Happy Birthday

Reminiscing Memories

 

Unnie = what girls call their older sister or their older friends who is also a girl

Oppa = what girls call their older brother or their boyfriends

Omma = mother

 

Chapter One: Happy Birthday

 

Jessica’s perspective

 

“Jessica,” a sweet gentle voice called my name. Only one person in the world would wake me up as caring as this, as caring as a mother. I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting itself to the bright light coming from the window and my guessed was right. Though, her image was blurred before my eyes fully opened. Her long dark brown straight hair was down to her waist. Her pale clear face was as always, radiant pretty. Her soft brown yet dark eyes were constantly shining. She smiled warmly at me as her fingers brushed through my hair, sweeping it away from my cheek. She leaned closer to me and whispered into my ear, in a cheerful tone. “Happy nineteenth birthday.”

 

I smiled hearing her congratulated me and next she kissed my forehead as if I was a child. “Thank you SeulGi unnie.” I thanked her as I rose from my sleeping position and rubbed my right eye, letting my blanket fell off from my shoulders to my waist. She backed away from me so I had space to stretch myself.

 

“Your welcome Jessica and,” she paused, trying to take out something white from her pocket. It was an envelope. “It’s from your parents and based on the stamp, they are currently in Paris.”

 

I immediately took the letter away from her and practically tore it apart. Inside, it was a birthday card. It looked so cute with a picture of a brown smiling teddy bear holding a delicious looking piece of cake. I guessed the cake is strawberry because it was pink with cute pink candles. There were also two heart shaped balloons beside the soft brown bear. The card has a pretty unique design. I could see why they chose it. It even sparkled with its tiny soft looking glitters. After admiring the cover, I opened the card to read what they wrote. As usual, they apologized for not able to come back home to celebrate my birthday. SeulGi unnie was right. They are presently at France now. They also wrote that they bought me clothes there; it would arrive sometime next week. After they wrote how sorry they are, they asked how their son is doing. Speaking of the devil, where is he? “Unnie, where is YunHo oppa?” I looked up at SeulGi’s poker face.

 

“He’s at work. An employee called him this morning. It sounded urgent too.” Unnie answered. I was disappointed. My own brother did not wish me a happy birthday. Even if he is a pain but he is still the only one related to me that I have here. SeulGi unnie seemed to notice my sudden change of expression and tried comforting me with a hug. I felt her soft hair brushed against my cheek as she cuddled me. This is why I love SeulGi unnie. She is so doting. I’m glad YunHo oppa let her stay with us.

 

“Omma. I’m hungry.” I pouted after SeulGi unnie broke the hug. I sometimes called SeulGi unnie, ‘omma’ because she is so thoughtful like a mother. She giggled and stood up. Even her smile was filled of love. It made me bliss just seeing it.

 

“Well get up and take a shower. Someone is already awake to make you a very special breakfast.” I thought she meant YunHo, but then again YunHo oppa is a horrible chief. I’m pretty sure he does not want me to die on my birthday. After SeulGi unnie left my bedroom, I did my morning routine and walked out to the kitchen. I was surprise to see my favorite breakfast on the table, eggs with a side of toast and chocolate brownies, along with a vase of white roses, my favorite flower.

 

“Happy birthday Jessica.” I heard someone greeted me from behind. His unique deep charismatic voice made me shivers. It always does. That person covered my eyes and wanted me to guess whom he was. I laughed hearing this, only one person in the world who has that captivating voice.

 

“My funny Mickey Mouse, YooChun Park.” I easily answered. He let go of me and I turned back to gently brushed my lips against his. “You’re up early.” I hugged him after we broke the kiss. He hugged me back and I saw SeulGi unnie from the corner of my eye. She was in the living room and she has a look on her face which mean do not do anything over the line. She is as overprotective as YunHo is. At least they agreed on our relationship.

 

“I wanted to wish you a happy birthday.” He released me and I saw his angelic smile. I stepped away from him just a little so I could see his whole face clearly. His hair was shining black with dark brown highlights, last time it was only black. His baby face’s features never fail to mesmerize me. He was too handsome to be human. “I also wanted to make you breakfast.” Did I mention his voice was too enchanting too?

 

“Thank you YooChun.” I’m so lucky to have him as a lover. He is such a sweet caring person, unlike my brother that is. I’m really glad I met him at a flower shop last year. He was a flirt back then; it’s one of his charms. I really have found my true love. He watched me ate the breakfast he made. It was absolutely scrumptious, which pleased him. After the mealtime, we stayed in the apartment; apparently it was YunHo’s order. SeulGi unnie has to go to work so she left early. She worked in the same café as YunHo oppa.

 

“Do you want your present, baby?” YooChun asked me. I snuggled up to him and rest my head on his chest. I could smell his sweet scent. He was warm too. He hugged my shoulder and placed his head on mine, inhaling the fragrance of my hair. “You haven’t answer me.”

 

“I thought I already got my present.” I looked up at him and I saw him looking down at me with a cute confuse expression. I giggled at his adorable face and his cheekbones with my fingers. “I already have you. It’s the only present I ever want. What else do I need?”

 

“You need a real present,” he stated. “Other than me.” he moved me away gently as he reached for his bag. I watched him as took out a cutely wrapped box. It was a small pink box with glitters and ribbons all around it. He gave me the pink box and he had a grin on his face.

 

“What’s this?” I examined the box followed by shaking it but heard nothing. He looked at me amusingly. Then he whispered softly to me.

 

“Your present of course. Now open it.” He ordered. His large hands guided mine to open it. We untied the ribbons of the box together and inside there was a black and red necklace. It had two cute black and red stones shaped like Mickey Mouse. I laughed because the charm reminds me of him. It even sparkled in the sunlight, making small rainbows of it’s own. It must have cost a lot. He leaned closer to my ear and I could feel his warm breathes on my neck. “Do you like it?” His voice was full of hope and concern.

 

“YooChun, this must be expensive.” My hands continued to caress the mouse charm, watching the small rainbows around it. “You don’t have to spend on me. I’m happy that you are here with me.” I could feel his muscular arms tighten around me.

 

“I know but I want to spend on you. I want to spoil you, like YunHo and SeulGi do.” Then he kissed my hair and embraced me more than ever. I shook my head in disapproval. I do know how he felt. I wanted to do the same to him but I know he would not like it if I do spend money on him. I moved up to his face and gave him a kiss.

 

“Well since you already bought this, thank you.” He beamed as I said those words. I cuddled toward him again and tried to enjoy his existence. I wanted to remember how warm he was. How he sweet he smelt. How he cherished me with his huge muscular arms. I could forever stay like this, just as long he stay beside me. I do not know how long we’ve been in that position but we came back to reality when YooChun’s phone rang.

 

“Hello? Oh it’s you. Okay… Right… Fine, we’ll be there in a few minutes. See you later.” Then he hanged up and grinned at me. I have known him for a year now and that grin meant he had something planned. I demanded for an explanation then. I eyed him suspiciously but he kept the same grin on his face. I hate it when he is like this. I folded my arms on my chest, waiting.

 

“Time for your second birthday present.” His smirk got wider afterward he stood up. He walked toward the coat closet and took out both of our coats. “Come on. We don’t want to be late.” I sat still on the sofa. What is he up to? I don’t like it. He looked at me and sighed. He must have noticed my stubbornness. He walked over in front of me next crouched down and held my hands. We stared at each other for a few seconds. His eyes looked like they were begging for me to cooperate. After, I asked where he was taking me. He let out a sighed of annoyance. “If I tell you then it won’t be a surprise. Someone will kill me if I tell you.” He explained. He was practically pleading.

 

“Who do you mean when you said ‘someone’? Did you mean YunHo?” It must be YunHo. Who else wants to kill YooChun, my boyfriend?

 

“Jessica.” YooChun whined. He pouted afterward. His pout was too adorable for words. I looked away from him in order not to fall into his trap. “Please be a good girl and do whatever I say. Just for today.”

 

“But today is my birthday. Shouldn’t I get what I want?”

“Then what do you want?”

“An explanation.”

“Other than that.”

“Nothing else but a clarification.”

 

“Fun killer.” He mumbled but I did hear him. I shot deadly glares at him. He then held my hands tighter. “Look Jessica, please cooperate. We are going to be late. You’ll fine out later anyway.” He enlightened me. He is right though. I was still for a second, thinking. He looked restless waiting for me.

 

“Fine.” I gave in. He smiled upon hearing my answer and embraced me. I heard him thanked me for cooperating. The next thing I know was I was in his car. He was driving carefully, listening to some music on the radio. It was almost dark and the lights on the street began to light up. The lights made YooChun somewhat glowed. I stared at him in awed. He really is an angel, my angel and no one else’s. He can prove that himself, though not the angel part but the part where he belonged to me.

 

“Jessica?” His deep voice woke me up from my thoughts. I immediately felt slightly hot on my cheeks. I heard him chuckle as he stared up a head. “Were you thinking about me?” Okay, now my face is burning. I shook my head and tried to hide my red face. I decided to look out of the window. I heard him chuckled. I’m glad he is enjoying himself. The lights on the streets were brightly lit and I saw a few cars on the road. The sights of passing buildings with neon lights were astounding. After a few minutes, I felt the car stopped. It seemed that we are at a traffic light. Then without warning, YooChun leaned closer to me and gave me a light kiss. I stared at him with shock. He still had the same smirk on his striking baby face. “Did I make you blush?” He asked, still smirking. I could feel my face burning hot. I looked up front and the lights were almost turning green.

 

“Green light.” I told him to drive so I would not have to answer. Though he did make me blushed. No matter what how many times he kisses me or even just touches me, he always makes my cheeks redden and my heart accelerates. Only he can make me feel this way. My gaze returned to the window and I was surprise to see a truck heading right toward us. Fast and without warning…

 

… It collided with us.

 

“Jessica, I love you.” That was all I could hear before I fell into the black darkness.