Final Warp

I'd Go Back in Time for You

Sungmin pushed the 'warp' button in his watch and the silver whirl pool appeared in front of him. Now he found himself sitting in his swivel chair. 

 

Don’t tell me I’m back? I haven’t done anything yet! He thought frantically, he was about to set documents flying when he heard Kyuhyun come in.

“Just as I thought, stuck in your work again,” Kyuhyun said, his hands placed at the side of his hips. “What about you’re date with nuna? Don’t abuse her kindness Sungmin.” 

 

So I’m still time travelling and finally at the right time, Sungmin thought. But at this hour, he looked at his watch; I’m already heading towards the opera house.

 

 “C’mon, let’s go!” Kyuhyun said as he tugged on Sungmin’s arm when he saw him still plastered on the chair.

             

   Kyuhyun was still pulling him, even though they were outside the office. He kept blocking every employee who wants to talk with Sungmin.

“Can you let go of me now, we’re in the elevator.” Asked Sungmin, tired from the brisk walk. Besides this would be huge trouble if I would meet me… ah! I’m making no sense already! He thought restlessly. But Kyuhyun was still holding him. He had that blank expression on his face, like he was thinking of something.

“KYUHYUN!” he called and surprised Kyuhyun.

“Sorry.” And Kyuhyun let him go. When the doors opened, Sungmin immediately headed for the bathroom.

“You go right ahead. I’ll catch up. Promise!” he said before Kyuhyun could catch him and dashed for the men’s room. When he got in, everyone was bowing him with respect. Has Kyuhyun been this annoying? Yet useful.

 

...

                Kyuhyun was waiting outside the men’s room, making sure that Sungmin gets to his date with Sunny. After 30 minutes, Sungmin still hasn’t come out of the restroom. He decided to get in and look for him. Kyuhyun had opened almost all the cubicles but no Sungmin to be found.

His phone rang and when he saw the caller ID he was shocked when he saw the name registered –Sungmin-

“Hello?” he said.

“Kyuhyun, where are you right now?” asked Sungmin on the other line.

“I’m at your company.”

“Really? What luck!”

Kyuhyun was more lost than before.

“You see I’ve left a very important document at my table and I really need it, so can you please send it here,” pleaded Sungmin.

“Send it where?” I thought Sungmin was inside the restroom asked Kyuhyun mentally as he continued to ransack the rest of the cubicles.

“At the theatre of course! I’m gonna hang up now, Sunny is coming back,” answered Sungmin and hung up.

“How could he have flown all the way there?” muttered Kyuhyun as he turned the faucet on and washed his face. “What the hell am I doing with my life?” he muttered again as he sighed deeply. He wiped his dampened face and went back to Sungmin’s office to get the document he wanted.

 

...

It has always been like this. Whatever Sungmin asked Kyuhyun would be ready to fetch it for him, even helping him with his problems with Sunny even though the sight of them together brings pain.

 

“This will be the last time I’ll do you any favors,” threatened Kyuhyun, Sungmin just gave him a hug, a smile and 'thanks' then he left with Sunny to continue with their date.

“You always say that but there’s always gonna be a next time,” said Sungmin and took Kyuhyun by surprise.

“I thought you were – what are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked, his head aching from the confusion.

“Want a cup of coffee?” said Sungmin. 

I’ve already messed up your mind, I’ll just continue messing with it. I’m sorry Kyuhyun Sungmin thought as he led the way.

 

 “I know how stupid I sound alright.” Answered Kyuhyun to the statement Sungmin had asked minutes ago. They were having coffee at a nearby shop. If you would just stop smiling and giving me that “friendly” hug I would have stick to my word thought Kyuhyun as he gazed at Sungmin’s face unnoticed.

“Sorry if I always ask from you every time. You must really be irritated at me,” said Sungmin and flashed him that smile. Their eyes met and Kyuhyun immediately diverted his gaze.

“It’s no problem, we’re in-laws…” he tried to sound calm. Besides, how can I say no to you? I love you too much. “But I’m really irritated at it so quit doing it!” he added trying to sound angry.

 

...

                He was a few hours away from the accident, few hours to stop it from happening and save his wife but instead he's here with Kyuhyun chatti. It was Kyuhyun who ended their conversation and left.

“Unlike you, I still have patients to attend to… you’re really good at wasting my time, Sungmin,” said Kyuhyun as he was about to leave. “Go back to nuna, she’ll be angry if you’d choose your work over her again.”

Sungmin answered him by sticking his tongue out.

Kyuhyun sighed deeply, “One-sided,” he muttered as he looked away from Sungmin.

“What was that?” Sungmin asked.

“Nothing!” he immediately replied.

 

                Sungmin looked at his watch –three hours till the accident- “I’d better hurry.” He muttered and hailed a taxi. He finally arrived at the 7-star restaurant without any idea how to tell himself about the upcoming misfortune.

“Hmm.. how can I make myself believe what I say or how can I make Sunny believe me?” Sungmin mused as he paced at the door. “I know I’ll text message him!” Sungmin searched for his phone until he remembered he didn’t bring it. So he went to borrow from the guard.

don’t go to the fireworks tonight he texted and sent it.

 

“What’s wrong Sungmin? It’s not some emergency again is it?” Sunny’s voice sounded threatening and not worried.

“Hehe.. of course not. Some weirdo telling me not to go to the fireworks display tonight. Let’s just enjoy our dinner okay?” replied Sungmin.

 

                From the view outside, Sungmin knew that he didn’t believe his text message. Of course I wouldn’t believe it! stupid! He lectured himself as he continued to pace outside more agitatedly. But we looked so happy, how can something so wonderful end so fast? I have to save them! I have to save Sunny even if it’s the death of me!

 

                Sunny and Sungmin had just left the restaurant and are on their way to the fireworks display.

      Thirty minutes left.

Sungmin followed them using a car he just rented. Reliving this incident is bringing chills down his spine, he can’t believe he’ll witness this again but this time he’ll have both eyes open.

”I will not let you die Sunny!” vowed Sungmin to himself but it suddenly hit him, like cold water poured down on him.

 

FLASHBACK

They were enjoying the ride. He was the one driving; their favorite song was played over the radio. Sunny was all smiles, he saw ahead a 10-wheeler truck going out of its way. He honked at it, but it continued on its path. Sungmin stepped on the brake but the car continued to move forward.

“Sungmin, what’s wrong?” asked Sunny worriedly.

“It won’t budge. Don’t worry, it’s just needs more power,” answered Sungmin as he continued to step on the brakes harder. Sunny clutched tighter around Sungmin’s arm. Luckily, the truck driver woke up and whirled the vehicle to the right path and the brake finally worked.

But… a van suddenly hit the car… everything happened so fast…

 

                “That was no friggin’ accident.” Sungmin said almost in a whisper. “Someone planned the whole thing!” he drove faster. He tried to overtake them but he forgot how fast he can drive. Sungmin still tried to stop the inevitable from happening. Honking together to awaken the truck driver, but nothing changed. This time, however, he saw the face of the perpetrator!

 

“No way! IT CAN’T BE!!!” Sungmin called out as he left the car. Something he saw shook him, but for some reason his body moved on its own accord, going to the scene, checking the people inside.

Sunny was barely alive, and he was still conscious, reaching out for Sunny. His head was full of blood.

“ANYONE HELP!” Sungmin yelled, that blasted driver had already left. “Don’t die! Sunny don’t die!” Sungmin called out as he tried to stop the blood from rushing out of Sunny’s torso. He suddenly stopped. 

 

So it was me – the me from the future – who yelled out, the one who had warned me about the strange truck. He suddenly realized. Yes, it wasn’t Sungmin but the car from behind that noticed the strange way the truck was going. He can’t believe it but he was saved by his own self!

Thirty minutes later the ambulance have arrived.

                Sungmin left immediately and this time didn’t wait for the Portal. He pushed the 'warp' button and was back in the present. Kyuhyun was waiting for him, idly sitting in his chair.

 

...

                Sungmin! Kyuhyun cried out on his mind as he jolted up. He couldn’t help but smile at the sight of him, back and safe but he felt something different. Sungmin’s eyes were red and puffy, evident that he has been crying. Sungmin took out a spear from his collection of martial arts weapons.

“Why did you do it?” asked Sungmin, threatened Sungmin.

“What are you talking ab-“ Kyuhyun said with his hands up in defense, backing away from Sungmin.

“Why did you do it, DON’T act like you know nothing,” continued Sungmin. He has never sounded nor looked so much like a monster until now.

 

 

“WHY’D YOU KILL YOUR SISTER KYUHYUN!”

 

 

 Kyuhyun was shocked. He pplaced his hands at his sides and looked straight at Sungmin’s eyes.

“I was trying to save her Sungmin. I was at the hospital taking care of the both of you,” he replied calmly.

“LIAR!” shouted Sungmin. “I saw you. You were the one on that van that hit our car! I couldn’t think well then, perhaps it’s my mind’s way of coping from the tragedy but now it’s all clear. You planned everything. The brakes and that hit-and-run car.”

“Why’d you think I was aiming for nuna?” replied Kyuhyun sarcastically. “You sound so ridiculous Sungmin.”

“The way you smashed your car onto mine, it was in the angle that could ensure major damage to the passenger, and it was as if you had already calculated that the brakes would not ultimately fail. Coz it could’ve been me that had been dead by now because of that truck. You’ve calculated everything and in the hospital –“

Kyuhyun listened to him silently, his heart racing, he couldn’t have seen what happened in the hospital? And as if reading his mind Sungmin punched him.

 

“Okay I did it!” Admitted Kyuhyun, his lower lip bleeding.

“But why?! Why Sunny, for God’s sake Kyuhyun she’s your sister!”

“So what?!” retorted Kyuhyun slowly standing up. “She always gets what she wants. She’s always the favorite, I hate it! Maybe I have no right to say this coz I’m the illegitimate kid but… I still hate it!”

“And you killed her for that?! She has always been nice to you. Sunny loves you!”

“And I love you.”

Now it’s Sungmin’s turn to be taken aback. “What?” Sungmin asked almost in a whisper. 

! I really told him. Now there’s no turning back. Kyuhyun thought bitterly. “Yes I love you Sungmin, more than a brother. I thought it would be fine just the three of us even when I found out about your relationship I still smiled and thought that it would still be fine. But it’s not. It’s never been alright!”

“So you killed her?”

Kyuhyun nodded, looking straight at Sungmin’s eyes, there was no guilt found on them, just the satisfaction of being able to kill. Sungmin punched him once again.

 

“Didn’t you even feel the least bit guilty?” he asked once again. But Kyuhyun’s face never showed any guilt and that angered him.

“Sunny knows about it, my feelings for you, she knows about that incident too but perhaps she felt like wanting to protect me, she didn’t say a word of it until her last breath. Pitiful really. She said ‘take care of Sungmin, alright? Now it’s your turn to take care of Sungmin. I’m sorry that I hurt you…’ well it’s good that she realized that she had no more time left, that she had zero chances of surviving.. “

 

Another punch by Sungmin. Sungmin was in tears. Why am I crying? Why, why, why? 

Kyuhyun was hurt, emotionally, when he saw Sungmin in tears.

 

“Why, why do you have to do that? We could’ve lived together – the three of us. You and Sunny were the only family I am left with. You’re as important to me as Sunny is!” Sungmin’s voice was shaky. Kyuhyun wanted to reach out for that crying face, hug that vulnerable body and comfort it but it seems he lost the energy to even stand up.

“Well, you hate me now don’t you? Why don’t you call the police?” he suggested.

But Sungmin was silent. Slowly Kyuhyun stood up. I never win. I’m always second best.

 

“I can never make you happy now.” Kyuhyun was moving closer to The Portal. “I thought that if I can make you forget Sunny, that I can make you smile again I will admit to my crime and get myself locked up.” He started pushing on some buttons.

“Kyuhyun what are you doing?” asked Sungmin worriedly. Kyuhyun just smiled bitterly.

“But even if a year has passed you have thought of no one but Sunny, the first time you smiled was because you finished the time machine for Sunny. It has always been Sunny. So maybe I was a little guilty but I still hate her.”

The Portal was on, the silver whirlpool appeared.

“Hey Sungmin, maybe we could’ve lived together, the three of us. But it would be better if I was out of the picture right? After all, I was never wanted to begin with. I’m sorry for loving you; it has caused you more pain than happiness. Don’t worry after this everything will be set straight. As if I never existed at all” Kyuhyun smiled at Sungmin for the last time, and then he jumped inside the whirlpool.

Few seconds later the Portal self-destructed.

 

...

 

                “Sungmin. Sungmin.” someone was calling out his name. Sunny!  Sungmin woke up and found Sunny hovering above him.

“You’re so mean! Sleeping during my favorite play,” Sunny said with a pout.

“Huh? Where are we?” he said, still disoriented.

“Where’s Kyuhyun?” as he straightened up.

“Kyuhyun? Who’s Kyuhyun, anyway let’s go. I’m still going to forgive you for dozing off if you treat me for dinner,” replied Sunny with a smile.

 

But it would be better if I was out of the picture right? 

 

He really did it, Kyuhyun erased his existence. No maybe Sunny is just playing with me. Sungmin tried to brush off the thought from his mind.

“You sure you don’t know anyone by the name Kyuhyun? Maybe a brother perhaps” he asked again. Sunny eyed him suspiciously.

“Sungmin, what’s gotten into you? I’m an only child, remember. You really need to relax from all that work.”

 

I’m sorry for loving you; it has caused you more pain than happiness.

 

 Sungmin couldn’t stop himself from crying.

“Sungmin?! Is anything wrong?” Sunny was worked up, she hugged Sungmin not knowing what else to do.

“I don’t know why but I just can’t stop these tears from falling.” I did get Sunny back but why do I have the feeling that I still lost something very important… Sungmin thought.

Kyuhyun and the memories with him were slowly dissolving until nothing was left.

 

As if I never existed at all…