Unraveling the Story

Mission: Kill The Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hyung Sik heaved out a deep sigh as he looked down at the four cups of Americano pushed to him by the excessively perky barista. He wasn’t really in the mood to be bright, and after a curt nod to the girl, he picked them up and headed for the station which was a three-block walk away. Ever since their team was officially stripped of The Mute’s case, he was relegated to the menial tasks again, and one of them was the afternoon coffee run. He let out an involuntary grunt when the police station came into view, and wondered how long he was going to hold a grudge against the forces that took the first ever case he’s truly cared about away from him. He was getting used to having some worth around the station, and for a while there, he actually thought he’d finally be an asset rather than ‘that nice kid who doesn’t talk much but can fix the computer for you’.

There were lesser and lesser reporters lurking around the station now, and Hyung Sik was glad that at least, he can come in without having a recorder shoved in his face every time he reported for duty.

Before he could enter the building, he was jerked to the side by a hand that had come from nowhere. His eyes widened, but his first instinct was to protect the coffee cups so they wouldn’t spill. God forbid he has to walk to the coffee shop again.

He was hauled a few more steps away, and it took him a few seconds before looking up to see who the hell it was. But instead of a random stranger, he was met by a friendly face – although judging by his anxious expression, he didn’t look too friendly today. “Siwan hyung?” Hyung Sik raised his brows at the unexpected guest. “What are you doing here?”

Siwan scanned his surroundings and looked over Hyung Sik’s shoulder, causing the younger guy to do the same. He wondered why Siwan was acting a bit strange, and why he was even there in the first place.

“Hyung Sik-ah,” Siwan put a hand on his shoulder. “I don’t have a lot of time, I just left work for a bit to talk to you.”

Hyung Sik frowned and studied his friend. Siwan works as an intelligence hacker at NIS, but he actually knew him since they were in high school in Jeju. He was the one who had taught Hyung Sik everything he knew about hacking, and while Hyung Sik considered a career path as a hacker once, he believed he fit in more with law enforcement. Siwan, on the other hand, only broadened his skills and eventually became one of the best in the country, prompting the national intelligence service to recruit him immediately after high school.

“It’s about the favor you asked me,” Siwan told him.

Hyung Sik immediately nodded. “Ahh yeah. I was going to call you about that.” He had called in the favor last night, but he wasn’t actually expecting Siwan to do it for him. Since technically, he was asking him to do something illegal. The NIS is all about secrets, and even within the agency, there were certain lines that shouldn’t be crossed. “Did you find out anything?”

Siwan pursed his lips. “Are you sure about what you told me? The NIS is taking over a case from your team?”

“Yes,” Hyung Sik replied right away and a little harshly.

“That’s odd,” Siwan pushed the glasses up his nose bridge. “No NIS team is working on The Mute.”

A few seconds of silence passed as Hyung Sik tried to digest what his friend just told him. “Are you sure, hyung?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I checked the files on The Mute and who accessed them, but none of the agents have – except for that time when your agency asked for the documents we had on him. That was the last time anybody bothered with The Mute.”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” Hyung Sik responded, more baffled by the minute. He knew that Siwan was one thorough guy and he’d be the type to double check things just to be sure. “Detective Kim specifically told me that the NIS Director called Chief Kang to hand over our files on The Mute since the NIS was taking over. Is it possible this is a highly-confidential case that you didn’t catch a whiff of it?”

“Not possible,” Siwan replied. “I even checked the activities of our black ops teams. None of them are working on the case.”

Hyung Sik pursed his lips in confusion. “What the hell is going on here?”

“I don’t know, but you should probably talk to Detective Kim. I don’t think the NIS is involved at all,” he explained and scanned the surroundings again. “Which means that there are more secrets to be dug up in your own agency. But be careful, okay?” The older guy looked at his watch. “Hey, I gotta go. I didn’t want to tell you this over the phone since you know, there are bugs and cameras everywhere at work.” He grabbed one of the coffee cups. “Thanks for the coffee!” He waved as he half-walked, half-ran to his car.

Hyung Sik would have made a fuss over his hyung stealing one of his precious cups, but he was left rooted at that spot with a hundred things on his mind. He trusted Siwan, and he was absolutely sure he was telling the truth. He also knew that if there was anyone who could hack the NIS itself, it was Siwan, so if his friend said he found nothing, then he believed him.

Fumbling for his phone in his pocket, he came inside the station and started giving the coffee to the people who wanted them, and apologized to that one cop who didn’t get his coffee. He didn’t stick around to hear the man’s complaint and made his way inside one of the private conference rooms. In moments like this, he would have wanted Detective Kim to be around. But he hasn’t reported for work today.

He dialed his number and waited. After a few rings, the man finally picked up.

“Eo, Hyung Sik-ah,” Detective Kim’s voice filled his ear.

“Sir, are you still in Samcheok?” Hyung Sik asked, lowering his voice so he wouldn’t be heard by anyone outside.

“Yes. I just finished interviewing the second witness. I was told I could get a hold of some tapes…”

“Sir, there’s something you should know,” Hyung Sik interrupted him.

There was a pause on the other side of the line. “What is it?”

Hyung Sik told him everything Siwan had relayed earlier. Detective Kim didn’t say anything and just let him finish. When he was done, there was another long silence – prompting him to look at the screen to see if his boss hung up. But he was still on the line, so he pressed the phone against his ear again.

“I need you to do something,” Kim Soo Hyun told him. “You told me you were a hacker once.”

Hyung Sik knew that tone. Detective Kim used it when he asked him the first time if he could ask Siwan for information. Which meant that whatever he was about to tell him next was undoubtedly going to be illegal. “Y-yes, Sir.”

“How good are you?”

He bit his lip and weighed his own skills. “I was good for my age back when I was still active with my crew, but I haven’t hacked anything since I joined the police academy. I’m afraid I might be rusty.”

“Do you think you can hack into The Chief’s emails?”

“SIR?” Hyung Sik’s eyes widened.

“And his phone. I’m sure you know how to hack his phone, too.”

Hyung Sik swallowed hard. “Sir, I don’t think this is a good idea. He’s our boss and—“

“I know I’m asking you too much, but I’m sure you’re thinking what I’m thinking, right? Something is definitely not right here. The Chief was the one who told me the NIS wants this case, but your friend insists the NIS doesn’t. One of them is lying, but there’s only one we can verify right now.”

The younger man closed his eyes, agreeing with everything Detective Kim was saying. But still. Hacking the Chief of the Seoul Police? If he got caught, then his whole career is over. Was it really worth it?

“Don’t you want to solve this case?” Came Soo Hyun’s question, as if he could read Hyung Sik’s mind.

“I do.”

“Me, too. That’s why we have to get to the bottom of this, Hyung Sik-ah. Don’t trust anyone for now. Don’t tell any of the other team members about this. Try and get whatever you can on the Chief. If you feel guilty, think about it as if you’re trying to prove he’s innocent, rather than prove he’s guilty.”

Hyung Sik considered Soo Hyun’s words and exhaled. “Okay.”

“Alright. Call me when you find something.”

Hyung Sik hung up and pinched the bridge of his nose, his mind filled with several things. In his first year at the police academy, he was taught that ‘instinct’ was the best weapon a cop could have. And right now, he had a really bad feeling about all of this. If Detective Kim felt it, he definitely felt it, too.

He came out of the room and went straight to his desk. He looked over his shoulder and scanned the station, as if to check if anybody was looking at him. When no one seemed suspicious, he turned to his computer screen and took a deep breath. Hacking the Chief’s email was easy because all computers at the station were connected. But right now, he wasn’t afraid of getting caught as much as he was afraid of what he was about to find out.

 

 

“Oh my God,” Shi Yoon fanned himself nervously. “That was insane.”

Min Ho clambered down the stairs and looked down at Shi Yoon who was squatting down on the floor. “I thought you said only you and Shin Hye know about the Cabin?”

“How should I know how that lunatic found us?!” Shi Yoon looked up at him with wide eyes. He ran a hand through his messy hair before covering his mouth with a palm. “. I think I’m going to die today. She’s going to kill me in my sleep, I just know it.”

Min Ho ignored Shi Yoon’s fit and looked up the stairs. He didn’t know anything about this Chae Won, but if she was an assassin and was anywhere near as good as Shin Hye, then she was dangerous. Frowning, he turned to Shi Yoon. “Is Shin Hye safe with her?”

“No one is safe with her!” Shi Yoon stood up painstakingly and put a hand on Min Ho’s shoulder to steady himself. “One Shin Hye is more than enough, now we have two of her in the house. And the other one is twice as violent!”

“I’m serious,” Min Ho looked at him sternly. “Maybe we shouldn’t leave Shin Hye with her.”

Shi Yoon sighed. “I don’t trust her either, but I trust Shin Hye. She gave the okay, so I guess we’re stuck with that woman for now. She stayed with Chae Won for three days and nothing happened to her, so let’s just take that’s a good sign.”

Min Ho nodded, feeling a little more reassured. But a part of him was still reeling from the scene earlier. When he saw Chae Won by the doorway, he completely froze. The next thing he knew, Shin Hye was already behind her, pointing a gun to her back. Min Ho didn’t know Shin Hye could move that fast – and even though that moment was nerve-racking, he had to admit, Shin Hye was pretty cool.

Out of nowhere, Shi Yoon threw his hands in the air, startling Min Ho.

“Besides, what can we do, really? Only Shin Hye can handle Chae Won. I mean, look at us, we’re sweating,” Shi Yoon pointed to Min Ho’s damp forehead while he dabbed the back of his palm on his. From what Min Ho could tell, the hacker was getting really agitated. Min Ho knew he shouldn’t be amused at his misery, but it was kind of funny seeing Shi Yoon all worked up.

“Now do you see why I didn’t call that madwoman back? This is about as emasculating as it could get! I can’t believe I was wearing that ing pink apron, UGH!” Shi Yoon yanked his bangs over his eyes, growling. “I ing hate women!”

 Min Ho flashed him the smile he’s been suppressing. He’s seen his fair share of Shi Yoon hysterics, but this one takes the cake. “Can’t live with them, can’t live without them, eh?”

Shi Yoon shook his head. “I’m perfectly capable of living without them, thank you very much.”

“Oh really?” Min Ho challenged, raising a brow. “So you’re okay with me maybe trying something with Chae Won a little?”

“Meo?”

 “She told me I was hot,” he smirked. When Shi Yoon just gaped at him vacantly, Min Ho playfully put an arm around his neck. “Dude. We’ve been cooped up in here for weeks. I haven’t gotten any action, and neither have you. And since you’ve made it pretty clear you don’t want anything to do with that lunatic, mind if I swoop in? Just for fun.”

Shi Yoon’s jaw dropped as he nudged Min Ho’s arm down. Alarm was written all over his face, and it took a lot of effort on Min Ho’s part to keep a straight face. “What about Shin Hye?!”

He shrugged, his lips twitching up. He shouldn’t be enjoying this, but he really was. “What about her?”

Min Ho yelped in pain when Shi Yoon punched him in the arm. It wasn’t strong enough to cause real damage, but because Min Ho’s muscles have been hurting from the earlier workout, it actually hurt.

“Oww! What was that for?”

“You have a problem,” Shi Yoon replied scathingly, pointing at Min Ho. The hacker scowled and turned away, heading to the kitchen.

Min Ho suppressed a smile and called out to him. “What?! I’m a guy. It’s normal! Unless you still like her, in which case, I’ll back off!”

Shi Yoon pretended not to hear and kept walking, until he disappeared into the dining area. Min Ho shook his head and laughed. “I’ve never met more complex people in my life,” he mumbled to himself.

He looked up the staircase again and considered heading to the war room, just to see if Shin Hye was alright. But he wasn’t really sure what the two were doing in there, and the last thing he wanted was to interrupt them when they could be discussing something important. Besides, he still wanted Shin Hye to know that he didn’t appreciate how she handled whatever went down between the two of them from earlier. Hence, the cold shoulder.

He knew he shouldn’t be pushy with someone as closed off as Shin Hye, but it was getting ridiculous how much she kept pushing him away, then pulling him back in. The fact that she went as far as getting him to go with Shi Yoon to the market – even when he was supposed to be in hiding – just made it clear that she’d go to any lengths just to avoid him.

She was either an expert at relationships or completely unaware of anything that had to do with human intimacy. Either way, she was driving him mad. If Shin Hye wanted him, then she needed to say it with her own mouth. With everything hazy that’s been going on in his life, he at least wanted to be sure about one thing. Or more like one person. And that person was playing hard-to-get.

 

 

It took all ten seconds of an intense stare down before Chae Won cocked the gun upwards and pulled her head back for a laugh. Shin Hye rolled her eyeballs, not the least bit amused. “You didn’t fall for it,” Chae Won said matter-of-factly, her lips twitched up in an amused smirk.

“You and I both know that gun isn’t even loaded,” Shin Hye said as she pushed the door close.

Chae Won swung her legs off the table, landing on her feet. The girl really had a knack for doing everything exaggeratedly, which was the complete opposite of Shin Hye. “Still. I thought I should let you get a taste of your own medicine. Using my gun to threaten me? That was really low, by the way,” Chae Won walked to the nearest laptop and leaned down. She was about to turn it on when she stopped her finger halfway and turned to look at Shin Hye. “Is this yours? I don’t want to touch anything owned by the geek.”

“Yeah,” Shin Hye replied as she walked over to where Chae Won stood. Chae Won can be a bit of a pain, but she was professional. The flash drive was with her so she took the initiative to plug it in, and left Chae Won to do the rest.

Chae Won spent around half an hour explaining how she found where The Mute hid, and Shin Hye listened carefully, impressed at her work. “Do you see this forest?” Chae Won pointed to a map.  “This is where that bastard is hiding. For the past three years. He lives in a small hut half a kilometer from the nearest road. The former black ops spy turned into a hermit. I say we just get to him as fast as we can.”

Shin Hye nodded. “Get ready to leave after lunch. I’ll prepare everything we need and brief Shi Yoon.”

Chae Won took a quick glance at her watch and resumed to navigate the folders in the laptop. “Do we really have to bring him? We’re infiltrating a hut. I doubt there would be technological stumbling blocks there we’ll need that nerd for. ”

Shin Hye heaved a sigh. After Shi Yoon’s rant last night about how he was her partner, if she left him here and went with Chae Won instead, she’ll never hear the end of it. “How about a getaway driver?”

Chae Won tilted her head, thinking about it. “I suppose he could be of some use,” she conceded, without looking up from the laptop screen. “Is pretty boy coming, too?”

Shin Hye went rigid at the question. Chae Won sensed it and smiled faintly. “Hey, I only asked because I don’t know the nature of your relationship. For all I know, he’s your hostage, so it doesn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter