1

Magical Touch [HIATUS]

Ever since young, Hyesung had always been an introvert. He had such low self-esteem because of an accident that had happened when he was a toddler. It happened when his mother turned away from the boiling pot of water in the kitchen. Hyesung innocently reached out for the pot and his face were burnt but most of it wasn’t bad, just his forehead was severely burnt that not even surgery could cover it.

The burn was quite visible that Hyesung was always teased badly during his childhood, to the point that he had isolated himself, avoided making friends. He even grew out his fringe so that he could cover his forehead but he had sort of overgrown it as it was covering his eyes and most of his nose. However, he didn’t care as he could still see perfectly, it was just others couldn’t see his eyes at all.

It was his last year of high school, and all Hyesung did until then was studying, he didn’t join any club or get involved in any social activity. He was just like an invisible being to his classmates. Since the beginning of the final year, Hyesung had grown wary of studying, he wanted to do something else, something more interesting and exciting but he didn’t quite know yet.

It was one fine spring day, when Hyesung had the afternoon off because his teacher was absent due to an unexpected accident that there was no substitute teacher available to replace. Hyesung didn’t want to go home just yet so he was wandering around the streets and a karaoke club caught his eyes. Hyesung entered the place mindless, he just wanted to try and in karaoke room, there would be no one looking at him.

“Excuse me. I want to book a room for one hour.” Hyesung softly asked the clerk at the reception.

“It’s room 5, to your left from here.” The guy smiled as he pointed at the room. Hyesung stared at the guy through his fringe, thinking how that guy looked familiar but he couldn’t recall the name.

“Next please.” The clerk announced as Hyesung walked to his room. The clerk was scared to death when he saw Hyesung but it seemed like the guy didn’t know him. They happened to be classmates but Hyesung didn’t pay enough attention to remember anyone’s name but his own. However, the clerk, also known as Andy, knew about Hyesung, well at least he knew about Hyesung’s existence and name. Why was Andy scared? Because he was working, it was prohibited for students to work, part time or full time, but Andy had his reasons.

In his karaoke room, Hyesung randomly picked out songs from the eighties, mostly ballads and sang his heart out. He wasn’t a professional but he was gifted with such heavenly voice. He was off beat and off key for many times but his unique tone was rather attractive and warm. Hyesung felt relieved and alive after he had sung for the whole hour non-stop, his throat was getting sore and his voice was hoarse.

“Did you have a good time?” Andy asked as Hyesung went up to pay, it was part of his customer service.

“Yea. I will come back tomorrow.” Hyesung replied.

After that, Hyesung would drop by the place every day after school, of course, Andy was there for most days as he rushed there right after he had finished with school. However, he was amazed that Hyesung couldn’t recognise him at all. Andy was also curious about the fact that Hyesung had always go to karaoke alone, from his own experience, karaoke is much more fun and enjoyable with people, the more the merrier.

And just like that, a month had flown by, Hyesung’s passion for singing was growing stronger, his skill was improving as well. It seemed that he had found himself, he wanted to be singer but then he was afraid. He was afraid that no one would like a person like him. He was afraid that people would hate his appearance; that they would despite him and not to mention, who would accept someone like him into their company.

It happened one day that Hyesung was too thirsty from his singing that he ordered some drinks. Such a coincident that Andy was the one delivered the drinks. As he opened the door, Andy was mesmerized by the sweet heavenly voice, he couldn’t help himself to listen until the song had finished.

“You’re amazing.” Hyesung was startled at the comment and Andy was gawking at him with mouth slight opened.

“Eh... thanks...” Hyesung scratched his head, embarrassed.

“Why don’t you try some auditions? I’m sure you will get through with that voice.” Andy commented as he placed the drinks on the table.

“I wouldn’t. Not with this appearance....” Hyesung sighed.

“What if I can do something about it? Meet me after my hour is over.” Andy suggested as he left the dumbfounded Hyesung in the room. Hyesung didn’t know what had driven him to believe in the guy he had just met, even though they somewhat saw each other at school, maybe it was because he wanted a miracle to happen.

“I’m done. Let’s go to my place to have our conversation.” Andy smiled at Hyesung, not sure if the other was willing to go or not since he couldn’t see through that thick layer of hair.

“Are you sure you can change me?” Hyesung doubted.

“Let me show you my magic.”Andy said as he held Hyesung’s hand, dragged the other with him, heading toward his house.

Both of them had arrived at Andy’s house, it was a standard house, nothing too flashy or uncommon.

“I’m home.” Andy announced but there was no reply, everyone must have gone out or haven’t got home yet.

“Let’s head to my room.”

“Sorry for intruding.” Hyesung politely said, assuming that there was someone home.

“Tah dah!” Andy proudly showed off his huge make-up table that was filled with hundreds of cosmetics.

“What?” Hyesung’s jaw dropped.

“My magical tools.” Andy grinned proudly. “Here, sit down and let me work my magic.”

Hyesung was pushed down onto the chair that was in front of the table, staring at his reflection in the big mirror through his hair. He was afraid. His body was twitching, urging him to just stand up and run away.

“Just trust me.” Andy whispered softly into Hyesung’s ear, which somehow, magically eased the fear away. 

“Plug this in your ears and closed your eyes until I’m done.” Andy smiled as he handed his Ipod and earphones to Hyesung.

As soon as he saw Hyesung had followed his directions, Andy pulled out one of his draw. There was a complete set of hair styling tools in there. He took out a water spray bottle, a pair of scissors and a comb. Andy began to spray Hyesung’s hair as well as comb the hair into place so that it would be ready for cutting. He was amazed by how soft Hyesung’s hair was though it seemed neglected and messy.

It was almost an hour of layering, cutting, t before Andy was satisfied with the new hairstyle. He realised the reason Hyesung had grew his fringe, the scar, so instead of getting rid of the fringe like he had original planned to, Andy just made it shorter and more neat.

Hyesung’s face shape was indeed pretty, a small oval shaped with high nose that can suit any hairstyle. Andy observed closely as the face was revealed after he had placed a headband to push the fringe away. After a few moments, he proceeded to pick out make-up base, primer and foundation. He had noticed that Hyesung had oily skin so oil-free cosmetics must be used in order to achieve the best result.

Time passed by as Andy worked his hands, gently brushing here and there, carefully covering the scar without caking it with powder. It was hard, but Andy enjoyed challenges. He loves to give confidence to people that need it, not to those that use make-up to put on fake faces.

Make-up was done and the scar disappeared. Hyesung’s skin was as smooth as a canvas, as if it was naturally like that. For the finishing touch, Andy gelled the fringe, slightly curled it with small locks, making it look a bit messy to increase the volume.

He took off the earphones from Hyesung’s ears which startled the guy, causing him to fling his eyes open.

“See for yourself.” Andy smile widely while looking into the mirror.

“M....e...?” Hyesung was speechless. That reflection was beyond his imagination, it was too perfect, it was much more than what he had asked for.

“Do you like it?” Hyesung nodded.

“Now, will you try some auditions? I know you can make it big.” Andy excitedly asked.

“But how will I keep this appearance? And I’m afraid...” Hyesung mumbled.

“True... I can’t always be there to do your make-up unless I take the audition with you. But I can’t sing.” Andy furrowed his eyebrows, thinking for a solution. He wanted to hear Hyesung’s voice, he wanted to spread that angelic voice to the world so that Hyesung would be more confident about himself.

“And how will I go to school tomorrow...?” Hyesung sighed at the thought. It would be like Cinderella after midnight, his magic would be gone when he washes his face.

“I will do it. You can come over to my place early or I can go to yours. That’s not a problem. The real problem is how to debut you!” Andy was biting his fingernails.

“Isn’t it bothersome.....” Hyesung was worried, they had just met and Andy was already offering a lot.

“Oh! How about this?” Andy exclaimed as he clapped his hands, totally ignored what Hyesung had just said. “You can do song covers, and we film it, post it on Youtube!”

“But who will do the filming? And isn’t it costly? And I don’t want the people from school and neighbourhood to know that it’s me...”

“Don’t worry. I have a friend that is so into photography and filming. He would be glad to do the job. And I can dye your hair for the shoots, with different hairstyle each time, no one would recognise you. Not to mention the clothes, I need to contact Minwoo immediately.” Andy was already fantasizing about filming. “It’s going to be awesome!!”

“Urh....”

“Don’t worry, you just need to sing. Let’s meet up this weekend to get our project started.”

“Alright...” Hyesung gave in to Andy’s enthusiasm, it was also partly because he also wanted to give it a try.

 


It was meant to be a one-shot, but then the idea grew on me so I wanted to write a chaptered fic instead OTL Just when I have Masks to finish (which I don't even know when I can mark it as complete). And I didn't even plan to get Dongwan and Minwoo involve but somehow it turn out that way...

So what do you think about this story?