Chapter 1

Journals

I’m sitting in History listening to the professor’s voice drone on and on about World War One. I sit back in my seat and try to pay attention to what he’s saying except my eyes continue to close every now and then. I finally put my pen down, giving up on taking notes. I heave a sigh as I close my eyes and drift off to dream world.

“Nana.” I hear someone call my name. I frown and slowly open my eyes. I look to my right to see Uee. “Lectures over Nana,” she informs me.

I look around to see an empty lecture hall. I guess I fell asleep through the rest of the class. I pack my belongings into my bag and sling it over my shoulder as I stand up from my seat.

“Let’s go,” I say.

“You need to stop falling asleep in your classes,” Uee says as we walk to the main building.

I roll my eyes and smile at her. “Like that’s ever gonna happen.”

“It can happen if you stop partying so much and actually sleep.” Uee adjusts her eyeglasses and looks at me sternly.

“Hey, c’mon, have little fun Uee. You’re always so serious,” I laugh as I bump my shoulder to hers.

“That’s because unlike you, I want to graduate,” Uee snaps.

“What makes you think I don’t want to graduate?” I ask.

She gives me a ‘are you ing kidding me?’ look and rolls her eyes.

“Let’s just get some food,” she mutters.

We arrive to the main building and head inside. Uee and I go separate ways. I walk to the café.

“Hello,” the man working behind the counter greets me.

“Mm, can I have a latte and a…doughnut,” I order.

He punches in my order to the cash register and looks up. “Is that all?”

I nod.

“It’ll be ready soon,” he says.

I sit down at a table for two. I begin to play around with my phone for a bit.

“Latte and doughnut,” a woman calls.

I stand up and head over to the counter. The lady hands me the items.

“Have a nice day,” she says.

“Thanks, you too.”

I walk out of the café and head for the main seating area of the building. I see Uee seated at a table with a tray of food in front of her. I make my way toward her and sit down.

“A doughnut?”

“What?” I smile as I take a bite out of my doughnut. “Mmmmm, it’s so good,” I moan.

Uee takes a stab at her salad and puts the fork in .

“What’s up your ?” I ask.

Uee groans. “I’m swamped with homework. I have no idea where to begin.”

“Just start from the easiest thing,” I suggest.

“Easy for you to say. You never do your homework.”

“I do it,” I say defensively.

Uee’s about to reply but her phone goes off. She answers her call.

“Hey…I’m at the main building with Nana eating…what’re you doing…Oh…Yeah…I’ll come over after I eat…Okay…See you soon,” she hangs up.

“Who was it?” I ask.

“Jooyeon,” she replies.

“Are you going there right now?”

She nods and gets up.

“I’ll see you later Nana,” she says.

“Bye, have fun,” I say.

I take a few sips of my latte. I take out a small blue velvet journal and a pen out of my bag. I open it and start writing.

Dear Diary,

I hate it when people assume I’m lazy and don’t actually take school seriously. I do, it’s just I like to have fun too. I’m bored. Uee went to Jooyeon’s and left me in the main building alone. I fell asleep in my History lecture again. Good thing my professor posts the podcasts of his lectures online. I’ll listen to it later. I have an econ paper to do by tomorrow. I haven’t even started it yet…Wish me luck, I’ll write in you later.

-Nana

I close my journal and click my pen. I place them back in my bag. I stand up and throw my garbage into the trashcan. I decide to go home. As I walk out of the main building, the sun is peeking above the clouds and it’s warmer. I take off my cardigan and place it on my bag.

“Attention everyone!” I turn to see a girl standing on a chair with a megaphone in hand. I walk a bit closer and listen.

“Tomorrow’s the Walk for Humanity event! Please don’t forget to come check it out and participate,” she yells into the megaphone. “Oh and donations are welcome,” she adds before stepping off the chair.

She was at a booth with a banner on top reading “Walk for Humanity”. I approach the booth, pick up a pamphlet and start to read through it. The girl with the megaphone was crouching down on the other side of the table. She stood up and saw me.

“Hi, hey, hi,” she greets me three times. “Welcome to the Walk for Humanity booth.”

I smirk. “Hi, the Walk for Humanity is to raise awareness for poverty right?” I say.

“Yes it is,” she replies. “How’d you know?”

I raise the pamphlet in my hand and tap it. She smiles sheepishly.

“Oh. Well, it’s tomorrow. It’s a walk but there will be other events going on as well,” she explains.

I smile and nod. Her cheeks are rosy pink and her hair is a cute blonde bob.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” I say.

“Y-Yeah, see you tomorrow,” she stammers.

I walk away.

“Don’t forget to bring donations,” she shouts.

I turn around. “Don’t worry I won’t.”

I unlock the door to my apartment and step inside. I slip off my shoes and put my bag on the couch. I go to the kitchen and open the fridge but then I close it again. I walk into the living room and slump onto the couch. I should start my econ paper. I groan and sit up. I open my bag pull out my laptop, my econ textbook and notebook and go to the table between the kitchen and living room. I set up my stuff and sit down.

“Alright let’s start this econ paper,” I mumble to myself.

I open the textbook and begin to read it.

“Finally,” I exclaim as I finish up my paper and click the print button. I walk over to the printer. It’s 5 am right now. I haven’t slept yet and I ‘ve consumed 5 large cups of coffee. I have econ at 8 am. I can get two hours of sleep or I can get ready now instead. I take the papers from the printer and put them in my notebook. I pack up my stuff and go to my bedroom. I will myself not to lie in bed; because I know as soon as I lie down I will fall asleep and never wake up. I grab my towels and go in my bathroom. I strip off my clothes and place them in the hamper. I step into the bathtub and turn on the shower. The warm water gently hits my back and I relax.

After my shower, I go back to my bedroom and check the weather on my phone. Oh it’s supposed to be warmer than yesterday. I take out a pair of black high wasted shorts and a dark green loose tank top and get dressed. I towel dry my hair for a bit before I plug in the hair dryer and blow dry my hair instead. After my hair is as dry as it can get I unplug the hair dryer and plug in my straightener. I straighten my long brown hair. It takes about half an hour since I want to make sure it’s perfect. I apply a thin layer of makeup. I take a step back and look at myself in the mirror. I turn around and inspect my . Nice. I smirk at my reflection.

Even if I don’t get a wink of sleep, I always make sure to look my best no matter what. You always have to put on your best face and keep your head held high. It’s 7 am now. I grab a jean jacket from my closet and go into the living room. I loot around my bag and take out my journal. I open it and begin to write.

Dear Diary,

I spent hours writing my econ paper and I succeeded! I finished it at 5 am. I haven’t slept yet. As soon as econ’s over I ‘m coming straight home to sleep. I’ll write in you soon.

-Nana

I close my journal and place it in my bag. I put on my shoes; lock the door to my apartment and bike to the university. I love riding my bike. I ride it everywhere. I don’t like cars; they pollute the air too much and are horrible for the environment. Plus, I get exercise by riding my bike.

I go to the café of the main building of the university and eat breakfast.

“Hi,” I hear a familiar voice behind me say.

I turn around and see the Blondie from yesterday. She’s wearing a black shirt that says “Walk for Humanity” in white and a pair of skinny jeans. I put down my bagel and smile.

“Hey, Blondie,” I say.

She smiles. “Are you ready for today?”

“What time is it at?” I ask.

“It starts at 9 and ends around 6 pm,” she says.

I nod slowly. “I might come around the later side.”

“That’s fine, as long as you show up.”

“So, are you grabbing breakfast?” I ask.

“Yeah, I have to meet up with the group and set up soon.”

“Well have fun. I’ll see you later Blondie,” I say.

She laughs. “See you later.”

I turn back around and finish my bagel and drink. Let’s hope I have enough energy for this Walk for Humanity.

I start to make my way to class, as there’s 15 minutes before it starts. I see Jungah approaching the business building.

“Hey Jung Jung!” I call out.

She turns around and waves. I jog toward her.

“What’s up?” she says.

I shrug.

“Did you finish your paper?” she asks.

I nod. “Did you?”

"Yeah after a hundred years,” she says exasperatedly.

We climb the steps and open the doors to the lecture hall. We sit near the back.

“Alright, I’ll be collecting your papers now so if you can bring them up,” the professor announced.

Jungah and I got up and gave the professor our papers.

“The lecture’s supposed to be short today,” Jungah whispers.

“Good.”

The lecture was less than an hour long.

“Where are you going now?” Jungah asks as we step out of the business building.

“I think I’m gonna head home. I haven’t slept yet,” I reply.

“Wow, you definitely have to sleep then!” she exclaims.

“I will. Bye Jung Jung,” I say sweetly.

“Bye Nana.”

I leave the campus grounds and crash as soon as I am home.

I open my eyes slightly. What time is it? I grab my phone from my nightstand. My eyes bulge open. It’s 5 pm. I slept for a straight 8 hours. Oh my god, the Walk for Humanity. There’s an hour left, I can make it.

I quickly get out of bed and bike to the university. I park my bike at the bike rings and run to the main campus grounds. I see a bunch of booths and tents with tons of people there.

I jog to the booths. Once I get there I lean on a pole to catch my breath. I look around and see information booths, games, donation booths, and food stands. Impressive.

I walk around a bit as I look for Blondie. I see her at one of the information booths talking to some guy. I approach the table and stand there until they’re finished talking.

“You made it,” she says happily.

“Of course I did,” I say coyly.

“Well you missed the actual walk but there’s still other stuff going on,” she says.

“It’s alright, I’ll walk for humanity for the rest of my life,” I respond.

She chuckles.

“This is actually really impressive, good job,” I compliment.

“Thank you.” She blushes.

“I should head to the donation place,” I announce.

“It’s over there,” she says pointing to the direction.

I walk over to the donation booth and place my donation there. I want to go back to Blondie except she seems really busy so I decide to play a few games.

“DARTS AND BALLOONS. COME ON UP AND THROW SOME DARTS AT THE BALLOONS. IT’S HARDER THAN IT LOOKS. SEE IF YOU CAN WIN,” a burly man with a dark mustache yells.

“I want to try,” I say.

“Yes. Come over here,” he says eagerly.

He gives me 4 darts. The balloons are pretty far away. I throw the first dart and it hits a yellow balloon. There’s a pop sound.

“There ya go,” the man shouts.

I throw the second dart except it goes in between two balloons. I grimace.

“It’s okay, you still got two tries,” the man says enthusiastically.

On my third try I hit a red balloon. I smile.

“One more,” the man informs me.

I my lips. I have to get this one to win. I squint my eyes and pinpoint my target. I throw the dart and it hits a blue balloon. Pop.

“AND WE HAVE A WINNNNNNNERRR,” the man yells happily.

I grin from ear to ear. One of my favourite things is winning. I’m a very competitive person.

“What would you like?” he asks gesturing to the stuffed animals and prizes.

“I want that elephant,” I say pointing to a small blue elephant.

“Here ya go,” he says handing me my prize.

“Thank you,” I say before I leave.

I look around and see the booths packing up. I check my phone and it’s almost 6. I walk to the booth that Blondie was at.

“Ey,” I say.

“Hey,” she says.

“Here,” I say giving her the stuffed elephant.

“What’s this?” she asks confused.

“I won it at some darts game. Keep it,” I say.

“Are you sure?” she asks surprised.

“I’m positive,” I reply.

She takes the elephant and smiles. “Thank you.”

“No problem. I see the event is over now,” I point out.

“Yeah, it’s been a long day. I can’t wait to go home,” she says.

“Yeah I bet,” I say.

“I should get back to packing up the stuff,” she says.

“Right, I’ll let you get back to it.” I’m about to walk away except she stops me.

“Wait,” she calls out. I turn around. “I never got your name.”

I gently smile. “Name’s Nana. And yours?”

“Lizzy. Nice to meet you Nana,” she says.

“Nice to meet you too Lizzy.”