “Sleep well, Taemin.” he said observing the sofa where he hugged the prince, a smile appearing slowly in his lips.

In the next day, Taemin raised his head in shock. He looked around trying to remember where, and what he was doing in that room when suddenly remembered everything, which made him sigh and rest back his head. He left the bed, his head hurting him badly, when he noticed that it was paste the time of lunch. An annoyance sigh went out from his lips as he noticed a warm bath waiting for him. The male servant who was warming it helped him to undress, when he gasped at the sight of his milky skin. “Please forgive me.” he said bowing. Taemin found it funny so he didn’t comment and continue undressing himself and got in the huge bathtub. He pulled his knees to his chest, and rested his head on them, as a hand applied a lavender oily substance, turning into bubble, in his back and massaged his tense muscles. He moaned in the pleasuring treatment, he was about to compliment the servant, when he noticed that it wasn’t the same person, and his red face went directly back to its hidden spot, surrounded by long and silky black hair. He tried to not make a noise when he felt a hand pulling softly his hair and brushing it softly.

His brother, Kibum, used to do so to him, when he was younger; but as soon as he got his sixteenth anniversary, four years ago, none of them treated him like before, in fact, they were so busy to hold the colonization back that they ignored him completely and he was forgotten by the whole kingdom. The memory made him feel unloved and tears were about to storm in his eyes but he held them back, holding the hand which was brushing and took the brush instead. He dressed his hair nicely, using his blue ribbon and rested his head back, and freed his knees from their position, forgetting WHO was with him. He choose to rest his head more since the pain was fading.

Jin Ki looked away, blushing hard, and gaining few new feelings that he wasn’t ready to deal with. He felt his body react just by the sight of such beautiful body and flawless skin. So he choose to leave the bathroom, closing the door. Taemin opened his eyes to look at the leaving man and felt his body electrified at the memory of Jin Ki being the one touching him, brushing his hair… When Jin Ki closed the door, Taemin tried to breathe evenly and slipped inside the water, sleeping in his side while pulling his legs back to his knees. The water was getting colder and he felt his body relaxing even more. He stood to breathe and left the bathtub, wrapping himself with a gown. He went to his room and changed his clothes when three servants came in and cleaned the room and the bathroom as well. While that, he went to the office, seeking for Jin Ki but froze at the sight in the front door. Jin Ki and the woman, as he remember was name Luna, were hugging each other in the front door. “I’ll never forget your help, Luna.” The woman slightly laughed and left. When Jin Ki turn back to face Taemin, his face showed surprise then a happy smile shined in his face. “I have good news for you, Taemin.” Taemin smiled politely, looking away, and followed Jin Ki when the last pointed to the dining room. “Let me order you lunch.” Jin Ki said hinting to a servant to move.

Few moments after, Taemin had different meals in front of him. “So what are the news, Jin Ki ssi?” Taemin said holding the folk and knife, eating as he was taught.

“I can manage you a meeting with the minister of war and strategy.” Jin Ki said making Taemin almost choking in his food. Taemin looked at him surprised and Jin Ki ended by laughing. “You have such cute side of you, Young prince.”

Taemin blushed and continued eating. “What would meeting the minister bring me as a benefit?” Taemin was slightly shy to look at the Ambassador, since this one saw him . Jin Ki coughed to gain a little of his lost composure, since he was aware more about Taemin’s body, and skin.

“The minister is someone the queen trust the most, so if you convince him. Then it will be easy to convince her either.” Jin Ki said softly, with a low tone, leaning to Taemin’s ear. “But be careful, the forces which want the deal to stop could be British.”

Taemin understood Jin Ki discretion, so he nodded even if they were speaking Korean all the time, it could be possible for a British person to speak in Korean, since he met many able to back in Jo Seon. “Can I know what the deal is?” Jin Ki asked him, whispering to his ear, since he leaned to the boy, his chin almost resting on the younger’s shoulder.

“I was planning to land her the south islands.” Taemin whispered back, “you know that they are good lands and provide half of what we trade with England.

“Indeed I do. But they are the country’s resources.”

“Defenseless resources and Japanese targets.” Taemin said with a smile. “I’m sure that the American forces won’t try to touch those lands while the Japanese will.”

“I think I see what your dad plan is.” Jin Ki said with a smile.

“It’s not dad’s plan… it’s mine.” Taemin said lowering tone.

Jin Ki’s eyes widened. “What?” he looked at the boy, unaware of how close they were. Their lips were small little millimeters apart.

 “Dad sent me to convince her, without a deal. I had this idea in the road. I have friends in the enemy fields that will make some legion and attack the lands undercover.”

“So, the British kingdom will think it was the Japanese forces attacking them while you take the lands back.”

“This is the plan.”

“There is a risk, Taemin.” Jin Ki said caressing the blushing Taemin. “If the forces understand the trap you are making, they may hurt your kingdom even more.”

“My kingdom?” Taemin said. “It’s our, Jin Ki ssi. Even if you are a British citizen now, you are a Korean.”

“I didn’t say I wasn’t.” Jin Ki smilingly replied tilting his head, while his nose tip caressed Taemin’s skin as well as his fingers. “You are too dangerous for your age, Taemin.”

“I’m twenty, Jin Ki ssi. I’m a grown up prince.” Taemin said huskily, a heat rising inside him.

“Twenty?” Jin Ki said surprised, “I thought you were younger.”

“Everybody does, Jin Ki ssi.” Taemin said smiling.

Suddenly, the heat reached a level that when their lips brushed; they got an electrifying sensation in their bodies. “We shouldn’t be like this.” Taemin said suddenly, blushing, melting, and wanting…

“I know…” Jin Ki replied and parted away with a soft smile. Taemin felt a little ashamed with himself but he didn’t felt it wrong. In fact, nothing felt that right for him like that small friction. He continued eating like nothing happened and Jin Ki observed him for a while before smiling again. He knew that normally a Prince like Taemin won’t allow anybody to touch them that way unless…

“So, are you getting married?” Taemin asked him suddenly and Jin Ki’s smile widened nodding to Taemin who went pale all of sudden. The change of his skin tone startled the eldest but then he didn’t think of it too much since he got a visit.

Surprisingly, it was one of the Queen trusted guards. He got in the room with a straight face and Jin Ki stood making Taemin behind him. “Can I know the reason of such visit, Mr.?” Jin Ki asked him, a shake noticed in his tone. Taemin felt even more scared when he noticed so but he stood straight, after wiping the food from his lips and faced the guard who didn’t speak. “Take me to meet the queen, if that is the reason of your visit.” Taemin said neutrally.

 Jin Ki looked at Taemin in surprise. The Ambassador just felt afraid for the boy, he couldn’t let him go by himself. Taemin walked after the guard when he knelt in front of young prince. “Young prince…”

“Don’t worry Ambassador Lee.” Taemin said with a smile. Jin Ki didn’t look up to the prince, he was shocked with himself. Why? Why was he so afraid for the prince like this? How can a complete stranger make him feel this way? He knelt the whole time until the servant closed the door behind Taemin. The young prince didn’t look back to the Ambassador, afraid from showing his fear to the eldest. He sat in front of the guard when another car passed by and a woman with an imposing aura got in. She was intimidating but Taemin wasn’t scared that much as from the failure. The idea that he wasn’t ready to make her accept the deal broke his thoughts and he stiffened more when she spoke.

“Isn’t it disrespectful from your father to send you to me?” the queen said with a scary tone.

“Isn’t it disrespectful from your Highness to underestimate me before even hearing me?” Taemin said bowing his head. The queen let a small giggle making Taemin look at her surprised.

“For your young age, you have a great character.” The queen said. “I’m listening to you, as I know why you are here.”

“I’m offering some of our islands, which form a line south the Country, which provide the totality of the resource with which we trade.” Taemin said looking at her, straight in the eyes. “In exchange, you withdraw your forces from our lands.”

“I see. You are offering me your best lands in exchange of your people freedom.” The queen reformulated Taemin’s words. “Why would I?”

Taemin looked at her surprised. Why would she? “Isn’t taking over lands was because your highness wished control our resources and face the American forces? My offer will make you have our best resources, leaving for my people the minimum to survive. I’m not here as my father’s messenger but because I care for my country. All I want for them is some freedom.” His voice shook in emotion. He couldn’t hold his despair when he sensed her uninterested.

“We all feel the same for our country.” She commented.

“No… your highness, I prefer to die right now than to come back home with disappointment to my people instead of freedom.” Taemin said harshly. “You don’t understand because your country isn’t in the same position as ours, your people doesn’t need you the same way mine needs me. Excuse me your highness… If I sounded rude, you can order my death, I’ll be glad to do it with my hands as well.”

She looked at him briefly, a sparkle of amusement in her eyes. “Hold your temper, young prince.” She said suddenly. “I was actually planning to withdraw my forces before your visit.”

“Excuse me?” he asked her blinking. “You were… planning to do so before I came?”

“Indeed. The news of the losses reach me and I don’t want my soldiers to die for a needless land.” Her words made Taemin’s blood boil in anger. He didn’t know if he need to react or not; so, he swallowed his words. The car soon stopped in front of the Ambassador’s house and he bowed his head before leaving the car then stood and bowed until the car disappeared from his sight. He moved inside in anger, and then rushed to his room, scaring the servants to whom he glared deadly.

Jin Ki got news of his return so he went to see him when he noticed that the prince was walking in circle, tears of anger in his eyes. “Young prince.” Jin Ki softly said trying to hold Taemin and make him stop.

“She… I…” Taemin tried to say something but it was swallowed with his ego. She insulted him and his country and he couldn’t do a thing. He felt more tears of anger rushing in his eyes and tried to free himself from Jin Ki’s touch before sobbing.

“Calm down, Taemin.” Jin Ki said pulling Taemin to a hug to which Taemin replied unconsciously and start crying silently. Jin Ki didn’t know what happened so he thought of the worse. “We can still convince the minister. Don’t take your first failure…”

“She will withdraw her forces from our lands.” Taemin said through his sobs. “She said she doesn’t want her soldiers to die in needless lands. She insulted me and I couldn’t reply… I couldn’t say a word.”

Jin Ki widened his eyes, felt warmness inside him when he understood that the prince was safe, and could return to where he belongs safely. “Don’t give too much importance to what she said. The important is that Jo Seon is free.”

Taemin’s arms surrounded Jin Ki’s neck as he hugged him tighter sobbing more. He wished he can forget, as he looked at the smiling man in front of him. “I wish I can forget what she said…” he said with soft tears falling that the Ambassador dried softly. Taemin and Jin Ki danced unconsciously to a soundless melody. They were tightly scotched to each other for a long moment until a servant knocked their door and they parted away. “The tea is served, Sir.” The servant said before leaving.

“Come and take a cup of tea with me. It will relax you.” Jin Ki said holding Taemin’s hand and pulling him to the living room, where the table was set and the servant was serving tea in small porcelain cups. Taemin sat in front of Jin Ki and got the cup from Jin Ki’s hands watching the eldest serving himself. “I got this tea set when I was ambassador in The Middle east. They are made of Glass actually but paint in white to look exactly like porcelain.” Jin Ki explained making Taemin look at his cup carefully, curious about the shape. “Drink your tea before it cool down.”

Taemin sipped from it and looked up to the man who was eating from a cake, his eyes absently looking away. “Are you alright, Jin Ki ssi?” Taemin asked him. Jin Ki was about to say “no, I’m not ok… I feel weird since I saw you.” Jin Ki smiled swallowing back his words and nodded.

“I’m fine. It’s just I don’t know if I have to be happy or annoyed.” Jin Ki said suddenly. “I planned to make you visit the country but since your mission is complete, I think you will leave the country soon.”

“I may stay until I get the news of the withdrawal.” Taemin said with a smile. “So, I’m free to see some places, am I?”

Jin Ki nodded. “I have a small cottage in the south of the island, it’s quite far from population but surrounded by magnificent views.”

“Shall we go tomorrow? I don’t think I have too much time.” Taemin said pouting thoughtfully. “I don’t know if she will withdraw her forces the next days or after a couple of weeks.”

Jin Ki nodded before pointing at a servant who nodded and left. “I think we will be able to leave tonight. By the way, aren’t you sleepy now?”

“No, not really.” Taemin said and Jin Ki nodded with a smile. “Will Luna go with us?”

“I don’t think I can take a woman without marriage to an isolated place.” Jin Ki commented, while the information made Taemin’s body shiver. He will be in an isolated place with Jin Ki… His cheeks burned in the thought, Jin Ki noticed the blush and held himself from chuckling. “So, Young Prince. Aren’t you getting married?”

“No, not until my first older brother get married first.” Taemin replied with an uninterested tone. “Which I think will happen sooner that what people think.”

“Why so?” Jin Ki asked him, raising an eyebrow.

“Dad had settled his wedding after the withdrawal. Then my second and third older brother. I’ll be the last getting married of course.” Taemin said sighing. “I hope at least I’ll get the privilege to marry someone I’ll love.”

“Aren’t you already in love? I thought people fall in love in younger age.” Jin Ki commented.

“I don’t know… before coming here I don’t think I had given my heart to anyone.” Taemin said looking to Jin Ki shyly. “I hope only to not leave my heart in this country.”

“Oh, don’t worry; I won’t let you meet any potential courting candidate.”

“Why?”

“Well, you are here in an official mission. If you wonder around, your father may get a hold of the news, and be disappoint of you.”

“He will anyway if he get hold on what the queen decided to do even before sending me here.”

“Don’t think too much about what she said to you.”

“I told you I hope I can. It’s hard for me to forget the way she said it.”

They stopped talking since the mood dropped and Taemin sulked suddenly. Jin Ki couldn’t speak again, as he felt himself guilty to bring up the subject with the young prince. Of course, Taemin would never forget what the queen said; he’s a prince and a prince esteem his lands dearly, regardless to his esteem to his people. Jin Ki sighed as he observed how absently Taemin was sipping from the cup which was empty. Taemin didn’t seem to notice.

The teatime went in a complete silence and for the first time, Jin Ki appreciated neither that small break nor the silence.

He knew that the prince was a bright chatter, and a person to appreciate his company. He could tell so from the younger’s smile, blushes, and intelligent answers. “Jin Ki ssi.” He woke up from his deep thoughts.

“Huh?” Jin Ki said looking up to the standing boy.

“I’m going to sleep a little. Can I request you to be the one who wakes me up? I don’t want to have any contact with your British servants.” Taemin said with a twisted expression. Jin Ki sighed nodding. Taemin was obviously taking a grudge against the whole country. As Jin Ki nodded, Taemin left to his room, avoiding any eye contact with the servants, and as soon as he slept in his bed, he fell in a deep sleep. It was really hard for him to hear the voices calling his name or the hand shaking him but he did, and opened his eyes to notice Jin Ki’s face close to his. “Oh, I’m awake, Jin Ki SSI.”

“Our belongings are already in the car, so you have just to get ready, I’ll be waiting for you downstairs.” Jin Ki said nodding and Taemin nodded as well standing to wash his face, steadying his hair and outfit. It’s only when he stepped in the last stair that he noticed Jin Ki’s outfit. A smile flashed in his face noticing the Ambassador in the blue and purple Hanbok. Jin Ki smiled back showing his outfit. “How do I look?”

“Stunning.” Taemin said before turning crimson. He chuckled embarrassed but he didn’t feel ashamed at all, because he said the truth, Jin Ki looked stunning in the Hanbok. Jin Ki thanked Taemin, a soft blush in his cheeks before stepping out of the house. The trip took them approximately eight hours.

“Oh finally~!” Taemin sing sung in happiness as he noticed the amazing view in front of him. “You were right, the nature here is dazzling.”

“Glad you like it.” Jin Ki said with a smile. “It’s a small land I managed to buy with a quite expensive price but I think it worth it.” Taemin walked to the inside followed by Jin Ki while a man, farmer who managed the land in Jin Ki’s absence, took the bags to the interior. “Leave it in the door, James; I’ll take them to our rooms later.” Jin Ki said making Taemin look at him in surprise.

“Don’t you have servants in this cottage?” Taemin asked him surprised.

“No, I’m using this place to be alone so I don’t have servants, just a housekeeper who came every morning and I think she’s already here.” Jin Ki said taking the first two bags. “I’ll take them up so she can put them in the wardrobes.”

Taemin nodded. He wasn’t truly used to serve himself but he did it many times when his dad was punishing him by sending him to meditate in a temple. The monks were prohibited to serve him under the order of the King so he managed to learn some things to keep himself alive but still he didn’t get used to it. He took a bag and pulled it to the upstairs with a little struggle here and there but managed to. It was heavy since it contained all his clothes. He choose the empty room and knelt to put the clothes in the wardrobe the way they were folded. Jin Ki was surprised to see the prince working by himself and didn’t speak watching the prince making the clothes in a color order. Smiling at the younger cuteness, Jin Ki walked away and went to the kitchen preparing the breakfast. He was hungry so he made enough food for three people; two portions were, as planned, for himself. He settled the table in the room next to the Kitchen when the prince walked in. “Oh, you made it?” Taemin asked him curious.

“I had some lessons from a woman who taught me English as well.” Jin Ki said unaware of Taemin’s expression. Taemin was wondering whom the woman was, and what Jin Ki learned from her beside cooking and English. “Do something bother you, Taemin?”

“I’m fine. However, why do you call me Taemin and young prince?” Taemin asked Jin Ki, with a smile in his face.

“Well, to be honest, I think using your name often will make me forget who you are.”

“Well, to be honest, I want to forget it as well. So let me be Taemin for a while.” Taemin said with a sad tone. “I don’t have a lot of chances to be just Taemin.”

“Taemin… you are asking me something hard to do.” Jin Ki said when a sensation raised inside him; it was like a hot liquid reaching his lungs. “Because I may do something I shouldn’t do to a prince.”

“What is it?” Taemin said stepping closer to Jin Ki. “What is it, Jin Ki? Do it to me… show me.” Taemin was tempted by the not that sudden urge to feel the eldest touch; he got it since their last lunch, which made it feel normal for him to hug the man back. It was normal for him to feel the other’s heat, to listen to his heartbeat. He didn’t think twice of any possible consequence. “Show me…”

“Taemin.” Jin Ki had frozen while Taemin was stepping closer. The old man his lips. He couldn’t tell what he was feeling exactly. Suddenly, a noise woke them both and Jin Ki walked back to the kitchen while Taemin was trying to get a hold on himself, eyes widened in sudden. He was surprised of himself. But, what bad could it be to be close to someone like Jin Ki?

Jin Ki sat in front of Taemin with a smile that the young prince knew was forced. “Jin Ki… are you mad at me?” Taemin asked him all of sudden, in the middle of the breakfast. “Are you mad because I wished to know?”

“No… I don’t know.” the uncertain tone of Jin Ki’s voice made Taemin smile. At least, he wasn’t the only one uncertain. “Let eat and rest, we are both tired from the trip.” That was Jin Ki’s excuse. However, Taemin knew that the tiredness made him see clear through his feelings since he lost control on them. Inside him, he knew he felt this new sensation toward the eldest. It was doubtless, he longed for the other. However, he couldn’t point it out. He nodded and finished the breakfast before heading to his room and getting a small nap, ending by sleeping deeply. Jin Ki couldn’t sleep through; he was turning the questions in his head endlessly. What with his heart lately? Why does he feel those mingled feelings toward a complete stranger? He couldn’t understand it. He knew Luna for almost a year and, never in their romance, he felt like this. He never knew such uncontrolled squeezes inside his heart, he couldn’t even describe it. It was strong and logic from his brain. He closed his eyes to remember Taemin’s body. It was hard to forget it since it was even more beautiful than any woman’s body he ever touched or tasted.

In the lunchtime, he walked down to cook something from what he learned. It was simple but eatable and hopefully tasty. Settling the table, he walked to Taemin’s room to notice the boy sleeping, in a very cute position. Taemin had untied his hair and you can clearly mistake him for a girl. “Taemin.” Jin Ki called stepping closer. He called Taemin in every step until he reached the bed. Taemin opened his eyes when he felt Jin Ki’s weight moving the bed. Jin Ki was about to leave the bed and stand when Taemin held his hand. They looked at each other eyes for a long moment when Taemin let Jin Ki go and sat.

“Jin Ki ssi.” Taemin said suddenly. “I…”

“Lunch is ready.” Jin Ki said standing. “I’ll let you freshen yourself, first.”

Taemin nodded and left the bed as Jin Ki left the room. The eldest stood, while his hand still on the knob, and his breath hitching. He tried to get a hold on himself when Taemin opened the door. “Jin Ki?” Jin Ki shook his head and looked away, a concerned frown in his face. Taemin could see so and followed the eldest wishing to know what is going on. “Jin Ki ssi. Do you have any concerns?”

“I have.” Jin Ki honestly said. “I think I can’t… control myself any more around you so…”

“I don’t want you to.”

“It’s not about you, Taemin.” Jin Ki said with an angry frown, taking the first bite of the food harshly.

“But … I’m…” Taemin wished him to treat him in the way he wished to treat Jin Ki but maybe the eldest didn’t see it that way. Tears menaced his eyes while he ate. He didn’t taste the food as he felt bitterness surrounding his senses. He didn’t know he was sobbing until a hand dried a tear in his cheek making him look at Jin Ki.

“I’m sorry to confuse you, Taemin. It’s just… you are a man and I am as well.”

“What I feel for you didn’t ask us about our nature, Jin Ki ssi.” Taemin said tears still falling. “It didn’t ask me if I wanted it or not, I just feel it, I … I don’t know why I feel this way… but I knew from the moment I saw you that you were different for me.”

“I felt it since I saw you as well.” Jin Ki said looking away. “I’m just afraid that it would be physical and that we will both regret it.”

“I won’t.” Taemin said stubbornly.

“Taemin” Jin Ki exasperatedly sighed Taemin’s name. “I care for your wellbeing… so don’t let me ashamed of myself.”

“Why would you… is it because we are both male? Are you …” Taemin couldn’t say more and rushed to his room, a sob menacing his lungs. He fell in the bed and cried in the pillow, trying to hide his pain.

 Jin Ki stayed in the table eating absently, knowing that the prince was crying because of him. He cleaned the table and washed what he had to wash before heading to the boy’s room. When he got in, he was surprised to see Taemin sitting with an empty expression in his face. “Taemin?” His voice sounded more hesitant.

“I know what you feel… but I never felt like this before… can you take it in consideration? Can you let me taste it?”

“Taemin, you don’t know what you are saying…”

“I’m saying that I may have fallen in love with you, which mean I won’t feel the same for anyone else… isn’t it obvious? I’m doomed… I was always the doomed… they just knew and left me behind, in the shadow.” Taemin darkly said. “Like you are doing…”

“I’m not pushing you in the dark… I don’t want to give you false hope.”

“Yes, because you are a happy fiancé”

“No, I’m not that happy, Taemin. In fact, I thought I was until I met you.” Jin Ki’s words made Taemin look at him and he nodded at the question in Taemin’s eyes. “Yes, I think… I think I felt the same but because I’m not sure… I won’t risk letting you go back to Jo Seon with a false image of me.”

“Jin Ki. I’m not a kid. I’m twenty and I can clearly see what you have in heart. I’m sure you do see it as wrong and that being in love with a man shame you.”

Jin Ki was about to protest when he finally noticed that it didn’t sound wrong for him to be in love with Taemin. “I didn’t see it wrong.”

“It’s just words to beam my wounds… and I don’t need it.”

“No, Taemin…”

“I’ll go for a walk.” Taemin said walking past Jin Ki who froze there. The eldest followed him, thoughts rushed inside him. It was the most confusing moment of his life. He didn’t know what he felt, he didn’t know what he needed, he didn’t know what he should do, and specially he didn’t know what he could do to fix things.

In that moment, he just didn’t want to regret it later.

He grabbed Taemin’s hand and pulled him closer before they could reach the door. Taemin looked up to Jin Ki when this last kissed him. Their lips tasted heaven for both of them. None of them wished to part away, until they did, breathlessly. “What was that?” Taemin asked him dizzily.

“That was a kiss, my prince. Or like some call it, the “love bite”” Jin Ki said with a smile. His whole body felt better after the kiss and he knew how good things were actually… he was happy for real.

“A love bite.” Taemin whispered his lips and looking down to Jin Ki’s lips which leaned closer to another kiss but a shorter one.

“Taemin…” Jin Ki said, with an uneven breathing. “I think we should let this for later, and let me show you around for now.” Taemin nodded and followed Jin Ki everywhere, observing and exploring the entourage of the cottage.

“It’s really beautiful.” Jin Ki was about to comment at Taemin by saying that he was even more beautiful but it was a little awkward to say that to a man. However, Taemin blushed as soon as he noticed the eldest eyes on him. It wasn’t the first time Jin Ki could see the prince blushing, but in every time, it gave him butterflies. He could feel clearly that his heart was beating, as a reaction to Taemin’s did or said. It was strange, sometimes his heart will jump to his throat when Taemin yelps loudly if he slips or fasten when the boy laughs at something, or stop when their eyes lock in a long gaze. While walking back to the cottage, his body start shaking, unnoticeably of course, and his heartbeats were weird, neither fast nor slow, it was like if his heart was sending him a message. However, his brain wasn’t working in that moment. He went and made something to eat for them both when Taemin came and helped him. They ate in brighter mood than at lunch which surprised Jin Ki. For Taemin, he felt happy, and loved; as well, he felt his heart floating in the air. After the dinner, they washed the dishes, which turned into an interesting task for the prince, and they sat in front of the fire, chatting brightly while drinking an old wine.

Taemin felt tipsy in the second glass, while Jin Ki was still aware of his surroundings. “Jin Ki.” Taemin said suddenly. “Do you know why they sent me?”

“To make the queen withdraw…” Jin Ki said when Taemin cut him off.

“No, because I was a useless prince… I was a useless boy with a title.” Taemin said sadly. “And I think they are right.”

“Don’t say so, Taemin.” Jin Ki said leaning closer to Taemin and pulling him to a hug. “You aren’t useless.”

“But you don’t trust me… nobody does.” Taemin whined.

“Taemin…” Jin Ki knew where the boy was drifting the discussion. “You aren’t sober.”

“I’m aware of what I say, Jin Ki.” Taemin said looking straight at Jin Ki’s eyes. “I am aware that those new sensations we got may hurt us until the end but I want to take the risk.”

“Why?”

“I prefer to be in pain because I’m far from you than to regret not trying to get you in my life as someone I love and who love me back, even for a moment.” Jin Ki looked at the boy who looked away, putting his glass of wine away. Taemin stood and pulled Jin Ki to a room that he closed with keys.

“Taemin…” Jin Ki was scared to death. Never in his life, he felt that way.

“Make love to me.” the truth to be said, Jin Ki was tempted specially as Taemin was undressing himself. “Make me feel needed by someone… at least for tonight.”

“Taemin… it’s dangerous.”

“Jin Ki… Take it as an order… I’m your prince, and I want you to touch me.”

“If so, then execute me.” Jin Ki said with an angry tone. “I don’t want to be your little slave…” the eldest man soon regretted his words when Taemin looked at him shocked then lowered his head before opening the door. “ Taemin…”

“You are free to go, Jin Ki. And prepare the car…”

“Taemin…” Jin Ki said rushing to hold the topless man. “It’s not what I meant.” Taemin refused to look at him when Jin Ki suddenly pinned him to a wall. “Taemin, don’t turn me insane. I didn’t mean it. I want to touch you, to taste you but not while forcing myself.”

“I… I see.” Taemin said pulling his hands to his shoulder and trying to hide his . Jin Ki pulled him to a hug noticing so and the sensation of the other’s skin made him regret his gesture because his desire went to a dangerous level.

“I want you so bad.” Jin Ki huskily said. “But I’m scared to death, Taemin. Not only for myself but for you as well. What if you… change after this and people notice something… what if they hate you more because of it…”

“Jin Ki, you may not believe me but nobody cares about me.” Taemin said his hands on Jin Ki’s back. “You may be the first one who has feelings for me. The only one. I’m unknown for my people, and invisible for my own parents and undesired by my own brothers. I don’t think there is any worse than this.”

“Taemin… I’m still scared.”

“Trust me. I need it… as a person with feelings, soul, and heart. I truly need you.”

“What if you discover that all what you felt was unreal.”

“I’ll be happy still because I know yours are real toward me.”

“Taemin, don’t make it hard for me, I beg you.”

“Jin Ki… don’t hold yourself back. My feelings are real, I can feel my heart calling your name, and I can feel my body starving for your touch. I may be a prince but I’m a human, Jin Ki please… don’t hurt me like this” Jin Ki sighed looking at the man who raised his head to look at him and he kissed Taemin deeply. The feelings he got when his finger brushed the soft skin of Taemin made him shiver. It felt good, amazingly good. He pushed Taemin to the bed and took off his outfit while Taemin throw the last clothe he was wearing and slipped inside the bed sheets. Jin Ki soon followed him and under the light of the candles, Taemin looked more like a fairy in Jin Ki’s eyes. Jin Ki’s lips marked Taemin’s skin, moving down, and making the prince moan in sudden spasm of pleasure. Jin Ki didn’t know how to do things so he took it slowly, instinctively aiming the prince intimacy. Taemin gasped air when he felt fingers on his extremely sensitive skin. He felt his body arcing more and more, deep warmth surrounding him as he slid his fingers in the eldest untied hair. His uneven breathing welcomed another breathtaking kiss by Jin Ki. While so, he felt an unknown yet warm thing sliding slowly. So slow that it hurt them both. “God… Taemin, I can’t…” Jin Ki complained huskily while Taemin held his face with his both hands. “Look at me.” Taemin asked breathlessly when Jin Ki opened his eyes and looked at him. “I trust you.”

Jin Ki froze for a moment. He tried to think of something and suddenly left the bed surprising the boy who pulled the sheet and hided his . Jin Ki went to a room and came back with a bottle. He didn’t ask what it is because even if Taemin asked the eldest to make love to him he wouldn’t ask him about details, he just trusted the eldest. Jin Ki got in the bed with a smile. “I think I have an idea for you, my prince.” It was the second time that Jin Ki said it, and the first time that Taemin understood that it wasn’t referring to his title… Suddenly he felt a smaller intrusion and yelped holding Jin Ki’s shoulder, while his other hand was holding on the man’s hair. “Jin Ki…” the boy moaned while Jin Ki was trying to prepare the boy by introducing some oil into his mechanism along with fingers. After a while, he couldn’t hold on and put some in his own manhood before sliding it inside Taemin little by little, easier that before and with less pain that what he was about to give the boy. Taemin was adjusting himself, breathing heavily, and bearing the pain, as he knew how much effort the man was putting for him. When Jin Ki eyes met his, he smiled warmly before pulling the man to another kiss. It was sudden when he felt an electrifying sensation and moaned loudly as Jin Ki felt himself hitting something different from Taemin’s walls. “Did I hurt you?” Jin Ki fearful tone made Taemin shake his head.

“Can you repeat that please…” Taemin asked the eldest while blushing madly but soon he forgot about it when he felt Jin Ki hitting his “sweet” spot with might. He couldn’t hold on himself and screamed in pleasure, his toes crawling, and his body sweating hard. He loved it even more when Jin Ki lost control and the movement inside him speeded up. He felt hot liquids slipping in his stomach and he knew it came from him as Jin Ki’s released himself inside Taemin making the boy whimper in pleasure of the sudden warmth. They were both breathless when they parted away. “We need to get a shower.” Jin Ki commented when Taemin leaned to him and slept on his shoulder. “I’m too tired.” Taemin commented. Jin Ki smiled caressing the boy’s bare shoulders. It was in that way that they slept.

The housekeeper’s gasp wake Jin Ki’s up and he noticed that Taemin, with his untied hair looked like a girl and sighed in relieve that the boy’s face was covered by it while the sheet had reached up Jin Ki’s neck. He left the bed and rushed to the housekeeper before she could even reach the front door. “Do not say a word of what you saw or you may find yourself killed.” Jin Ki threatened the woman who nodded closing her eyes. “Go and clean the kitchen.” Jin Ki ordered as he went to the bedroom. He smiled at the sight of the boy sleeping still so he closed the door, filled the tube with water, and took Taemin’s body, when the boy woke up. “Jin Ki…”

“Are you hurt?” Jin Ki concerned said when Taemin shook his head and freed himself from Jin Ki’s embrace and forced himself to walk steadily. Jin Ki smiled at the boy’s stubbornness to show him that he was fine. Taemin slide in the warm water while Jin Ki went to wear something decent and took the bed sheets stained with their love marks before letting the woman get in. He noticed the blushing expression of the woman when she passed by the door and noticed the boy. Indeed Taemin’s head was facing the door and with his hair untied, he looked more like a girl, as it was hard to see the boy’s chest or the rest of his body.

Jin Ki choose to dispense the woman during Taemin’s presence in the domain and told her so. He gave her money for her silence and the time she will spent it without work. She smiled to him as she left and while that Taemin walked down. “What happened to the housekeeper?”

“She came this morning and saw us.” Jin Ki said seriously and Taemin went pale. “It doesn’t seem to be easy… but I think she mistook you for a girl.”

“Glad to look like a girl then.” Taemin said kissing Jin Ki in his lips. “Good morning my love.”

“Good morning, my prince.” Jin Ki said, giggling and shaking his head at Taemin’s words. “Do you feel better?”

“Yes, I do.” Taemin said jumping around Jin Ki. He did feel some pain in his back but he didn’t want him to know because as he planned, they made love almost as many times as the boy wished. He found himself starving for that new feeling he tasted with Jin Ki and the eldest didn’t seem to mind. They had their little walk of course, Taemin was aware that his needs make him look odd so he chose to act normal. He was normal, in his eyes but in Jin Ki’s eyes, he could be something new. The boy seems to shine even more, especially after dinner, as they walked in the full moon, fingers mingled, chatting warmly, and savoring this moment of calm.

The days in the cottage was the best moment in Taemin’s mind but he knew they had to come back to London and with his return, he knew that his departure was soon as well. Back to London, Taemin saw his fears turning into reality, his dad had sent a letter prizing him for “Convincing the queen” and asking him to return immediately for a celebration. “Came with me.” Taemin asked Jin Ki that night when the Ambassador shook his head.

“Taemin, you don’t understand… we can’t go further than this.”

“I know… I just… I don’t want to lose you…”

“Taemin…”Jin Ki felt his voice hitch in pain. “ We saw this coming. Didn’t you say that we will feel pain until the end…?”

“I don’t… I don’t want to feel pain now…” Taemin’s tears fell when Jin Ki’s hands dried them. “I’m not ready… I’m not ready, Jin Ki…”

“I know, my prince. I can see it clearly in your eyes.” Jin Ki said pulling Taemin to sob in his embrace while his own tears fell down. He knew it was impossible for them to think of more, to dream for more, to ask for more… it was a hopeless love… an impossible one. That moment, Jin Ki knew what to do as he pulled the boy to his room. He locked the door, leaving the key in the lock, and pulling the boy into a heated night. He didn’t care if they heard him or not, he didn’t care if they will think badly of him or of the prince, he didn’t care more than to feel Taemin for the last time, to love him for the last time. However, his tears joined them that time, that single time… “I love you, my prince.” Jin Ki whispered in Taemin’s ear. “I love you too...” Taemin’s voice faded as he slept in Jin Ki’s embrace like the hopes faded with Taemin’s departure to Jo Seon. When the car came to take Taemin, the boy was looking at the Ambassador with pleading red sad eyes, breaking with his sight the heart of the servants who noticed the heartbreaking situation in the house. “Good bye, your royal highness.” Jin Ki said bowing to Taemin who bowed his head, in the same way he did the first time but with a difference that broke the emotionless face he made: a farewell tear fell in the prince cheek while he got in the car and ordered them to move.

The Ambassador’s body started shaking badly and some servants rushed to help him but he refused, as he stood up and looked with empty eyes to the door. “Good bye, my love.” The whisper left the Ambassador’s lips as he closed door, closing with it his heart from the exterior world. This is the story of two people who loved each other hopelessly… a story that repeated itself through the ages, helplessly.