The Broken Record

2024[Currently Discontinued]

Life in Oceania equated that of a broken record. Whether it was the daily exercise or their daily work, the lower class lived a life of a strict repetition under the watchful eyes of the party. Anyone who said or did anything out of the normal would become the victims of the thought police whether caught by 'Big Brother' or any coworkers potential fatal snitching. However to the majority of the proles or lower class, they lived a life of ignorance or went about such dealings as their own personal sacrifice for Big Brother. The life of the proles were one Leo questioned often, yet until recently, the mesmerizing and demanding propaganda had always convinced him that Big Brother's way was his way.

With a loud blare from Leo's telescreen, there was no way for the male to even attempt to fall back into the deep sleep he desired. A grunt left his lips before he managed struggling out of the bed to change into his work out clothing for his morning exercise. This was the event he despised the most. Why must he work out every day?   With the everyday exercises being nothing different, it was a routine that he was more than accustomed to, but the mere fact that he had no ability to exempt out of the exercise filled him with a hidden rage of which he could never display. The thirty minute exercise, as always, went along smoothly to avoid grabbing the attention or disapproval from the female calling out unnecessary motions to do.

Finishing his morning with a quick and unsatisfying shower, Leo headed straight to work once again with an empty stomach due to the lack of food he was able to obtain lately. The future for the proles seemed bleak, or bleak to those who could  cross the gap between the lies the party told and the realism of Oceania. Impassive, Leo's expression matched the citizens around him, yet anyone who would look close enough would see a spark in his eyes waiting to combust. He was bitter and annoyed at the fact he was forced to live a life of which he had no control. However, the worst part of his issues was he had no one to tell of his feelings for the mere fear for what would await him if the police heard of his rebellious inner thoughts. Rebellions had started appearing upon various regions of Oceania, yet all were distinguished with public executions after both citizens and the police made sure of putting them down.

Ignoring the whispers of his colleagues quiet ramblings on the rebellions in nearby towns, Leo went to his desk where he would perform the task he did everyday. With his department focusing on fixing telescreens, Leo knew inside and outside the device that worked to make his life hell. Years of the same job had made him a master in not only distinguishing the problem, but knowing just what needed to be done to fix it. He knew the number of twists the screws needed to be in perfectly. He could look at the screen and tell almost instantly how the problem more than likely occurred. He knew the telescreens more than he knew his family or himself. His job was mind numbing just as every other proles.

Throughout the day, his painstakingly dull task only were interrupted with a segregated lunch of which consisted of foods that he doubt could ever give flavor no matter the amount of seasoning he threw on it.  What his life lacked was excitement, and as he stared dully at the man before him that was going on affectionately about Big Brother, he knew not of what he was going to do for the rest of his life stuck in such an existence like this. Leo's mild chatter only were to cement into the minds of his coworkers of his loyalty to some potential nonexistent ruler who would have him killed or severally punished for not his "abnormal" thoughts. However, this lunch was just the spilt of his work day, and after he finished eating and listening to a telescreen read off fibs about the wonders of Big Brother, he went back to trying to find some excitement in fixing broken telescreens.  

Today for Leo, he made his work day just a bit longer. The excuse of needing to fix one more telescreen came out in hopes to miss the execution of another group of citizens who were out to arise rebellious notions into the people against Big Brother. Sighs of disappointment made sure to leave his lips to his boss, and with everyone believing his excuse and even praising him for it, his work took just long enough for the death and clean up to occur. Although the moment he stepped outside, the stench of death filled his senses. The blood thirst was evident in the eyes of those around him who still lingered around praising Big Brother for disposing of such traitors to him and the nation.

Leo made his way home. He didn't stop to get anything at the store, or grab any rations to make himself a dinner. Instead, he went straight home instantly to bathe in the hottest shower he could have. Disgust, hatred, fear all were instilled within the male, and he soaked in the hot water in hopes that just as the water cleansed his body that it would cleanse his mind. He would give anything to be like the mindless masses who seem to have such a good life compared to him. Just like his more recent nights, Leo went to bed early for he knew that sleep was not something that was going to come to him anytime soon. He had hours of which his mind actually had time to pick apart the tragedy of what Oceania was for him and his fellow proles before he would fall asleep just to go through a repeat of the previous day.