Nightmares

The Red String of Fate

 

Hyerin/Yoona's POV

 

"Umma, why do you have a red string attached to your pinky?" Young Hyerin asked her mother

Her mother looked at her finger before ruffling the child's hair, "Silly Hyerin. Umma dosen't have a red string attached to her pinky."

"B-but-"

"Now what are you two talking about?"

"Little Hyerin must have dreamt something yeobo. She asks me why do I have a red string attached on my pinky finger." Her umma answered

"But appa has one too!" Hyerin defended

"Oh, silly girl." Her appa smiled at her before ruffling her hair.

No one listened to Little Hyerin but an old man at the corner of the room that they failed to notice.

 

The scene changes and it shows Little Hyerin looking up at the stars, mumbling to herself.

"Why wouldn't umma and appa believe me? I am telling the truth!"

"They woudn't understand, young one."

Hyerin immediately sat up after hearing a foreign voice.

"Who are you?" She asked

"I am Yue Xia Lao" He said

"W-why are you here? What do you need?"

"I needed to tell you that you, young one, was rewarded an ability by me for being a good girl." Xia Lao said

"What ability?" Curiosity started to go through Hyerin's veins.

"That is the ability to see the Red String of Fate, my child."

"Why me? Why can't they see it?"

"Because you are destined to be the one that holds the Red String of Fate. You can see it and you can help people be together by it. Only some are gifted with oppurtunities such as this."

Xia Lao put down a big bag, more bigger than the bag Santa carries, and asked me to hold it.

"What is this? Why is it so big yet it is so light?" The curious 9-year old asked.

"Open it." Was all Xia Lao said

When Hyerin opened the bag, all she could see was red strings before it exploded and scattered in different directions.

"W-why did it ex-explode?!" Hyerin asked, shocked

"What you saw earlier in your umma and appa's fingers were one of thos red strings. It was just a test to see if you can handle being the handler of the Red Strings of Fate. And you passed." Xia Lao said, ignoring Hyerin's previous question.

"I-i don't--" She began to say but was cut off when she looked up and found herself alone.

"Weird."

The scene changed again and it showed a 10 year old Hyerin being laughed at by her classmates.

"Girl says she can see the "Red String of Fate." More like the "Red Blood of her Ugly Face when I slap her" The girl says while laughing with her friends.

"P-please stop. I-i didn't do any-anything wrong Yura." Hyerin told them.

"Oh trust me you did. You were just born in this world, that's what your did wrong." Yura told her.

"B-but--"

"Hwa Young, Hyun Ok, tie her." Yura said

Hwa Young went and grabbed Hyerin's hands while Hyun Ok tied the ropes. Then they tied the rope to a tree.

"Sorry Ms. Red String of Fate. Where's your fate now?" Hyun Ok smirked at Hyerin.

"Probably left her because she's so pathetic." Hwa Young laughed.

"Come on, girls. We don't want anyone knowing what we did to her do we?" Yura smiled sweetly at Hyerin before they walked away.

The next day, everyone laughed as they saw Hyerin tied to a tree, sobbing. It was not until the staff untied her did the whole school stopped laughing. The principal gave Hyerin permission to stay at home that day.

Hyerin went home sad that day. Her parents didn't even looked for her.

Hyerin did not want this life. She did not want to be able to see the Red Strings of Fate. She only wanted to be a normal kid with a normal life.

When she got home she was met by a luggage full of her things.

"A-appa? U-umma?" Hyerin asked carefully, wondering why the luggage is full of her things.

"Get out." Her umma said coldly.

Hyerin could no longer recognize her umma. Her umma was not the loving, caring and sweet umma. Not this.

"B-but why?" She asked

"Get out." Her appa repeated.

Her appa also was not the same anymore. He was cold-hearted with no care in the world.

Her eyes fell on the red string that are tied to her parent's pinky. They are connected to each other.

"Wh-what's going on?" She asked

"Get out here, you freak!" Her umma yelled

Tears started building up in the corner of her eyes.

"I don't have a daughter who's a monster!" Her appa shouted

That's when tears started flowing down her cheeks.

She's not a monster. She just got an ability but she couldn't harm anyone like a monster could.

"Appa. Umma, please d-d-don't do thi-this." She hiccupped.

Her parents looked at her one last time before slamming the door on her face.

She turned around, only to find her neighbors watching the whole scene. 

"Finally, she's gonna be gone."

"What a crazy person"

Are what she heard them say.

 

"YOONA!" I was awakened when someone shouted in my ears.

I was sweating profusely and breathing hard.

"W-what?" I asked

"You were screaming and thrashing around. NIghtmares?" Tiffany asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah." I answered.

"Well come on, breakfast's ready." She said

"Yeah, I'll just freshen up." I told her before she exited the room.

I splashed water on my face and looked at my reflection.

It's just a nightmare, Yoona. Just a nightmare.

Who am I kidding? It's not just a nightmare, it's my horrible past.

The past that still haunts me every night.

I patted my face with a towel and took a deep breath to calm myself.

I then, walked out and joined my friends in the dining table.

"Oh, there you are!" Sunny said

I sat down and started to fill my plate with food.

"Are you feeling ok?" Taeyeon asked

"I'm fine."

"The usual?" Seohyun asked

I nodded.

They've been used to me having nightmares but it always worries them. I'm grateful to have them as my friends.

"Are you sure you're fine Hyerin-ah?" Sooyoung asked

I froze when she mentioned my true name.

I forced a smiled, "Of course, Sooyoung unnie"

Yuri, sensing that I don't want to talk about it opened another topic.

I sent Yuri unnie a grateful smile and she smiled back.

"Come on, let's get going" Hyoyeon unnie said.

 


 

Hello~~ 1st chappy of The Other End of my Red String of Fate or TOERSF for short. :P

~PandaLover