Chapter XI

The Eternal Conqueror (Omnia Vincit Amor)

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

Daybreak found Kyungsoo waiting eagerly in the courtyard, bathed in hues of amber and rose. He sat on the rim of the limestone fountain, where the cherub centerpiece gurgled happily, the statuette’s chubby little arms drawing a bow pointed towards the clouds. As his eyes scanned the heavens, Kyungsoo bounced up and down where he sat, the morning’s chill and his own barely suppressed excitement causing his body to positively thrum with energy.

At the tell-tale whisper of wind, Kyungsoo shot to his feet as Zephyrus landed gracefully on the cobbled stone, his anemoi attendants setting the boy’s sisters down gently. In a flash Kyungsoo was racing across the ground, bare feet pounding heavily on the cold tiles, throwing himself into his sister’s welcoming arms.

Zephyrus watched in silent amusement as the siblings tumbled to the ground in a flail of limbs, sounds of happiness and laugher echoing through the palace gardens. He noted with satisfaction the brightness in his young master’s eyes and the dazzling smile on his young master’s face as the prince eagerly pulled his siblings by the hands into the hall, all three of them practically glowing with joy.

A wave of his hand is all the god of the west wind needed to set the dining room for three, the monolithic chairs pulled out and waiting for their guests and master. The table was set with sumptuous goods, plates teeming with delicately decorated cakes, piping hot buns, choice selections of meet. Small vessels containing amber honey and pitchers of wine were placed attractively across the marble surface. The centerpiece of the table was a beautiful fountain-like dish, filled to the brim with verdant fruits of every color.

As they were seated, Kyungsoo’s sisters studied their surroundings with amazement. The room was spacious, airy, with columns that were elegantly carved and a vaulted ceiling high above. The rest of the palace was just as fantastic from what they had seen when they were led through the halls by the handsome wind god before he left to attend to his other duties.

But what was truly most incredible was the sight that was before them. Their little brother, whom they all thought was surely dead, sat before them, very much alive and well, his soft red lips a heart-shaped smile. Kyungsoo looked healthy, happy, almost seeming to emit a rosy radiance.

Seeing him now washed away all their fears. A year had passed since their younger brother had been left for dead on Apuleius’ peak, and it seemed that he had passed his time in this celestial dwelling content and well-cared for.

As she took a sip from her wineglass, the elder leaned against the table, propping her chin on her open hand. “Tell us about your husband,” she said eagerly, giggling as a heavy flush raced across her brother’s cheeks.

“He’s very kind,” the boy said, fiddling with his hands beneath the table, his ears slightly pink. It was obvious he was infatuated with his husband, and his sisters’ hearts melted at the sight. “He is so very good to me, sisters. He never fails to make me laugh, and he’s always so gentle—“

“Oh, do tell, little brother. He’s gentle, you say?” the eldest cooed, latching onto the less decent interpretation of her brother’s words.  “Does this extend to the bedroom, too?” she teased, practically cackling as her brother buried his hands into his arms in embarrassment at the sudden change in tone of their conversation.

“He must be a generous lover,” the younger princess sing-songed as she joined her elder in playfully harassing their youngest sibling, reaching across the table to pull at his cheeks. “Does he treat you sweetly, like you're a delicate little flower? Or do you prefer rough handling, dear little brother?”

“Must you be so indecent?” Kyungsoo wailed, hiding his flaming face in his hands as his sisters advanced, each grinning evilly. They converged on him, hands squabbling at his sides until he was a choking mess on the floor, all flailing limbs and shrill shrieks as they tickled them to submission.

“Give us all the dirty details, little Kyungsoo!” the eldest chortled as she dug her fingers into Kyungsoo’s side, causing him to laugh uncontrollably. “Don’t hide anything from your darling sisters!”

It was only after a painstakingly long struggle that Kyungsoo managed to tear himself away, and as he was chased through the halls of his own home by his hooting sisters, he couldn’t help but beam madly. Even as he hid under a cramped space beneath one of the spiraling staircases, sandwiched behind a large marble statue, he couldn’t contain his grin. No matter how much he used to complain and whine about their over-the-top actions and joking torment, he really did miss his sisters, even their wild antics and endless teasing. 

 

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

“You’re only going to be separated for three days,” Luhan whined as Jongin sat moping on one of his plush couches. “If you’re going to be a brat about it, why even leave him in the first place?” he demanded as he took the seat next to Jongin, poking the younger god squarely in the forehead.

Jongin sighed, pouting in a way that reminded Luhan of a crestfallen child. “He really misses his family,” he said. “So I had Zephyrus bring his sisters up to see him. I didn’t want to intrude—“

“You what.” Luhan’s face was suddenly frigid as he shot to his feet. Jongin blinked in confusion at his sudden change in temperament. "You did what.”

“I had Zephyrus bring his sisters up to see him?” Jongin repeated, looking perplexed as Luhan rolled his eyes exasperatedly.

“Jongin, you never give a trapped animal a taste of freedom!” Luhan pronounced slowly as if he were speaking to a foolish child, breathing heavily through his nose. “It will be reminded of what it’s missing. If you think letting him see his sisters is going to keep Kyungsoo from being sad and miserable, let me assure you, the only thing you will do is remind him of everything you’ve taken away from him—“

“Luhan.” Jongin’s voice was steely, all hints of silly moping gone. The god of beauty stopped midsentence, nostrils flared. “I believe we’ve had this conversation before.”

“We have, and that’s because you’re an idealistic fool who insists on believing everything the ‘love of your life’ says just becau—“

“I trust Kyungsoo,” Jongin said icily, his eyes hard. It was clear he wouldn’t tolerate another word on the subject.

Luhan’s pretty eyes narrowed, and he gritted his teeth, his beautiful face twisting inhumanly. “Once upon a time, you trusted me too. Try to remember that, Jongin.”

 

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

“By the way, where is your husband?” the eldest princess asked as she played with the crumbs on her plate. She and her sister had finally successfully trapped Kyungsoo after they found him hiding beneath a couch in the gargantuan library. They were currently in the apartment where the princesses were to sleep during their stay, their brother coddled securely between them. It was now evening, the grate crackling with warm flames. Zephyrus had their dinner delivered to their apartment earlier that evening after the three royals had tired themselves out from their wildgame of cat-and-mouse. Thoughtfully, she placed her empty plate on the low table. “I’d like to meet him.”

“H-he’s out on a three day expedition,” Kyungsoo said uncertainly. “H-hunting. He enjoys hunting a lot during the day.”

The sisters’ shrewd eyes couldn’t fail to notice the way he chewed his lips and refused to meet their gaze. He was also fiddling with his hands, a tell-tale sign from their childhood that he was fibbing.

“Kyungsoo-ah, you’re doing that thing where you pinch your thumb whenever you lie again,” the younger princess said as she took his hands in hers, rubbing them warmly in her grasp. Kyungsoo relaxed his grip on his thumb, sighing as he settled his head on her shoulder. “It’s alright if you don’t want to answer. I’m sorry if we’re prying too much into your daily business.”

“No, it’s alright,” he said, snuggling closer in their embrace. “It's just that honestly, I don’t know what he does during the day.”

“You only see him at night?” his eldest sister hummed, combing her fingers through his hair. Kyungsoo shook his head.

“In truth, I’ve actually never seen him,” he confessed, his eyes reflecting the warm hues of the flickering flames. “He only ever comes to me under the cover of darkness.”

The younger princess opened to say something, but was interrupted when there was a sharp rapping on the door. After being allowed admittance, Zephyrus stepped through the door, bowing politely.

“Here are some bedclothes for you, your Highnesses,” the wind god said as he placed the silken robes on the dressing table before turning to face Kyungsoo. “Young master, it’s high time you retired. Come.”

Sighing, Kyungsoo gently released himself from his sisters’ embrace, shuffling out the door with a called, “Good night, see you in the morning!”

They watched as their brother disappeared out the door with the west wind, the door shutting quietly behind him. At this newest revelation, the eldest princess turned to her sister, her porcelain brow slightly furrowed.

“What do you think about that?” she murmured quietly as she undressed, pulling on the silken nightgown. “Why does his husband hide from him?”

The younger princess shook her head, soft black locks bouncing. “It doesn’t matter why,” she said gently. “His husband’s reasons are his alone. So long as he treats our brother well, I don’t think we should interfere. Besides, you see how happy Kyungsoo is. It’s obvious his new husband cares for him very much.”

“Still,” the elder wheedled as she sat up on the covers. “It’s awfully suspicious, isn’t it? Why should his husband conceal himself if he’s got nothing to hide?”

“Sister, I think you are reading too much into this—“

She was cut off as her sister shrieked, eyes wide. The younger princess whirled around, searching for the cause of her sister’s sudden blanching.

Among the warmly flickering flames in the grate was a graceful bird, with snowy white plumage and a long, elegant neck. The swan sat nestled in the crackling fire as if it were swimming in a cool lake, undeterred by the blazing coal and fire around it.

This was obviously no mere bird.

Locking its beady eyes on the two princesses, the bird opened its beak, startling the two royals when words spilled from it mouth.

“Princesses, I come bearing a warning. Your brother is in grave danger. The man he calls his husband is no more than a savage beast that bides its time in the shadows. Your brother has foolishly accepted the monster’s honeyed lies and comes to it complacently every night, unsuspecting to its wicked intentions.

“I have been sent to you by my master in an effort to save your brother from the darkness he so foolishly trusts.” The magnificent bird spread its wings, two objects falling from the downy folds to clank against the floor. Scrambling closer, the princesses could see that they were a simple lantern and a sharpened knife. “Both these tokens are enchanted. The lamp will light at its bearer’s command, and the knife will tear through any hide. Take them to your brother. Using the lamp he must see the truth, and rend the beast’s head from its body before it is too late. Make the prince swear on the River Styx he will take these two items with him on the eve of your departure when he enters his bedchamber, or his life will be forfeit.”

With trembling hands the princesses took the god’s gifts, turning them over slowly in their hands. As soon as their hands came in contact with the polished metal surfaces of the objects, the bird vanished, leaving behind the lingering scent of rose.  

 

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

A/N: I'm trying to write and update as quickly as I can before I return to college where free time is pretty much nonexistent OTL