1. Bucket List

Summer Bucket List

Hi. Name's Choi Jinri, 17 years old this year. 

This year, my summer is going to be a special one. 

 

"Doctor, is my daughter alright?" A worried voice reverberated through the silent hallways of the hospital. 

"Mr Choi. Your daughter has been suffering from Generalised Anxiety Disorder for years! Throughout these years, may I ask, did you not realise anything bizzare about her?" 

"I'm sorry, both my wife and myself are busy with work and we..." 

"It's a relief that the maids found her early. She was lying in the bath tub with blood gushing from wrists. She could have died! " 

"I'm sorry doctor, I..." 

"After our psychatrist did a check-up on her, we realised that she has GAD. Please keep her well rested these days and make sure she stays calm and composed. After she has been discharged, it'll do her good to have a vacation to clear her mind." 

"Thank you, doctor." 

Shaking his head, the doctor walked down the aisle into his office. Parents. How could they fail to realise that their daughter has been suffering from GAD for years! And the girl was only 17! She had a life to lead! 

"May she get better soon..." The doctor muttered under his breath as he stepped into his office. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that was how I ended up having to travel to my grandmother's house by the sea to spend the summer. My parents were busy with work as usual, but I guess they figured that granny would be able to take care of me during this period of time. Moreover, after receiving treatments from the psychatrist, my condition was stabilising and most probably, I wouldn't try anything funny again. 

"Ssul, it's time to take your pills," said Luna as she walked into my room. Luna was one of the maids in the house. My parents adopted her from the orphanage when she was 5 and I was 3 years old. They had wanted her to become their daughter, but stubborn Luna refused to 'take money' from them and eventually, they came to consensus that Luna would be my personal maid. She was to live in the house, and my parents would pay her monthly. However, Luna was more of my best friend than my personal maid, or whatever. As we grew up together, she was always watching out for me like a big sister, picking me up when I fell, comforting me when I cried, and taking care of me when I fell ill. In fact, she was the one who saved me from Death's clutches... I couldn't imagine my life without her -- In a very true sense, we were like twins attached by the hip. 

I swallowed the medication grimacing. Eew medicine. They were always so bitter. Plopping herself on my bed, Luna asked, "Ssul, are you happy to go to the seaside for this summer?" 

I nodded rather enthusiastically. I mean, I'll get to enjoy the breeze and clear my head, spend sometime with the woman that I loved dearly, and possibly, ogle some of the major hunks suntanning at the beach." 

"You'll be going with me, right?" 

Luna smiled. "Yes, of course. Think of a time when we were seperated." 

I thought for a moment. True, we've always been inseperable. As I was about to reply, Luna bolted from my bed and grabbed me by my shoulder, her eyes shining with excitement. 

"Ssul! I just had the greatest idea in the world! You should make a summer bucket list! You know, it will definitely help you take your mind off things and who knows, you might have unexpected surprises along the way!" 

A summer bucket list? I've only heard of it in teen fictions before... Oh well, it wouldn't hurt to try. 

Picking up a pen and a piece of paper from my desk, I furrowed my eyebrows and began to think. What do I want to accomplish in this summer? 

After a whole hour of brainstorming and mental debating, my summer bucket list was finally done. 

1. Learn how to swim 

2. Go stargazing  

3. Wear a bikini for the first time 

4. Eat fresh seafood  

5. Spend a night lying on the sand 

6. Make a new friend 

7. Have a stroll by the beach with granny at least twice a week 

8. Make a kite 

9. Read a book on the beach 

10. Find someone special and fall in love 

"Cool," commented Luna when I showed her my list, "But why did you cancel the 'fall in love' part? Have a summer fling... That's not really out of the questions isn't it?" 

"When the feeling is right, then everything is right," I replied, admiring my efforts, "I wouldn't want to fall in love just for the sake of falling in love, yeah? Let nature take its course." 

Luna raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything. 

"What about your summer bucket list, Luna? It'll fun for us to try to complete our lists together." 

She looked at me and smiled. 

"My summer bucket list would be... Make Sulli happy. Make Sulli happy. Make Sulli happy. Make Sulli happy till summer ends, then continue making her happy."