01

City Lights

You stepped into the familiar office that you worked at everyday, small, crammed, and not to mention, old. The only things that really fit into the room are a desk with a computer on it and a chair. You never knew why your office was the only one that was like this. Everyone else have those modern glass cubicles when you are sitting in some kind of old jail cell that's too old for even prisoners to stay in.

 

With a sigh, you sat down on your chair as you turned on your computer to start you boring day. Hopefully, today you'll be able to leave and investigate a scene for once. You were about to start looking at the files that you need to inspect when you felt your phone vibrate in your pocket.

 

It was your boss calling you, and you suddenly tensed up as you sat up straight and took a deep breath before answering the phone. "Hello?" You calmly said into the phone as you waited for your boss to reply. "Hello. Is this Kim Mira?"

 

"Yes, this is Kim Mira. Is there anything that you need from me today?" You hoped for a promotion, but you knew it was too early for that. "I heard many things about your work that you have done, and I was wondering if you would be able to fill in for someone."

 

"I'll do my best! But what am I filling in for?" There was a silence on the other line and you started to feel nervous about this job that you had to fill in for. "There will be a man that will be at your door after this phone call. He will explain everything. I can't do much more help than this. All I can say is that nothing is as it seems."

 

The call ended as soon as he was done, and you knew that this was not going to be an easy task. Just as your boss had said, there was a knock on your door, and you reluctantly opened it. There stood a guy around your age that stood in a dress shirt with dress pants. He had no expression on his face as he entered your office before you could say anything.

 

"Uhm-" He held a finger to signal to be silent, and you knew that something was wrong. He searched your office for something, and you wanted to help but you didn't know what he was searching for. He suddenly stopped in one of the corners and started to search through the items.

 

Suddenly, he pulled out your bag and search through it. You were tempted to yell at him for searching through your bag and on the outside, but you knew you had to be silent. He finally peeled out a small recording device attached on your bag, and you were almost shocked, not knowing why someone would put that on your bag.

 

"Oh, hey Hyemi! I heard you were filling in for me at the annual concert." You were confused for a second, but you decided to play along. "O-oh, yeah. I mean I don't know if I'll be able to be as good as you because I don't know how to sing or anything." 

 

"Oh it's okay! I'll teach you some tricks. And you don't have to worry. Only police and prosecutors are going to watch, not JYP or YG. Let's go outside for some lunch, then after I'll teach you." He put down the device and signaled for you to get out. "Okay, but you'll have to buy the lunch!" 

 

Both of you walked out of the room and both of you stayed silent until you left the building. "What was that?" You asked, but all he did was drag you towards a small building near the police station. It was an old run down building, and you were almost regretting accepting the job. 

 

As soon as you entered the empty building, he finally relaxed and sat down as he calmed his heart rate. "What was that back there?" You asked as you sat next to him. "There were too many people watching." He said as he sighed in relief. "My name's Choi SungMin. I work as a close assistant to your boss." "Hello, my name is Mira by the way, not Hyemi."

 

"I know that. It was too dangerous to reveal your name back there so I used Hyemi." SungMin said as he took out a folder with a few papers in it. "This is what you are going to have to investigate with me." You shuffled through the papers to see a bunch of murders and you wondered what they even had in common because they all lived in different places with different ways of killing their victim. 

 

"So you're saying we have to investigate all these people?" SungMin nodded, and you took a deep breath as you looked through them again. "Well what are you waiting for! Let's get started shall we?"