01

Pursuit

This had been going on for a while now. Ever since Krystal Jung set eyes on Kim Jong-in, or what he called himself, Kai, her world had been turned upside-down. The peaceful life she had been leading in her school was shattered; she'd see Kai and he would try to sweet-talk her every time he saw her. She had always rolled her eyes and walked away from him but it didn't deterioriate the times he attempted to win her heart. 

After all, Kai was the most renowned boy in school for charming all the girls. The effort that he took to "conquer" them didn't take much; confessions from girls were part of his daily routine and he even had his own fanclub. There was only one girl that failed to respond to any of his flirtations and that was Krystal. If Krystal wasn't so dense, she might have fell for his tricks but she had always thought he was trying to make fun of her.

Honestly, their reluctant acquaintance-rival friendship had started with a school project they were forced to do together. Eventually, it was apparent they didn't work well together. Kai would slack off and abandon his plans to work on the project while Krystal ended up doing most of his part just to salvage her own grade. Even though Krystal was rather dense, she knew how to hold her grudges and Kai wasn't an exception. 

Their hatred of each other started with Krystal disliking Kai for his laidback manner and how he seemed to try to charm every girl which didn't appeal to Krystal, not to mention his big, inflated ego due to all the girls surrounding him. For Kai, he extremely disliked the girl because she was just too stubborn for her own good. Her mind was so thick she didn't even comprehend the signals he sent her, so soon she became the only girl he failed to conquer. This was a large blow to his status around the school so he knew if he put a little more effort than usual, Krystal's heart would open to him eventually. He was sure of it. 

Eventually, Krystal caught up to what Kai was planning for her to do. She couldn't help but fume and her fist was curled tightly every time she thought of it. If Kai was going to play with her, she would have her revenge and teach the player a lesson. 

She turned around when Kai casually commented, "Hey, there's the carnival that's going on this week."

Krystal nodded. The carnival this weekend was what her best friend Suzy had been talking about for weeks and how she was planning to go with Minhyuk. She supported their growing relationship and their obvious love for each other was cheesy Krystal had to look away. 

"Yeah, what about it?" she asked, hoping he wouldn't say what she thought he was going to say.

"Go with me. I'll see you outside, 5 pm sharp. Be there." Then Kai winked and walked away.

Krystal scowled. How dare he treated her like an object? But she knew she would show up anyway, but for a different reason than what he thought she would show up for.