Orientation

Diptych
Please log in to read the full chapter

Youngmi opened up her internet browser and typed in a website address. It’s a long address, but she has memorized it, since it’s already the ninthth time she typed it today (and this week). Her eyes trace the list on the page, and her eyes trace the names that are written on there.

“It must be… a lie. I’m pretty sure the test is difficult as hell. Am I daydreaming? Is it really…” Youngmi scrolls up and down the website page. Her fingers are trembling, and her heart is beating erratically, both in excitement and worry.

“You have been checked it for about twelve times. When will you believe that you are accepted into BigHit High School?” her ears catch her mother’s voice. “Look! ‘Park Youngmi’ is written on their new students list,” her mother pointed at her name, and yeah, it’s already the ninthth time she has done so.

Youngmi blinks her eyes, still in disbelief.

“I think it’s a school that you're always dreaming of,” her mother rubs her head. “Or, is it not?”

“It is, Mom. But… a standard school’s alumnus is accepted in one of the most notorious school in Seoul. Is it... real?” Youngmi closes her internet browser again. “And please don’t forget about my grade.”

“Well, your theory doesn't suit with the reality,” Youngmi’s mom commented.

“I’m… uhmm… something has gone wrong… yeah, it’s just good luck, but I’m worried it can also be bad luck.”

“Even if you think you’re not fit for this school or something because of grades, I don’t think BigHit would pick an incompetent student,” Youngmi’s mom patted her daughter’s head. Well, Youngmi is happy for sure. It’s a good school and… Park Jimin is studying there.

Actually, she wants to be a BigHit student because of him, a bizarre and cheerful boy who made her day when they joined a tiring English course years ago. She watched him from a far, awed his amazing voice and dance moves, and being his secret fans. Bad luck for her, Jimin just joined for about three months. And he didn’t join the course again after he was being a highschool student. So, if she wanted to see him again, she must be in the same school as him.

Being accepted into BigHit is more difficult than winning the lottery. Even being a smart student doesn't guaranteed you to be accepted. You must be more than that. Maybe a genius, super-talented, or... super-lucky.

“Anyway, congratulation!” Youngmi’s mom hugs her. “Should we celebrate it by having dinner in your favorite café?”

“Eh? Uhm… Mom… that's a good idea,” she falteringly replies.

Her mind wonders off when she knows that she’ll meet Jimin again. Will life give her a smooth path? Is he being cuter? How tall he is? Do his chubby cheeks still exist?

“Youngmi-ah,”

The girl turns her head to her mom, feeling a bit embarrassed because she knows that her own imagination makes her cheeks turn red. Fortunately, her mother is looking at her fence, so she doesn’t know that her daughter’s cheeks are red.

“Is it okay for you to have a new father?”

Youngmi raised up an eyebrow. “It’s not okay if my father is the same age as me.”

“So, do you wanna have an older one? Or a younger one?”

“Yah, Eomma! Do you wanna have a husband or a son?” she protests causing her mother to laugh. “Wait, Eomma, do you plan on marrying someone?”

“What do you think?”

“Eomma, I’m the one who's asking you,” Youngmi sulks.

“What if I say yes? And what if I say no?”

“Eomma, I’m deadly serious! I’m curiouuussss.”

“I'm suddenly thinking about how to make you believe me, because you're already making me know that you’re not easy to believe something, even the news is labeled with a legal stamp.”

“Please don’t talk about the new student announcement. I trust you more than that school stamp.”

Youngmi’s mom nods. “I see.”

“So?” Youngmi forces.

Silence is the only sound around them, until Youngmi’s mom speaks out, “I can’t say no."

 

 

Youngmi looks around to see her new friends. She feels a bit uncomfortable since the atmosphere is different from her Middle School. There are too many cool kids. Plus, she knows no one. Looks like she’s the only one who come from her Middle School.

She runs to her class and sees her new classmates. Many different types of songs are playing from her classmates’ gadgets, students who already know each other are chatting like there’s no tomorrow, and the students who aren’t interested in joining in on the conversation schoose to read a comic, go to sleep, or play with their phones.

Youngmi decides to take a seat. She goes to the student in the corner of the classroom, who still has no desk friend. The girl is taller than her, she has slightly small eyes, and she has straight black hair. She’s playing with her pink phone, and her face looks really bored.

“May I sit here?” Youngmi asks.

The girl looks up and smiles. “Oh, sure. I thought I would sit alone.”

Youngmi feels the girl’s accent is unfamiliar. Koreans have different dialects for some districts, but for this one… is she a foreigner?

“My name is Park Youngmi, what’s your name?” She decides to take action by introducing herself.

“I’m Ikeuchi Rena.”

“Ikeuchi? Are you a Japanese?” That’s why she has a different dialect, Youngmi thinks.

“My father is Japanese, but my mother is Korean. You must’ve noticed something from my accent, didn't you?”

“Hmm, yeah,” Youngmi says, as she scratched the back of her head. She hopes Rena won’t think of her as being disrespectful.

Youngmi takes her phone out, just to make herself busy with something. She glances at Japanese girl, looks like she’s texting with someone.

“Youngmi-ya, are you a Seoul native?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“I just moved here weeks ago, and… I wanna visit some nice places. My friend told me that Lotte World is nice. Do you want to accompany me?”

“Ah, it't’s my favorite place ever. Dont' worry, I'll accompany you.”

“Well, I've also heard that Han River is beautiful, and Namsan Lovelock Trees are unique. Hmm… do you have a suggestion which place to visit first?”

“Honestly, I’ve gotten tired with Han River. And about Lovelock… my friends said it's better to visit with your boyfriend. But if you wanna go there, I prefer to visit them last, since I personally think that Lotte World is more interesting.”

Please log in to read the full chapter