Still Breathing -

How to Save a Life

Endless piles of music sheets surrounded the taxi's leather passenger seat and on top of Hyomin's thighs. She shuffled through each one frustratingly sighing and humming to each note, as if her hums was the cello that she played oh-so-well on. Her eyes quietly roamed to the window, raising her eyebrows as she saw a several drops of what seemed to be rain plop on the windows surface.

"Looks like it's going to be heavy rain. ma'am." The taxi driver adjusted the car's center mirror, looking at the girl. She just nodded and gave him a polite smile, not noticing the man's uneasy tone.

"How annoying. . does that mean I'm going to be late for class recital ?!" She angrily thought to herself. Not only is the conductor going to be furious, but she'll also miss the chance to see Qri, the freaking beautiful viola player. A soft growl slipped through her lips, as the sound of the rain pounded even harder than before. "Damn, I didn't even bring my umbrella !" She just remembered rushing out of the house, leaving it on her sofa just so that she can catch a cab.

"Aw . . " The driver grumbled under his breath, pressing one of the buttons next to the steering wheel repeatedly. Hyomin watched him struggle with it for awhile, finally asking. "What's wrong, mister ?"

He shook his head worriedly "The stupid repair workers told me the wipers would work just fine." He started to concentrate on the dysfunctional parts of the car, instead of the damn steering wheel.

She looked up to see that the front view window was completely blurred and moistened from the weather's humidity. A few blotches of random colors were here and there.

The sounds of distant car horns echoed near them. "Probably just passing by. . " Hyomin ignorantly told herself, looking back at those boring musical sheets once more. She looked at the cabbie man still fiddling with the controls, trying to get the window to clean. "Shouldn't his eyes be on the wheel. . ?"

"Ah, yes !" The driver grinned, as the wipers started clearing up the wet mess on the window. He looked back at Hyomin, who was lazily sitting back on her seat and reading the notes with low interest.

Hyomin looked up at the man, wanting to give him a quick smile, but her jaw froze and words wouldn't spill out. She frantically raised her index finger up towards the front window to show what she saw.

A truck.

---

Hyomin's eyes fluttered open, only to be blinded by bright lights.

"She's alive ! Her pulse is back ! We've got a live one !" The sound of a man's deep voice pounded against her ears. Deafening sounds of the blaring sirens rung at her ears and her breaths were in mixed patterns. Her chest burned from the musky air, but Hyomin didn't feel any new found pain.

"I. . I'm okay. . " Hyomin coughed out, trying to lift herself from the wet sidewalk. "Hey, hey ! NO ! Stay still !" The male medic barked at her and helped support the girl. "What are you doing ?! Help me bring her to the truck !" He yelled back at the fast paced workers.

"Put the mask on her, quickly !" The man's voice was frantic, as she felt herself being lifted on what seemed to be a gurney. A paramedic rushed to her, wrapping an oxygen mask around her face. Fresh breaths of air indulged , as they put her in the back of the ambulance truck. A woman looked at Hyomin, informing her "Don't worry, you'll be fine. Do not move." She then slammed the door's shut, leaving the girl to be brought to the nearest hospital.

"Everything's happening too fast. . " Hyomin held onto her head with one hand, it felt like someone hit it with a sledgehammer. Her eyes closed shut tightly, trying to rid of the horrible headache.

"So. . I guess she's okay."

Hyomin's shoulders jolted up, her head turned side to side, trying to see where that sudden voice came from. She brought her back up, digging her nails at the soft cot mattress.

"Woah, you can hear me ?!" The anonymous voice sounded amused and annoyingly cheerful.

"Wh-who is that ?" Hyomin stuttered, her skin was now giving birth to goose-bumps. The back of the ambulance truck now was silent from her voice. The only sounds to be heard were the cries of the paramedics and overly repetitive sirens.

"I guess it's okay to show myself. . " The voice was unsure and it sounded very feminine. Husky was another word to describe it aswell, Hyomin thought. Hyomin frowned thinking it was just her mind shoving words down . "I'll just close my eyes, count to 3, and open it again. Maybe that voice will stop." She told herself, slowly closing her eyes.

1.

2.

And. . . 3.

Hyomin opened her eyes, hoping everything is just a stupid dream.

But what she saw was this girl sitting right in front of her. She was shrouded in white and had these pair of white feathered wings wrapped around herself. 

"Hi." The stranger brought a hand up for a friendly greeting, only to scare the living daylights out of Hyomin's short life.

"WHAT THE ? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU ?!" Hyomin screeched, pointing an accusing finger at the girl.

"Woah, woah . hey ! Why so fidgety ?!" The girl frowned at her, standing up from her sitting position. She was fairly tall and seemed rather lanky, just like Hyomin.

"HOW'D YOU GET IN HERE ?! WHAT THE FU- ?!" The girl placed her index finger in the middle of Hyomin's lips.

"Shh. . people will hear you. Don't act like this to the person who saved you."