Fortune Telling for Dummies

Fortune Telling For Dummies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae considered if he would be charged for murder if he picked up the large crystal ball on the table and hurled it at Heechul's head. He settled instead for pinching the bridge of his nose hard and asking in a very pained voice. 'Hyung, why is there a crystal ball on a table in the middle of what is supposed to be my kissing booth?'

Heechul grinned at him. 'That's because we decided to put Sungmin in charge of the kissing booth instead.' He stuck his head around the corner of the tentage and yelled for him, before someone yelled something back at him and Heechul gave said person the finger. 'Incompetent people. But anyway, we decided he would bring more money in manning the kissing booth than you would. So we gave you the fortune telling booth instead. Bye now!' Heechul had the audacity to waggle his fingers at him before flouncing away. 

Oh who was he kidding, Heechul had the audacity to do everything, and with his power as student body president, he could do anything.

It was a very sad day when he had been persuaded (read: forced) to participate in the student council fundraiser. Calling dibs on the kissing booth, he thought he might have had some fun at least, but it looks like now he would have to stare at wrinkly palm lines for the whole day.

A thought struck him and he ran after Heechul, yelling his head off.

'Heechul hyung, come back! I don't know anything about fortune telling!'

Heechul rolled his eyes and threw a book in his face. 

Hyukjae hit the ground groaning, his eyes slowly clearing to read the title of the book.

Fifteen minutes to browse 'Fortune Telling for Dummies' before the fundraiser began.

Fantastic.

-

Hyukjae was in the middle of shredding a tarot card when Sungmin peeked around his booth. He sourly flung the rest of the cards in his face, ignoring the twinge of guilt he felt at Sungmin's pout.

'I didn't ask to go to the kissing booth.' Sungmin sat down heavily in the chair opposite him. 'Don't take it out on me.'

'You could have said no,' Hyukjae said grumpily. 

Sungmin snorted. 'Nobody says no to Heechul,' he picked up some of the tarot cards lying around his feet before Hyukjae waved him off.

'Leave it. I'm not going to use those. I'm just going to invent from their palms and the crystal ball.'

'Like what?'

'I don't know,' Hyukjae waved a hand around tossing the book behind his shoulder with the other. 'You're going to meet someone new, you're going to pass this test, you're going to fall off a building. Random . It's not like they will believe that I'm really a fortune teller anyway.'

Sungmin raised an eyebrow. 'You haven't seen the outfit Heechul's going to make you wear, have you?'

He took advantage of Hyukjae's stunned silence to drag his hand across the small table, forcing his palm into Hyukjae's hand. 'Here, practice on me while we still can.'

The muscle in Hyukjae's jaw twitched. He may not be on the martial arts team like Sungmin was but he could still pack a punch. The number of people Sungmin had injured in competitions conveniently faded from his mind and he contemplated knocking him on his . Maybe then he could replace him in the kissing booth. 'This is your fault.'

'No, this is Heechul hyung's fault. Now tell me my fortune.'

'I see that you're going to need someone to carry you out of my booth because I'll be punching you in the face.'

' off.'

-

The outfit that Heechul had forced him into had gauzy sleeves and gold embroidery. Gold embroidery. He looked like a genie out of the Arabian Nights. Hyukjae could only hope that the amount of gold face paint he had been slathered in would hide his identity long enough for him to get through the day unnoticed. Well, at least he had abs to show under the thin white top he was in. Small mercies.

He beckoned the next person in line forward and peered as excitedly as he could at her palm, droning on about good results and a promising relationship in her future. Judging by her squeal, it was exactly what she wanted to hear. Judging by all their positive reactions actually, Hyukjae seemed to be pretty good at it.

Now that he got the technique down, Hyukjae was kind of enjoying himself. Deliver a tiny nugget of bad news, oh you might hurt someone or yourself accidentally but it will be balanced out by a new discovery later in the week. Yay!

Hyukjae yawned slightly. It was just after lunch time and the crowd had thinned slightly, with the majority of the crowd heading off to grab food instead of visiting the booths.

He perked up slightly at the sound of voices just around the corner of his booth.

'You can't seriously be doing this.'

'Aww come on, it's just a little bit of fun.'

'It's unscientific,' the first voice deadpanned and Hyukjae snorted unattractively. 'Nobody believes in fortune telling; they're all kooks.'

'It's just for fun Kyuhyun, don't be a wet blanket.'

Someone stepped into sight and Hyukjae bolted upright from where he had been dozing on the table. 'Um, hi?' He kicked himself mentally, what a fantastic greeting.

'Hi,' the other grinned and Hyukjae found himself grinning back. The smile was too attractive for him not to. 'We're here to get our fortunes told.'

'You mean you are,' the voice from outside drawled slowly and the boy in front of Hyukjae rolled his eyes. 'I'm not having anything to do with this.'

'Ignore Kyuhyun,' the boy said, taking a seat and Hyukjae realised with a jolt that it was Lee Donghae, a same year student in a class or two down from his own. Of course it was going to be Lee Donghae. Everyone knew who he was. He was ranked up there in the top ten cutest students of the year, second only maybe to Sungmin. Hyukjae wiped his palms nervously on his pants.

He collected the tokens from Donghae carefully, tucking them away before placing his hands together. 'So what can I do for you today? Crystal ball reading, palm lines, a little genie conjuring?'

Donghae's eyes widened excitedly. 'Can you actually conjure up a genie?'

'Well, it actually involves me telling you to close your eyes and me spinning on the spot and you opening your eyes to see me finish with a flourish,' Hyukjae said sheepishly and he bit his lip as Donghae laughed. There must have been angels singing in heaven as he laughed; the sound was beautiful.

'I guessed as much. Let's just look at the, hm, I don't know, the crystal ball? It sounds fun.'

Hyukjae was almost disappointed that he wouldn't get to hold Donghae's hand. But he shook it off and pulled out the crystal ball from where he had stashed it under the table. It was swirling with faint white smoke, some funky thing Heechul had probably found in some thrift shop, but it was enough to get Donghae's eyes to widen in wonder again.

'Whoa, you're like the real deal huh? Did Heechul hyung hire you from somewhere outside of school?' His eyes were still trained on the crystal ball and he missed Hyukjae's startled look. 'I don't think you're a student at all.'

Hyukjae shrugged carelessly before he paused, cocking his head to the side. A plan was forming in his head, not a very smart plan but a plan all the same. And if this particular plan went well maybe he wouldn't be hopelessly single for awhile. It was worth a shot, right?

'You're right,' he sat up straight and nodded emphatically. 'I'm not a student. I've been studying the art of fortune telling for years now.'

Donghae's mouth fell open in amazement and Hyukjae felt his chest puff up in pride, to his own consternation. There was nothing to be proud of. He was basically cheating Donghae's feelings. 

But it was all for love, he argued with the rational part of his brain, and so he pressed on.

'I see that you will meet someone today. You've been lonely of late, and this boy will fulfil your need for companionship,' Hyukjae was using his most mysterious voice. The twinge that his heart had given when Donghae had nodded sadly when he mentioned him being lonely was making him uncomfortable and he stared harder into the depths of the cheap and fake crystal ball.

'Where will I meet him?' Donghae's voice was hushed, almost reverent in tone. There was a scuffling noise outside but they both ignored it. 'When will I meet him?'

'Possibly near the end of the day. Wait, I see something else - ' Hyukjae leaned closer, staring at god knows what in the smoke but Donghae leaned forward eagerly as well. 'After all the booths have closed, he'll be strolling about. You'll know him because he'll come up to you and tell you that you have the most beautiful eyes that he has ever seen.'

'Wow,' Donghae looked up. Hyukjae made the mistake of looking straight into the pair of most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. He gulped nervously. 'Wow, that was really exact. Can I just - '

'Donghae!' Kyuhyun said exasperatedly. 'You're wasting too much time, can we leave already?'

Donghae pouted and a strange sinking and swooping sensation appeared in Hyukjae's stomach. It was a physical reaction to Donghae's alarming levels of cute, he just knew it. 'But I had a question about my fortune, I - '

'Donghae,' Hyukjae interrupted. Donghae returned his attention to him and he smiled as charmingly as he could. 'Don't worry, if it's meant to be, he'll find you.'

Nodding with a serious look on his face, Donghae stood and bowed slightly. 'Thank you for all your help,' he said formally, before leaving with Kyuhyun.

Hyukjae stared after him, the swooping feeling in his stomach still continuing to make him feel like he was free falling on a roller coaster or through the skies. Grabbing for his phone, he mentally calculated the time until the booths were due to close. Hyukjae sighed. Three more hours till he could wander around and locate Donghae.

If he could locate Donghae.

-

Hyukjae bolted the minute Heechul's voice came over the PA system announcing that all recreational booths were closed. He ripped the gauzy clothes off his torso, flinging them into a corner of the classroom they were using as a temporary changing room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter