Three

My teacher, my husband

"Ow! Sonsaengnim!" You looked at Mr Jung who appeared next to you in surprise and rubbed your forehead which he had just flicked. The both of you decided to meet in front of the orphanage after school to leave for the honeymoon.

He scoffed, "You seriously have to grow up." You realized what he was talking about and flared your nose in annoyance. 

While you were leaving the school compound, you bumped into Tia and Mr Jung conversing at the hallways. The continuous batting of her eyelashes and the way her body swayed while talking to him made it impossible for you to just ignore it.

As you walked past the duo, you made sure to stop and greet the teacher, "Goodbye, Mr. Jung! I hope you get home safely."

He narrowed his eyes at you but you simply bowed before whispering in Tia's ear, "He's a little too old for you, don't you think?"

"Just imagine how she would react if she knew that her precious Mr. Jung was married. To whom he is married to, especially. Oh, I would definitely pay to see that one."

He shook his head with disbelief at your childishness. You were both waiting outside the orphanage for halmoni, who insisted on meeting the both of you before leaving. "Taekwoon, Yejin!"

Breaking out into a smile, you skipped towards halmoni who stood at the door. "Here, these are your flight tickets and accomodation details. Everything has been settled so you kids just go ahead and relax for the weekend."

"Omo, Jeju? Halmoni, why did you waste so much money on- ow!" You held the top of your head where you had just been hit, "Why did you hit me!"

"Can't you be grateful and not question every deed I do for you for once! Aigoo, leave now before I hit you with something bigger!"

"Ani-" "We'll see you next week, halmoni. We'll get going now." Mr Jung had cut you off before you upset halmoni any further. "Rest well!"

 


Throughout the journey to Jeju, you complained on how much money halmoni wasted on this trip and could have used it for herself instead. Mr Jung who was unfortunately stuck with you had resorted to plugging his earphones into his ears.

"We're here, young couple."

You looked up at the holiday home you were staying at. "My friend's son owns the place, so I was able to get a discount. It's slightly far from entertainment and city life, but at least there is a convenience store nearby!"

After thanking the cab driver, you confirmed your booking and settled in your newly cleaned room. It was a small, beautiful place with an amazing view of the ocean. Amber House, it was called. Definitely something both you and Mr Jung preferred.

You looked at your phone and realized that it was a little past 11pm, yet you were starving. "Sonsaengnim, you can go ahead and wash up. I'm going to stop by the convenience store for a little bit." Mr Jung, who had stood placed your luggages on the floor looked up and nodded.

You looked between the king sized bed and your teacher, "Also, I-I'll take the couch so please do take a rest if you feel tired."

It felt stuffy and painfully awkward being in a room that was specially decorated for newlyweds; rose petals scattered on the bed, a soft fragrance lingering in the air and dim lights covering the room. He stared at you before you quickly turned away, "Okay, I should get going now."

"So awkward, so awkward, so awkward." You shook your head in distress as you walked into the convenience store. You decided to buy cup ramens and triangle kimbabs for the both of you, just in case he got hungry too.

"I am ba-ACK! OMMA-YA!" The plastic bag from your hands dropped onto the floor as you quickly turned to face the other way with your hands covering your face. You had walked in while Mr Jung only had a towel wrapped around his waist. "I'm so sorry sonsaengnim, I didn't know you were changing!" Those sculpted abs- "I'm done now."

Clearing your throat from embarrassment, you slowly unveiled your face and shook your head to get yourself together. What are you imagining, Choi Yejin- "Is this our dinner?"

You jumped at his presence next to you as he bent to pick up the food you had dropped. The awkward silence engulfed the both of you as you opted on staring at his face instead on answering. Only when he raised his right eyebrow did you snap back to reality, "Ah, n-ne!"

He nodded in satisfaction and proceeded to boil water for the ramen. After peeling the wrap neatly off the triangle kimbabs, you waited for Mr Jung to join you out in the balcony with the cooked noodles.

You offered a kimbab to the man seated in front of you, "Here. These taste best with ramen."

"Gomawo." You bit back a smile as you took a bite from your own kimbab. Once again, awkward silence surrounded the both of you and you felt suffocated. You were the opposite from Mr Jung: he was never one to start a conversation, yet somehow you couldn't seem to relax around him.

Having had enough, you looked up. "Sonsaengnim."

If you were going to live with this man for a good period of time, you wanted to at least be comfortable with each other. Showing affection and being intimate with one another was not an option, thus comfort would suffice.

He looked up and locked eyes with you. "I was always curious. Although this may seem like I am invading your personal space - why are you working as a teacher and not inheriting your father's company?"

His blank face softened and relaxed, "If you must know the truth, it was always a dream to become a professional football player since I was young, however things didn't go the way I wanted it to. I had a terrible knee injury and pretty much ever since then, I thought it would be better - and safer - if I could pass my knowledge to other people instead of completely letting that dream go. With this job, I get to play and coach at the same time so I'm content."

Your eyes widened in surprise. Even the almost emotionless Mr Jung had dreams. "And father-in-law is okay with that?"

"He was against it at first but he realized how passionate I was. He supports me now."

Your heart drummed against your chest. He's lucky. I can't imagine myself having a dream, I can't afford it.

"What do you want to be?" You snapped out of your thoughts and looked at Mr Jung who had his eyes trained on you.

You looked at him and scoffed sadly, "I can't even get past high school and you're asking me what I want to be?"

His expression did not change and instead he just stared at you, awaiting for your reply. You gulped, "U-uh well, I guess I wouldn't mind taking over the orphanage when halmoni can't anymore. To provide education, love and shelter for children who weren't given a choice."

The air was silent. Despite not believing in dreams coming true for yourself, you had always wanted to become like halmoni when you became an adult. However, it has been two years and those dreams seemed more impossible to accomplish.

He looked away first and grabbed a mouthful of ramen with his chopsticks, "We'll make sure you past this time. Graduate high school, then we'll make your dreams come true."

You smiled at his thoughtfulness but before you could say anything, he cut you off. "Also, regarding the invasion of personal space; it's only normal between a married couple, no?"

Your eyes flickered over to his features. With blush on your cheeks, you whispered to yourself, "Married couple."

You knew it was wrong of you to feel this way, but somehow, you liked the sound of that. We, us.

 

(A/N: Yes, it has been two years. I hope you still love me because another update tomorrow ok bye)