Chapter I

The Eternal Conqueror (Omnia Vincit Amor)

Jongin’s eye twitched as another high-pitched shriek shattered the morning calm of the palace. With a resigned sigh the young god of love set his books down before leaving the balcony, stomping up numerous staircases until he came to the palatial bedchamber of his mentor and current source of annoyance.

“Luhan, what are you doing?” Jongin muttered, eyebrow raised in judgment as the god of beauty let out another wordless shriek. Luhan was usually quite ethereal, with his lovely blonde hair, doe-like eyes, and statuesque features, but now his generally impeccable hair looked like nothing more than a mass of tangled straw as he tore at it in frustration, his eyes narrowed and wild. The god of beauty clutched at his gigantic silver mirror and whirled around, eyes blazing.

“How dare they?!” the blonde screeched, dropping his mirror in a lapse of reason. Jongin quickly caught the accessory before it could shatter against the marble floor. “Those insolent mortals! Comparing my beauty to t-that pasty midget's! I am the god of love and beauty, of lust and pleasure! How dare they compare that pathetic little munchkin to me! How dare they?!

Another inhuman yell, and Luhan was tossing himself onto his bed, bundling himself under his pristine white sheets.

Jongin rolled his eyes as he set the mirror down. “Luhan, are you quite done with your temper tantrum now?”

There were a few moments of silence before the god’s muffled voice, noticeably calmer than it had been a few moments ago, came from underneath the mass of ivory fabric. “…I’m obviously prettier than that mundane mortal. Right?”

The god of beauty sounded like a petulant child, and Jongin laughed.  “Yes, Luhan, everyone on Olympus and earth knows that there is no one more beautiful than you,” he said placatingly, chuckling at his elder’s antics.

Luhan peeked out from under his bedsheets, eyes large. “I’m the fairest in the land?” he asked in a small voice. “Really, truly?”

“No one fairer,” Jongin agreed, and with a sigh Luhan crawled out from under his shelter. The blonde pouted, crossing his arms and the younger wrapped a consoling arm around his slim shoulders. “What’s the matter, Luhan? So many compare their beloveds to you in their love sonnets, yet you’ve never been this upset before.”

Luhan’s face contorted into an ugly grimace. “I don’t mind it when lovers do that. It’s really quite sweet. But these impudent mortals…they’re worshipping him! They’re praying and making offerings to him, offerings that are rightfully mine! And t-they-“ the look on his face grew ever darker-“they’re calling him the human Aphrodite, the second coming of Venus. Some even say that he’s my child. Mine!”

Jongin wordlessly drew Luhan closer, letting the elder relax into his embrace. “I hate him, Jongin,” the blonde mumbled as he pressed his face into the younger’s shoulder. “I hate him so. Punish him for me, please?”

The younger sighed resignedly as Luhan turned his now large and hopeful eyes on him. “Oh, all right,” he promised easily, casting his gaze skyward. “So long as you stop your moping. What do you want me to do?”

Luhan’s answer was swift, and his eyes glinted with vindictive light. “Make him fall truly, madly, and deeply in love with the most despicable creature in existence. Please, Jongin. Do this for me.”

 

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

The human boy who had unwittingly incurred Luhan’s wrath was the youngest child and only son of a powerful king. This king had two other children, two lovely girls, and all three of his offspring were famed for their incredible beauty. The two girls were well aware of their intoxicating attractiveness and had quickly found good matches, but Kyungsoo, the only boy, had yet to marry. Though both men and women sought his hand, the youth remained unconvinced that he was anything special. He refused to believe those ridiculous tales that his sisters told him, the tales about the townsfolk worshipping and calling him the human form of the god of love and beauty. Though his sisters were comfortable in social settings and thrived under the spotlight, Kyungsoo was more comfortable away from human contact. He preferred time alone to being fawned over by throngs of men and women, and took to rarely straying outside his spacious palace home. He hadn’t found love yet, and he wouldn’t marry until he had.

Jongin found the palace with relative ease. It was a beautiful mortal dwelling, large, spacious, and teeming with servants. As he descended from the sky he rendered his body invisible, landing unnoticed in the palace courtyard. He surveyed his surroundings and wondered which way he ought to take when two servant girls carrying baskets filled to the brim with laundry came by.

“Lady Minah visited today, did you hear? The young master declined her invitation to entertain, said he was busy or something,” one girl was saying, brushing her sweaty bangs out of her face.

“The young master is a strange one, always hiding away,” the other hummed, adjusting the basket in her hold.

“Indeed, for his beautiful looks, he sure is loath to let others gaze upon him. I wonder why the young master always stays inside? Always in the library or garden, never out socializing with the young mistresses…”

“Perhaps he’s shy.”

“Why would the young master be shy? He has men and women chasing after him in droves!”

“I know! Have you heard? Lord Hyunsik is quite interested in him…”

“Oh, yes, and that Lady Soo Jung also has her sights set on the young master as well!”

“Ohh, Lady Soo Jung is quite the beauty, Lady Minah is going to have some tough competition….”

“Don’t forget the rest of young master’s suitors. It’s lucky not all of them are as physically attractive as Lord Hyunsik and Ladies Minah and Soojung…Young master already has a hard enough time choosing as it is…”

The two servant girls laughed together before scurrying out of the hall. Jongin watched them go, deciding that he would first look in the garden for the young mortal boy.

When Jongin found the garden, he saw it was empty save a small figure that was huddled beneath the shade of a tree.  The boy was curled in upon himself so that Jongin couldn’t quite see his face. Was this the ethereal human that so many desired? It was hard to tell. With the boy’s face hidden like that, he looked like an ordinary human being, nothing special. Perhaps this boy wasn't Kyungsoo. 

Jongin was about to leave to check the library when a high female voice called “Kyungsoo!”

Ah, so this boy was Kyungsoo.

The god of love turned to see two incredibly striking young women striding across the garden. Both were tall, with shapely figures and picturesque faces, pale and unblemished and dressed in elegant robes.

“Come now,” the other called, “Father’s looking for you! He wishes to speak to you.”

Jongin turned back to see Kyungsoo set his book down, shaking his bangs out of his eyes. The young boy yawned and stretched before standing up.

Jongin’s breath hitched in his throat as the young human boy stepped into the sunlight, his plush lips opened in an adorable yawn. Kyungsoo had dark, liquid eyes that were a beautiful contrast to his pale skin. His ebony hair lay in a soft fringe across his forehead, his full lips a blood-red rose against snowy complexion. While his sisters were tall and voluptuous, Kyungsoo looked slim and small. His petite frame was covered by simple white robes that contrasted greatly with the elaborate robes his sisters sported, but the simplicity seemed to emphasize his natural loveliness even more.

By the gods, Kyungsoo was quite possibly the most beautiful being Jongin had ever laid his eyes on. The love god’s heartbeat quickened, his heart fluttering against his ribcage, and his chest tightened with a wonderful feeling of want and longing. Jongin felt both unbearably warm and cold at the same time, a sensation that should have been uncomfortable or even painful but was instead the best sensation in the world.

Was this how those who were pricked by his arrows felt?

Luhan’s orders were long forgotten. As he watched Kyungsoo totter endearingly out of the garden, all Jongin could think of was how to make the young human boy his. 

 

~oOo0oOo0oOo~

 

A/N: Here's the first chapter! I hope it's not too disappointing.... ;A;