Chapter 1

Will you come to understand my heart? ♥

“Eun Mi! Minhyuk’s here!!!” I heard my umma shout downstairs. I looked at the mirror one last time to check my reflection before I headed downstairs.

It’s Monday today and I’m feeling a bit moody because well, I hate Mondays.

“Hey Eun Mi,” Minhyuk greeted me with a smile. I couldn’t help but smile back. His smile was just too irresistible.

“You ready to go?” He asked cheerfully.

“Ne!” I answered quickly and grabbed my house keys.

“Eun Mi-ssi, don’t forget your packed lunch!” My umma called after me just as I was about to close the front door. I sighed, thanked her and then left.

“How are you today Miss grumpy pants?” Minhyuk chuckled as we both started walking to school. If you’re wondering; no Minhyuk is not my boyfriend. He’s my best friend although I’d really like him to be my boyfriend. The thing is though he doesn’t know I have feelings for him.

“I hate Mondays…” I grumbled and dragged my backpack along the ground.

“Hey I gave you that backpack!” He pointed out. I picked it up lazily and put it on my back. A few of my close friends knows I have feelings for Minhyuk but I can’t tell Minhyuk cos I’m positive that he doesn’t feel the same way. We started off as best friends and we’ll end up together as that and nothing else. I’ve accepted that a long time ago.

“If you don’t want to carry it, I’ll carry it for you.” He offered.

“I’m capable of carrying it. Thanks anyway.” I replied.

We were nearing the school now. I felt even grumpier and moodier.

“Come on cheer up! It’s not the end of the world!” Minhyuk placed his arm over my shoulder which made me shudder because of the sudden touch.

 

I listened to my teacher jabber on about something I wasn’t interested in during Science class. When I couldn’t be bothered to listen to her anymore, I diverted my attention towards my notebook and I started doodling. Minutes past and I could feel someone staring at me. I looked around the classroom and I met eyes with the geek of the school, U-Kwon. He was proper staring at me through his geeky glasses and I felt a little bit uncomfortable. I glared at him and that made him finally look away.

When class finally ended I collected my books and walked out of the classroom. Because of my foul mood, I forgot about Minhyuk. He ran after me and pouted those gorgeous lips at me.
“Ya why did you leave me?” He asked in a childish voice.

“Sorry~” I responded with a quick smile.

We went to our lockers to place the books we didn’t need for the rest of the day, as I opened my locker, an envelope that didn’t belong to mine fell down by my feet. Minhyuk picked it up and opened it himself.

“Hey that’s mine. Thank you very much.” I snatched it away from him.

Turns out the envelope contained a love letter. My eyes widened.

“Ooh it’s from a secret admirer…” Minhyuk poked me on the side.

“It’s probably just from geeky U-Kwon…” I scoffed and threw the letter in the bin after I skimmed through it. Minhyuk seemed to be affected by that but maybe it was my mood that was bothering him.

On the way home, Minhyuk kept on about that damn love letter.

“Aren’t you interested on finding out who your admirer is?” He pressed.

“No, not really.” I answered with a shrug.

“But this guy could be your potential boyfriend. You told me that you wanted a boyfriend.” Minhyuk carried on.

“It might be that geeky and not to mention creepy U-Kwon.” I gulped.

“He’s not creepy!” Minhyuk defended U-Kwon.

“You date him then,” I sniggered. Minhyuk fell about laughing.

“I’m straight Eun Mi. Straight as an arrow. I like girls.” He smirked.

“Good for you.” I mused.

“See you tomorrow then,” Minhyuk waved at me.

“Yeah, see you…” I sighed and waited for him to disappear around the corner before I went inside my house. How I hated him saying “see you tomorrow”. I always want to spent time with him and I really want him to be my boyfriend. I’ve never had a boyfriend before so I really don’t know how to tackle this kind of situation.

 

The next day at school…

 

“Minhyuk-ah, I’ve got free period now. Have you done our Maths homework?” I asked as we got out of English class. My mood was a little bit better today as it was no longer Monday. It was now Tuesday which I prefer.

“Well I’ve got History class next so you best go to the library and copy my Maths homework then…” He grinned and handed me his notebook.

“Thanks oppa~ come get me at the library later?” I smiled at him.

“Sure,” He smiled back and walked the other way. I needed to go to my locker to get my Maths notebook before I could go to the library. When I opened my locker, another envelope fell by my feet. I picked it up and ripped it open, revealing another love letter. I only skimmed through the first love letter but this time I was reading it word by word.

“Dear Eun Mi, I saw you threw my first letter away. Did I write something wrong? I hope I haven’t offended you although it did hurt me a little bit seeing you throw my letter away. I’m guessing you don’t feel the same way about me. Anyway, I just want to tell you that I do like you a lot and I want you to be mine. Sorry that’s a bit cheesy but hey, one more thing. I lost my teddy bear. Can I cuddle you tonight?

I giggled at the last sentence. This guy is pretty sweet. Then the image of geeky-creepy U-Kwon flashed in my head. I can’t believe he’s stalking me. I grabbed my Maths notebook, placed it in my bag and locked my locker. I placed the 2nd love letter in my blazer pocket and headed to the library. I was going to confront U-Kwon and tell him to stop sending me those cheesy love letters but I didn’t find him in the library. I took a seat on one of the empty tables and started copying the answers for our Maths homework from Minhyuk’s notebook. As I was just about to finish, U-Kwon appeared and stood in front of me. I looked up at him and glared.

“H-Hi E-Eun-Mi…” He greeted me nervously. I narrowed my eyes down at him. Was he going to reveal that he’s my secret admirer? He’s got nerve. “What’s up U-Kwon?” I asked him flatly. He gulped and adjusted his glasses.

“I j-just w-wanted t-to ask h-how are y-you…” He stammered.

“I’m fine. Look, why don’t you sit down…” I told him. He nodded quickly and sat down, putting his books on top of the table. As we were in the library, I couldn’t yell at him because for sure I will get thrown out. So if I was going to confront him, I would have to do it calmly. I took the letter out of my blazer pocket and placed it in front of U-Kwon who was fidgeting in his seat. He stared at the letter then at me with a confused expression. “Can you please stop sending me love letters?” I hissed under my breath. U-Kwon looked dumbfounded. His mouth was hanging open and he was just staring at me. I sighed out loud and tucked some of my hair behind my ear.

“I haven’t sent you any love letters Eun-Mi,” U-Kwon responded. I gasped.

“Come on U-Kwon, don’t lie.” I pressed. He shook his head and opened one of his notebooks and flicked through the pages. He pushed it forward to me along with the letter.

“Different handwriting… S-See?” He pointed out. His handwriting was indeed very different. His actual handwriting was very neat while the handwriting on the letter is scrawny and somewhat messy.

“Maybe you used your left hand to write the letter!” I claimed.

“I wouldn’t do that. I promise Eun-Mi. I haven’t written you any love letters. I’m n-no good w-with words.” U-Kwon said. I sighed once more and gave him his notebook back. If he’s not my secret admirer, then who is?

I started thinking about every single guy in school that could be interested in me but no one pops into my mind. No one would be interested in me anyway. U-Kwon just watched my every more, every sigh and every frown.

“It’s Minhyuk!” U-Kwon suddenly spoke. “What?” I looked at him. He was pointing at Minhyuk’s notebook. I looked down and compared his handwriting to the handwriting on the letter. It totally matched! It was the same handwriting! I’ve known him for years and I yet I still I couldn’t recognize his damn handwriting! My eyes widened.

“Why would he write me love letters?” I mumbled. U-Kwon smiled.

“Because he likes you…” He said. “You like him too right?” “I’m going to slap him…” I uttered ignoring his question. Just then I saw Minhyuk walking towards our table. I folded the letter and put it back in my pocket immediately. I looked at my watch and saw that there was only 5 minutes left before Maths class starts. I decided I was going to confront Minhyuk at the end of the day. I didn’t want us to be awkward while we were still in school. I looked at U-Kwon.

“Don’t say anything.” I mouthed to him before I got up and joined Minhyuk.

“I w-won’t Eun-Mi!!!” U-Kwon called after me.

 

For the rest of the day in school I couldn’t concentrate in my classes. All I kept thinking of was my best friend having feelings for me. I mean, how long has he felt the same way about me? Has he been holding back all this time? If he is, I wanna know why. We were walking home from school in silence and Minhyuk seems to know that something was bothering me.

“Guess what?” I broke the awkward silence.

“You’re going out with U-Kwon?” Minhyuk mused. My jaw dropped.

“What?! No I’m not!” I squeaked. His face was serious. Was he jealous?

“You two seemed to have been engaged in a pretty interesting discussion earlier in the library…” Minhyuk trailed off. I couldn’t read his expression. “No I just confronted him. I asked if he was my secret admirer.” I replied.

“Is he your secret admirer?” Minhyuk put on his poker face.

“No. You know who my secret admirer is.” I flashed him a smirk. We were in front of my house now and he has turned incredibly pale.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Eun-Mi.” He laughed nervously.

“It’s you isn’t it? You’re my secret admirer!” I poked his chest. All the blood seemed to have drained from his face. I chuckled at his expression.

“Fine, I like you Eun-Mi. Is that so bad?” He blurted out. I gulped.

“Are you being serious?” My voice wavered. He nodded simply.

“Then why didn’t you just tell me? Why did you to decide to be so mysterious and write that love letter?” I demanded. I never saw Minhyuk as the mysterious one. He always had been up front about everything.

“Because I wanted to know how you would react if you found out you had a secret admirer…” He explained.

“I thought if I just admitted my feelings towards you, you wouldn’t understand.” He pouted cutely. A smile spread across my face. This is the perfect time to admit my feelings too. “Minhyuk oppa, I like you too.” I whispered. A blush crept up my cheeks.

“You like me??” He shook my shoulders gently. I nodded at him repeatedly.

“So all this time we’ve liked each other and none of us admitted it to one another…” He pursed his lips.

“I didn’t want to tell you cos I was positive that you didn’t feel the same way…” I responded. He placed his hand on my cheek making me look up.

“I thought you only saw me as your dorky best friend…” Minhyuk admitted.

“You are dorky oppa,” I giggled.

“So you like me huh?” I grinned. “Only you…” Minhyuk smiled, leaned in and kissed my lips softly. Butterflies went crazy in my stomach and I had goose bumps all over. When our lips parted, we looked into each other’s eyes and smiled widely.

“So what now?” I asked sheepishly.

“You’re mine now Eun-Mi…” Minhyuk winked at me.

***