Is this what I call love?

The Gift

My love story began when I was in high school. I had my eyes on him when I joined a leadership camp. He was humble and a responsible leader. He wasn’t my group leader but I knew him really well. The ‘him’ I meant was Kim Sunggyu.

I didn’t know why I had fallen in love with him but he sure did attract my attention. We didn’t talk much because I was a little afraid of him. He was my senior, one year older than me. I knew that no one would like to talk to a plain Jane like me unless he or she knew me.  

One day, his friend came to me all of the sudden. Yes, I knew his friend as we were in the same club. 

“Hi, Daeun! I heard from your friends that you had a crush on Sunggyu. Was that true?” asked Sungjong as he poked my shoulder. My face began to red in embarrassment.

“Who told you? It was a rumour. Don’t believe it. We’re having truth or dare so it ended up that I had a crush on Sunggyu. But hey, it was not true at all.” I tried to cover my blushing and shocked face by making serious face.

“If you had a crush on him, just tell me. I’ll help you.” he winked at me and left with a suspicious smile. I was speechless.

 

After that day, I began to think about Sungjong’s offer. Should I tell him that I had a crush on him or kept it as my secret? I then made up my decision to keep it as my secret. Only my friends knew that I had a crush on Sunggyu. If I told Sungjong about it, I would definitely face a lot of troubles and problems.

My friends had always asked me to confess my feelings towards Sunggyu but I was not that type who bravely confessed my feelings towards the person. When I logged in into my Facebook account, I was shocked to see a friend request from someone unexpected.  It was a friend request from Kim Sunggyu. I was feeling hesitated to accept it. It would be obvious since I always declined some requests.

I told my best friend about it and guess what, she told me to accept that freaking friend request.

“Daeun, just accept that friend request. Clicking the accept button won’t hurt ya.”

It took a couple of days to think about it. Then I bravely clicked the accept button. I bet Sungjong asked him to add me as a friend.

Things happened after I accepted his friend request. He tried to have a conversation with me. When I saw his first message, I could feel butterflies were flying inside my stomach. I didn’t know what I should reply so I just ignored it. Guilt started to build up inside me.  It was a little bit cliché when I replied his message with only,

“Sorry for the late reply. I went to an extra class.”

It was cliché but it was the only things I could say. I didn’t want to reply his message with a simple ‘hi’. From that day on, we started to have secret conversation that only both of us knew it. Until one day, Sungjong called to see me.

“So, I wanted to ask you something.” he patted the place next to him. I sat beside him.

“About what?” Sungjong crossed his legs and looked at me.

“Do you really like Sunggyu hyung?” I was speechless. I gulped my saliva when I thought of the conversation we just had yesterday.

“If I tell you this, please promise me that you would never tell Sunggyu oppa.” Sungjong smiled at me and nodded his head.

“I do have a crush on him. But I’m afraid to confess to him.”

“Since when?”

“The day that we joined leadership camp.”

“Why?”

“He is humble, responsible, quiet and kind.”

“You’re not obsessed with him right?” he kept shooting me with questions. I kept silence for a while. I did stalk Sunggyu’s profile before but I didn’t manage to read until the first post he posted.

“No. I didn’t obsess with him. I just only had a crush on him. That’s all.” Sungjong nodded his head again.

“Promise me that you wouldn’t tell him.” Sungjong made an ‘okay’ hand and patted my shoulder.

“I promise.”

 

One day, I wished him a happy birthday before going to school so that it wouldn’t be obvious when in school. It would be weird if I walked to him and wished him a birthday, right? As I arrived at school, my friends suddenly congratulated me. I was puzzled.

“Why are you guys congratulating me?” Hyekyu, my best friend cleared and nudged me.

“Did you have a chat with that Mr. S?” my eyes widened in shock. My jaw dropped and hung for a few minutes.

“Who told you?”

“My Woohyun.” Hyekyu blinked her eyes couples of times with her

“But how did he know about it?”

“Daeun honey, Woohyun and Sunggyu are best friends. Probably Sunggyu oppa told Woohyun about it.” Sumin poked my shoulder and winked at me. My face was completely red.

“Why would he tell about it?”

“Well, it means that he actually likes you too!” my friends started to jump in joy. And there was me, palming my face.

“No way would a boy like him have a crush on a plain Jane like me.”

“Nothing’s impossible.” Hyekyu wrapped her arm around neck.

“I’m not sure about it.”

 

Actually, I was feeling happy inside. I wouldn’t show my feelings in front my friends. I just not ready yet. So, is this what I called love?

 


Read my latest story. ^^