Chapter 2

High school diary

In class, one table would be shared by 2 students. When we were younger, mostly when we still were in primary school, this sharing was the cause of many fights between tablemates. We always drew an imaginary line on table and the other wasn’t allowed to cross that line, if one crossed, we would end up hitting each other.

I was caught in one fight like that too, it was in Grade 2, me and the girl sat next to me bickered a bit and both were angry, but we were still in class so neither of us could really start a real fight like yelling or pulling the other’s hair, instead, we silently used our feet to step on the other’s to see who can endure longer without showing any sign of pain. It was fierce, I was fierce back then.

Back to our new school year, of course I shared a table with Jinri in the front. Our class was divided into 2 groups, the nerds and the students who seem will be liked by teachers sat in the half front of classroom while the cool and rebelled ones sat in the half back.

Actually, no one said anything, we all just got in class and automatically divided that way.

There were 2 students that caught my eyes immediately on that first day. One was the most beautiful girl in our class, she had big round eyes, straight nose, cute lips. Even though she didn’t have fair skin, she’s still very gorgeous and seemed like a sporty type. Apparently, Jinri knew her since they went to the same middle school, her name was Jung Eunji and indeed, she could play basketball pretty well.

The other one was a boy, probably one of the most handsome boys in my class. He was tall with tan skin and a cool aura. I didn’t know his name and didn’t ask Jinri either. I didn’t want her to think I was attracted by him, although maybe I really was, even just a little.

We got through the first day with nothing special happened, since we were all new and unfamiliar with how high school worked, all teachers used their first classes to explain how and what we would study. What the tests were like and our ranking system.

You have no idea how annoyed I was with the back students, when teachers were explaining in the front, they were talking and giggling. During breaks, they ran around, showed off their phones and exchanged numbers. I didn’t have a phone, neither did Jinri and a lot of other students. Our school forbid us to bring and use phones, I don’t know why though. However, even if they allowed us, my parents wouldn’t let me have one. There were 2 reasons: 1) They didn’t want me to get distracted by phone and games and other stuffs I could do with it; 2) We couldn’t afford one. In my family, only my father had one, he bought it when I was in 2nd year of high school and it was an old phone sold at cheap price.

That means the “cool” students I mentioned were all rich kids. Not the normal rich, they were extremely rich because they all used the most expensive models at that time. I was not jealous with them, the only thing I cared was how to get at least in top 5 of class.

“Do you bring lunch?”

Jinri cut my thought with her question and I had to diverted my attention from the rich kids to her.

“No, I got up late and couldn’t make any.”

“Great! Cause I don’t bring any either, we should go to the cafeteria and have some.”

With that, she dragged me out of our seats and headed to the front door. However, all of our classmates were trying to get out as soon as possible like us, we ended up getting stuck right there. I was standing right after a tall boy, squeezing in a small gap. Suddenly, that boy lost his balance because someone stepped on his feet, causing him to fall back and his head knocked right at mine.

“Ouch!”

We both whimpered.

“I’m sorry, are you okay?”

Still holding my head, I looked up and almost forgot to breathe when his face, the face of that handsome boy I laid my eyes on appeared in front of me.

“N… uhm… no… no!”

I shuttered, mentally slapped myself for being so nervous out of sudden.

“Okay then. I’m really sorry for hurting you again.”

With that, he just smiled and turned to leave the room.

As soon as I got out, I saw Jinri waiting for me, somehow during the pushing, Jinri was pushed out of the door before me.

“I saw you talking with Howon!”

“Who is Howon?”

“That tall handsome guy. He’s pretty famous!”

“Famous for what?”

I tried not to appear too excited when Jinri gave me some information about him.

“Everything, he’s excellent in study, he’s good at sports too. A lot of girls want him….”

“Me too”

I spoke in my head.

“But he already had a girlfriend, you wouldn’t believe but that girl was nothing special, not pretty, not rich, like she’s nothing compared to him. I feel bad for saying so but it’s the fact…”

I didn’t know some random info, random words can cause a pain in my heart until that moment.

I didn't know why either, why I felt a bit of jealousy even though we just met. Maybe because I finally had love of first sight for the first time in my life, and it was one sided.